PDA

View Full Version : Attendance today...

DoggPhood
04-06-2005, 05:32 PM
The announced attendance was 10,520 and the crowd looked even smaller. The teams drew 38,141 for Monday's opener.

h00sierjoe
04-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Well, it's a Wednesday afternoon game in early April. You cant expect huge numbers.

oeo
04-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Exactly...once the 6:05 and 7:05 starts, start in a couple of weeks, there will indeed be bigger crowds. People do have work and school unlike that other team.

DaveIsHere
04-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Did you get the e-mail about 1/2 priced tickets for tomorrows game

Promo code: ODO

Sargeant79
04-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Well, it's a Wednesday afternoon game in early April. You cant expect huge numbers.

Not only that, but the weather report kept threatening rain in the afternoon...I'm willing to bet that kept at home an extra couple thousand that may have been walk ups or even some that already had tickets.

GiveMeSox
04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
The announced attendance was 10,520 and the crowd looked even smaller. The teams drew 38,141 for Monday's opener.

There is no way there was 10k people there. That was probably the number of tickets sold. There are probably 5-7k season tickets sold for today in advance and the people probably didn't show up. I know at least 10 people who have season tickets who didn't go. My guess is the real attendance was about 5-6k. The stadium looked just like it did when I went the double header last May against the O's. They said the same thing then like 12k tickets sold and there was max 6-7k people there, and way less after the long rain delay.

batmanZoSo
04-06-2005, 05:53 PM
It's always like this in April. During the summer, day crowds are much better during the week. If this team contends and wins the division, we'll go well over 2 million. The dropoffs in September have killed us the last few years.

BeerHandle
04-06-2005, 05:55 PM

All the season ticket holders I know did not receive the email and we all receive emails from the Sox.

DaveIsHere
04-06-2005, 05:57 PM
All the season ticket holders I know did not receive the email and we all receive emails from the Sox.

It was a thank you for attending Opening Day e-mail, maybe non-plan holders that ordered online got it. I wish I could go, but like the rest I took Monday off

Here is the body:

http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/email/y2005/ticketing/thanks/040605/pride_204x241.jpgDear White Sox Fan -
http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/trans.gif
Thank you for buying tickets for Opening Day 2005 at U.S. Cellular Field. We hope you had a great time at the game.
As a show of our appreciation for helping us kick off the season, we're happy to offer you half-price game tickets* for the remaining game of Opening Week against the Indians, Thursday, April 7. Simply click on the T ( http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/t-icon.gif ) to order your half-price tickets!
Simply click on the link below and use the following Promotion Code: ODO
Thanks again -
Ozzie Guillen

ewokpelts
04-06-2005, 06:12 PM
I got there in the 8th inning(stuck at work)....it looked like 9 k...i was most likely the last one to get in the park....had the klady scan both my tix

Gene

kevingrt
04-06-2005, 06:24 PM
You came at the perfect time Gene. What a finish! Crowds will come when night games come and people are out of school and off work!

HITMEN OF 77
04-06-2005, 06:37 PM
When I was watching the game on TV today I was guessing 7,000 at most. 10,000+ whoa.

chisox06
04-06-2005, 06:48 PM
You came at the perfect time Gene. What a finish! Crowds will come when night games come and people are out of school and off work!

Exactly, thats the way it is every year.

gocubs
04-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Man that crowd was pathetic, the team should just give tickets away. I haven't seen that many empty seats since I went to church last Sunday.

kevingrt
04-06-2005, 06:57 PM

Thank you so much for that promo code!

Cellview22
04-06-2005, 06:58 PM
It's like this every year; it's like a pattern. I could predict attendance each night throughtout the year.

Later on in the season, when the team is playing well and fans see that they're finally drawing 30K + crowds, then more people will want to go, and we'll start seeing huge crowds. When the casual fan sees that the Sox are drawing small crowds at the beginning of the season, they'd rather wait and go when it's crowded and buzzing. I remember last year watching one of the top stories on channel 7 news about the string of sellout crowds at the Cell... Hopefully we'll see the same thing this summer. :cool:

kevingrt
04-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Anyone into posting various promo codes for us people with less money to get nice discounts on tickets? I love going to half price night, saves mucho mula.

Jurr
04-06-2005, 07:09 PM
I think a comeback win like this will help sales for the next game.
This is a very diverse team that is going to get some butts in the stands, especially if they're winning.

DrCrawdad
04-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Man that crowd was pathetic, the team should just give tickets away. I haven't seen that many empty seats since I went to church last Sunday.

The Sox win in an exciting 9th inning comeback. As per usual, Cubbie fans gloss over the win and two fine pitching performances and want to talk Sox attendance. Actually they're really not interested in talking, it's just the usual putdown.

Godot = :dtroll:

Any chance someone can color this troll gif Cubbie blue?

HomeFish
04-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Who cares? Attendence doesn't win games.

skobabe8
04-06-2005, 08:07 PM

:dtroll:

veeter
04-06-2005, 08:18 PM
My dad, my brother and I were at today's glorious game. I'd say there was 10,000. Also I'm sure they sold a lot more tickets than that. The forecast was very bad for today so I know that kept it small.

cheeses_h_rice
04-06-2005, 08:24 PM
:crossdresser:

Fixed your post for you.

SpammySosa
04-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Anyone into posting various promo codes for us people with less money to get nice discounts on tickets? I love going to half price night, saves mucho mula.

Um,Gene has been doing just that all year long.

Fenway
04-06-2005, 09:19 PM
OK lets see how OTHER teams did in Game 2 or 3 ( and I only picked other afternoon games )

A beautiful day in the 70's a great chance to get excellent seats and STILL only 10,000

Stadium: U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago, IL
Attendance: 10,520 (22.3% full)
Game Time: 2:55
Temperature: 75 degrees, partly cloudy
Wind: 11 mph

Stadium: Comerica Park, Detroit, MI
Attendance: 14,168 (35.3% full)
Stadium: Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, FL
Attendance: 8,764 (20% full) GAME 3 Afternoon
Stadium: Safeco Field, Seattle, WA GAME 3 Afternoon
Attendance: 25,580 (53.5% full)
Game Time: 2:24
Stadium: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY
Attendance: 54,690 (95.1% full )
Stadium: PNC Park, Pittsburgh, PA
Attendance: 12,077 (31.5% full)
Stadium: Minute Maid Park, Houston, TX
Attendance: 28,496 (69.6% full)

ewokpelts
04-06-2005, 09:26 PM
fenway,

dont forget that as of last night, the weather looked VERY BAD for gametime. most people planning on ditching work made thier decision last night.....also, the st holders that didnt go can exchange thier tix for another game(st holder perk), so some may have just sed" hell wit dis...i'll use it later"
Gene

Fenway
04-06-2005, 09:29 PM
I was at The Stadium today and the only empty seats I saw was in the Top of the 9th when the rats deserted the sinking ship

How could they boo Rivera

(not that there is anything wrong with that when he pitches against us ) :cool:

Lip Man 1
04-06-2005, 09:32 PM
It's normal. People who took off Monday can't automatically get another day off two days later. I was watching the Cards / Astros game on the dish this afternoon...that ballpark was half empty as well, particularly in the upper deck.
Maybe the Cubs can sell out for the day after Opening Day but like Lee Elia said many years ago, those folks don't have jobs.

Lip

MRKARNO
04-06-2005, 09:35 PM
It's normal. People who took off Monday can't automatically get another day off two days later. I was watching the Cards / Astros game on the dish this afternoon...that ballpark was half empty as well, particularly in the upper deck.
Maybe the Cubs can sell out for the day after Opening Day but like Lee Elia said many years ago, those folks don't have jobs.

Lip

Bingo. It was foolish of the White Sox to schedule three straight day games in April. It doesnt matter if it's colder at night, more people will come to the games.

Rocklive99

Maybe you should look in the mirror before you accuse others.

Raising prices and parking probably doesn't help either, especially when the casual fan watches BBTN and hears how much we are going to suck. But I agree, around interleague time, or middle of May, I think a combination of our good record, night games, good weather will help us out

HomeFish
How could they boo Rivera

He blew two saves in a row, plus the ALCS.

Yankee fans don't take stuff like that well., They like to see their team win. Unlike fans of a certain other team (two certain other teams before 2004), they don't cheer for mediocrity just because of history (or beer).

Realist
04-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Empty seats for April day games is a White Sox tradition. I go to about 30 games a year and you'd practically have to pay me to go to an April day game outside of the opener.

When I think of baseball at Sox Park, I think hot sticky summer nights that are so humid that it feels like you're walking under water. Oh boy. Now I'm thirsty. Quick - somebody get me a beer!

PAPChiSox729
04-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Empty seats for April day games is a White Sox tradition. I go to about 30 games a year and you'd practically have to pay me to go to an April day game outside of the opener.

I would love to go to any Sox game no matter what the time of year. I do enjoy the summer games better, but a Sox game is a Sox game. I'll take whatever I can get, which is usually only 5 games a year.
:(:

DrCrawdad
04-06-2005, 10:23 PM
OK lets see how OTHER teams did in Game 2 or 3 ( and I only picked other afternoon games )

A beautiful day in the 70's a great chance to get excellent seats and STILL only 10,000

Stadium: U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago, IL
Attendance: 10,520 (22.3% full)
Game Time: 2:55
Temperature: 75 degrees, partly cloudy
Wind: 11 mph

BREAKING NEWS! THIS JUST IN...
THE WHITE SOX DO NOT DRAW WELL

Sox attendance, now there's a dead horse. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20021213l.gif)

Fake Chet Lemon
04-06-2005, 10:37 PM
I proud I did my part and showed up, taking the afternoon off at work. There were only about 7,000 there by my estimate, but more importantly NOBODY left early. Nobody, so everyone there was a die-hard. The Cubs wish they could get 7,000 die hard baseball fans per game. I just missed grabbing Dye's HR by about 6 inches after it bounced off the first dude. It was a great opportunity to check on the FUNdamentals area with the kids. We about had it to ourselves, it's great for kids. Good news, I had the fastest radar pitch of the day:smile: . Bad news, it was only 68mph for this old guy:(: .

I want Mags back
04-06-2005, 10:41 PM
What do Sox fans and beer vendors at Wrigley have in common

JOBS

u cant expect too many on a day game in April

Maggliosfan09
04-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Exactly...once the 6:05 and 7:05 starts, start in a couple of weeks, there will indeed be bigger crowds. People do have work and school unlike that other team.

exactly... because of school and track i haven't even been able to WATCH a game yet on tv let alone go to one :(:

ND_Sox_Fan
04-06-2005, 10:46 PM
I just got back from the game - while the crowd was small, it was die hard fans. Those 7-10,000 fans were farily loud and all were certainly into the game. Like someone else said, all fans stayed to the end and loved every pitch that Big Bobbie threw!!

Go SOX!!

flo-B-flo
04-06-2005, 10:50 PM
It doesnt matter if it's colder at night, more people will come to the games. This is a key. Most folk can't go during the day unless they ditch work. Night games......went to MANY games as an afterthought at night regardless of weather. Nd then crawled to work in the morning.:smile:

Cellview22
04-06-2005, 10:57 PM
I just got back from the game - while the crowd was small, it was die hard fans. Those 7-10,000 fans were farily loud and all were certainly into the game. Like someone else said, all fans stayed to the end and loved every pitch that Big Bobbie threw!!

Go SOX!!

Just as I was reading this, I looked over at the tv and WGN News was just showing highlights and actually showed 3 people alone in a row SLEEPING...LOL:redneck

flo-B-flo
04-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Just as I was reading this, I looked over at the tv and WGN News was just showing highlights and actually showed 3 people alone in a row SLEEPING...LOL:redneck More than likely they were drunk:D:

Hitmen77
04-07-2005, 12:12 AM
10,000 in attendance? According to common Chicago non-Sox fan perception/Cub fan propaganda, that is what the Sox draw every day. I hear it all the time from Cub fans - the Sox draw only 10k or so per game - so it must be true.

Seriously though, that low attendance in early April or late September is NOT going to change until the Sox have a championship season (at least deep into the playoffs) and rebuild their season ticket base. Until then, we're just beating a dead horse.

havelj
04-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Stop.
Stop
STOP!!

Old story on Sox attendance - move on.....please, not every year!!

batmanZoSo
04-07-2005, 12:54 AM
10,000 in attendance? According to common Chicago non-Sox fan perception/Cub fan propaganda, that is what the Sox draw every day. I hear it all the time from Cub fans - the Sox draw only 10k or so per game - so it must be true.

Seriously though, that low attendance in early April or late September is NOT going to change until the Sox have a championship season (at least deep into the playoffs) and rebuild their season ticket base. Until then, we're just beating a dead horse.

They already sold a million tickets, so they'll draw 12,300 per game with ZERO walkups.

FarWestChicago
04-07-2005, 02:47 AM
Man that crowd was pathetic, the team should just give tickets away. I haven't seen that many empty seats since I went to church last Sunday.:deadhorse:

Realist
04-07-2005, 07:37 AM
:deadhorse:
Aww... c'mon now. Is that any way to talk to Bruce Wolf? Doncha know he's an esteemed member of Chicago's media?

Hitmen77
04-07-2005, 08:55 AM
They already sold a million tickets, so they'll draw 12,300 per game with ZERO walkups.

I know, that's why my "it must be true" was in teal. If last year was an indicator, they'll draw another million.

TDog
04-07-2005, 11:14 AM
The only thing that disappoints me about the Sox attendance Wednesday is that the announced total didn't include me.

batmanZoSo
04-07-2005, 11:17 AM
I know, that's why my "it must be true" was in teal. If last year was an indicator, they'll draw another million.

I wasn't countering your post, I was backing you up.

steff
04-07-2005, 01:16 PM
There is no way there was 10k people there. That was probably the number of tickets sold. There are probably 5-7k season tickets sold for today in advance and the people probably didn't show up. I know at least 10 people who have season tickets who didn't go. My guess is the real attendance was about 5-6k. The stadium looked just like it did when I went the double header last May against the O's. They said the same thing then like 12k tickets sold and there was max 6-7k people there, and way less after the long rain delay.

Considering there are in the neighborhood of 15K season ticket holders... I'd say you are not correct with your comments.

steff
04-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Bingo. It was foolish of the White Sox to schedule three straight day games in April. It doesnt matter if it's colder at night, more people will come to the games.

The White Sox don't schedule the games..

Baby Fisk
04-07-2005, 01:21 PM
The White Sox don't schedule the games..

Do the Sox have a say in the timing of games (day vs night)?

ewokpelts
04-07-2005, 01:24 PM
i was at the orioles doubleheader...there were MORE than 12 k people there....the box office was open for both games....more people showed up for teh 2nd game....attendance was closer to 20k...it may have been 6k at 1:05(when first game started).
Gene

p.s. steff's right....there are about 10-15k St holders(not counting the 9/13 game holders, which are treated like st holders now)
Gene

steff
04-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Do the Sox have a say in the timing of games (day vs night)?

Not from what I've been told.

ewokpelts
04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Do the Sox have a say in the timing of games (day vs night)?not really, a lot of it has to do with travel times, and then you have to look at the possiblity of bad weather(esp in early april). I'm sure they make a recommendation here and there, but most opening week games are during the day.
Gene

batmanZoSo
04-07-2005, 01:57 PM
As long as 11,000 paid, it doesn't matter much if only 7k showed up. We lose some concession and parking, but they still paid for the tickets.

bafiarocks03
04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
maybe we will be lucky and all the games will have like 10,000! i love it when it's like that!

gocubs
04-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Right.Maybe you should look in the mirror before you accuse others.

Raising prices and parking probably doesn't help either, especially when the casual fan watches BBTN and hears how much we are going to suck. But I agree, around interleague time, or middle of May, I think a combination of our good record, night games, good weather will help us out