PDA

View Full Version : White Sox organization make Opening Day great

OzzieBall
04-05-2005, 09:17 AM
I posted this on the end of the post-game thread, but I felt it deserved its own thread.

My aunt just finished six rounds of chemo on friday. As a celebration, my family and her friends took her to opening day. A friend who works with the team helped us get tickets three rows behind the Sox dugout, the best seats I have ever sat in ever.

With the sun in our eyes and my aunt feeling very good for a monday after a treatment, we just had a great time. A member of the sox marketing staff brought the eight of us White Sox T-shirts and had a message flash on the board that said:

Cindy G: Congrats. You are done. Sox wish you a happy and healthy 2005.

Pretty sweet of the Sox.

Finally, when the Indians threatened in the top of the seventh and Burly-man was able to get out of it with a 5-4-3 Double play, I had the coolest thing happen. I was cheering like mad, yelling and Paulie and Mark, when Paulie flipped the ball over the crowd, right into my hands. I am now the proud owner of a game-played 2005 Opening day baseball.

What a great way to start the season.

:smile: :) :smile:

fledgedrallycap
04-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Cindy G: Congrats. You are done. Sox wish you a happy and healthy 2005.

Great story, and couldn't agree more!

rdwj
04-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Wow, that's a great story!!

Seems like it should be in the paper or something :smile:

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 10:21 AM

Seems like it should be in the paper or something :smile:You'd be surprised at the number of times they do things like that and it never gets publicized.

NonetheLoaiza
04-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Good story Ozz...and best of luck to you and best wishes to your family in '05...

gosox41
04-05-2005, 01:17 PM
You'd be surprised at the number of times they do things like that and it never gets publicized.

But I thought Sox management was evil and greedy.

I have heard stories similar to this before but the Sox choose not to advertise it.

Bob

Realist
04-05-2005, 01:29 PM
In the final summer of our mom's life my brother and I took her and her gentleman friend to a game and were given similar treatment. The following summer I made a point of seeking out the great Sox security guy that helped make that such a special day for my family and telling him how much we appreciated what they did for us.

As much as we bitch and moan about Uncle Jerry, he has to be given some credit here. This sort of consistant special fan treatment starts from the top down.

Hangar18
04-05-2005, 01:56 PM
In the final summer of our mom's life my brother and I took her and her gentleman friend to a game and were given similar treatment. The following summer I made a point of seeking out the great Sox security guy that helped make that such a special day for my family and telling him how much we appreciated what they did for us.

As much as we bitch and moan about Uncle Jerry, he has to be given some credit here. This sort of consistant special fan treatment starts from the top down.

Good point .........

maurice
04-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Nice work, White Sox!

You'd be surprised at the number of times they do things like that and it never gets publicized.

Right. Apparently everybody is too busy complaining about what happens when you show up for a sold-out game in a car ten minutes before the first pitch.

jabrch
04-05-2005, 04:04 PM
That's great to hear that the organization does things like this for its fans. I know it happens all the time either through the team directly, or the many charities they support. They deserve respect/kudos for things like this.

Quick - someone e-mail Brooks!

jenmcm76
04-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Right. Apparently everybody is too busy complaining about what happens when you show up for a sold-out game in a car ten minutes before the first pitch.

Who showed up at 1:55 and then complained about parking? All the posts I've seen were from people who showed up more like 1:00 or earlier. I personally was peeved not by the full lots, but by the fruitless hour-long runaround we got instead.

I want Mags back
04-05-2005, 04:45 PM

Seems like it should be in the paper or something :smile:

why would it be in the paper, it's not about the cubs

That is a great story, it shows how great this team can be

Lip Man 1
04-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Bob:

The problem is that for every good deed done by the organization they pull off bigger blunders that overshadow the good things. You know the list. It's long and voluminous, I don't have to repeat it to you.

Lip

kevingrt
04-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Bob:

The problem is that for every good deed done by the organization they pull off bigger blunders that overshadow the good things. You know the list. It's long and voluminous, I don't have to repeat it to you.

Lip

Expect the organization is not always to fault for these happenings. The Sox are a great organization and put on great promotions and fan services. Just win a fricking World Series and we'd LOVE ya!

CHISOXFAN13
04-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Bob:

Lip

What exactly is the point of bringing up stuff like that in a thread about a true feel-good story?

Let it go for a little while.

OzzieBall
04-05-2005, 10:05 PM
What exactly is the point of bringing up stuff like that in a thread about a true feel-good story?

Let it go for a little while.

Right on. Get that negative crap out of here. I had a great day with my family where we didnt talk about all that happened in the past but rather what lies ahead.

Thanks everyone for your comments. No matter what happens with the season, Opening day was unforgettable.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2005, 11:45 PM
ChiSox:

The post was in reply to Bob's sarcastic remark about the organization being 'evil and greedy,' and the inference that those of us who think they are not a good organization are wrong. In fact for every good thing they do they seem to do two or three disasterous ones. According to Bob hiring Kenny Williams for example was a bad move...

My comments had nothing to do with Ozzie's story but were specifically directed to Bob.

Lip

TaylorStSox
04-05-2005, 11:50 PM
ChiSox:

The post was in reply to Bob's sarcastic remark about the organization being 'evil and greedy,' and the inference that those of us who think they are not a good organization are wrong. In fact for every good thing they do they seem to do two or three disasterous ones. According to Bob hiring Kenny Williams for example was a bad move...

My comments had nothing to do with Ozzie's story but were specifically directed to Bob.

Lip

It's in poor taste Lip.

Great story Ozzie!!! Good luck to you and your family. :)

SpammySosa
04-05-2005, 11:53 PM

If your main intention was to convey a message to Bob and not detract from the story,then perhaps a PM would have done the trick? Your post didn't offend me; like most people,I just chalked it up to your tendency to see the dark cloud and not the silver lining.:wink:

Lip Man 1
04-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Taylor:

Why? Did I say anything or infer anything about Ozzie's family situation? No.. on both counts. The Sox did a very nice thing... great.....ironic it was on the same day Uncle Jerry was making an ass of himself on the radio. Which proves the point I was making to Bob doesn't it?

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Spammy:

The problem with the PM to Bob is that he posted a comment for all to see, I felt I should rebut it in the same capacity.

Lip

hsnterprize
04-06-2005, 01:43 AM

As much as we bitch and moan about Uncle Jerry, he has to be given some credit here. This sort of consistant special fan treatment starts from the top down.Inside the main media entrance behind home plate, there are 2 folders on tables where people wait for staff to attend to them. In those folders are dozens and dozens of "Thank You" and "Great Job" letter written by everyone from school teachers, kids, dignitaries (including Lt. Governor Pat Quinn), and others thanking Jerry Reinsdorf and the White Sox for treating them so good while visiting the park. One letter that touched me a lot was written by a soldier whose unit was about to deploy to Iraq. They were given tickets to go to a game to relax from all the stress of the deployment. The Sox treated everyone in that unit really good, and whoever wrote the letter said a good time was had by all.

IMHO, the Sox ought to make some voice-over commercials with some excerpts of those letters. You'd be surprised how thoughtful and touching many of these letters are. Gives you a new sense of "Sox Pride".

And by the way, Lt. Governor Quinn says he is a Sox fan. That's great considering he has to counter the Cubbie-blue crap that comes from his boss.

jabrch
04-06-2005, 01:59 AM
Inside the main media entrance behind home plate, there are 2 folders on tables where people wait for staff to attend to them. In those folders are dozens and dozens of "Thank You" and "Great Job" letter written by everyone from school teachers, kids, dignitaries (including Lt. Governor Pat Quinn), and others thanking Jerry Reinsdorf and the White Sox for treating them so good while visiting the park.

When I was down there earlier this year, I had a chance to read those books. Despite the image that some would choose to portray ownership and management (both current and past) it is great to read about those who truly do appreciate the things that JR, KW, Gallas, Brooks and their staffs have done for this team's fans over time. They don't do these things for the glory of it. They do them because they want to.

I'm proud of what this team does for the city, for its community and for its fans. I'd be thrilled to some day see a WS also - but that's not the end-all for me. I love a great day at the park, a win or a loss, in April or October, for Hot Dogs or Churros. To me, the experiences I have at the park are much more important than sitting and gritting my teeth bitching about what hasn't happened or even what has happened bad throughout history - that's their choice.

Ozzie's story is another great story about Sox Pride. I'm glad most people see it as such.

gosox41
04-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Bob:

Lip

Depends on what you mean by bigger blunders. There's somthing (actually a lot of things) nice about the Sox going out of their way to help a family in need (or that's going through a difficult period) enjoy a day at the ball park.

To me that's a lot bigger then payroll issues or what JR said to Carmen and Silvy.

Bob

gosox41
04-06-2005, 09:52 AM
ChiSox:

Lip

Lip,

KW so far is a disaster, from the perspective of a sports fan.

But there are a lot more important and bigger issues that make whatever KW and JR do with the team not that big of a deal.

Bob