PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling and game times

batmanZoSo
04-05-2005, 05:28 PM
After last night, I could really use a baseball game to keep my mind off you know what. Right now, we're being absolutely blessed with this weather and there's not even a freakin game today. What is the deal with that off day after opening day garbage?

I know they schedule a lot of April games for 1pm because they expect it to be cold, but really how cold can it get? I think either way, you're better off with a night game because there just aren't enough people willing to miss work for a day game unless it's a big one. Maybe for April they should try 5 or 6 pm starts, that way you still get a few hours of the warm sun and you simply have a lot more fans able to go because they're off work.

ewokpelts
04-05-2005, 05:37 PM
After last night, I could really use a baseball game to keep my mind off you know what. Right now, we're being absolutely blessed with this weather and there's not even a freakin game today. What is the deal with that off day after opening day garbage?

I know they schedule a lot of April games for 1pm because they expect it to be cold, but really how cold can it get? I think either way, you're better off with a night game because there just aren't enough people willing to miss work for a day game unless it's a big one. Maybe for April they should try 5 or 6 pm starts, that way you still get a few hours of the warm sun and you simply have a lot more fans able to go because they're off work.email brooks....see if they are willing to try it next year(doubt it this year)
Gene

batmanZoSo
04-05-2005, 05:40 PM
email brooks....see if they are willing to try it next year(doubt it this year)
Gene

He's done enough for us here. Seriously, if I email him, I'm not posting it. :cool:

ChiSox7
04-05-2005, 05:46 PM
There is a day off after the opening day, because they are leaving open a perfect slot to play if opening day gets rained out. Then all the people with tickets can still have those tickets for opening day and it will only be a day later.

The day off is just to make sure everybody gets that opening day in.

GiveMeSox
04-05-2005, 05:49 PM
There is a day off after the opening day, because they are leaving open a perfect slot to play if opening day gets rained out. Then all the people with tickets can still have those tickets for opening day and it will only be a day later.

The day off is just to make sure everybody gets that opening day in.

I was jsut about to say that. Its obvious in a place like chicago that the weather in the beginning of april is very hit or miss. That being said the extra day in between is a saftey day becuase histroy has proven that there a lot of crappy days at the beginning of april.

batmanZoSo
04-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Rubbish. What about a double header the next day? Can you imagine that on a day like this? :gulp:

ewokpelts
04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
He's done enough for us here. Seriously, if I email him, I'm not posting it. :cool:
well...that's his JOB......you have a concern, email the marketing guy, especially since he's inviting fans(customers) to email him with suggestions/ect...
Gene

FightingBillini
04-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Rubbish. What about a double header the next day? Can you imagine that on a day like this? :gulp:

I PRAY that there will be a doubleheader on a thursday this year. There was one last year, but I was at school and had a test on that day. As you all know, thursday is $1 hot dog day. 6 hours of baseball and $15 worth of hotdogs makes Billini a happy boy.:D:

SABRSox
04-05-2005, 07:02 PM
well...that's his JOB......you have a concern, email the marketing guy, especially since he's inviting fans(customers) to email him with suggestions/ect...
Gene

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the MLB schedules generated by an out-of-house entity, of which MLB takes bids from multiple such entities, and then chooses which schedule they feel is best? If that's the case, Brooks would have nothing to do with scheduling, and e-mailing him would be pointless.

ewokpelts
04-05-2005, 07:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the MLB schedules generated by an out-of-house entity, of which MLB takes bids from multiple such entities, and then chooses which schedule they feel is best? If that's the case, Brooks would have nothing to do with scheduling, and e-mailing him would be pointless.
the team's have input as to game times. Also, the sox have historrically requested thier home openers later in april, so as to avoid nasty weather.
Gene

batmanZoSo
04-05-2005, 07:35 PM

I think you're right, but I also believe the teams have their requests in the matter as well. Why else would the cubs play their day games at 1:20 while we play ours at 1:05 and the Reds at 12:35? Also some teams play night games at 6 or 630. I think 7:05 is the best for the Sox because it's a good two hours after the work day and we need as many people able to get to the park as possible. To be honest, I'd be happy if we never played a day game at least not during the week. There is something nice about a sunday game during the day.

Kogs35
04-05-2005, 07:40 PM
I think you're right, but I also believe the teams have their requests in the matter as well. Why else would the cubs play their day games at 1:20 while we play ours at 1:05 and the Reds at 12:35? Also some teams play night games at 6 or 630. I think 7:05 is the best for the Sox because it's a good two hours after the work day and we need as many people able to get to the park as possible. To be honest, I'd be happy if we never played a day game at least not during the week. There is something nice about a sunday game during the day.

part of the 1:05 midweek games r because of get away day.

voodoochile
04-05-2005, 07:42 PM

Well, since OD is the only game of the year that is practically a guaranteed sellout for evey club, the owners don't like to risk having to make up that many freebies for a DH. Purely mercenary...

kevingrt
04-05-2005, 08:14 PM
They just don't get great attendence on the Southside for weekday afternoon games minus Opening Day and it is very understandable for working class families. But it is also sad because I know a ton of people that would go down to the ballpark in a second if they did not have work obligations. I really don't know how you get around this unless have night games in April and risk people freezing their arses off. I'd do it though!

Frank the Tank
04-05-2005, 10:57 PM
I agree with doing away with the afternoon April games. I think more sox fans would rather brave the cold than miss work. Further, a cold April night is not much different than a cold April afternoon.

jdm2662
04-05-2005, 11:02 PM
In 2003, I went to the second game of the season. It was a Saturday 1:05, and the game time temperature was announced at 32 degrees. There was no way it was that warm out. April and May can be really crappy months. i'm off tommorrow, but it's susposed to storm. Then again, everyone else I know is working...
________
Brunette Movie (http://www.****tube.com/categories/15/brunette/videos/1)

Daver
04-05-2005, 11:07 PM

Start times for day games following night games are clearly dealt with in the CBA, and are tied to travel days and to where the team is taveling to. Exceptions have been made in the past to the Rangers and the Astros to play all their games at home as night games during JUly and August, but that was done in the best interest of the players, not the owners.

cwsox
04-05-2005, 11:13 PM
but really how cold can it get?

have you been to an opening day the last few years?

how cold can it be????????????????????????

And a 5 pm start would suck. You'd have everyone going to the park at rush hour. And considering the distance I have to go, I don't need to get out of a game at 8pm to stary my trek home ona work night.

Granted because of *the cold and rain* in 2003 we didn't play until 5:30 but that was the exception -

the 2 pm start works perfectly for me and perhaps 40,000 other people who always how up.

batmanZoSo
04-05-2005, 11:52 PM
have you been to an opening day the last few years?

how cold can it be????????????????????????

And a 5 pm start would suck. You'd have everyone going to the park at rush hour. And considering the distance I have to go, I don't need to get out of a game at 8pm to stary my trek home ona work night.

Granted because of *the cold and rain* in 2003 we didn't play until 5:30 but that was the exception -

the 2 pm start works perfectly for me and perhaps 40,000 other people who always how up.

I don't get baseball fans. The same people who'll flock to Soldier field 60,000 at a time and sit through 15 degree weather will bitch and moan about 45 degrees at a ballgame. :rolleyes:

ewokpelts
04-06-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't get baseball fans. The same people who'll flock to Soldier field 60,000 at a time and sit through 15 degree weather will bitch and moan about 45 degrees at a ballgame. :rolleyes:
cuz it's bear weather!

Max Power
04-06-2005, 02:11 PM
In 2003, I went to the second game of the season. It was a Saturday 1:05, and the game time temperature was announced at 32 degrees. There was no way it was that warm out. April and May can be really crappy months. i'm off tommorrow, but it's susposed to storm. Then again, everyone else I know is working...

I was at that game too. I believe it's the coldest game in New Comiskey history. Thankfully Buerhrle pitched and got us out in less than 2 hours.
Anyway, April and May games are always going to be a problem in Chicago. If they're during the day then people have to work, if they're at night then it's probably going to be freezing. Thus, attendance is weak for weekday games. I wonder what kinds of crowds the Indians, Tigers, Phillies, Mets and even the Yankees get for weekday games early in the season?
The crowds will be there during the summer. I went to a bunch of Saturday night games last season, bought my tickets day of the game and was always sitting far down the line in the upper deck. Clearly no one goes to Sox games.

batmanZoSo
04-06-2005, 05:58 PM
I was at that game too. I believe it's the coldest game in New Comiskey history. Thankfully Buerhrle pitched and got us out in less than 2 hours.
Anyway, April and May games are always going to be a problem in Chicago. If they're during the day then people have to work, if they're at night then it's probably going to be freezing. Thus, attendance is weak for weekday games. I wonder what kinds of crowds the Indians, Tigers, Phillies, Mets and even the Yankees get for weekday games early in the season?
The crowds will be there during the summer. I went to a bunch of Saturday night games last season, bought my tickets day of the game and was always sitting far down the line in the upper deck. Clearly no one goes to Sox games.

I always went to Monday night games last year and a few Sundays and every time we were close to capacity. 33,000 at least. The only game that wasn't was an April one against Tampa Bay during the day. I saw the Twins for 6 dollars last year and had to sit just where you did. It was great though, because it was the part where the UD curves to face the infield. Those were much better than something 5 sections over toward the plate. Closer is not always better. Sightlines are everything.