PDA

View Full Version : Where should I sit with my boys?

Sufferin
04-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm finally getting around to taking my 6 yer old and 3 year old to their first game (probably the 16th).

Since many of you know the park like the back of your hand I thought I'd ask for your opinions on the best place to sit with them. My 6 year old is just learning the game and I'd really like him to see it played at the highest level. He doesn't quite get a good appreciation of it playing in his little league, where the coaches pitch and we don't keep score.

So I'm open to any and all suggestions, maybe I should have made this a poll, but I wouldn't even know which locations to put on the list (well mostly because I'm too lazy to do it really).

Thanks in advance for you help.:D:

Parrothead
04-05-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm finally getting around to taking my 6 yer old and 3 year old to their first game (probably the 16th).

Since many of you know the park like the back of your hand I thought I'd ask for your opinions on the best place to sit with them. My 6 year old is just learning the game and I'd really like him to see it played at the highest level. He doesn't quite get a good appreciation of it playing in his little league, where the coaches pitch and we don't keep score.

So I'm open to any and all suggestions, maybe I should have made this a poll, but I wouldn't even know which locations to put on the list (well mostly because I'm too lazy to do it really).

Thanks in advance for you help.:D:

I would get lower deck tickets in advance in the right field area. This way you see into the Sox dugout easily, see all the scoreboards, get into the hall of fame and most importantly have access to the fan deck and the fundementals area. There is lots for kids to see in the lower deck. So when the kids get bored take them for a walk.

jabrch
04-06-2005, 12:45 AM
I'd say the scout seats...and take Uncle Jabrch with you!

Seriously - with kids, I'd say the upper deck in the first row if possible. It gives you a great perspective on the game and you can point out to them all sorts of things that only a high viewpoint can give you. The only drawback to that is that you might not be able to take them to FUNdamentals...so if that's the case, I'd probably buy lowers in the area between the bases and the wall, as close to field level as possible.

HomeFish
04-06-2005, 12:51 AM
You can get to FUNdamentals via the UD.

StillMissOzzie
04-06-2005, 01:15 AM
I would get lower deck tickets in advance in the right field area. This way you see into the Sox dugout easily, see all the scoreboards, get into the hall of fame and most importantly have access to the fan deck and the fundementals area. There is lots for kids to see in the lower deck. So when the kids get bored take them for a walk.

I agree with Parrothead, get lower deck tix, near the infield. And as rabid baseball fans as they might be, it is good to have access to the Sox HOF and FUNdamentals, because IMHO they will get bored before the game is over, at that age.

SMO
:gulp:

SouthBendSox
04-06-2005, 01:38 AM
anywhere but Wrigley

Charno
04-06-2005, 01:54 AM
Box seats as close to home plate as possible, you get a really good top down view of the game. Alternatively, upper deck tickets near the front row would be good as well. I wouldnt reccomend seats in the outfield, I remember sitting in the outfield as a kid and I couldn't follow anything too well. Plus, you have to turn all the way around to see the entertaining stuff on the jumbotron.

pinwheels3530
04-06-2005, 02:31 AM
I'd say the scout seats...and take Uncle Jabrch with you!

Seriously - with kids, I'd say the upper deck in the first row if possible. It gives you a great perspective on the game and you can point out to them all sorts of things that only a high viewpoint can give you. The only drawback to that is that you might not be able to take them to FUNdamentals...so if that's the case, I'd probably buy lowers in the area between the bases and the wall, as close to field level as possible.

Agreed I had season tickets up there and my kid paid more attention to the game when sitting up there.

whitesoxwilkes
04-06-2005, 07:45 AM
I'd say anywhere in the LD within the infield.

Your kids will never ever forget how amazing it is the first time they see up close how hard major leaguers swing the bat and hit the ball, even when it's just a groundout.

mrwag
04-06-2005, 07:57 AM
I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. It's best to go in the lower deck, because hiking up the UD is a chore, and actually with the little ones is a bit scary at times. Not trying to start an argument about the steepness or anything, but it's much easier with little kids in the lower deck.

wdelaney72
04-06-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm right there with you. My oldest will be 5 in July, and my little guy is 1 1/2. I've taken my older son before. Here's a bit of friendly advice. Invest in consecutive Lemon Chills for the younger one. Each lemon chill is about 3 innings of entertainment. You won't regret it.

The beauty of the Cell is there are so many good places to sit. If you can't stay within the infield in the lower deck, go upstairs. Avoid sitting in the outfield. Too many yahoos and it's really hard for kids to grasp the speed of the game from back there.

Also, the first kids day is May 15. If you buy tickets at walkup, kids are $1. I've already got that marked on the calendar - and the beauty is son #2 (1 1/2 yr old) is staying home with mom. YES!

elrod
04-06-2005, 08:52 AM
LD is obviously best for the overall game experience. But you might be surprised at how much the kids want to explore. There's a lot to see on the lower lever - my son (3 yrs old) loved the fan deck. Off course he couldn't stop staring at a 350 pound mutant drinking a beer but hey, that's life. We went to the upper deck one game and had a good time there too. One nice thing about the upper deck is the fencing on top where the kids can look out over the city. My son is a huge train fan and loved watching the freight trains roll by. So it depends on how into the game your kids are. LD is best at first, to give them a real taste for what the field looks like. But if they want to explore - and they will - then be prepared to watch about one pitch an inning for awhile.

Sad
04-06-2005, 08:58 AM
LD infield are most likely gone by now...

plan on sitting down the line (near poles) or outfield if you're thinking LD... for the 16th anyways...

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 09:17 AM
This depends on your budget. I'd advise just getting the best seats you can afford. You won't be disappointed no matter where you sit.

Jerko
04-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Lower deck, easy. I'm assuming that with a 3 and 6 year old, they are now at the "Wandering" stage and don't like to be still for 3 hours. So, if you walk around the LD, you can stay on the concourse and still see the game. If you walk around the upper deck, the "concourse" up there is (obviously) behind/under the seats, so all you'll be able to see are food stands and bathrooms. If they stay still for 3 hours then MAYBE the first row up there is ok, but I think you (and they) will enjoy the LD more.

Tekijawa
04-06-2005, 09:38 AM
I know that is a teacher Discount day too (April 16th)... I know that people on this site have access to coupons for 75% off tickets, I can't remember who it was that has them though maybe some here can point you in the right direction? (Just saw that the teacher night thread was stuck at the top) My wife was only able to get 2 coupons per game and we are going to all 4 teachers games or I would have offered you mine, but there is nothing like sitting in the lower bowl for $7.50 a ticket, you could spend the rest of the money on either food or a nice Sox hat for the both of them... just a thought?!?!?!?

JKryl
04-06-2005, 10:23 AM
I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. It's best to go in the lower deck, because hiking up the UD is a chore, and actually with the little ones is a bit scary at times. Not trying to start an argument about the steepness or anything, but it's much easier with little kids in the lower deck.

Absolutely, and remember, they will get bored. The lower deck gives you a lot of options to occupy them as a break once in a while, from the kids zone to Nancy Faust.

BRDSR
04-06-2005, 10:55 AM
My personal favorite is the outfield bleachers, but with a 6 and a 3 yearold, I'm not sure thats the greatest idea. They're probably the roudiest and most foul-languaged section in the park, especially the the stadiums not sold out(when it is, the upper deck rivals the bleachers). I'm also a fan of the first five rows of the upper deck at USCF especially because you save some cash at the same time. However, if its they're first time going I think you have to get the best lowerdeck seats that you can find. Not only do you want the kids to get the best view of the on-field action, but I think you also want them to have access the lower deck concourse which you don't have from the upper deck. I love getting to the park an hour and a half early and just walking around wandering into the stores and the White Sox Hall of Fame and Cap Corner and the fan deck and all that stuff and I'm 19. Your kids would love it too.

Banix12
04-06-2005, 11:13 AM

I would say Parrothead is right, though I would make one more suggestion, try to get the seats closer to the concourse than to the field. your children are young and walking down all the steps to get really close to the field might get tiresome. Though you really can't go wrong anywhere you sit down there.

robiwho
04-06-2005, 01:22 PM
My kids are also 3 and 6 and I would have to agree with everyone who suggested getting tickets in the 100 level. It's hard for them to sit through an entire game and they will probably need to get up and walk around at some point. If you're anywhere in the lower level, you can walk the concourse and still keep tabs on the game.

We took the kids to Saturday's game in Milwaukee and they did pretty well for the first 5 or so innings. By the 7th, my husband took them for a walk while my brother and I watched the rest of the game.

Popcorn was our food weapon of choice for that game -- that kept my daughter in her seat for several innings.:D:

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 01:49 PM
My kids are also 3 and 6 and I would have to agree with everyone who suggested getting tickets in the 100 level. It's hard for them to sit through an entire game and they will probably need to get up and walk around at some point. If you're anywhere in the lower level, you can walk the concourse and still keep tabs on the game.

We took the kids to Saturday's game in Milwaukee and they did pretty well for the first 5 or so innings. By the 7th, my husband took them for a walk while my brother and I watched the rest of the game.

Popcorn was our food weapon of choice for that game -- that kept my daughter in her seat for several innings.:D:That's one of the great things about the FUNdamentals area. The kids can go there and blow off some steam and you can still watch the game from there. I went up there on opening day and I wish they had that when mine were small.

zach074
04-06-2005, 05:36 PM
I would avoid the top rows of the upper deck, I wouldn't want a 3 year old trying to climb those.

kevingrt
04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Another quick thing about the ballpark the sun sets on the 1st base side. So if you want to be in teh sun as long as possible especially afternoon games sit in the bleachers or left field area or anywhere on the 3rd base side. Just telling you becuase a lot of you like the sun.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-06-2005, 10:02 PM
For those of you with wandering toddlers, the bleachers are great. They can plop down and sit anywhere, and they don't like being confined to a specific seat. They prefer to sit up against you. And there is more room between rows, so they can run back in forth in front of you easier. But on the other hand, the first few rows in the upper deck are great because their view won't be obstructed if an adult sits in front of them. But they won't watch much, they'd rather run. Bleachers.