PDA

View Full Version : Twinkies closing up shop...

Randar68
11-02-2001, 11:25 AM
Well, yet more damning evidence...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/1102/1272379.html

The last paragraph is particularly interesting...

voodoochile
11-02-2001, 11:35 AM
This is going to be a long, long winter and stike/lockout, IMO. If they contract the teams with buyers waiting in the wings, then the federal government will take a look at their anti-trust exemption, IMO. Still think it is mostly a ploy to get a better negotiation from the players, but now I could see something like this happening:

MLB buys the Twins and makes noises like they are disbanding it. Players scream: "We'll take a salary cap, just don't eliminate jobs". Owners turn around and sell team to someone from Charlotte or Memphis and the team is sold and moved. If not, maybe the Sox can acquire a CF and/or veteran starter via consolidation draft or trade...

Wouldn't Radke look just GREAT in black pinstripes next spring?

WinningUgly!
11-02-2001, 11:51 AM
What happens if Montreal & Minnesota both fold. Do Bud's Brewers come back to the AL?

Randar68
11-02-2001, 12:42 PM
What happens if Montreal & Minnesota both fold. Do Bud's Brewers come back to the AL?

Arizona goes to the AL West and Texas goes back to the AL Central. 14 teams in each league...NL would have to have prolly Pittsburg go to the East to balance it out...

Arizona is the only team that could possibly change leagues, IMO.

This matter has several things going for it, and if the owners are serious about it any time in the near future, then they have to act now, and swiftly.

Many of the contingencies that will allow it to happen will expire after this offseason or after the next CBA is in place.

One thing I don't understand is:
MLB can't contract, but they can expand without asking anyone or anyone complaining??? hmmmmm, odd...

Soxheads
11-02-2001, 01:16 PM
So something like this:

AL East:
Same

Central:
+Texas
-Twins

West:
+D-Backs
-Texas

NL East:
+Bucs
-Expos

Central:
-Bucs

West:
-D-Backs

Did I get that right?

GASHWOUND
11-02-2001, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Well, yet more damning evidence...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/1102/1272379.html

Deserves them right. That's their punishment for kicking our asses this year. Take that Twinkies! Who's got the last laugh now?:)
Its just strange that they have won a World Series in the last 10 years and we don't have one since '17 and their going out of business. I would've thought that Montreal would be the first team to be shutdown? I think they are in more dire staits than the Twinkies.
Now all we need is the Flubs to shut down operations and everything will be just fine. :)

WinningUgly!
11-02-2001, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
So something like this:

AL East:
Same

Central:
+Texas
-Twins

West:
+D-Backs
-Texas

NL East:
+Bucs
-Expos

Central:
-Bucs

West:
-D-Backs

Did I get that right?

I see. Texas back in our divison. Is it just me or does it seem like we play the Rangers every other week anyway?

Soxheads
11-02-2001, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

I see. Texas back in our divison. Is it just me or does it seem like we play the Rangers every other week anyway?

Now we will play them every week.

fuzzy_patters
11-02-2001, 01:34 PM
Am I the only one concerned about having two teams constructed by John Hart in our division?

Randar68
11-02-2001, 01:36 PM
Am I the only one concerned about having two teams constructed by John Hart in our division?

Why worry??? By the time Texas is able to get any pitching, everyone but A-Rod will be gone!

fuzzy_patters
11-02-2001, 01:42 PM
The problem is that Hart won't worry about starting pitching. He'll get some cheap over the hill guys who can go six like he did with Cleveland. Then, he'll back them up with a great bullpen and offense. Texas already has part of the equation so it's the bullpen he'll work on next. This is why Hart's teams don't win the Series, no starting pitchers, but it is also what makes them a bitch over 162.

ma-gaga
11-02-2001, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Notice how ESPN doesn't actually put the poll question into the article, but they put the margin of error in.

That is crap. I think the actual poll is something like: Due to the threat of contraction does it make you more or less likely to support public funding for the Twins Baseball stadium.

They spun the poll results. That pisses me off. I'll find the actual poll question.

ma-gaga
11-02-2001, 04:04 PM
Here's the actual poll. Make yer own choice...

espn spins round round baby right round (http://news.mpr.org/features/200111/01_scheckt_baseballpoll/poll.shtml)

MarqSox
11-02-2001, 08:25 PM
Sounds to me like they really don't care, which makes it awfully hard to feel bad about it. I mean, Minneapolis is a horrible sports town -- to think how huge hockey is in that state, yet they still managed to lose an NHL team to DALLAS of all places ... I don't know how the Wild is selling, but I think baseball is better off getting out of Minnesota.