PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi's spot in lineup

GiveMeSox
04-05-2005, 02:17 AM
There is a lot of talk among sox fans and on the radio about where Iguchi should bat. While he probably is a solid #2 guy in essence it is my opinion and many others that he should not start out there. I think ozzie should let Iguchi adjust to real MLB pitching first. Let him bat 6,7, or 8 and learn a little, get his feet on the ground and take the pressure off him of batting #2 and being right behind pods. I think Ozzie should do this becuase we have 2 viable #2 hitters in rowand and uribe. Both proved to us last year that they can be good #2 hitters. While I would like to see Iguchi batting in the 2 hole at some point say by May, I think he should be moved down for now and let one of the other guys take over.

doublem23
04-05-2005, 06:41 AM
Agreed. Granted, I couldn't watch the whole game yesterday because of work, but I did see his first at bat and he looked pretty lost up there. I say let Rowand bat #2 until Iguchi gets some work in the MLB under his belt.

The Wimperoo
04-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Rowand needs to be batting 2nd or 3rd no matter what. He is probably the best overall hitter on the team, until Frank comes back.

soltrain21
04-05-2005, 07:43 AM
He hit a ball VERY hard in his third at bat, but Blake made a very nice play.

Give him a couple more cuts in the 2 hole, and adjust from there.

rdwj
04-05-2005, 07:51 AM
I've heard that Iguchi is a solid bunter and places the ball well. With a speedy Pods on base in front of him, Iguchi is the right guy if he lives up to his billing. I'm sure if he starts to look bad, Rowand will get a shot.

mikehuff
04-05-2005, 08:03 AM
I've heard that Iguchi is a solid bunter and places the ball well. With a speedy Pods on base in front of him, Iguchi is the right guy if he lives up to his billing. I'm sure if he starts to look bad, Rowand will get a shot.

I agree with you here. The bunting is huge in the #2 spot. We need somebody who is new to the team to bat #2 because nobody we had before could bunt. The first inning is the only inning that you are able to set the lineup up how you want it to score runs. It's meant to manufacture runs by going through that system of getting the fast guy on, getting him over with the second hitter that can put the ball in play and bringing him in with your best hitter who hits third. Then Konerko hits a bomb at cleanup. You want to try to get those runs right away.

SoxFanTillDeath
04-05-2005, 08:28 AM
I agree with you here. The bunting is huge in the #2 spot. We need somebody who is new to the team to bat #2 because nobody we had before could bunt. The first inning is the only inning that you are able to set the lineup up how you want it to score runs. It's meant to manufacture runs by going through that system of getting the fast guy on, getting him over with the second hitter that can put the ball in play and bringing him in with your best hitter who hits third. Then Konerko hits a bomb at cleanup. You want to try to get those runs right away.

Don't you wish this game was played on paper? We'd be talking about the Sox going for their 6th straight division title this year...

Ah, but now for the present. GO SOX!

GiveMeSox
04-05-2005, 01:33 PM

I totally agree with you. Seeing him in spring he is a great ball placer. Always hits behind the runner or makes sure he can advance a runner on an out. THat is a good thing for a #2 hitter. I think he is going to be a solid #2, but first i would like to see him get his confidence up and some hits under his belt. It would take a lot of pressure off him to have him bat lower down at least for the first few weeks. Then after that move him back to #2, thats what I would like to see.

Rocklive99
04-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Normally I'd say that it was just one game and to give it some time, but I agree with it in this case, just because he hasn't really proven anything, you can't go by spring numbers, and he has to adjust to real ML pitching (not the one he saw in the spring). Guys like Rowand or Uribe might be better in that spot

NonetheLoaiza
04-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I would like to see Iguchi get used to American pitching first, then be inserted into the #2 hole. However, Rowand isn't the best bunter in the world, and wouldn't you rather see him swing away? It's kind of a double edged sword, but he should be fine and get adjusted.

ChiSox7
04-05-2005, 01:39 PM
You have to give him a couple of weeks to show what he can do before you move him and possibly mess with his head. He is going to be a good solid hitter. Yesterday he faced a pretty impressive pitcher. We only had 4 hits from 3 players and 1 of them was a botched infield play (AJ).

Give him some time. He's a good #2 hitter.

CPditka
04-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Well I think the Gooch does need to be moved to the 9 spot, at least for a while. ARow is a solid 2/3 hitter, having him bat 6 is a sin. I would say the options are:

1) pods, uribe, arow slide everyone down except pk at 4, and gooch at 9
2) (my favorite) triple switch uribe, gooch, arow.

S Podsednik (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6489) Lf
A Rowand (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6742) CF
C Everett (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5073) DH
P Konerko (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5908) 1B
J Dye (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5610) RF
J Uribe (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6698) SS
A Pierzynski (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6109) C
J Crede (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6411) 3B
T Iguchi (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7510) 2B

Maybe even bat Uribe 8 to give some speed in front of Iguchi.

mikehuff
04-05-2005, 02:16 PM
I'd like to have Rowand at third behind Pods and Iguchi. Rowand is probably the best average hitter on the team and I think that's where he belongs. I'm sure he'll end up there later in the season. It would be nice to have 3 speedy guys up top in a row too. Everett belongs at maybe #5.

Maybe like this...

1. Podsednik
2. Iguchi
3. Rowand
4. Konerko
5. Everett
6. Dye
7. Pierzynski
8. Crede
9. Uribe

SOX ADDICT '73
04-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I would like to see Iguchi get used to American pitching first, then be inserted into the #2 hole. However, Rowand isn't the best bunter in the world, and wouldn't you rather see him swing away? It's kind of a double edged sword, but he should be fine and get adjusted.
This is a great point. The #2 hitter is often asked to give himself up in order to move the runner along. I doubt Rowand's numbers would look nearly as good if he'd hit in the two-spot all last year.

I'd rather see Rowand hit lower in the lineup, giving him a chance to drive in runs (provided Carl, PK, Dye, and AJ can keep their OBP respectable), and I like Juan hitting #9 to turn over the lineup (you're not going to want base-clogging Crede, assuming he manages to get on, getting in Podsednik's way). Plus, from what I've seen, and despite all the other things they do well, both Aaron and Juan are below-average bunters, which led to much frustration and many wasted opportunities last season.

wdelaney72
04-05-2005, 02:31 PM
At the 2 spot, Gooch has the potential to get an extra at bat each game. This will help in his transition.

I was nervous at first, but given the fact that he was able to hit the ball hard, I'm willing to give him a little time in the 2 hole.

Rowand in the 6 hole just makes the bottom of the lineup that much more effective.

mikehuff
04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Rowand in the 6 hole just makes the bottom of the lineup that much more effective.

That's a good point too. I was thinking about having the strength spread out like that and it does make the line up look good.

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 03:32 PM
I'd like to have Rowand at third behind Pods and Iguchi. Rowand is probably the best average hitter on the team and I think that's where he belongs. I'm sure he'll end up there later in the season. It would be nice to have 3 speedy guys up top in a row too. Everett belongs at maybe #5.

Maybe like this...

1. Podsednik
2. Iguchi
3. Rowand
4. Konerko
5. Everett
6. Dye
7. Pierzynski
8. Crede
9. UribeThat lineup might be better against LHP, but against RHP, Everett is a much better choice for hitting #3.

WikdChiSoxFan
04-05-2005, 03:46 PM
(Just a suggestion, but...)
Put Uribe at #2 this month so we can milk his April "hotness" for all it's worth...then Iguchi will have adjusted a bit more and will probably have more success doing all the things talked about previously in this thread.

If Uribe didn't have a habit of destroying everything in April, and Iguchi wasn't new to the league, my definitive choise for the 2 spot would definately be iguchi.

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 03:48 PM
(Just a suggestion, but...)
Put Uribe at #2 this month so we can milk his April "hotness" for all it's worth...then Iguchi will have adjusted a bit more and will probably have more success doing all the things talked about previously in this thread.

If Uribe didn't have a habit of destroying everything in April, and Iguchi wasn't new to the league, my definitive choise for the 2 spot would definately be iguchi.What April "hotness" are we talking about? Are you assuming because he did it last year he's automatically going to have a good April this year? Based on that we should have kept Scott Schoeneweis.

Jjav829
04-05-2005, 03:49 PM
I vote for waiting say, more than 1 game, before making any moves. :smile: I understand the discussion. I just think we need to give him a little more time. Everyone struggled versus Westbrook. If Iguchi continues this, then the move should be made. But let's at least give him a chance for now.

WikdChiSoxFan
04-05-2005, 03:54 PM
What April "hotness" are we talking about? Are you assuming because he did it last year he's automatically going to have a good April this year? Based on that we should have kept Scott Schoeneweis.

Didn't I see a stat recently that said he had the highest career (albeit short) April BA? They were comparing somebody else on the list this spring...

I've got $5 on hotness...

ondafarm
04-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Well I think the Gooch . . .

Just a point. I am certain he'd prefer to be called 'Iggy' than 'Gooch'. The former goes well into Japanese, the latter is a somewhat inappropriate insult in Japanese.

shoota
04-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I don't think there's a bad option for #2 hitter between Iguchi, Rowand or Uribe. I do think Rowand isn't the best option at #2 because he doesn't take enough pitches. Whoever our two hitter is, he MUST give Podsednik time to steal. Rowand is at the plate to hit, and even though I'd rather see him more selective, he succeeds with his approach, so don't try to chain him down in the #2 spot.

Leave Iguchi at #2.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Just a point. I am certain he'd prefer to be called 'Iggy' than 'Gooch'. The former goes well into Japanese, the latter is a somewhat inappropriate insult in Japanese.
Actually, he prefers "Tad." But we all know he's at the mercy of Hawk's whimsy: whatever Harrelson decides to call him will stick. I just hope DJ doesn't get into Hawk's head too much, or he'll start calling him "Taguchi."

Hey DJ:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2643&stc=1 ≠ http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2644&stc=1 !

Mohoney
04-05-2005, 06:07 PM
I vote for waiting say, more than 1 game, before making any moves.

Screw that. Dump Crede NOW!

Fake Chet Lemon
04-05-2005, 08:48 PM

Maybe like this...

1. Podsednik
2. Iguchi
3. Rowand
4. Konerko
5. Everett
6. Dye
7. Pierzynski
8. Crede
9. Uribe

Right answer! But it's going to be even sweeter when Frank takes over the 3-hole.