PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Radio: ESPN 1000 or The Score?

MARTINMVP
04-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Is there any preference for where Sox fans want their team to be on next season? Or does it not matter? ESPN 1000 or 670 The Score... which station would you rather have the Sox play on?

GiveMeSox
04-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Is there any preference for where Sox fans want their team to be on next season? Or does it not matter? ESPN 1000 or 670 The Score... which station would you rather have the Sox play on?

I definatly think they should stay on ESPN 1000. It is a much better station in terms of its shows, personalities, promotions, recognition and such. ESPN 1000 is the leader for chicago sports radio and there is no better place to be then that. 670 is ok, i just dont think they are as classy and well rounded as ESPN. ESPN does a way better job at what they do with give a aways, promotions, on location broadcasts, meet and greets with their personalities and such. THe only thing I like about 670 is that seem to have a stronger signal for some reason. I beleive they have a higher wattage tower than ESPN 1000 and thus 670 gets better reception outside the chi-town area. One thing I would like to see is ESPN 1000 make a commitment to a better tower and signal, the sox should make it part of their negotions with the station for their new contract.

NardiWasHere
04-06-2005, 01:12 AM
670 by FAR. Boers and Bernstien are my heroes.

Espn has better personalities? Moron-otti had a show on ESPN1000. 670 is a stronger signal, more Chicago-ish... no national shows like Dan Patrick (although I like him)

doublem23
04-06-2005, 03:02 AM
As long as John Rooney is jockeying the mic, I don't care.

Fredsox
04-06-2005, 05:58 AM
I think I prefer AM1000 but as long as I don't have to listen to Mike North I can live with 670. It's really a choice of who do you dislike less, isn't it?

SSN721
04-06-2005, 06:41 AM
Prefer AM1000, who I do think have far far superior talent on the air, sans Boers and Bernstein. But I honetly could really care less as long as Roony and Farmio were still calling the game.

Sad
04-06-2005, 07:43 AM
AM 670 - better signal...

at night, AM1000 turns into soviet radio :?: on this side of the lake... pretty much unlistenable...

MARTINMVP
04-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Anyone see Teddy Greenstein's column today?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0504060365apr06,1,4710572.column?coll=cs-columnists-navigation

Apparentely, the White Sox are close to signing with The Score.

I think Reinsdorf is a tool, and Monday's interview on the Silvy & Carmen show proved it.

Because I am more of an ESPN 1000 listener, I would prefer the Sox to go to WSCR. That way, ESPN 1000 would have room for more shows, and perhaps have a permanent local show from the 7p to 10 p slot (like Jeff Dickerson and Dave Juday, for example).

Yorke97
04-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Without question 670 has the best signal.

I tend to flip flop between the stations, I'll listen to 1000 first thing in the AM,
because anything is better than listening to Mike North. But B&B have the best radio show I've ever listened to, so it's 670 from 10-2. After that it's a crapshoot as to whether or not there's a Sox game I can listen to. Avoid Mike Murphy at all costs.

JRIG
04-06-2005, 08:21 AM
This is either lazy or stupid:

Sources said Boyer, meanwhile, sees many advantages to leaving WMVP, which relies on ESPN programming such as the "Mike and Mike Show" (5 a.m.-9 a.m.) and Dan Patrick (noon-3 p.m.).

If by "relies on" he means "has as much if not more local programming", he's correct. 7 hours of ESPN during the day, 7 hours of local, plus White Sox or Bulls at night.

WSCR's entire focus is Chicago, so the hosts could theoretically talk about the Sox all day.

Yes.....just like the Snore talks Blackhawks 24/7 because they carry the team's games on its airwaves. Oh, except overnight, when they "rely" on Fox Sports programming.

fledgedrallycap
04-06-2005, 08:44 AM
670 for signal strength.

ChiSoxJay
04-06-2005, 08:45 AM
I would prefer to have them on The Score. It has a better signal and I enjoy the emphasis on the local teams. Maybe Reinsdorf can also demand that Murph & Fred return to mornings :smile:

The Wimperoo
04-06-2005, 08:47 AM
670 so that you can actually hear the station at night. Also it would seriously reduce the amount of time Murph is on the air. Which is a wonderful thing.

BeerHandle
04-06-2005, 08:59 AM
670 by FAR. Boers and Bernstien are my heroes.

Espn has better personalities? Moron-otti had a show on ESPN1000. 670 is a stronger signal, more Chicago-ish... no national shows like Dan Patrick (although I like him)

Boers and Bernstien blow. I have never heard anyone complain more then them!

misty60481
04-06-2005, 09:03 AM
If 1000 could strengthen there signal I am all for it,, but 670 has a strong signal and it carries for us out of the city.. I like to fish in evening and bring my radio and listen to Sox,, but there are some high lines not to far from where I fish and it screws up the signal----

irish rover
04-06-2005, 09:13 AM
I go with 670 based on the signal

mikehuff
04-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I can't believe it. Everyone is saying how much better the 670 signal is?

It's the exact opposite for me. I work in Downers Grove and 670 comes in like total crap in my office. 1000 is absolutely perfect here. Crystal clear and strong as ever. I have always had bad 670 reception and I've moved all around this building. That's really strange.

wdelaney72
04-06-2005, 09:42 AM

1) Better signal
2) The Sox on 670 would cut into their talk shows. The fewer talk shows WSCR has, the better off we all are. Their shows absolutely suck.

elrod
04-06-2005, 09:47 AM
I like Mac, Jurko and Harry but not much else on ESPN1000. In Evanston both signals come in good, except in my building where nothing comes in.

Hitmen77
04-06-2005, 10:00 AM
From the Trib article:
A key moment in the bargaining will come Wednesday, when several WSCR executives are scheduled to meet with Brooks Boyer at U.S. Cellular Field.

Boyer didn't return a phone call Tuesday, and Sox spokesman Scott Reifert said the team would not comment.

Hey, let's all e-mail Brooks to find out more details about the meeting!

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 10:25 AM

It's the exact opposite for me. I work in Downers Grove and 670 comes in like total crap in my office. 1000 is absolutely perfect here. Crystal clear and strong as ever. I have always had bad 670 reception and I've moved all around this building. That's really strange.Try to get them at night. 1000 scales back their signal going west after nightfall. I vote for 670 for that reason alone. When Hawk and DJ get off on a tangent and forget there's a baseball game on I can turn off the sound and listen to Rooney and Farmer. But after about 8:00, the signal craps out.

Kogs35
04-06-2005, 10:40 AM
isn't infinity radio telling stations they cant bid on new mlb services cause of xm radio. correct me if I'm wrong but don't these things need to go through infinity radio people too besides the wscr. its a shame uncle jerry doesn't respect the younger generation and only loves people who kiss his ass in mike north. :angry:

irish rover
04-06-2005, 10:51 AM
when I worked downtown at State and Jackson, 1000 would not come in but 670 did. I spent time in Montana and was able to pick up the score up there.

I think it may bring more people over to the sox just as gn has done for the cub

Sad
04-06-2005, 10:54 AM
when I worked downtown at State and Jackson, 1000 would not come in but 670 did. I spent time in Montana and was able to pick up the score up there.

Montana??? :unsure: :?:

Procol Harum
04-06-2005, 10:57 AM
670 definitely for strength and clarity of signal, especially at night. Echoing what others have said, the fact that Sox broadcasts would cut into their other programming would be a service to all humanity.

nlentz88
04-06-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm going to have to go with 670. They're an Infinity station, which in my book ranks slightly higher than a Disney station (ESPN 1000).

Honestly, I don't listen to sports blab radio; why should I care about the uneducated opinions of the losers they put on the air? I do listen to Sox games on the radio, though, and I would rather listen to them on 670 than 1000 for political, economic, and ideological reasons, e.g. Disney is an evil multi-national media conglomerate bent on world domination.

irish rover
04-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Montana??? :unsure: :?:

I worked for the "G" and was sent up there

Paulwny
04-06-2005, 11:13 AM

It's the exact opposite for me. I work in Downers Grove and 670 comes in like total crap in my office. 1000 is absolutely perfect here. Crystal clear and strong as ever. I have always had bad 670 reception and I've moved all around this building. That's really strange.

I'm with you. I'm > 500miles from Chi and I receive AM 1000 when the sun goes down.

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm with you. I'm > 500miles from Chi and I receive AM 1000 when the sun goes down.It's directional. Anyone east gets AM 1000 just fine. I've forgotten the exact details, but there's a west coast station on the same frequency and after sundown, WMVP has to reduce their signal strength going west. It happens right about 8:00 on summer nights, and you can tell right when they do it because the signal suddenly goes to hell.

Paulwny
04-06-2005, 11:27 AM
It's directional. Anyone east gets AM 1000 just fine. I've forgotten the exact details, but there's a west coast station on the same frequency and after sundown, WMVP has to reduce their signal strength going west. It happens right about 8:00 on summer nights, and you can tell right when they do it because the signal suddenly goes to hell.

We had a discussion about this ~6mos ago, I believe in the parking lot. Fenway showed some interesting pictures of AM 1000's signal.

irish rover
04-06-2005, 11:29 AM
that wouldn't be so bad except for the lake

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
We had a discussion about this ~6mos ago, I believe in the parking lot. Fenway showed some interesting pictures of AM 1000's signal.I recall the discussion, but I don't recall any pix. Hey, Fenway. You still got 'em?

chaz171
04-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Without question 670 has the best signal.

I tend to flip flop between the stations, I'll listen to 1000 first thing in the AM,
because anything is better than listening to Mike North. But B&B have the best radio show I've ever listened to, so it's 670 from 10-2. After that it's a crapshoot as to whether or not there's a Sox game I can listen to. Avoid Mike Murphy at all costs.

I agree about the Signal. West of Route 23 is unlistenable.....

soxtalker
04-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Most of the discussion seems to be focused on signal strength rather than personalities. That's the way I'd make the decision. (I receive both pretty well, so it doesn't make that much difference to me.)

Ideally, though, I think that I might prefer the Sox to be on a non-sports station. Since both stations are focused on sports, I think that they will both end up airing a lot more Cub talk than many on this board will like. WGN has an obvious strong Cub bias, which they mderate only slightly when the Sox make a play-off run. But they don't rely entirely upon sports to draw in listeners. (I find the constant comments about the Cubs with little mention of the Sox irritating, but I'll still listen to some WGN shows for the non-sports content.) If ESPN or the Score don't have some Cubs talk, they will lose almost all the Cubs fans.

tebman
04-06-2005, 01:11 PM
It's directional. Anyone east gets AM 1000 just fine. I've forgotten the exact details, but there's a west coast station on the same frequency and after sundown, WMVP has to reduce their signal strength going west. It happens right about 8:00 on summer nights, and you can tell right when they do it because the signal suddenly goes to hell.

All true. Someone asked about a picture fenway had previously posted. I'm pretty sure it came from this link:

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?call=wmvp&is_unl=Y&is_lic=Y&is_cp=Y&sr=Y&s=C&sid=&x=18&y=8

Scroll down to "WMVP-AM Technical Info" and click on "view daytime coverage map" and also "view nighttime coverage map." KOMO is the Seattle station on 1000 kHz. At sundown both stations change their patterns to minimize interference to each other -- WMVP kicks most of its signal to the east, and KOMO kicks most of its signal north and south.

Those patterns were set up more than 60 years ago, so there's practically nothing WMVP can do to change it. WMVP's transmitter is in Downers Grove (3 towers just north of Ogden Avenue and just east of Fairview). When it was built over 50 years ago (when it was WCFL), Downers Grove was way, way out west of Chicago. Now a huge chunk of potential listeners live west of the site and WMVP is stuck with it. The FCC's radio-allocation rules are like a house of cards: if WMVP wants to move its transmitter, it'll change the effect on stations at 990 and 1010 kHz in the U.S. and Canada, and would require a huge engineering expense.

Don't expect to see any pattern changes.

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 01:16 PM
All true. Someone asked about a picture fenway had previously posted. I'm pretty sure it came from this link:

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?call=wmvp&is_unl=Y&is_lic=Y&is_cp=Y&sr=Y&s=C&sid=&x=18&y=8

Scroll down to "WMVP-AM Technical Info" and click on "view daytime coverage map" and also "view nighttime coverage map." KOMO is the Seattle station on 1000 kHz. At sundown both stations change their patterns to minimize interference to each other -- WMVP kicks most of its signal to the east, and KOMO kicks most of its signal north and south.

Those patterns were set up more than 60 years ago, so there's practically nothing WMVP can do to change it. WMVP's transmitter is in Downers Grove (3 towers just north of Ogden Avenue and just east of Fairview). When it was built over 50 years ago (when it was WCFL), Downers Grove was way, way out west of Chicago. Now a huge chunk of potential listeners live west of the site and WMVP is stuck with it. The FCC's radio-allocation rules are like a house of cards: if WMVP wants to move its transmitter, it'll change the effect on stations at 990 and 1010 kHz in the U.S. and Canada, and would require a huge engineering expense.

Don't expect to see any pattern changes.Wow. If their transmitter is the one in DG, I'm not more than 15 miles west of that and I can clearly detect the signal change when they switch over.

SOXSINCE'70
04-06-2005, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=NardiWasHere]670 by FAR. Boers and Bernstien are my heroes.
/QUOTE]

"Burns and Boerstein,who the hell are they??":D: :D:

-Ken Harrelson during a 2004 White Sox broadcast

tacosalbarojas
04-06-2005, 01:19 PM
670 so that you can actually hear the station at night. Also it would seriously reduce the amount of time Murph is on the air. Which is a wonderful thing.Could you imagine how ahgast Murph would be about this? Awesome. From this standpoint alone - the SOX games cutting directly into Murph's cubtime - the SOX should go to the Score.

HawkISox
04-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I am pretty sure all of us want it to be on 670 since we can get it no problem.

duke of dorwood
04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
I hate 670 and the crap they have on the air. I vote for AM 1000-if they get rid of Marc "I'm gonna stick basketball down your throats" Silverman

SoxxoS
04-06-2005, 03:31 PM
that wouldn't be so bad except for the lake

I actually laughed out loud at that one...

But WMVP is solid for all of the WSI members that sleep on their yacht.

ChiSoxBobette
04-06-2005, 03:37 PM

I think the White Sox need a new station, espn/wmvp if you listen is so scrub orientated even opening day they had more on about the scrubs than they did about the White Sox and thier opening day , they interviewed the scrub GM, scrub new announcer and they would cut in with updates from mr. scrub- Levine who was down in Arizona every ten minutes talking about what else - the scrubs. It was a joke.

harwar
04-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Wow. If their transmitter is the one in DG, I'm not more than 15 miles west of that and I can clearly detect the signal change when they switch over.
Yea,wmvp goes into a deeply directional pattern after sunset,to prevent skywave interference to seattle and oklahoma city.
Up here where i live they seem like maybe a 5kw station at night.
During the day wmvp is mildly directional,with the energy focused to the southeast.
"The score" is a non-directional station and has the additional advantage of lower frequencies on the dial,which makes for better ground wave propagation.

I want Mags back
04-06-2005, 05:37 PM
ESPN is by far better in my book, except during the Mike North Show. But everone else sucks there. The signal for me is the same

kevingrt
04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
WSCR is a grade school station compared to the professional job they put on at WMVP ESPN Radio 1000. I wish either WhiteSox.com, or Chicagosports.com would put a poll up on this subject.

Wait, great idea for WSI.com, put a poll up on which station Sox fans would rather listen to their baseball on. Anyone like The Loop 97.9 FM??? LoL

JoseCanseco6969
04-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Doesnt matter much to me as long as I can get it in Dekalb clearer. 670 seems to be easier to pick up than AM 1000.

misty60481
04-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Do any stations such as WBBM--780 or WLS--890 ever bid on sports,,we can get both signals strong out where we live---

peeonwrigley
04-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Way down south here in Champaign 1000 comes in pretty well during the day but is non-existant at night. Just for that reason, I'd say 670 for sure. There's lots of Sox fans that have issues getting radio reception after the signal downgrade that would love to see them hop on a more powerful frequency.

Jerome
04-06-2005, 09:09 PM
The score because then we would always get a full MJ&H show. However, it probably means that they would spend much more time talking about the cubs.

tebman
04-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Do any stations such as WBBM--780 or WLS--890 ever bid on sports,,we can get both signals strong out where we live---

Y'know, I wondered about that. WMVP and WLS are both owned by Disney, since Disney owns both ABC and ESPN. WLS is legendary among radio geeks for having a potent, loud signal. Sometime in the mid-80s WLS was seriously in the hunt to carry the Bears games, but they were outbid by WGN. If the Sox aren't happy with WMVP, maybe they could move down the hall and be on WLS.:cool:

I would love to hear the Sox on WLS -- we'd hear them all the way to the Arctic Circle with that signal!

Lip Man 1
04-06-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm sure the Sox would love to have other station interested in their rights. Compitition drives up the price.

Chicago radio has sure changed that's for sure...used to be you'd have at least three and sometimes four or five stations fighting over the rights to do the local
clubs games...not anymore.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
04-06-2005, 10:08 PM
WBBM and WLS would not want to be a part of the White Sox because the 162-game schedule would be too disruptive to their non-sports programming. The Bears are a different case as far as WBBM and its all news format concerned because Bears games take place on Sundays when the news cycle is slow.

Ever since the White Sox left WMAQ after the 1995 season, I have wanted the Sox on that 670 frequency because of its 24/7 50,000-watt clear channel blowtorch. This morning's article in the Tribune was very encouraging for Sox fans wanting the team to return to 670.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Having the arrogant Rick "Northwestern Yuppie Cubbie Kool Aid Drinker" Tellander be the lead-in to Sox games would totally blow. I much prefer MacJurkoHarry. But the signal strength makes it a toss up. I live in the way out collar county of Cook County in Bartlett and certain radios in my house have a tough time with AM1000 at night.

Viva Medias B's
04-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Having the arrogant Rick "Northwestern Yuppie Cubbie Kool Aid Drinker" Tellander be the lead-in to Sox games would totally blow. I much prefer MacJurkoHarry. But the signal strength makes it a toss up. I live in the way out collar county of Cook County in Bartlett and certain radios in my house have a tough time with AM1000 at night.

Even though I don't think it will happen, there is talk the Score will try to lure Dan McNeil back when his ESPN 1000 contract expires in May.

Viva Medias B's
04-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Where do you want the Sox to go?

Huisj
04-06-2005, 11:51 PM
670 simply for the reason of reception here in grand rapids. i can pick it up great here. 1000 is usually static during daytime here.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Who keeps voting for WMVP, especially after how they have run a smear campaign against us? Examples: MJH making fun of today's attendance, MJH getting all over Ozzie the other day for having Shingo finish the game instead of having Buehrle pitch the 9th, M&M ripping Big Frank, the JR interview (albeit JR being the antagonist), Bruce LeVineLine.

batmanZoSo
04-07-2005, 12:50 AM
670 simply for the reason of reception here in grand rapids. i can pick it up great here. 1000 is usually static during daytime here.

1000 doesn't come in if you're in a metal roof building in the south suburbs in my experience.

kevingrt
04-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Who keeps voting for WMVP, especially after how they have run a smear campaign against us? Examples: MJH making fun of today's attendance, MJH getting all over Ozzie the other day for having Shingo finish the game instead of having Buehrle pitch the 9th, M&M ripping Big Frank, the JR interview (albeit JR being the antagonist), Bruce LeVineLine.

Have you listened to WSCR anytime? North, Boers & Bernsy they may be funny but they take their fair share of rips at the Sox and their fan base too. Each side of the dial will do it, but I fear if we move to WSCR Rooney or Farmer might be gone and I would dearly hate that.

Church Turtle
04-07-2005, 10:18 AM
I voted for the score entirely because of the signal. We pick it up great (ok, not great, but good) here in the outback. But, AM 1000? I have trouble pulling it in on the car stereo if I'm south of I-80.

(-rant begins- On a semi-related note. Why can't a media monster with bookoo bucks like Disney put a real Chicago morning show on WMVP? I can't pick it up here, but I think it really stinks that you guys are forced to listen to two dudes in New York go on and on about the BoSox and Yankees when Chicago has the SOX and that other team. -rant over-)

irish rover
04-07-2005, 10:21 AM
that is a question I have, is thier contracts with am 1000 or the sox or do they have an out to follow the team not matter where they go?

with this being rooneys 17th season and farmios 13th, they both moved when the sox went to the mvp so I don't see why they wouldn't move too

SOXSINCE'70
04-07-2005, 02:11 PM
I'd love to hear the Sox on the SNORE just so sCrUBbie
lovers like Ofman,Jesse Rogers and that sCrUBbie bee-yotch
Mike Murphy would have to say positive things about the Sox
(occasionally) and take phone calls from teed off Sox fans
who should put all 3 of these pathetic losers through the wringer!!:angry:

SouthBendSox
04-07-2005, 05:03 PM
espn 1000 all the way

no contest

the guys on 670 are lame, not funny, and rude as hell

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2005, 05:52 PM
I would vote for 670 because on a clear night, sometimes I can hear 670 from Dallas, Texas. When driving to visit my family in Chicago, I certainly could hear 670 through Missouri and southern Illinois.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2005, 06:27 PM
I fear if we move to WSCR Rooney or Farmer might be gone and I would dearly hate that.

In case someone else didn't reply to this already, the Sox decide who the announcers are and not the station.

hellenicsoxfan
04-07-2005, 06:54 PM
I'd have to say WSCR. This would force that knucklehead, cubloving dirtbag Murphy to talk about the Sox. Also, as others have mentioned, his show would regularly be preempted by Sox games. Anything that gets this jerk off the air has to be good.

Another consideration in my vote is that the Sox have been on ESPN radio for several years now. During these years, the Sox have been ignored/insulted/ degraded/laughed at by the on-air "talent" and corporate suits in Bristol. At the same time, they have been having a love affair with their beloved cubbies. Not a good way to treat a corporate partner. Time to send ESPN packing.

CaptainJinks
04-07-2005, 07:32 PM
voted 670 WSCR

In Peoria, Galesburg, Kewanee, the Quad Cities, Dubuque IA and my new home, Galena IL, the signal from AM 1000 is often unlistenable - especially at night.

670 booms in 5x5 almost everywhere.

crazyozzie02
04-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Im going with WSCR for a couple of reasons. First of all, i hate ESPN for all of its national coverage. The Score only has national coverage at night when im usually in bed or have heard all the different sides of all the sports stories for the day. Second of all is that even though ESPN carries the White Sox, i would have to say that about 75% of the baseball talk is about the FLUBS. That right there sickens me......wait a minute, i think i have an idea like my t.v. sports thread. Be back later with that, but theres my input

harwar
04-08-2005, 12:27 PM
voted 670 WSCR

In Peoria, Galesburg, Kewanee, the Quad Cities, Dubuque IA and my new home, Galena IL, the signal from AM 1000 is often unlistenable - especially at night.

670 booms in 5x5 almost everywhere.

If your interested in investing in a radio made especially for DXing,then i recommend the CCRADIOplus ($164.95) used along with the twin coil ferrite am antenna($99.95).
Both can be purchased at ccrane.com

rdivaldi
04-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Signal strength aside, wouldn't the Sox signing on with the Score be a recipe for disaster? Most of the guys on the Score are loose cannon types. I'm sure it would be only a matter of days before JR and the ownership group got pissed off about something said on the air, causing a huge media flap making the Sox look even worse in the public eye. There's no way that Murph could ever be coaxed into changing his format to even give 25% of his air time to the Sox over his beloved Flubs. Not to mention that ESPN has been gaining market share on the Score over the past 2 years.

Stick with AM 1000.

Stroker Ace
04-09-2005, 01:47 AM
I listen to WMVP,but I like that The Score doesn't have any national shows. I can't stand Dan Patrick!

shoota
04-09-2005, 03:44 AM
I voted for the Score based on the insane improvement in reception over am 1000. I didn't know that until I read this thread. Missouri, Southern Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, MONTANA, Dallas freaking Texas?! That's a great way to build a fan base and gain some respect around the country. If the Sox go on a modest streak of at least winning the division for two or three years in a row, our fanbase would increase dramatically. Our fan base is poor in the southern half of this state. A switch to am 670 would greatly improve our fan base.

tebman
04-09-2005, 10:24 AM
I voted for the Score based on the insane improvement in reception over am 1000. I didn't know that until I read this thread. Missouri, Southern Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, MONTANA, Dallas freaking Texas?! That's a great way to build a fan base and gain some respect around the country. If the Sox go on a modest streak of at least winning the division for two or three years in a row, our fanbase would increase dramatically. Our fan base is poor in the southern half of this state. A switch to am 670 would greatly improve our fan base.

Oh yeah -- that's what makes the Tribune so successful. They package the Cubs with another full-size AM signal in WGN and with the national cable-TV exposure of WGN-TV, and voila! They've got a national fan base.

It can be done -- I think I'll send an e-mail to Brooks and tell him to get right on that.

nug0hs
04-14-2005, 04:28 PM
I'd rather hear them on AM 1000. I am at school in Kalamazoo, Michigan (exactly 140 miles from The Cell) and I can get AM 1000 crystal clear in my Jeep. My MLB.tv user/pw was not working on opening day so I sat in my car by myself and listened to as much of the action as I could. As long as I can still get AM 1000 in another state and time zone it is perfect by me.

XplodingScorbord
04-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Gotta be 670 for those of us in Iowa. Can barely get 1000. 670 I get, no problem!

owensmouth
04-14-2005, 06:51 PM
After yesterday's nonsense, no more ESPN 1000

MtEverett
04-14-2005, 07:00 PM
http://670thescore.com/includes/news_items/3/121/pic_sm_j_hood.jpg "I need a job"

IF they go to 670, I'm assumming this is the new Brian Dolgin.
HighSchool Holla....ohh boy

TwinGats
04-16-2005, 04:49 PM
As long as John Rooney is jockeying the mic, I don't care.

that's my only concern...

:gulp:

Viva Medias B's
04-16-2005, 08:08 PM
After yesterday's nonsense, no more ESPN 1000

What specifically was "yesterday's nonsense"? There has been so much of it coming from ESPN 1000 lately.

rcsoxfan
04-20-2005, 06:02 PM
If you want to listen to quality talk on a national basis, scattered with Sox games, interrupted by the bulls, then leave the Sox on Espn 1000, if you want the best signal in the city and surrounding area then maybe 670. But, if you're one of the fans who don't live in the city area, and who have followed this team with every bit of your sports heart and soul for the last 35 years, then you must consider that XM has given you a gift.
If you live where you can see and listen to your favorite Sox players and games then you really should be happy to get them on which ever station you get them. It won't really much matter in the long run. But, if you're like me and few others that i have read their posts, then you should consider this question....how much of a true Sox fan are you?
If you can say the following:
1. I pay 12.95 a month so i can make sure that i have coverage of the Sox games on the radio to XM.

2. If you pay an additional 5.00 per month to an already overpriced dish network just so you can get Comcast Chicago just to watch the Sox, that's on top of the 60 bucks or so you normally pay...

3. If to go to the cell for you involves driving for six hours each way, or making a family vacation out of it.

4. If you can say that you are outnumbered by fans of the cubs, cards or reds at least ten to one in your hometown.

then you can consider yourself a Sox fan to the ultimate degree. I'm not saying that those of you who live in the city and surrounding area aren't true, loyal and believing Sox fans. I'm just saying be thankful that all you have to do to listen to a Sox game is just turn on the radio....consider yourself fortunate.
Please excuse my frankness and tone, it's just appreciate what you have.
To my fellow Sox fans, I say keep up the cheers at the Cell for me until i can get there myself....Go Sox.....

nasox
04-20-2005, 08:10 PM
I can get ESPN at night in Hanover, New Hampshire

oscargamblesfro
04-20-2005, 11:01 PM
I can't believe all the people who dislike B&B. It is Radio for the non dumb. They constantly hold the stupid peoples feet to the fire. They don't let Dusty get away with his crackpot ramblings and they like real fans who aren't sheep following the flock. Meaning people that are knowledgable of their teams. The people that tend to dislike B&B the most are the excuse makers, mainly cub fans. I don't play that card very often but it seems to be true. It is the only show that is remotely entertaining on the Score. Mike North has become a caricature of himself, I purchased Sirius Sat. for the morning drive to work just to avoid the clown. I also like Mac, Jurko and Harry for the ride home. So since I receive both stations decent where I live, I say give it to the channel that has the best signal and can reach the most Sox fans. We need em!

Rocklive99
04-20-2005, 11:09 PM
670, easier to get and sounds better than AM 1000. I've heard stories of people in Florida or Pennsylvania being able to get 670. I could care less about the other air personalities, as long as it's always Rooney and Farmer doing the games. The only objection I had to a move to 670 was that Wills would probably not come along, but that isn't an issue anymore.

Plus, from the Score's perspective, anything that preempts Murph is great. It's not like ESPN gives us any special treatment or anything, the only thing is that you can win Sox tix on the air, but the Score would probably adopt that. Boers and Bernsie our my favorite radio guys, Carmen and Silvy are good too though, I like listening to them. I do also listen to MJH sometimes, but only because absolute crap is on the Score (Telander? ***?). Let's not got on the issue of North :rolleyes: They would still need to do some big changes, but I'd probably only be listening for the Sox games and B&B anyways

gaelhound
04-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Madison Wisconsin: The papers here cover Badger, Packer, & Brewer.
I need the clear signal from 670 to offset the gross ignorance I encounter with every turn of the "sports" section. 1000 is a hit and miss affair any time, 670 is very clear under almost all conditions Keep Rooney and Farmer!

yoester
04-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Where's the vote for other? I would prefer them on an exclusive flagship station where all they talk about is Sox. The Cubs have their own on 720, all they talk about is Cubs. Let's face it, 670 or 1000, it's flooded with Cubs. Sox are 16-4, best team in baseball, turn the dial, all they are talking about is Dusty leaving Fox in and Fox getting hurt.

B&B are way too opinionated on everything and hang up on callers.
Carmen & Silvy - Silvy is a motor mouth and drones on and on about Cubs.
Telander - Is boring.
MJH - Way too many commercials when they are on.
Murph - Rename him, Mr. Cub.

yoester
04-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I loved the games on The Zone 94.7 FM. Hearing the games in stereo was awesome!