PDA

View Full Version : Definition of "fan"?

comiskey2000
04-05-2005, 06:41 PM
I often am peeved when i meet people who claim to be a Sox "fan" but really dont watch or listen to the games and know very little about the team. Is there a way to deal wit these people and are they considered "fans"? I personally do not believe someone is a fan unless they make an effort to listen to or watch every game possible. Am I too harsh?

voodoochile
04-05-2005, 06:49 PM
yes, that is too strict a standard, IMO.

Fans come in all shapes and forms. Many people cannot watch or listen to every game for logistic purposes. I think the important thing is to identify yourself as a fan. Some are hardcore and some are casual, but a fan is a fan is a fan.

mealfred13
04-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Hmmmm I dunno. I'm more of a die-hard fan; I followed every game in spring training, I watch every game during the regular season, and I try to go to a few games a season. Then I read all about the team on their website and places like this.

My dad got me watching Sox games when I was no more than 4 or 5 years old, and he used to be as obsessed with watching games as I have been the past 6 or 7 years. He's not as big a fan of watching games regularly anymore, but he's still a huge Sox fan and Cub hater, even if he isn't following the games as much as he used to.

Basically, there are fans, and there are people like me who center their lives around White Sox baseball between the months of March and September, and hopefully October for a change. While it may annoy you that some people claim to be fans but don't watch every game, it doesn't really mean they're any less of a fan, but maybe just that they have other things to do....lol.

fusillirob1983
04-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Just for my own judgment, I go by if they're consistent. I don't consider bandwagon jumpers fans.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Everyone on this site is a fan. I know WAY TOO MANY people who are like "yeah, i like the sox" but can't name one person on the team. i dont know if those people are true sox 'fans'

MeanFish
04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Fandom Dictionary
=============
White Sox Fan: A person who declares the Chicago White Sox as their undisputed team of choice.

Die-Hard White Sox Fan: A person who maintains their allegiance for the White Sox through thick and thin

Hardcore White Sox Fan: A person who devotes a great portion of their time, thought and energy to the Chicago White Sox. See: most posters on this site.

Casual White Sox Fan: Someone who pays a little attention to the team and might catch a few games on tv or something, but wouldn't even consider rooting for anyone else.

Obviously, these can vary. For instance, a person can be both a die-hard fan and a casual fan in that they don't really pay too much attention but even in the worst of times they'll tell you their a Sox fan without blinking. It's just that simple.

Or, you can be a hardcore fan for a whlie, and let it dwindle away. Many Cubs fans will do this the next time the team weakens and becomes truly brutal again.

Someone who says they're a Chicago fan and likes both teams isn't a Sox fan. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

kevingrt
04-05-2005, 07:06 PM
The worst are people characterized as Sox fans that rush the field. They are obviously not Sox fans if they want to hinder the game.

DaveIsHere
04-05-2005, 07:16 PM
I sometimes think that I am pathetically obsessed with the Sox, but then I guess there are worse thing to be addicted too. My life during these months is all White Sox, I get pissed if I cannot watch/listen to an entire game, or if I cannot at least get an update to what is going on. This team makes me drink too much sometimes and it makes me completely elated at others. I would rather watch a game then eat. All in all I am proud to be a White Sox fan!!!!

MeanFish
04-05-2005, 07:40 PM
I sometimes think that I am pathetically obsessed with the Sox, but then I guess there are worse thing to be addicted too. My life during these months is all White Sox, I get pissed if I cannot watch/listen to an entire game, or if I cannot at least get an update to what is going on. This team makes me drink too much sometimes and it makes me completely elated at others. I would rather watch a game then eat. All in all I am proud to be a White Sox fan!!!!

I for one KNOW that I'm pathetically obsessed. The circumstances of my becoming a crazed fan involved one of my ex-girlfriends cheating on me about halfway through March in 2003. We broke up shortly thereafter, and I found myself with a wealth of time on my hands and the need for something to take my mind off of the whole thing. Then I remembered that it was almost time for opening day, and I had always been a casual Sox fan...and the rest is history. I don't know if that's depressing or awesome. Probably a combination of the two. :redneck

Daver
04-05-2005, 07:57 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/Fan.jpg

DaveIsHere
04-05-2005, 07:57 PM

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MeanFish
04-05-2005, 07:58 PM

I don't know if I have the power to do so, but can I nominate that for potw?

SpammySosa
04-05-2005, 08:08 PM
I for one KNOW that I'm pathetically obsessed. The circumstances of my becoming a crazed fan involved one of my ex-girlfriends cheating on me about halfway through March in 2003. We broke up shortly thereafter, and I found myself with a wealth of time on my hands and the need for something to take my mind off of the whole thing. Then I remembered that it was almost time for opening day, and I had always been a casual Sox fan...and the rest is history. I don't know if that's depressing or awesome. Probably a combination of the two. :redneck

Sometimes it is not the path you choose that is important,but,rather,the destination. :D:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-05-2005, 08:15 PM
In my opinion, a Sox fan is anyone who is willing to admit it publicly. Allow me to explain:

It is not cool or trendy to be a Sox fan. I know a lot of people who know nothing about baseball, and yet claim to be Cubs fans just because they think, as Chicagoans, they're supposed to. It's as if rooting for the Cubs is the "default position" for the uneducated in this city. So if someone is at least knowledgeable enough about baseball to forgo the "Cubs Birthright" and claim allegiance to the Sox, that already shows me a lot.

Also, the Sox fans I know go to the Park to watch the game, not talk on cell phones, drink beer, and ogle hot girls (okay, maybe the last two, but only as secondary interests). I've posted this before, but I'm surprised that more people aren't killed at the Urinal every year by line drive fouls. When you look around, almost no one is paying attention to what's happening on the field.

flo-B-flo
04-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Take the names off the back of the uniforms. The REAL fan still knows who the players are. The others will not have a clue.:smile:

comiskey2000
04-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Of course TONS more people at Cubs games talk on cell phones and all that, but not everyone at US Cellular is as "into the game" as you say. Sure I would like it to be that way but there are always countless people on their phones...personally, i hope never to become so dependent on a cell phone that i am always on it...Very few people are that important

comiskey2000
04-05-2005, 08:33 PM
I think my biggest problem is when i see someone who follows baseball 5 days a year who claims to be a big fan and wears clothes of their team. Is it wrong to feel that they arent worthy?...its a strong feeling I know.

SouthSideHitman
04-05-2005, 08:42 PM
I think that we can take things too much to heart and that's often a bad thing. Every team, especially the more succesful/popular ones have less intense fans. We as the truly diehard can often feel angered by people claiming the same title as us without going through the obsessive offeseasons, the long depressions and the out of town scoreboard watching but that's not how it is. The fact is we need people to identify with the Sox even if they aren't that passionate because that's how the world works. If teams depened on only the "true" fans, they'd be broke. The reason we're sick of cubs fans is beacuse there are soooo many casual fans who just default cubs (as another post already detailed), which makes us feel surrounded. The cubs message is easy to package, tempting to buy into, it is the dark side of baseball, it looks real nice but it'll eat you from the inside out. Having a lot of casual fans means more tickets, more money, more free agents and MORE RESPECT. The Sox fanbase is rabid and fickle but small we need to embrace the Sox as an idea that can help us expand. Underdogs from the wrong side of town, gruff realists with no curse, team with a real park, whatever we just need something soon.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
not everyone at US Cellular is as "into the game" as you say.
Here's what I said:
Also, the Sox fans I know go to the Park to watch the game, not talk on cell phones...
When did I claim to know "everyone at US Cellular?" People everywhere talk on their cell phones too much, in their cars, in grocery stores, in restaurants and even movie theaters :angry:. My point was that there is a greater proportion of idiots in Wrigley Field who spend the entire game on their phones ignoring whatever is happening on the field.

comiskey2000
04-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Also, the Sox fans I know go to the Park to watch the game, not talk on cell phones...
fair enough...you are correct

BRDSR
04-06-2005, 11:07 AM

Man, and I'm stuck trying to juggle a relationship with my girl and my relationship with the White Sox. Fortunately she's beginning to have a reasonable affection for the White Sox but unfortunately she is tempted to buy into the appeal of the Blue Team. She's a sorority girl though, so she's always being bombarded with garbage about hwo the Blue Team is so much better. So far I've been able to keep this in check. She knows I'm not kidding when I say I hate the Cubs and everyone and everything involved with them.

Spicoli
04-06-2005, 11:38 AM
"Fan" is short for "fanatic". Knowing the root form of the word might help in defining what it means; or at least what it originally meant. See A. Bartlett Giamatti's book, "Take Time for Paradise."

GregoryEtc
04-06-2005, 11:51 AM

http://www.datphan.com/dpp/Dat%20Phan%20Online-Images/7.jpg

LVSoxFan
04-06-2005, 11:58 AM
I don't mind if somebody's a casual fan; if they're coming to the games or wearing the jersey--hey, it's another body.

Yes, the reality is that Chicago is, and always will be, a Cubs town. Part of it's the team's silly legacy of loveable losers--the perpetual underdog--and then it became, two years ago, the Team That Could Play With the Big Boys but they were thwarted by... Bartman.

But the other part of it is Wrigley Field; face it, there's no other park like it in the country, and the experience of going there attracted people regardless of how good the team was. It's the real star in the Cubs organization, which is why it will never go away. Put the Sox in that locale and the situation would probably be reversed.

The Cubs have a built-in marketing gimmick: come to the game, drink beers the whole time, then venture out just steps away into whatever local bar you want to continue at. Seeing that Chicago is a main hub for Midwest transplants who attended Big 10 schools and whose social life as 20-somethings was shaped by the college experience which they want to continue, it's a perfect fit. It's a yuppie/frat boy/Lakeview/Lincoln Park mecca.

I don't mind Cubs games that much but I can tell you that you never go now where it's not sold out, and that gets annoying, especially if you're in the bleachers. Sometimes it's nice to have a big crowd, but when you have a small park like that jammed to capacity, it sucks.

Cub fans always tout their loyalty but I think a good chunk of them are default fans: hey, it's Chicago, I'm a Cub fan! The Cubs experience is much more than baseball--it's a whole sort of sports Disneyland idea. Being a Sox fan means not going with the default team, knowing a bit more about the team, perhaps being an AL fan and somebody (like me) willing to travel a bit (1/2 hour vs. I can walk to Wrigley).

I also think two years ago at Soxfest was telling: the fans laid into KW because we don't accept mediocrity; Cubs fans have for years, and then when the Cubs commit the biggest choke in Chicago sports history, they blame it on the Bart Man, LOL. Last year nobody wanted to blame that crybaby team for doing themselves in, or going after their broadcast team.

Whatever. I consider myself hardcore (18 games last year including one at Wrigley and one at Detroit, watched probably 50 on TV) but I don't drink the Koolaid, so to speak. Plus, I live in the heart of Cubland and while it's certainly a lonely existence, on the other hand other Sox fans will come right up to you, because we're strangers in a strange land.