PDA

View Full Version : Mike & Mike slam Big Frank

SOX ADDICT '73
04-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I usually love listening to Mike and Mike in the Morning, but today's discussion has taken some of the polish off of the apple.

They were listing current players in every major sport who are locks for the HOF. One of the first names that came up was Frank Thomas. Greeny praised his "first five or six years," but said that Frank "just disappeared" after that, and that he "never did anything in the postseason." He continued, "Can he put together 2 or 3 monster years and still qualify? Maybe, but I doubt it. Frank Thomas will not get into the Hall of Fame," and Golic just grunted in agreement.

They went on to say guys like KC offensive lineman Willie Roaf were "absolute locks" for the NFL Hall of Fame. Who the hell is Willie Roaf, and how is he more eligible for the HOF than a man who is unquestionably the greatest player to wear his team's uniform? Can anyone think of a team (other than the recent expansion clubs) whose greatest player in their history is not in the HOF? And how many players have been enshrined without ever making it to the postseason, and with career numbers that can't even touch Frank's?

I'll still listen to M & M, but today really pissed me off.:angry:

wdelaney72
04-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Mike and Mike are almost as big of idiots as Boers and Bernstein. I find it amazing that their show is syndicated.

TommyJohn
04-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Greenberg is a snobby geek who is more for the "other team."

Golic is a big, fat, grunting slob.

mike squires
04-06-2005, 09:59 AM
I know I've made posts in the past that question Frank and steroids and this one will sound like I don't like him either which just isn't the case. I went shopping the other day and purchased a few packs of cards and got big Frank. I looked at his numbers and the first thing I said to myself was he won't make the hall. Pitchers finally started pitching him inside and ump started calling that inside pitch and it disrupted Frank. Playing for the Sox, his recent injuries and him being a DH won't help his cause. I hope he makes it.

ChiSoxBobette
04-06-2005, 10:04 AM
I usually love listening to Mike and Mike in the Morning, but today's discussion has taken some of the polish off of the apple.

They were listing current players in every major sport who are locks for the HOF. One of the first names that came up was Frank Thomas. Greeny praised his "first five or six years," but said that Frank "just disappeared" after that, and that he "never did anything in the postseason." He continued, "Can he put together 2 or 3 monster years and still qualify? Maybe, but I doubt it. Frank Thomas will not get into the Hall of Fame," and Golic just grunted in agreement.

They went on to say guys like KC offensive lineman Willie Roaf were "absolute locks" for the NFL Hall of Fame. Who the hell is Willie Roaf, and how is he more eligible for the HOF than a man who is unquestionably the greatest player to wear his team's uniform? Can anyone think of a team (other than the recent expansion clubs) whose greatest player in their history is not in the HOF? And how many players have been enshrined without ever making it to the postseason, and with career numbers that can't even touch Frank's?

What would you expect from espn morons, today they had one of the idiots from baseball tonight on and thay asked about which AL pitcher had the best opening day , of course who do you think they said - Randy Johnson, yeah he had a good opener but better that Mark Buehrle's.Our team gets NO Respect from espn.

SoxFan78
04-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Who cares what M & M thinks, they are broadcasting live from the Urinal on Friday. Im surprised they even know who the White Sox are.

Jerko
04-06-2005, 10:10 AM
I also heard Green-nerd say Griffey is a lock who IMO is in the same boat as Frank (albeit with a few more homers). Great first 10 years or so, injured, and then average. Why is Griffey (who I like) a lock and Frank isn't? What has Griffey done in the last 4 years?

Tekijawa
04-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I did a Search for Frank on Ebay after reading this... I found THIS, Man if I wasn't in the process of looking to buy a house this would be in my Condo already!

Gotlieb Big Hurt Power Project Pinball Machine!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13725&item=6168028784&rd=1

SOX ADDICT '73
04-06-2005, 10:20 AM
I looked at his numbers and the first thing I said to myself was he won't make the hall.
Huh? Take a look:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/thomafr04.shtml

And the first thing you said to yourself was, "He won't make the hall?"

Other than three injury shortened years (out of fifteen), Frank has always been around 30-40 HR and 100 RBI, and his career BA is still over .300. Last season, he was on pace for another 40/100, and his BA was hovering around .300 again until he tried playing on the injured ankle for the last few weeks.

Playing for the Sox...won't help his cause.
This comment I just don't comprehend.:kukoo:

soxtalker
Let me look at the issue from a different perspective. I'd like to see Frank in the HOF. Do M&M's opinions reflect in any way the opinions of the people who vote for the HOF? (I doubt that M&M influence this group; I'm asking whether we can learn anything about the way this group thinks.)

Ol' No. 2
Greene is a dope and Golic doesn't know anything about anything other than football. I can't stand these guys. I used to prefer listening to Murphy and Huebner when they were on in the morning, but now that North is in that spot I just listen to music.

faneidde
04-06-2005, 10:40 AM
I also heard Green-nerd say Griffey is a lock who IMO is in the same boat as Frank (albeit with a few more homers). Great first 10 years or so, injured, and then average. Why is Griffey (who I like) a lock and Frank isn't? What has Griffey done in the last 4 years?
First, I think Frank is a lock for the Hall of Fame, but those who tout Griffey over Frank will point out Griffey was, at one time, the best center fielder in baseball while Frank as an average, at best, first baseman or DH.

Hangar18
04-06-2005, 10:51 AM

I dont know how those 2 stay on the air. For every 10mins of their show, theres 20mins of commercials. They also have the uncanny ability to take
FOREVER to make a point ("Todays show, we want to know who is most affected by steroids, the fans or the management. We want you to tell us, in your own words, who you, the Fan, a paying customer of major league baseball, who you think is most affected by Steroids. You the fan, should tell us, in other words, Hey we think such-and-such is most affected by Steroids. We want you to tell us, as a Fan, who you think is the most Affected by this whole scandal") They are annoying and never
really tell us what is going on. They simply report things after theyve happened, nothing is ever ground-breaking, and they ESPECIALLY regurgitate what theyre reading in the papers, adding NOTHING new or any INSIGHT. THey are HORRIBLE when it comes to baseball.
For NFL talk, they much better because the Fat One, Golic was an NFL player and from JULY to FEBRUARY, thats all he does is talk football in a
condescending, I-was-in-the-nfl-you-werent kind of way.
These guys are brutally bad.
As for the Thomas quote, I dont have a problem with it, Greenberg
CORRECTLY said there was a time Big Frank was on Fire and was
Hall-of-Fame bound (to which of course, Golic couldve said Strike Zone
changed, or that this became a Media Favored CubTown so he got
no attention, but instead he could add NOTHING, so he just Grunted and belched his breakfast up) but then suddenly did Nothing for a while.

Idiots.

Sad
04-06-2005, 10:57 AM
but instead he could add NOTHING, so he just Grunted and belched his breakfast up)

HORK!
:roflmao: :rolling:

The Racehorse
04-06-2005, 10:59 AM
I've been giving M & M less and less airtime. When I do tune in, I end up laughing my ass off at them trying to generate heat [for themselves] by making bold statements which they then try to back up with [un]reasoned arguments [which is what talk radio is all about]...

Mike & Mike on the Mic ... just how many Mikes does it take to screw in a light bulb?

JKryl
04-06-2005, 11:09 AM
I know I've made posts in the past that question Frank and steroids and this one will sound like I don't like him either which just isn't the case. I went shopping the other day and purchased a few packs of cards and got big Frank. I looked at his numbers and the first thing I said to myself was he won't make the hall. Pitchers finally started pitching him inside and ump started calling that inside pitch and it disrupted Frank. Playing for the Sox, his recent injuries and him being a DH won't help his cause. I hope he makes it.

I have to agree with you other than I never thought of Frank as using steroids. If he had, I don't think he would have been injured near as much as he was. As for the rest, I wish him the best, but I don't think he'll make it only playing DH for the majority of his career, unless he extends it by a number of years, and starts picking his BA up to his earlier levels.

mike squires
04-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Huh? Take a look:

Other than three injury shortened years (out of fifteen), Frank has always been around 30-40 HR and 100 RBI, and his career BA is still over .300. Last season, he was on pace for another 40/100, and his BA was hovering around .300 again until he tried playing on the injured ankle for the last few weeks.

OK, his stats are damn good but unfortunatly the comittee will look at how often Frank has been hurt...as for playing for the Sox, come on...it's discussed on here everyday the lack of attention players and the club in general recieve, which isn't much...

Paulwny
04-06-2005, 11:36 AM
It continues to amaze me that the Chi media, press, etal are continually downgrading Frank and his numbers. Meanwhile, when the hof balloting is about to commence the NYC press continues its push for Mattingly, very strange.

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 11:43 AM
It continues to amaze me that the Chi media, press, etal are continually downgrading Frank and his numbers. Meanwhile, when the hof balloting is about to commence the NYC press continues its push for Mattingly, very strange.Not strange at all. If Thomas played for the Cubs they'd rename the city after him.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2005, 11:47 AM
It continues to amaze me that the Chi media, press, etal are continually downgrading Frank and his numbers. Meanwhile, when the hof balloting is about to commence the NYC press continues its push for Mattingly, very strange.

It will be several years before Mattingly gets into the HOF, and that's assuming that it happens at all. I'm orignially from Evansville, and so I was a Mattingly fan when I was a child, but even I will tell you that his numbers are average, at best, for a first baseman. Much of the hype and publicity surrounding his name is the result of his having played for the New York Yankees. If he had played for the Kansas City Royals, nobody would have given him a second thought. Had Frank Thomas played for the Yankees instead of the Sox, his reputation would have gone through the roof.

Mattingly was a great player, but to even compare his numbers to Frank Thomas' is ridiculous. The NY media needs to get a clue.

Paulwny
04-06-2005, 11:55 AM
It will be several years before Mattingly gets into the HOF, and that's assuming that it happens at all. I'm orignially from Evansville, and so I was a Mattingly fan when I was a child, but even I will tell you that his numbers are average, at best, for a first baseman. Much of the hype and publicity surrounding his name is the result of his having played for the New York Yankees. If he had played for the Kansas City Royals, nobody would have given him a second thought. Had Frank Thomas played for the Yankees instead of the Sox, his reputation would have gone through the roof.

Mattingly was a great player, but to even compare his numbers to Frank Thomas' is ridiculous. The NY media needs to get a clue.

I totally agree, Mattingly is not hof material, but there's always that push for him meanwhile Frank gets no love.

PorkChopExpress
04-06-2005, 12:09 PM
They're discussing this on ESPN1000 right now. Frank's getting a little more respect from these guys.

VenturaFan23
04-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Silvy and Carmen are ripping Mike and Mike's comments about Frank right now. They're listing all his stats and questioning why he wouldn't get a HOF nod. Good for them. Show the "mothership" how we feel.

Jaffar
04-06-2005, 12:31 PM
WOO HOO!! I made ESPN 1000! I sent them the formulas from Baseball reference that clearly show Frank should be in the HOF.

Jaffar
04-06-2005, 12:32 PM
BTW, I am a simple person.

balke
04-06-2005, 12:38 PM
He has 2 9/10 MVP trophies, and is the greatest hitter I've ever seen not to be associated w/ steroids.

Frank gets a very unfair strikezone due to his size, an inside pitch could graze his knees and still be called a strike. Last season he hit everything that went inside on him, after spending a couple seasons adjusting his swing/stance.

I don't consider it going out on a limb to say he gets into the Hall. I think there will be lots of discussion about it, because he was a DH for so long, but in the end he gets in first ballot.

bigdommer
04-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Huh? Take a look:

Everytime I look down those stats, it amazes me that the man didn't win 5 MVPs.

1996 - 40/134/.349
1997 - 35/125/.347
2000 - 43/143/.328

He would have an MVP if the Sox could have held on and won in 2003. He also would have a Rookie of the Year if he qualified.

ChiSox14305635
04-06-2005, 01:05 PM
It took me awhile, but I've finally started to ignore ESPN for all things sports. If the "East Coast bias" isn't enough, they've gotten rid of enough quality talent and replaced it with clueless morons to do the trick. They've succumbed to the MTV/Reality TV "it's all about the flavor of the day and the hot fad" philosophy. I truly believe despite his surly attitude with the media, the HOF writers still wouldn't ignore the dominating player Frank was throughout the '90s.

As I type this, ESPN's daygame showing right now is none other than: Yankees/Red Sox. Joy.

FarWestChicago
04-06-2005, 01:11 PM
It took me awhile, but I've finally started to ignore ESPN for all things sports.Welcome to the club. :cool:

I've been ignoring ESPN the Tabloid since 2001 and am much happier for it. It never ceases to amaze me to see all the people here enraged at ESPN (or Moronotti for that matter). If you put your hand on a hot stove and burn the hell out of it, do you expect a different outcome the next time you put your hand on that hot stove? :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
04-06-2005, 01:21 PM
In my opinion Frank's Hall Of Fame chances will be helped or hurt depending on if he can come back from this injury, hit 500 home runs and also what he does or does not do to make himself visible regarding the steriods committee that he is co-chairman of.

Seriously Frank has a chance to get back into the public eye and to score points perhaps with those who will eventually be voting for him in 'x' number of seasons.

I think his is a HOF simply because of 2 MVP's, perhaps 500 home runs and becomming the only man in baseball history to have seven straight seasons with over .300 BA, 20 HR's, 100 BB's, 100 Runs and 100 RBI's.

However perhaps we'll get a better idea of what his chances will be when Edgar Martinez's name come up. He has outstanding numbers, but he was a DH for 99% of his career (even more then Frank). How the voters react to him could be a clue as to how they will react to Frank since he has spent the majority of his career as a DH.

Lip

tacosalbarojas
04-06-2005, 01:25 PM
In my opinion Frank's Hall Of Fame chances will be helped or hurt depending on if he can come back from this injury, hit 500 home runs and also what he does or does not do to make himself visible regarding the steriods committee that he is co-chairman of.

Seriously Frank has a chance to get back into the public eye and to score points perhaps with those who will eventually be voting for him in 'x' number of seasons.

I think his is a HOF simply because of 2 MVP's, perhaps 500 home runs and becomming the only man in baseball history to have seven straight seasons with over .300 BA, 20 HR's, 100 BB's, 100 Runs and 100 RBI's.

However perhaps we'll get a better idea of what his chances will be when Edgar Martinez's name come up. He has outstanding numbers, but he was a DH for 99% of his career (even more then Frank). How the voters react to him could be a clue as to how they will react to Frank since he has spent the majority of his career as a DH.

LipGood call about the steriod committee thing being a chance for Frank to get back in the public eye in a good way.

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Good call about the steriod committee thing being a chance for Frank to get back in the public eye in a good way.Meh. I predict the steroid committee will be a lot of photo ops, and not much else. What, exactly, are they supposed to do, anyway?

We don't need to wait for Martinez. Molitor got in the HOF and he was a DH for the last half of his career. He certainly didn't get in because he distinguished himself as an infielder. If Molitor is in the HOF, Thomas should be.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the club. :cool:

I've been ignoring ESPN the Tabloid since 2001 and am much happier for it. It never ceases to amaze me to see all the people here enraged at ESPN (or Moronotti for that matter). If you put your hand on a hot stove and burn the hell out of it, do you expect a different outcome the next time you put your hand on that hot stove? :rolleyes:

Well, don't we as fans owe it to ourselves in NOT regurgitating this drivel overandoverandoverandover....where do you think this fodder comes from? Moronotti, LevineLine, ESPeoN, etc...all read fan websites and do/say/act just how we claim we hate them to in order for us to AGAIN, start to talk about them.

The only thing I read on a regular basis is the Southtown and Carol Slezak kin the ST....the rest, I scan and dismiss.

SpartanSoxFan
04-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Greenberg is a notorious Flubbie lover/Sox hater. If you are a regular listener to the Mike and Mike Show, you should be familiar with his crowing about his "beloved Cubs" and the crisis he is going through with Mark Prior on the DL. I just stick to the Mike North Show instead on my way to work...its definetely the least nauseating of the two.

Mohoney
04-06-2005, 08:39 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=640628#post640628

Greenberg sucks.

Rocklive99
04-06-2005, 09:18 PM
I dont know how those 2 stay on the air. For every 10mins of their show, theres 20mins of commercials. They also have the uncanny ability to take
FOREVER to make a point ("Todays show, we want to know who is most affected by steroids, the fans or the management. We want you to tell us, in your own words, who you, the Fan, a paying customer of major league baseball, who you think is most affected by Steroids. You the fan, should tell us, in other words, Hey we think such-and-such is most affected by Steroids. We want you to tell us, as a Fan, who you think is the most Affected by this whole scandal") They are annoying and never
really tell us what is going on. They simply report things after theyve happened, nothing is ever ground-breaking, and they ESPECIALLY regurgitate what theyre reading in the papers, adding NOTHING new or any INSIGHT. THey are HORRIBLE when it comes to baseball.
For NFL talk, they much better because the Fat One, Golic was an NFL player and from JULY to FEBRUARY, thats all he does is talk football in a
condescending, I-was-in-the-nfl-you-werent kind of way.
These guys are brutally bad.
As for the Thomas quote, I dont have a problem with it, Greenberg
CORRECTLY said there was a time Big Frank was on Fire and was
Hall-of-Fame bound (to which of course, Golic couldve said Strike Zone
changed, or that this became a Media Favored CubTown so he got
no attention, but instead he could add NOTHING, so he just Grunted and belched his breakfast up) but then suddenly did Nothing for a while.

Idiots.

Wow, great description! Seroiusly, way to much wordiness, something I'm getting penalized badly for in my English course. I do it to fill up pages though, they are getting paid and it gets REAL annoying. Tons of commercials, and they still can't fill up the time? I don't know how many times Greenberg says, "By the way, you're listening to Mike and Mike..." or "By the way, this is *guest* talking to Mike and Mike..." Also, that story about them not really preventing Les of doing an overnight show because of a fear of losing ratings made them look like bigger jags

Lip Man 1
04-06-2005, 09:29 PM
No. 2:

Molitor also played third base for a number of years with the Brewers too.

As far as the steroid committee. It doesn't matter if it accomplishes a thing, it's a chance for Frank to get out, mend fences and influence future voters. Frank had a reputation as being hard to get along with if you were a member member. These guys are human...they carry grudges. It won't hurt Frank in the least to do a little PR and swing a few votes.

Lip

kevingrt
04-06-2005, 09:44 PM
I can't believe Mike and Mike said no way to the Big Hurt, they said he needed two more huge season to go in. I'm trying to figure out if Greeneberg who I really like and liked when he was in Chicago knew there was baseball in the southside when he was here or when he was in Bristol. What do you know they are going to the north side for Opening Day there.

pczarapa
04-06-2005, 09:55 PM

Mike and Mike are amusing to listen to, but I sure don't take their commentary as expert or even relevant in most cases.

Daver
04-06-2005, 10:43 PM
The fact that Mike and Mike might have more legitacamy than the people that actually can vote for the baseball HOF speaks volumes.

The baseball HOF and it's election process is a joke.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Mike and Mike are almost as big of idiots as Boers and Bernstein. I find it amazing that their show is syndicated.

XM175 and forget these guys

Hangar18
04-07-2005, 11:49 AM
The only thing I read on a regular basis is the Southtown and Carol Slezak kin the ST....the rest, I scan and dismiss.

Isnt Carol Slezak the author of such Pulitzer Prize winning pieces as "Lets give Kerry Wood a nickname" and "I-know-its-only-February-but-lets-put-Yankees-Cubs-October-Rotation-together" ? That same Carol Slezak?

ode to veeck
04-07-2005, 12:00 PM
The fact that Mike and Mike might have more legitacamy than the people that actually can vote for the baseball HOF speaks volumes.
Somewhere between mindboggling to unbelievable, but oh so true, unfortunately

Corlose 15
04-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Here's a question, lets say Big Frank doesn't get a golfball size bone spurr, a torn biceps or a fractured navicular. (Insert Police Squad Joke)

Does anyone else think that he'd have the potential to be a 3,000 500HR player? He'd most likely have the 500HR already and he'd probably have a few hundred more hits so I think its possible. Sadly though those things did happen.

Another thing that bothers me is how everybody rips on the DH. Its a league sanctioned position. Why should you be punished for playing a legal position. Elitist NL style snobs if you ask me.:angry:

harwar
04-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Just a few points...
I haven't paid any heed to espn for years now.
Attacks,misinformation,and just being ignored didn't start with chris berman.The battle between espn and the White Sox been going on for a long while now.
I would like to see a nationally syndicated baseball show that was fair and balanced.
As for Frank Thomas they used to compare his numbers with the likes of Babe Ruth,Lou gehrig,and Ted Williams.
If the Big Hurt had come up with yankees or red sox,he would already be considered a HOFer.

Hangar18
04-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Mike and Mike are amusing to listen to, but I sure don't take their commentary as expert or even relevant in most cases.

Amusing? Hardly. They are an NFL Morning Show July thru February,
then for 4 months try to pretend they know about other sports, namely
Baseball. One guy is a wordy-talk-too-much Northwestern grad, who doesnt hide his love for the North Side Corporation (and ignores the SOX)
while his co-host is an arrogant guy just because hes an ex-NFL player who knows a ton about Football and will get on his Soapbox when he isnt busy
belching his breakfast and grunting in "agreement" to a comment dork Green
makes, mostly because Golic has NOTHING to add to this show.

Mike Golic is a 1 dimensional host who eats well.

Captian Ron
04-07-2005, 01:32 PM
I like when the media slams Frank and the White Sox it just gets them pissed off. Hopefully Frank can come out this year and shut them all up. It would just make it all the sweeter. I like when the Sox are the underdog. Like the home page says 2005 Sox flying under the radar.:D: :cool: :gulp:

ChiSox14305635
04-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Those 2 clods are on Chicago Tribune Live on CSN right now. They led off with the Sox collapse today, and during the discussion of the game and the team, neither contributed much to the conversation, except when they were talking about Contreras and how he pitched in NY. Golic mentioned how he grew up in Cleveland and was glad to see Wickman not in today, & Greenberg once again put his foot in his mouth by saying Konerko was the Sox only source of offense, which Sam Smith tried to shoot down. Between the two of them, if they could name 5 Sox players, I'd be shocked.

Naturally, when the conversation switched to the North Side, they hyped their show being broadcast from Murphy's, & how if the Wood/Prior stay healthy, they'll win the NL Central. Same old stuff from ESPN, but at least it was good to see that Sam Smith & David Haugh had a clue on what they were talking about.