PDA

View Full Version : Lineup changes

chisox1388
04-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Iguchi needs to get out of the 2-hole, badly. He looks completely overmatched right now. Everett is NOT a #3 hitter either. Crede is just completely worthless. What the lineup should look like right now:

1. Podsednik
2. Rowand
3. Konerko
4. Dye
5. Pierzynski
6. Everett
7. Uribe
8. Crede
9. Iguchi

mike squires
04-06-2005, 04:44 PM
I would have to agree. Although we faced a good pitcher in Millwodd today a lot of our hitters look lost. I know Iguchi had a walk and a double but I wish Harris would have got the nod today just to give him some hope. HE better be in the line up tomorrow.

jabrch
04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
1 inninga away from being 2 games into the season and you can already draw those conclusions? Let's see if the plan works a bit more than 2 games before we abort it and try something different? I don't know how you can blame Iguchi when he was 1/3 with a walk today. Nobody in the lineup today hit any better than he did. Millwood was on. 4 hits through 6. Let's see what happens before we change the plan?

EDIT: 3-2...Might be able to pull this one out?

EDIT: 3-3...What's wrong with the lineup?

EDIT: 4-3...Lineup looks fine - thanks!

chisox1388
04-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Awesome win, but it still doesn't change the fact that Iguchi isn't ready for the two hole (his double was a fastball right down the middle). Although Everett came up with a big hit, it would still be better for the lineup if Ozzie would move him down.

jabrch
04-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Awesome win, but it still doesn't change the fact that Iguchi isn't ready for the two hole (his double was a fastball right down the middle). Although Everett came up with a big hit, it would still be better for the lineup if Ozzie would move him down.

How can you possibly draw that conclusion from two games - against pitchers who really were dealing. Westbrook and Milwood had the entire team looking bad. Why aren't you saying Pods can't handle it or Carl or Aaron...

If you didn't think that Iguchi couldn't handle it after ST, there is no way you can suddenly draw that conclusion from what little we have seen so far in the regular season.

Dibbs
04-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I agree, and there is no need to let it work itself out. If he hasn't adjusted to major league pitching, let him work out his problems in the nine hole. Aaron is a top hitter on this team and should be getting more ABs than Iguchi anyway.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2005, 05:21 PM
If Iguchi is struggling in May, I would be in favor of moving him. However, let's keep in mind that the quality of pitches he will see figures to improve drastically once Frank Thomas is back in the lineup. The Sox are a not a finished product right now, as they have yet to put their true starting lineup on the field.

Two games is hardly enough time to judge whether something works or not. Let's just enjoy this win and get ready for tomorrow.

jabrch
04-06-2005, 05:23 PM
I agree, and there is no need to let it work itself out. If he hasn't adjusted to major league pitching, let him work out his problems in the nine hole. Aaron is a top hitter on this team and should be getting more ABs than Iguchi anyway.

a) what problems?

b) if you can use two games to make decisions, Rowand is struggling also.

RK is dead right - you can draw no conclusions from 2 games except that we are 2 - 0.

Dibbs
04-07-2005, 09:33 AM
a) what problems?

b) if you can use two games to make decisions, Rowand is struggling also.

RK is dead right - you can draw no conclusions from 2 games except that we are 2 - 0.

The problem is Iguchi looks as good as I would up there, which is horrible. I wouldn't draw a conclusion on Rowand because he was one of our MVPs last year. Pretty silly comparing Rowand and Iguchi, who has two MLB games under his belt. BTW, I am not drawing a conclusion on Iguchi. I just feel Rowand should be getting more ABs than him.

And you're right, can't complain with 2-0! :bandance:

veeter
04-07-2005, 09:41 AM
After two games you guys are way off. Relax, let some time pass to get a good idea. Iguchi plays great D and has a quick bat. He's also very fast.

jabrch
04-07-2005, 10:56 AM
The problem is Iguchi looks as good as I would up there, which is horrible. I wouldn't draw a conclusion on Rowand because he was one of our MVPs last year. Pretty silly comparing Rowand and Iguchi, who has two MLB games under his belt. BTW, I am not drawing a conclusion on Iguchi. I just feel Rowand should be getting more ABs than him.

And you're right, can't complain with 2-0! :bandance:

yeah, using Rowand was a bit of an exaggeration. But I just don't see how we can say Iguchi looks THAT bad when he has only had 6 ABs and has an extra base hit and a stolen base. I'm willing to give him a few weeks before I change my mind on him. Nothing in his past leads me to believe he can't do it. His successes in Japan really make him look like a #2 hitter - lets see if that translates to MLB.

batmanZoSo
04-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Iguchi needs to get out of the 2-hole, badly. He looks completely overmatched right now. Everett is NOT a #3 hitter either. Crede is just completely worthless. What the lineup should look like right now:

1. Podsednik
2. Rowand
3. Konerko
4. Dye
5. Pierzynski
6. Everett
7. Uribe
8. Crede
9. Iguchi

While I'm not gonna judge iguchi on two games, and he did look good at times despite only one hit...he did show a really good eye in one particular at-bat against Millwood...I was in favor of batting Rowand second to start the season a while ago. Although I wouldn't have Pierzynski batting higher than 6th. Switch him and Everett and that's the lineup I'd have until Iguchi gets comfortable. I don't care if Rowand's got more power, you're first three have to be getting on base and doing damage for you to win. And Uribe did far too well to be batting 9th. Seventh is more like it for him.

CHISOXFAN13
04-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I would have to agree. Although we faced a good pitcher in Millwodd today a lot of our hitters look lost. I know Iguchi had a walk and a double but I wish Harris would have got the nod today just to give him some hope. HE better be in the line up tomorrow.

You want Harris to start against a left-handed pitcher?

No thanks.

jabrch
04-07-2005, 04:39 PM
BUMP...

2 games is not enough to make a conclusion about the guy. Nor is three for that matter. I am thrilled to have a guy with his skills in the two hole.

Dibbs
04-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Iguchi sure looked good today. I thought Rowand should be in the 2nd spot before the season began, not because Gooch looked horrible in the first two games.

PAPChiSox729
04-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Iguchi sure looked good today. I thought Rowand should be in the 2nd spot before the season began, not because Gooch looked horrible in the first two games.

Iguchi has looked good. I also thought Ozzie should bat him 9th and Rowand 2nd but Iguchi has stepped right up and adjusted quickly. And I am certainly pleased.
:D:

jabrch
04-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Overmatched? Nah...he's settling in quite nicely. I'm glad Ozzie didn't panick.

Jurr
04-14-2005, 09:00 AM
What Iguchi does great is his ability to get contact on a slow curve. A lot of Sox hitters swing way out in front of a slow roller to the plate. He can sit back and get contact on those pitches. Yes, he may foul a number of 'em off, but all that's doing is making the pitcher work a lot harder. He is getting on base and is making plays WHILE ADJUSTING TO MLB PITCHING. He's having as good a start as we could ask for.

Crede, Rowand, and Uribe are scuffling a little at the plate to open the year, but they are still making plays in the field and have been coming up with enough offense to get the job done. Last night was a perfect example:

Crede gets the big double to score the 4th run and he also gets the bunt down to move the runner. Rowand gets the two out single to score the tying run, and Uribe gets enough of the ball in the 10th to get the go ahead RBI. They're not putting up huge numbers, but they're putting up numbers at the right time.

jordan23ventura
04-15-2005, 04:15 AM
What Iguchi does great is his ability to get contact on a slow curve. A lot of Sox hitters swing way out in front of a slow roller to the plate. He can sit back and get contact on those pitches. Yes, he may foul a number of 'em off, but all that's doing is making the pitcher work a lot harder. He is getting on base and is making plays WHILE ADJUSTING TO MLB PITCHING. He's having as good a start as we could ask for.

Iguchi has done nothing but impress me thusfar. I expect that by the Allstar break he will have found his power stroke as well and will have lots of people around baseball talking. Remember, he too is a ROY candidate.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Iguch is hitting .286 and playing solid defense while adjusting to a new league, home field and CULTURE. Let's leave him alone for now.

mealfred13
04-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Overmatched? Nah...he's settling in quite nicely. I'm glad Ozzie didn't panick.

Unlike 95% of the thread starters around here. Maybe we should let this be a lesson to not start panick threads until there's good reason to panick, eh? :rolleyes: