PDA

View Full Version : Bo Jackson Press conf

irish rover
04-06-2005, 12:00 PM
on am 1000 they are saying he will have a press conf at the cell to address accusations about roids

11:20 today

mikehuff
04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I never even thought about Bo. I guess it's possible. I have no idea though.

Who has been accusing him? I never heard his name come up

mantis1212
04-06-2005, 12:11 PM
This is kind of strange, I never heard his name come up either. I guess coming back from hip surgery quickly could raise suspicions... that was so long ago though

dickallen15
04-06-2005, 12:13 PM
When he injured his hip there was talk of possible steriod use. I don't know how, but somehow the injury was consistent with steriod use.

Mickster
04-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Unless he was juicing as early as high school, I would doubt he was a user. Pictures and video from high school and early college years showed that he an incredibly large and muscular young man. Again, I am not stating that he didn't use, just that there was no "skinny to huge" transformation that you would see such with Shammy and Barroids.

mikehuff
04-06-2005, 12:47 PM
From Bruce Levine on ESPN1000... (not the press conference yet)

- Accused in internet article
- Hip injury due to steroid use
- Bo files complaint against the writer and editor
- Woman accuser worked with San Francisco Giants
- Now I guess the woman denies ever using Bo's name
- Bo found the article on the internet himself

irish rover
04-06-2005, 12:51 PM
here is the article

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%257E28557%257E2781301,00.html

Lip Man 1
04-06-2005, 01:03 PM
I read a story on Keith Olbermann's blog site a few weeks ago (MSNBC) that appeared to be saying the same thing.

As I recall Keith was talking about the steroid hearings and stated he was reminded of a comment a doctor told him about (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'the best athlete of the past 50 years,' and how his career was ruined because of an injury that resulted in 'blood flow loss' to the area.

Keith said that the doctor told him that injury could only be genetic or the result of injecting steroids into the same area a number of times.

Immediately I thought Bo Jackson.

Apparently the San Francisco writer isn't the only one who has questions.

Oh I found the Olbermann comments, dated March 11, 2005:

"I spent more than 20 years as a sports reporter, most of them on the national level. I heard my first accusation of steroid use (ironically enough, against Jose Canseco), from another active player, in the winter of 1987. I had an eminent sports orthopedic surgeon tell me in 1991 that the sudden demise of the career of a seemingly invincible ballplayer due to a rare blood vessel problem could only have been caused by a long-standing hereditary issue that should have affected every male in his family for generations, or by the repeated injections of performance-enhancing drugs into a specific part of the body.

After that, a year didn't go by without similar tips and leads. None could be proved; each brought with it the threat of libel action. The sports media did its best, but without the most unshakable and unattainable of verifications— actual medical tests confirming steroid use— nothing could be reported."

Lip

Infallible
04-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Bo knows!

thepaulbowski
04-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Wasn't he tested before the injury per the NFL CBA?

irish rover
04-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Bo and his people have a video of the woman, used as a source in the article, saying she never said Bo used steriods

Hence the complaint

SpringfldFan
04-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Well for what it's worth, I don't recall Bo's head ever growing like some other's who have been accused. For that matter, his head has always seemed to me kinda small in proportion to the rest of his body. I never saw acne suddenly appear on his face either...

SFF

MisterB
04-06-2005, 01:36 PM
This whole thing was started by Keith Olbermann in his blog (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7012320/#050311a) on msnbc's web site. In talking about the baseball-steroid issue came this tidbit:

I had an eminent sports orthopedic surgeon tell me in 1991 that the sudden demise of the career of a seemingly invincible ballplayer due to a rare blood vessel problem could only have been caused by a long-standing hereditary issue that should have affected every male in his family for generations, or by the repeated injections of performance-enhancing drugs into a specific part of the body.

From that came speculation on who the ballplayer in question was, and many assumed it to be Bo Jackson and the Avascular Necrosis that forced his hip replacement. Now, there is one thing that may have gotten misconstrued in all of this: Olbermann may have editorially substituted "injections of performance-enhancing drugs" for "injections of steroids". This is significant since in the medical data on AVN (http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/avascular_necrosis/)states:

Loss of blood supply to the bone can be caused by an injury (trauma-related avascular necrosis or joint dislocation) or by certain risk factors (nontraumatic avascular necrosis), such as some medications (steroids), blood coagulation disorders, or excessive alcohol use.

But, further clarifies:

Corticosteroids such as prednisone are commonly used to treat diseases in which there is inflammation, such as systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, and vasculitis. Studies suggest that long-term, systemic (oral or intravenous) corticosteroid use is associated with 35 percent of all cases of nontraumatic avascular necrosis. However, there is no known risk of avascular necrosis associated with the limited use of steroids.

Corticosteroids are anti-inflammitories (and we know many athletes get them for just such a purpose), not to be confused with anabolic steroids which can help build muscle. There has been cases of long-term steroid users who inject in the same place on their body to develop circulation problems with the soft tissues around the injection site. The femoral head is not (AFAIK) considered 'soft tissue'. Also note that corticosteroids tend to be involved in non-traumatic cases of AVN. Frankly I think this is just someone making an underinformed statement and even less knowledgable people blowing it up to be much bigger than it really is.

Uncle_Patrick
04-06-2005, 01:40 PM
- Bo found the article on the internet himself

I get a kick out of the idea of current and former celebrities looking up their own names on the internet.

Tekijawa
04-06-2005, 01:48 PM
I think he's still using!!! Look at him now compaired to one of his Rookie cards! He's about 6 times as big! :D:

PatK
04-06-2005, 01:55 PM
If he was injecting steroids, I doubt he was injecting them in his hip.

I know a bunch of guys that were on them, and when I was younger, I almost did them. None of them EVER mentioned injecting in the hip.

jabrch
04-06-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm glad Bo is taking this person to court. Even if it ends up costing him money and getting no tangible benefits from it - he is stepping up and saying "I DID NOT DO STEROIDS - AND YOU CAN NOT JUST SAY THAT UNLESS IT IS TRUE." It is kinda the opposite of what Palmeiro and McGwire are saying by NOT suing Canseco and others.

I really doubt Bo Jackson was a steroid user. He never fit the profile at all. Unless you are talking about legally perscribed properly used steroids not to enhance performance but to rehab from injuries, I just don't buy it.

Tell me Albert Belle was a user - I wouldn't be surprised. Tell me Bo did....no - I don't buy it.

mike squires
04-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Bo was just in the booth with the Hawk and DJ. I always love watching that home run against Seattle and the first game back from his hip surgery. It would be a shame if in fact he did it but if he did...it's over and done. Let's focus on the future...I've been listening to Mark Mcgwire a big too much...

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 02:56 PM
***??? The hip injury was playing football. It's well documented. Did I dream that?

jabrch
04-06-2005, 03:03 PM
***??? The hip injury was playing football. It's well documented. Did I dream that?

The hip injury was a degenerative condition that was aggrevated playing football. You are correct.

Lip Man 1
04-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Happened in Oakland in a game against the Bengals. Jackson was running free when he was grabbed around the waist from behind and his hips were jerked while he was still striding.

The impact fractured the hip and the blood loss problem set in soon afterwards because the vessels were also ripped up and the area wasn't getting what it needed to heal.

Lip

Rocklive99
04-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Damn, I thought he really was buying the team

mikehuff
04-07-2005, 12:23 PM
here is the article

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%257E28557%257E2781301,00.html

The link doesn't work anymore. You think they pulled the article? I couldn't find it on their website either.

Wsoxmike59
04-09-2005, 07:49 AM
This whole thing was started by Keith Olbermann in his blog (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7012320/#050311a) on msnbc's web site. In talking about the baseball-steroid issue came this tidbit:

From that came speculation on who the ballplayer in question was, and many assumed it to be Bo Jackson and the Avascular Necrosis that forced his hip replacement. Now, there is one thing that may have gotten misconstrued in all of this: Olbermann may have editorially substituted "injections of performance-enhancing drugs" for "injections of steroids". This is significant since in the medical data on AVN (http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/avascular_necrosis/)states:

Quote:
Loss of blood supply to the bone can be caused by an injury (trauma-related avascular necrosis or joint dislocation) or by certain risk factors (nontraumatic avascular necrosis), such as some medications (steroids), blood coagulation disorders, or excessive alcohol use.

That's EXACTLY how Bo injured his hip. He was INJURED ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD! He twisted his hip "funny" while being tackled, basically wrenching the socket on his hip thus causing the "trauma" that restricted the blood flow to his hip. This wasn't steroid related.

Keith Olberman is such a boob. Why doesn't that East coast snob go after Barroid Bonds and Sham-ME Sosa??? Two of the more obvious abusers "alledgedly in the game during the pretesting days!!