PDA

View Full Version : Maggs Taken out of Game???

Mickster
04-06-2005, 01:41 PM
I was looking at the box score for today's Tigers - KC game and noticed that Maggs was taken out in the 4th inning and replaced with Bobby Higginson.

Anyone have any idea why??

BTW, he was 0-4 w/ 5 LOB yesterday and 0-2 w/ 3 LOB today.

santo=dorf
04-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Dizziness

maurice
04-06-2005, 01:49 PM
According to sportsline's game center:
Magglio Ordonez of the Detroit Tigers left the game in the Top of the fifth inning due to a head injury.

chaz171
04-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Dizzyness?

that could be caused by the strain of trying to run with that full leg cast....

Maggs is still broke.

Unregistered
04-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Head injury, eh? So... many... punchlines...

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2005, 01:53 PM
First ever recorded instance of "dizziness" causing the patient to walk with a limp.

:wink:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-06-2005, 02:17 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2656

FightingBillini
04-06-2005, 02:45 PM
:o:

First ever recorded instance of "dizziness" causing the patient to walk with a limp.

:wink:

Im not sure if that should be in teal or not.
I said it before, and some Boras lovers on this board said I was full of it. I said that Borass and Ordonez would claim that all games missed were due to unrelated injuries, and even go as far as refusing to let team doctors examine him. Since the contract says it can only be voided if Magglio misses a certain number of games due specifically to the previous knee injury, Borass will claim the injuries were unrelated or caused by other things.

Does anyone here believe Maggs was actually dizzy?

Flight #24
04-06-2005, 02:59 PM

Absolutely. Running around in circles because of a bad limp will make anyone dizzy!!!

DaleJRFan
04-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Poor guy, I almost feel sorry for him...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050406&content_id=1001635&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

oeo
04-06-2005, 04:32 PM
That's not cool, if it was his knee...I'd be all over Tiger fans, saying we told you so, but I hope he gets healthy as much as I do not like him much anymore.

JoseCanseco6969
04-06-2005, 05:42 PM
well as long as he doesnt miss 25 starts, he can leave each game with mysterious injuries the entire season and still be guaranteed the contract!

samram
04-06-2005, 06:15 PM
:o:

Im not sure if that should be in teal or not.
I said it before, and some Boras lovers on this board said I was full of it. I said that Borass and Ordonez would claim that all games missed were due to unrelated injuries, and even go as far as refusing to let team doctors examine him. Since the contract says it can only be voided if Magglio misses a certain number of games due specifically to the previous knee injury, Borass will claim the injuries were unrelated or caused by other things.

Yeah, he was probably dizzy, and it may or may not have anything to do with the knee injury that will affect him at some point this season.

However, there's no way in hell the Tigers are going to pay him all that money if he and his agent refuse to let him be examined. I would imagine there's language in Maggs' contract regarding good faith performance of the contract or how injuries are evaluated, and their refusal could be grounds for breach.

MRKARNO
04-06-2005, 06:25 PM
well as long as he doesnt miss 25 starts, he can leave each game with mysterious injuries the entire season and still be guaranteed the contract!

It doesnt matter how many starts he misses. The clause can only be invoked if he spend 25 days or more on the DL with a problem relating to the knee that caused him to miss 2/3 of last year. Otherwise, he's stuck with them for up to 6 more years.

voodoochile
04-06-2005, 06:29 PM
:maggs
"Well, I batted for the second time and I headed for RF and my knee is just killing me. I mean if I didn't have my tear ducts removed in Austria then I would have had tears rolling down my face. The pain gets so intense that I start to feel lightheaded and then the dizzyness swept over me like a tidal wave and I knew I couldn't play if I was dizzy..."

ondafarm
04-06-2005, 06:40 PM

IIRC it's 25 games on the DL that permits the Tigers to cancel his contract for next year and beyond.

FightingBillini
04-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Yeah, he was probably dizzy, and it may or may not have anything to do with the knee injury that will affect him at some point this season.

However, there's no way in hell the Tigers are going to pay him all that money if he and his agent refuse to let him be examined. I would imagine there's language in Maggs' contract regarding good faith performance of the contract or how injuries are evaluated, and their refusal could be grounds for breach.
Well, I don't know what specific words were in the contract. However, if there was no such words, what could the Tigers do? What the White Sox did? KW said they couldn't force him to let their doctors look at him. Also, he might go on the DL with "dizziness" or "headaches", but how can it be determined that is the truth? You can't tell someone has a headache by looking at them or examining them.

samram
04-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Well, I don't know what specific words were in the contract. However, if there was no such words, what could the Tigers do? What the White Sox did? KW said they couldn't force him to let their doctors look at him. Also, he might go on the DL with "dizziness" or "headaches", but how can it be determined that is the truth? You can't tell someone has a headache by looking at them or examining them.

True enough, but I don't think the Tigers are just going to take his word for it. If their lawyers are worth a damn (and Mike Ilitch will have good lawyers), there's built-in protection in case of an injury. If not, it's a far worse contract than I originally thought, and I never considered it, nor do I consider it, a good contract, even if he's healthy.

JoseCanseco6969
04-06-2005, 10:51 PM
It doesnt matter how many starts he misses. The clause can only be invoked if he spend 25 days or more on the DL with a problem relating to the knee that caused him to miss 2/3 of last year. Otherwise, he's stuck with them for up to 6 more years.

my bad, thanks for the correction!

Iwritecode
04-06-2005, 11:09 PM
He probably got dizzy thinking about all the money he's screwing the Tigers out of...

SOX ADDICT '73
04-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Otherwise, he's stuck with them for up to 6 more years.
Don't you mean they're stuck with him?:wink:

gosox41
04-07-2005, 08:45 AM
According to sportsline's game center:

Does head injury mean the same thing as knee injury?

Bob

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-07-2005, 01:13 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050406&content_id=1001635&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I am watching the game via MLB Gameday (at work, no radio reception), and saw this headline come up on the bottom....

Did recurring bone injuries in his knee also go through the family??