PDA

View Full Version : What is with the necklaces?

soltrain21
04-06-2005, 01:06 PM
I have noticed a lot of White Sox players are wearing black necklaces. Is there any meaning to this, or did a bunch of them go out and buy them for "team solidarity?"

I think I have seen a few other players on other teams wearing them, too. Anyone have any info on it?

Stroker Ace
04-06-2005, 05:42 PM
I don't know. I know that the black bracelets are for White Sox Childrens Charities.

kevingrt
04-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Anyone know where we can find those bracelets on sale?

soltrain21
04-06-2005, 06:09 PM
They sell them on the Sox website.

house215
04-06-2005, 09:26 PM
I thought they could be microphones...

jenmcm76
04-07-2005, 09:11 AM
They sell them on the Sox website.

The only problem with that is that you have to buy them in quantities of at least 5. Supposedly you can also get them at Sox games, where they sell the Sox Split raffle tickets. If I'd known that when I was there Monday, I would've gotten a couple.

mealfred13
04-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I saw AJ wearing one of those necklaces during one of his interviews on CSN last night. Looks like black nylon, with a bead or two (possibly plastic sizing fasteners of some kind) and has white writing on it which I couldn't see very clearly. It may have "Chicago White Sox" or possibly "Sox Pride" on it.

I haven't seen it specifically on any other players, but it might be a sort of team togetherness thing as someone mentioned if the other guys are also wearing it too.

It's kind of funny when you think about it though. You'd think wearing the same uniform as everyone else would be enough, but apparently there are too many variations in the way the guys wear their uniforms. Personally, I'd like to see everyone wear the high black socks like Scotty or Marte do. It looks cooler when all the players have some sort of consistent look.

FightingBillini
04-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Personally, I'd like to see everyone wear the high black socks like Scotty or Marte do. It looks cooler when all the players have some sort of consistent look.

Trust me, big guys dont look good in high socks. Im sure Frank would object to it.

mealfred13
04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Trust me, big guys dont look good in high socks. Im sure Frank would object to it.

Haha. I've seen some big guys wearing high socks. A little cankle never hurt anyone. If anything, it'll make them look scarier to the opposing pitchers.:rolleyes:

Brian26
04-07-2005, 03:44 PM
I have noticed a lot of White Sox players are wearing black necklaces. Is there any meaning to this, or did a bunch of them go out and buy them for "team solidarity?"

I think I have seen a few other players on other teams wearing them, too. Anyone have any info on it?

I noticed the same thing. Any chance these things have magnets on them? Just a theory...

SoxEd
04-07-2005, 05:14 PM
I noticed the same thing. Any chance these things have magnets on them? Just a theory...

Wha?

Magnets?

Aren't they supposed to combat arthritis?

I mean, I know we got some veteran pitchers this off-season, but the whole team has suddenly developed rheumatoid problems???

How bad does the wind blow in off of Lake Michigan?

On the subject of uniform socks, I'd like to see some evidence of our players wearing socks that are white rather than any other colour (even black).

Call me a silly, sentimental old fool if you will...

Magglios_Girl
04-07-2005, 07:14 PM

I don't think those are magnets...but doesn't it remind you of those glow in the dark hoops they sell on fireworks night? :D:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050404/capt.ilnh10304042146.indians_white_sox_ilnh103.jpg http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050404/capt.ilnh10604042239.indians_white_sox_ilnh106.jpg

humansushi
04-08-2005, 10:32 AM
They are exactly that, magnetized necklaces. They popped here in Japan the last couple of years with sports players of all sorts wearing them. They are common everywhere now and are purchased at "Walgreen" type stores. They sell the necklaces and bracelets. I noticed a few athletes wearing them in the States and was surprised it had caught on, thought it was just some strange fad here in Japan.

mealfred13
04-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Maybe it's a little something Iguchi brought with him from Japan, and all the players decided to jump in on the necklace thing.

NonetheLoaiza
04-08-2005, 06:27 PM
I saw some other players in the Majors wearing them too the other day. I was wondering what the heck they are for too...

patbooyah
04-08-2005, 06:27 PM
i want one, mommy!

Brian26
04-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Wha?

Magnets?

Aren't they supposed to combat arthritis?

I mean, I know we got some veteran pitchers this off-season, but the whole team has suddenly developed rheumatoid problems???

How bad does the wind blow in off of Lake Michigan?

Anxiously awaiting your response. Yes, Magnets.

Brian26
04-08-2005, 08:07 PM
They are exactly that, magnetized necklaces. They popped here in Japan the last couple of years with sports players of all sorts wearing them. They are common everywhere now and are purchased at "Walgreen" type stores. They sell the necklaces and bracelets. I noticed a few athletes wearing them in the States and was surprised it had caught on, thought it was just some strange fad here in Japan.

THANK YOU.

RowanDye
04-25-2005, 11:27 PM
It's gotta be the necklaces!! (or maybe the pitching, the bench, and Joe Crede) :D:

DiGiSyKo
04-25-2005, 11:31 PM
It's gotta be the necklaces!! (or maybe the pitching, the bench, and Joe Crede) :D:

:tealpolice:

mealfred13
04-26-2005, 07:28 AM
I noticed Zito was wearing one of those necklaces last night, too. Must be a new accessory for the player's uniforms.

Cubbiesuck13
04-26-2005, 08:04 AM
I thought they were wearing them as a symbol of mourning for the pope.

harwar
04-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Its just one of those fads that blow through ever now and then,like when everyone had short blond hair.
I'm glad the sculptured beards didn't catch on.