PDA

View Full Version : Rowand: "No selfish players on the Sox"

Baby Fisk
04-05-2005, 07:12 AM
...anymore. :cool:

linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol05.html)

"I like seeing home runs as much as everyone else,'' Konerko said. "But I'm enjoying this team because lots of guys are on the same wavelength as far as how they feel about their teammates. These guys play the game the right way.''

Rowand took the discussion a step further.

"We don't have anybody on this team that's selfish,'' he said. "We have one common goal, and that's to win. I can honestly say that about guys 1 through 25. Not one guy is worried about his stats. We're only worried about winning.''

Rowand didn't name names. He didn't have to. We know which players have been purged from the roster -- Lee, Ordonez, Jose Valentin ... guys who weren't necessarily into the team concept.

"It's common knowledge on this year's team that our goal is winning,'' Rowand said. "We had a great time [during spring training] on and off the field. My hat's off to [general manager] Kenny Williams for bringing these kind of guys in here.''

rdwj
04-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Wow... I like it! Now lets just hope they have the talent to do what they want to do - Win or die trying!!

voodoochile
04-05-2005, 08:28 AM
It was cool watching Dye drive the ball to RF after the leadoff double by Paulie. I mean any sac fly works there, but he clearly was trying to go the other way and he ended up nearly smacking one off the wall.

faneidde
04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
It was cool watching Dye drive the ball to RF after the leadoff double by Paulie. I mean any sac fly works there, but he clearly was trying to go the other way and he ended up nearly smacking one off the wall.
I agree. I was really impressed with Dye's approach at the plate and smoothness in the field. I hadn't seen him play much since his days with Braves and I think we might have found a gem.

NonetheLoaiza
04-05-2005, 11:53 AM

I agree...I practically got goosebumps when I saw him smack that ball opposite field. There's a difference in saying what you want to do and actually doing it, and I was really happy to see Dye take it the other way. (I realize it is only one game...but I felt good about seeing it.)

VivaOzzie
04-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Nah, I wouldve rather seen CLee hit a nice high popup just out of the infield. Followed promptly, of course, by a Valentin strikeout.

Seriously though, I love this team. Theyll all play the right way, none of that crap from last year. Manufacturing that run was SWEET! :gulp:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-05-2005, 06:12 PM
this all sounds good but let's see how unselfish they act on game 162.

batmanZoSo
04-05-2005, 06:14 PM

I just have a feeling about Dye. He's a gamer. I think if he stays healthy, he'll be one of the more fondly remembered Sox down the road.

mealfred13
04-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Nah, I wouldve rather seen CLee hit a nice high popup just out of the infield. Followed promptly, of course, by a Valentin strikeout.

Seriously though, I love this team. Theyll all play the right way, none of that crap from last year. Manufacturing that run was SWEET! :gulp:

Hahaha.....don't say things like that. It brings back scary memories. BTW, did anyone see Valentin's craptastic error at 3rd for the Dodgers today. Looks like he's in mid-season form already.

Whitesox029
04-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Not a bad article, but I disagree with the insinuation that Valentin was a selfish player. I was a fan of Jose's till the end of his run here, and he always gave 100%. His bat was failing, so I'm ok with his leaving, but he'll always be a White Sox in my mind.

batmanZoSo
04-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Williams on the offseason re-tooling of the lineup:

"Experiment?" Williams asked testily. "This is not an experiment. This is a necessity. We weren't getting it done the other way. It's as simple as that."

"The amount of home runs we created last year made for a misconception about what our offensive problems were," he said. "I am more worried about a consistent daily output than I am of being impressed on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and getting nothing the rest of the week.

"There's more diversity in the offense, and it's going to come from many different areas rather than the select few that you had in the middle of the lineup."

True, true words. Have patience with this lineup, I think they'll consistently get just enough runs to win. We might even see Winning Ugly part II with 2-1 games being won on a DP rbi. We even have a 70 steal guy at the top. :o:

doublem23
04-06-2005, 02:00 AM
I could see Carlos and maybe Magglio, but raggin' on Jose? The guy was pure hustle. Someone is going to need to step up and replace his heart. He was a gamer.

Fredsox
04-06-2005, 05:08 AM
I could see Carlos and maybe Magglio, but raggin' on Jose? The guy was pure hustle. Someone is going to need to step up and replace his heart. He was a gamer.

Yeah I'll go with this. Jose was a butcher in the field but he left it out there every day. He was a grinder, he just wasn't as good as we need. I wish him well in the rest of his career and I am confident that he will continue to be a PITA to the Cubs when the play the Dodgers.

spawn
04-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Rowand may not have been talking about Jose. The writer of the article is saying that, and I wholeheartedly disagree. I think Jose was all about team. Maggs, obviously, was more concerned with himself.

Jurr
04-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Did you read in the Southtown about Marte beaning Lee?? Apparently there was a great deal of tension between those two. It was eye-opening to read that article. Check it out...I'll try to find the link.

Jurr
04-06-2005, 08:18 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/061sd1.htm

Good stuff.

wdelaney72
04-06-2005, 08:27 AM

Good stuff.

This is really getting interesting. The fact that they are talking about it openly, yet leaving the names out leads me to believe Carlos was a tool.

Hats off to Marte for sending a message - at the right time and at the right place. Now I'd prefer he send a different message by finding the strike zone this year.

gosox41
04-06-2005, 08:31 AM

Good stuff.

Very interesting article. And to think that the media the last few years has painted Thomas as the most selfish Sox player when it's clearly not the case.

Bob

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 09:06 AM

Good stuff.Hold the phone, here. Notice who wrote the article. Take it with a grain of salt.

doublem23
04-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Rowand may not have been talking about Jose. The writer of the article is saying that, and I wholeheartedly disagree. I think Jose was all about team. Maggs, obviously, was more concerned with himself.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying, I can't fathom how anybody who's been watching this team over the last few years could bring themselves to dump on Jose's attitude. His production, that's fine and understandable, but his desire was always unquestionable.

WhiteSoxFan84
04-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Maybe I missed something but I never thought of Jose Valentin as being selfish. The guy was considered a team leader and now a newspaper article is calling him selfish? I don't agree with that at all. He may have been a horrible fielder and a horrible contact hitter but he wanted to win as much as the next guy. Lee and Ordonez on the other hand, I can see them being selfish.

mantis1212
04-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Maybe I missed something but I never thought of Jose Valentin as being selfish. The guy was considered a team leader and now a newspaper article is calling him selfish? I don't agree with that at all. He may have been a horrible fielder and a horrible contact hitter but he wanted to win as much as the next guy. Lee and Ordonez on the other hand, I can see them being selfish.

I think the Sun-Times is lumping all the HR hitters now gone together incorrectly. Jose seemed to be a leader and not selfish at all.

The Cowley article, however, seems to have some real inside info- the stuff about Marte being the butt of all of Carlos's jokes, not taking Roward positioning advice, etc. Who knows, Cowley could be taking some real liberties here. Not sure what to think...

Lip Man 1
04-06-2005, 12:32 PM
I don't think even Cowley would make this kind of stuff up. Either he saw it personally during the times when writers are allowed in the clubhouse, or someone on the team is telling him this.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't think even Cowley would make this kind of stuff up. Either he saw it personally during the times when writers are allowed in the clubhouse, or someone on the team is telling him this.

LipSo I have to believe one of the following is true:

1. Marte, who's been coached to pitch inside more, had one get away from him, or

2. Marte has a mortal grudge against Lee, all the other players hated him, and somehow, Cowley (who does have a reputation) is the only reporter who knows about this.

Let me see....

hawkjt
04-06-2005, 02:00 PM
This carping about players that just one year ago were being sold to the fan base (and I bought) as exciting productive players is just bad form. I liked Carlos and Maggs(silly me) cuz they were .300 hitters with power. Now we are being told that we were fools all along to support these guys who were farm products and we should fall in love with guys hitting .60 points lower with no power.

I think it is shooting yourself in the foot to trash guys that the fans have identified with for 6-8 years. Why not just shut up and play ball? If it works out better great, if not then they will look foolish criticizing productive players that went elsewhere while our team cannot score more than a run/game.