PDA

View Full Version : I hope Kim's mentally "OK"

Paulwny
11-02-2001, 10:13 AM
Philadelphia reliever Mitch Williams was supposed to have the closer's mentality down perfect. He even had a nickname that reflected it -- "Wild Thing." But after giving up a walkoff home run in Game 6 in the 1993 World Series to Toronto's Joe Carter, he was never the same again. Williams was gone from baseball soon after.

And there's the tragic story of Donnie Moore. He saved 31 games for California in 1985 and was one strike from clinching the American League pennant the next season when Dave Henderson hit a momentum-changing homer. Moore had only nine more saves in the majors after that. Three years later, with family and career crumbling and still despondent over Henderson's homer, Moore committed suicide.

Soxheads
11-02-2001, 10:22 AM
I'd be watching out for howry.

Pete Ward
11-02-2001, 10:51 AM
Donnie Moore .... Calf Angels vs. Boston Red Sox

Dave Henderson takes him deep

Some point to this as the reason he took his own lfe. Very Sad.

Spiff
11-02-2001, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Philadelphia reliever Mitch Williams was supposed to have the closer's mentality down perfect. He even had a nickname that reflected it -- "Wild Thing." But after giving up a walkoff home run in Game 6 in the 1993 World Series to Toronto's Joe Carter, he was never the same again. Williams was gone from baseball soon after.

And there's the tragic story of Donnie Moore. He saved 31 games for California in 1985 and was one strike from clinching the American League pennant the next season when Dave Henderson hit a momentum-changing homer. Moore had only nine more saves in the majors after that. Three years later, with family and career crumbling and still despondent over Henderson's homer, Moore committed suicide.

I fell asleep last night when the D-Backs were winning (2nd night in a row that has happened) and when I woke up I turned on ESPNEWS and saw the highlights and I couldn't believe it. But yeah one of the first things I thought of was Donnie Moore and how the Henderson homerun was the beginning of the end.

Hopefully Kim doesn't lose his confidence and if the D-Backs wind up winning the series that would be a major boost.

GASHWOUND
11-02-2001, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

I fell asleep last night when the D-Backs were winning (2nd night in a row that has happened) and when I woke up I turned on ESPNEWS and saw the highlights and I couldn't believe it. But yeah one of the first things I thought of was Donnie Moore and how the Henderson homerun was the beginning of the end.

Hopefully Kim doesn't lose his confidence and if the D-Backs wind up winning the series that would be a major boost.

Unfortunately, I saw it live. I almost killed myself, imagine how he feels. It looked like Kim was about to break down and cry, which is exactly what I did.
Poor guy. The D-Backs better win the final two games or the whole team will be on suicide watch.