PDA

View Full Version : Sox Defense

MeanFish
04-05-2005, 12:03 PM
I wasn't there yesterday so I couldn't tell, but how much of a role did our defense have in Burlymon's success yesterday?

chaz171
04-05-2005, 12:04 PM
12 grounders, no errors,,, that's a start

34 Inch Stick
04-05-2005, 12:06 PM
The infield defense played well and the outfield was a non factor. They turned 2 double plays, one at a critical time and Gload made a nice stop in the 9th.

A pitcher always needs help but Buhrle really had it going yesterday.

MeanFish
04-05-2005, 12:06 PM
12 grounders, no errors,,, that's a start

Well, it's not always that cut and dried. I mean, I know about Gload's game-ending heroics, but were there catches being made that wouldn't have last year? Were shallow popups being caught that would have landed before? Stuff like that.

I'm just trying to see if ALL of our pitchers are going to benefit and if that's the case, that's awesome :cool:

chaz171
04-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Well, it's not always that cut and dried. I mean, I know about Gload's game-ending heroics, but were there catches being made that wouldn't have last year? Were shallow popups being caught that would have landed before? Stuff like that.

I'm just trying to see if ALL of our pitchers are going to benefit and if that's the case, that's awesome :cool:

I understand but in the last five years, no errors is a cut and dried accomplishment!!!!!!!!

Palehose13
04-05-2005, 12:18 PM
I understand but in the last five years, no errors is a cut and dried accomplishment!!!!!!!!

Shingo's second out was to shallow CF and may have dropped without hustle, but I think Aaron would have caught it last year too. Other than that, there wasn't much hit to the OF.

Did anyone else notice how quick Dye gets under a ball? It seems as though once the ball is hit in his direction he busts his butt to the spot and is standing there for awhile. Nice to see and he will probably avoid many of those close sliding catches (ala C. Lee) because of it.

mike squires
04-05-2005, 12:42 PM
The infield defense played well and the outfield was a non factor. They turned 2 double plays, one at a critical time and Gload made a nice stop in the 9th.

A pitcher always needs help but Buhrle really had it going yesterday.

I wonder if Gload could be the next Mike Squires. Late inning defensive replacement with more pop in his bat. While watching the game at the Champaign get together everyone kind of groaned and a few boos when they showed that he was in for Konerko.

Palehose13
04-05-2005, 01:10 PM
I wonder if Gload could be the next Mike Squires. Late inning defensive replacement with more pop in his bat. While watching the game at the Champaign get together everyone kind of groaned and a few boos when they showed that he was in for Konerko.

Those that groaned about Gload obviously don't know much about him. He may be awful in the OF, but he is much better than Konerko at 1B. He's also no slouch at the plate. Gload and Timo are great guys to have on the bench as late inning replacements.

NonetheLoaiza
04-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Putting Gload in made complete sense, so I don't know why anyone would groan over that move. It was a baseball move, pure and simple.

wdelaney72
04-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Ozzie made 2 very important, solid calls yesterday.
1) Pulling MB in the 9th inning
2) Putting Gload in at 1B as a defensive stopper.

Anyone groaning at putting Gload in for a defensive upgrade is an idiot.

Palehose13
04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Ozzie made 2 very important, solid calls yesterday.
1) Pulling MB in the 9th inning
2) Putting Gload in at 1B as a defensive stopper.

:cheers:

34 Inch Stick
04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
He also made one bad non call that I haven't seen discussed here. After Konerko doubled in the 7th, I do not know why Harris was not put in to pinch run. It was apparent that 1 or 2 runs was going to win that game. If Konerko came up again the Sox would most likely have had their 1 or 2 runs. Paulie had already robbed Rowand of an infield single when he was forced out at second on a ball just about anyone in the league would have beaten out. If Perralta did not commit an error Konerko would have been dead at home. The same cannot be said for Harris.

If Ozzie wants to play "Ozzieball" he is going to have to realize that the margin for error is slim every single day.

Palehose13
04-05-2005, 02:45 PM
He also made one bad non call that I haven't seen discussed here. After Konerko doubled in the 7th, I do not know why Harris was not put in to pinch run. It was apparent that 1 or 2 runs was going to win that game. If Konerko came up again the Sox would most likely have had their 1 or 2 runs. Paulie had already robbed Rowand of an infield single when he was forced out at second on a ball just about anyone in the league would have beaten out. If Perralta did not commit an error Konerko would have been dead at home. The same cannot be said for Harris.

If Ozzie wants to play "Ozzieball" he is going to have to realize that the margin for error is slim every single day.

IMO, he made the right move there. At that point there were no outs, meaning that there was a good chance PK would be at bat in the ninth. I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to get rid of PK in the seventh when there is a good chacne that he would be AB in the ninth. However, I think if there had been one or two outs in the 7th we would have seen Wee Willie pinch running.

Iwritecode
04-05-2005, 02:46 PM

How many times does a manager put in a pinch-runner when a guy is standing on third?

The booted grounder was probably about the last thing they expected to happen. More than likely, they were hoping somebody could at least get another sac fly like Dye did...

Iwritecode
04-05-2005, 02:48 PM
IMO, he made the right move there. At that point there were no outs, meaning that there was a good chance PK would be at bat in the ninth. I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to get rid of PK in the seventh when there is a good chacne that he would be AB in the ninth. However, I think if there had been one or two outs in the 7th we would have seen Wee Willie pinch running.

Actually, there was one out because Konerko was sacrificed to third by dye. :wink:

Palehose13
04-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Actually, there was one out because Konerko was sacrificed to third by dye. :wink:

This is what he wrote:
He also made one bad non call that I haven't seen discussed here. After Konerko doubled in the 7th, I do not know why Harris was not put in to pinch run.

At that point in time, there was no outs. :wink:

Iwritecode
04-05-2005, 03:18 PM
This is what he wrote:

At that point in time, there was no outs. :wink:

"I see" said the blind man. :redface:

Anyway, I agree that Ozzie made the right call. :D:

jenmcm76
04-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Did anyone else notice how quick Dye gets under a ball? It seems as though once the ball is hit in his direction he busts his butt to the spot and is standing there for awhile. Nice to see and he will probably avoid many of those close sliding catches (ala C. Lee) because of it.

Yeah, Dye could have set up shop under some of those fly balls, especially those 2 in the 8th. Earlier in the game, I noticed that between batters (and sometimes pitches, if there was a long foul ball or other short delay), Dye would occasionally pull up a few blades of grass and toss them up to check the wind speed/direction. Then, his attention would go RIGHT back to the batter. He sure gave me a good first impression in a Sox uniform - he seemed REALLY focused on the batter, and on picking up any clues as to where the ball might be hit. :thumbsup:

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 03:29 PM
IMO, he made the right move there. At that point there were no outs, meaning that there was a good chance PK would be at bat in the ninth. I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to get rid of PK in the seventh when there is a good chacne that he would be AB in the ninth. However, I think if there had been one or two outs in the 7th we would have seen Wee Willie pinch running.I don't know if I would say Ozzie made a bad call, but I would have put in the pinch runner with PK standing on second. A single would almost surely score a run with a decent runner on second, but with PK, it would have been iffy and you might need two singles or an extra base hit or worse yet, have him thrown out trying to score. Gload's not a bad hitter if that spot does come up again in the 9th.

ChiSoxRowand
04-05-2005, 03:45 PM

yes, unless he is going into right.

I want Mags back
04-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Can we have Crede DHed for. I like his glove, but he cant hit for (crap)

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Can we have Crede DHed for. I like his glove, but he cant hit for (crap)I agree. We should get rid of everybody who didn't get a hit yesterday. One game is more than enough time to show what they can do.

shoota
04-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Can we have Crede DHed for. I like his glove, but he cant hit for (crap)

I agree. We should get rid of everybody who didn't get a hit yesterday. One game is more than enough time to show what they can do.

I don't think his opinion was based on one baseball game, and I don't think you thought that either.

shoota
04-05-2005, 06:03 PM

That is the explanation Ozzie gave post game.

CWSGuy406
04-05-2005, 06:31 PM
I don't think his opinion was based on one baseball game, and I don't think you thought that either.

Still, though, Crede's our worst hitter, and he'll still hit at least .240 or in that area (if he goes lower, OTOH...). That's not all that bad, when your worst hitter will still hit .240 and hit 15-25 homers...

MeanFish
04-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Still, though, Crede's our worst hitter, and he'll still hit at least .240 or in that area (if he goes lower, OTOH...). That's not all that bad, when your worst hitter will still hit .240 and hit 15-25 homers...

Just think, last year it was Crede, Valentin AND Davis/Burke/Alomar. Now it's just Crede. That's a huge improvement. And we're not even counting the half-season void in RF.

PAPChiSox729
04-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Crede isn't that big a problem. .245 and 20 HRs from your worst hitter isn't a problem unless your team is having trouble scoring runs. And, hopefully, the lineup won't count on the no. 8 hitter to produce in order for the team to score. Sure an upgrade at 3B would be nice, but I am glad that KW instead found a catcher and another starter to help this team win.

shoota
04-05-2005, 07:43 PM

It'd be easier to live with a defensive wizard, 8-hole-hitting team player, but I don't think Crede fits into the team concept. I think he is selfish and the reason his swing got long was because he was trying to mash no matter the game situation. Could he have changed for 2005 and become a team pleayer? Yes, but I will wait for him to show me that instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt.

And it's not like his 2004 .239 batting average is an accurate estimation of his hitting. He hit much lower than that in four different months. He TANKED entire months!

He's not a defensive wizard. He can handle the stuff hit right at him, but he's not athletic enough to make the plays Gold Glovers make. I'm sick of hearing about his non-existant spectacular defense.

It'd be a lot easier to live with a .240 hitting, unselfish situational hitter as opposed to the selfish, swing-for-the-fences-no-matter-what, GIDP, .240 hitting Crede we have now.

MeanFish
04-05-2005, 07:50 PM
It'd be easier to live with a defensive wizard, 8-hole-hitting team player, but I don't think Crede fits into the team concept. I think he is selfish and the reason his swing got long was because he was trying to mash no matter the game situation. Could he have changed for 2005 and become a team pleayer? Yes, but I will wait for him to show me that instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt.

And it's not like his 2004 .239 batting average is an accurate estimation of his hitting. He hit much lower than that in four different months. He TANKED entire months!

He's not a defensive wizard. He can handle the stuff hit right at him, but he's not athletic enough to make the plays Gold Glovers make. I'm sick of hearing about his non-existant spectacular defense.

It'd be a lot easier to live with a .240 hitting, unselfish situational hitter as opposed to the selfish, swing-for-the-fences-no-matter-what, GIDP, .240 hitting Crede we have now.

Did you watch the Yanks/BoSox the other night? How did you like the bagillion hits that the Yanks sent down the left field line? Crede may not appear to be a spectacular fielder, but it's hits like those that just don't seem to happen against our team very often. He's a VERY good third-basemen, which is accented by the fact that he makes it look easy. Easy never looks spectacular.

shoota
04-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Did you watch the Yanks/BoSox the other night? How did you like the bagillion hits that the Yanks sent down the left field line? Crede may not appear to be a spectacular fielder, but it's hits like those that just don't seem to happen against our team very often. He's a VERY good third-basemen, which is accented by the fact that he makes it look easy. Easy never looks spectacular.

I didn't see the game, though I wish the other Sox had Crede. :D: