PDA

View Full Version : Complete parking ineptitude

jenmcm76
04-04-2005, 11:18 PM
That's not how this one was advertised; Was supposed to be every single person through the gate.

I got the shaft as well, largely due to parking and traffic ineptitude--I was stuck on Wallace for about a half hour, and ended up having to park by Michael Reese and take the shuttle. :angry:

I had the same problems trying to park today... Hubby and I had a green prepaid coupon, and we followed the driving instructions to the letter. We got off of 35th (northbound) at 12:55pm, and instead of being able to cross the expressway at 35th, they made us go up to 33rd where we had to wait forever to turn left onto Wentworth. Once we passed the park going south on Wentworth, we were guided into the rightmost lane for green coupon holders. We turned west on 37th and it looked like we were about to go into lot E, but like npdempse, we were directed all the way to Wallace, then back east on 35th. By this time, it's 1:40pm, and the next parking attendant tells us to continue on 35th to Cottage Grove where we'll see the lot for Mercy Hospital. From there we can supposedly take a shuttle to the game. ***?!?! I don't know that area too well, so I took what he said to be true. :angry:

Anyway, those of you who know the area know that Mercy is nowhere near there, and that Michael Reese - the one that actually had the shuttle (as I learned from the above quote) - wasn't visible from there, either. :angry::angry::angry:So other than directing us to the wrong hospital, at the wrong location, they were really helpful. By now, the game is starting, and we're getting REALLY pissed. Finally, as we were driving past Lots E and F (again), an attendant let us in and showed us to an open space, where another attendant had apparently parked and then moved his car. So thanks to the one parking attendant/traffic person who actually was of any help. Anyway, by the time we got in the gate, it was already about 2:20.

It's not like we missed a lot of the game, but felt like we had gotten there early enough, especially since we had the prepaid parking. The thing that really got my goat was that there appeared to be people paying cash for parking who were getting into Lot F the first time we drove by. I guess if they've already got your money, they don't care if they can get you in or not, but if they can get even more people to cough up $17 for parking, they'll do it. I guess they did offer the shuttle, but that sounded pretty piss-poor to someone who'd been driving in circles for an hour.:mad: Anyway, as soon as we got in, hubby went to Guest Relations and made a stink, and they gave us $17 in Comiskey Cash. Better than nothing, I guess. And at least they won, so that took most of the sting out of it....

What I'm wondering now is how many other people had similar experiences, and did you have prepaid parking or pay cash? Oh, and what time did you get to/near the park, and how long did it take to get through the gate? Just wondering if my conspiracy theories have any merit...

JB98
04-04-2005, 11:33 PM
I had the same problems trying to park today... Hubby and I had a green prepaid coupon, and we followed the driving instructions to the letter. We got off of 35th (northbound) at 12:55pm, and instead of being able to cross the expressway at 35th, they made us go up to 33rd where we had to wait forever to turn left onto Wentworth. Once we passed the park going south on Wentworth, we were guided into the rightmost lane for green coupon holders. We turned west on 37th and it looked like we were about to go into lot E, but like npdempse, we were directed all the way to Wallace, then back east on 35th. By this time, it's 1:40pm, and the next parking attendant tells us to continue on 35th to Cottage Grove where we'll see the lot for Mercy Hospital. From there we can supposedly take a shuttle to the game. ***?!?! I don't know that area too well, so I took what he said to be true. :angry:

Anyway, those of you who know the area know that Mercy is nowhere near there, and that Michael Reese - the one that actually had the shuttle (as I learned from the above quote) - wasn't visible from there, either. :angry::angry::angry:So other than directing us to the wrong hospital, at the wrong location, they were really helpful. By now, the game is starting, and we're getting REALLY pissed. Finally, as we were driving past Lots E and F (again), an attendant let us in and showed us to an open space, where another attendant had apparently parked and then moved his car. So thanks to the one parking attendant/traffic person who actually was of any help. Anyway, by the time we got in the gate, it was already about 2:20.

It's not like we missed a lot of the game, but felt like we had gotten there early enough, especially since we had the prepaid parking. The thing that really got my goat was that there appeared to be people paying cash for parking who were getting into Lot F the first time we drove by. I guess if they've already got your money, they don't care if they can get you in or not, but if they can get even more people to cough up $17 for parking, they'll do it. I guess they did offer the shuttle, but that sounded pretty piss-poor to someone who'd been driving in circles for an hour.:mad: Anyway, as soon as we got in, hubby went to Guest Relations and made a stink, and they gave us $17 in Comiskey Cash. Better than nothing, I guess. And at least they won, so that took most of the sting out of it....

What I'm wondering now is how many other people had similar experiences, and did you have prepaid parking or pay cash? Oh, and what time did you get to/near the park, and how long did it take to get through the gate? Just wondering if my conspiracy theories have any merit...

My sister ended up missing the game. They had her driving around in circles for two hours. She got pissed off and went home once she was unable to park by the fourth inning.

I took public transportation. Unfortunately, that option wasn't available for my sis, because she lives in Urbana. I understand your frustration.

WagMan
04-05-2005, 12:03 AM
I got down to 35th & Halsted around 1:20 and started making my way toward the park. All the usual side lots were full. Then, the Sox lots were full. One of the helpful traffic directors told us that all parking was being directed to 31st & Cottage Grove. Well, it was almost 2:00 and I knew first pitch was out of the question. By the time we got over the Dan Ryan and even close to 31st St., the game had started and the line of traffic wasn't moving. It was a nightmare. Left and right, people were giving up. Finally, we saw there weren't any restricted parking signs on the streets and parked around 31st & King Dr. Couldn't find a shuttle. Couldn't find a cab. Got inside the gate at the start of the 3rd inning. I spent more time getting to and leaving the park today than I did inside!

So, time of game: 1 hour 55 minutes
Time traveling to and from park 3 hours, 45 minutes
Frustrations of missing the first pitch at the first home opener on opening day: Priceless

chisoxmike
04-05-2005, 12:12 AM
I'll never park there on opening day. I drive down to the 7th street garage on Balbo and Wabash for $8, thats right $8, not the $17 at the cell, then the red line is right beind the garage (harrison stop)

frontrunner3
04-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Lot F is where I parked and paid cash to do so. I believe that lot is a cash or coupon lot. We pulled into the lot about 11:40 and had no problems with traffic or anything. I always get off the dan ryan at pershing, seems to be alot less hectic and you have 3 lots to choose from between pershing and the ballpark. My only complaint was that there were only 2 port-o-johns for the whole freakin lot. It appeared as though it was pretty much the same for lot E. Very poor planning by the sox staff considering the amount of tailgaters that were present. Everything else about opening day was awesome though.

Gosox1917
04-05-2005, 12:53 AM
$17!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!! Good golly. Do you get to park under the bleachers? Anyway, I hate how prices go up, just something I have to live with for the rest of my friggin' life.

FightingBillini
04-05-2005, 01:00 AM
My friend and I went to the game, and we got to the park at 1. I was hoping to meet up with y'all at the WSI tailgate. We were directed past the park, and we continued going west on 35th. I eventually turned right at the street after the one Grandstand is on. I went down 33rd, hoping to get in at the back end of one of the lots, as I did for one of the Cubs games last year when I got there 30 min before gametime. No dice. I eventually turned left on shields, where the cop told me parking was available on 31st and cottage grove. I didnt know where Cottage Grove was in relation to Shields, so I turned left on 31st, and headed west. I stopped to ask a traffic cop, but this bitter woman barked at me, so I went on my way. I went west for a few more miles, and then thought that either I passed it up, or it was in the other direction. I turned around and came back down 31st. I got to Wentworth and headed back south. After all of that, I was able to get parking in centerfield of old Comiskey. Im glad I got to park there, but I was so angry they lead me in circles and zig zags. I missed the anthem, but made first pitch.

They need to work on the scheme for directing traffic. I know this was the first game of the year, but that isnt an excuse. They need to get this down, because this will be a special year, and there will be a LOT more sellouts.

WikdChiSoxFan
04-05-2005, 08:32 AM
A possible solution that some may be interested in.

There's a park and ride at the 35th & Archer Orange Line Stop. Throw down a few bucks and hop on the #35 bus over to the park. It's like a 15 minute bus ride. All the fun, none of the hassle. Get of 55 at Damen (Or California) a block on Archer and you're there.

(However, this won't work during work day games as the lot is always full. I'm not sure if they do anything different for Sox gamedays.)

But then again, I'm guessing there won't be a lot of days where parking will be a huge issue like opening day.

But I guess it'll come in handy for the playoffs!!!

SoxFanTillDeath
04-05-2005, 08:44 AM
I didn't really have that much trouble parking, but I did get there about 12:30 or so, so maybe I beat all the problems. It probably took 10-15 minutes to get to a lot a park after I got off the expressway.

Leaving the park was definitely a problem, however. What is usually a 30-45 minutes drive tops ended up being a 2 hour drive home. I sat in the stinking parking lot for 25 minutes before I decided to go out a back exit, then I sat on that street for another 20 minutes before I finally got on a main road. Then they sent me away from the expressway, which wasn't really a problem because I knew how to navigate the area and got on the expressway pretty easily. I was very unhappy with the parking situation, and I'm even more angry knowing that there were other sox fans who couldn't even park at the game to watch. Isn't US Cellular Field the park in town where you DON'T have problems parking?

On a side note, does anyone know of a place where you can park for a Sox game for under $17? That's such a rip off it's sick. Thanks.

EDIT: I come to the park heading East on 90 from the NW suburbs...

joepoe
04-05-2005, 08:56 AM
My brother did the same thing. He ended up by Lake Shore Drive by the end of the third inning and just went home.

My sister ended up missing the game. They had her driving around in circles for two hours. She got pissed off and went home once she was unable to park by the fourth inning.

I took public transportation. Unfortunately, that option wasn't available for my sis, because she lives in Urbana. I understand your frustration.

Norberto7
04-05-2005, 09:04 AM
On a side note, does anyone know of a place where you can park for a Sox game for under $17? That's such a rip off it's sick. Thanks.

If you don't mind a little walk, park west of Halsted where it is no longer resident only permits. Zero dollars......yesssssss.

SoxFan78
04-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Me and my buddies got there early to tailgate so we had no problems. I did hear that the 35th street exit was closed, was that true. I think the Sox have to do something about that porta-poddy system though. You pay 17 bucks to park, and they have 2 bathrooms per parking lot. I think they could put a couple more up for that price...

fusillirob1983
04-05-2005, 09:10 AM
I didn't go to the game yesterday, but the past couple years when I've gone to games I'd park Lot C, just west of the train tracks on 35th street. I've been paying half price for parking if I got there an hour and a half or earlier before the game starts.

Max Power
04-05-2005, 09:49 AM

Geez, it's up to $17!
I usually take the el, but coming from Evanston is a long ride and sometimes I'm not up for it. Last season I parked a little North of the Green Line station on 35th street (33rd? just East of State, within the IIT campus). I didn't have any problems and I never realized how nice IIT's campus is. Anyone else park around there?

ewokpelts
04-05-2005, 09:58 AM
I didn't go to the game yesterday, but the past couple years when I've gone to games I'd park Lot C, just west of the train tracks on 35th street. I've been paying half price for parking if I got there an hour and a half or earlier before the game starts.
sox dont offer discounts in thier lots
:reinsy
fat chance biting that apple!

Gene

nlentz88
04-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I did hear that the 35th street exit was closed, was that true.

Yeah, we tried to exit the expressway at 35th too, but two cop cars were blocking the exit. We ended up on Pershing and had not problem getting into a $17 lot. But yeah, $17 is a lot for parking in a gravel lot with only two port-o-potties.

As for exiting the stadium, my cousin and I watched everyone waiting in line to leave the stadium as we cracked a few brews and talked about the game. Instead of waiting in a car for 20-30 minutes to get out of the lot and back onto the expressway, we waited outside in the nice weather.

I usually take the Red Line to games, but it was fun to tailgate before and after Opening Day. I'm sure the parking won't be so bad for future games, except for the sell-outs (Cubs series, fan appreciation day, etc.). It would be nice, though, if the White Sox upgraded their parking lot experience to something worthy of your $17.

Rocky Soprano
04-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I got there about 11, so no problems to park. But getting out was another story. Good thing, we decided to just chill for a bit.

the gooch
04-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power
I usually take the el, but coming from Evanston is a long ride and sometimes I'm not up for it. Last season I parked a little North of the Green Line station on 35th street (33rd? just East of State, within the IIT campus). I didn't have any problems and I never realized how nice IIT's campus is. Anyone else park around there?

Shhhh. i always park on the IIT main campus. after 7 and all weekend no parking permit is required. but the number of open spaces is always limited. the cops who work the game park in the alley off 35th street just west of the ERB, but i usually park by some friends who still go to school there.
and for the record: no, IIT's campus is not nice.

cheeses_h_rice
04-05-2005, 10:47 AM
I will never again park in a paid lot on a day when I know the park will be close to sold out. The traffic direction around the park is borderline incompetent, and you never know when the last lot in the direction you're being herded to will be closed, and the traffic cops decide to redirect you down streets where cars are completely backed up and not moving. IMO, this is a HUGE issue that the Sox need to work out with the city. I just park far away and walk to the park, which takes far less time than risking getting stuck in the vortex of cluster****itude that is traffic on 35th and the side streets.

LauraJ14
04-05-2005, 10:52 AM
sox dont offer discounts in thier lots
:reinsy
fat chance biting that apple!

Gene

If you are a season ticket holder you get discounted parking, mine is $13 per game.

schmitty9800
04-05-2005, 10:52 AM
So we're 2 blocks from the Cell parking when we hear from friends that we're meeting at the game that it's full. We search around for parking desperately as there's 10 minutes until first pitch, and we see some guys with flags waving people into an apartment complex parking lot. Give them $20 and park there.

Upon the end of the game, we see that the 15 cars parked there are all gone. Towed, and the guys are nowhere in sight. Although a little later I did see supposedly one of their friends getting his ass beaten in by another guy who got towed. Everyone at the towing depot is fuming, and it really seemed like a sting: fake parking and then the towing company cleans up. The towing company just decides to do their patrol right after game time. I'm definitely filing a complaint, that's $150 down the drain. To top it off, after the hour extra I spent down at the towing depot traffic was still ungodly.

What's weird is that I had never heard of this happening. When I told my Dad about it, he said "Damn! I knew I forgot to tell you that about parking down there." Apparently my uncle had that happen to him once too.

SoxFan78
04-05-2005, 11:05 AM
So we're 2 blocks from the Cell parking when we hear from friends that we're meeting at the game that it's full. We search around for parking desperately as there's 10 minutes until first pitch, and we see some guys with flags waving people into an apartment complex parking lot. Give them $20 and park there.

Upon the end of the game, we see that the 15 cars parked there are all gone. Towed, and the guys are nowhere in sight. Although a little later I did see supposedly one of their friends getting his ass beaten in by another guy who got towed. Everyone at the towing depot is fuming, and it really seemed like a sting: fake parking and then the towing company cleans up. The towing company just decides to do their patrol right after game time. I'm definitely filing a complaint, that's $150 down the drain. To top it off, after the hour extra I spent down at the towing depot traffic was still ungodly.

What's weird is that I had never heard of this happening. When I told my Dad about it, he said "Damn! I knew I forgot to tell you that about parking down there." Apparently my uncle had that happen to him once too.

That really sucks, I hope you can get your money back. Thats why I never trust those people that are selling their own parking. I would just get to the park early or either take public transportation.

Sargeant79
04-05-2005, 12:07 PM
I've lived in the neighborhood off and on for several years. When I haven't, I always park either west of Halsted on one of the side streets or south of Pershing on either Wallace. It's free, and you're around the perimeter of the parking chaos so you miss almost all the traffic. From either of those spots, you are only a 10-15 minute walk from the park.

gosox41
04-05-2005, 12:12 PM

Where did this happen at? I never heard of it happening before. Maybe you should let the Sox know about this scam so they can look into it.

Bob

The Racehorse
04-05-2005, 12:26 PM

I had a similar experience many [many] years ago in Denver... it was January [and cold as hell], I was enroute to a Bon Jovi concert at McNichols Arena... couldn't find anywhere to park downtown...

I parked in an apartment complex [instead of fake guys taking my money, we simply didn't see the No Parking sign]

... the towing company guy looked like Jerry Garcia with 'roided muscles. He was toting a .45 strapped at his waist. His German Shepherd at his side was as big as a bear...

... $150 down the drain.

PatK
04-05-2005, 12:27 PM
. The traffic direction around the park is borderline incompetent

That's being too kind.

It's beyond incompetent. It's an insult to anyone that pays money to attend Sox games. And it's not that it's bad on days that are sold out, it's ALWAYS bad.

I hate to say it, but it's a sad fact that it's more of a pain and more time consuming to get in and out of the lots at the Cell than it is to go to Wrigley WHERE THEY DON'T HAVE LOTS.

schmitty9800
04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
That really sucks, I hope you can get your money back. Thats why I never trust those people that are selling their own parking. I would just get to the park early or either take public transportation.

Yeah, I haven't had too much experience going to packed Sox games, the only ones I have been to like that I've tailgated at so I was there 2 hours early. I would take public transportation, but there is no El stop by me.

Where did this happen at? I never heard of it happening before. Maybe you should let the Sox know about this scam so they can look into it.

BobA lot of people picking up their cars from the towing complex said they'd let the CPD know (said they had friends in the dept too, heh), so hopefully that'll do something.

mweflen
04-05-2005, 03:17 PM
I had a similar experience last season for an interleague game against the Braves. Normally I never drive (always take brown to red line), but my GF's sister was having trouble walking, so we felt we should drive. The game wasn't even a sellout, but the lots filled up, so they divert us all over hell and creation just to get back to the lot right by the train tracks northwest of the park.

Now, I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the parking goons with walkie talkies. Couldn't they have radioed the guy at 35th and Wentworth and had people divert west right there, instead of go down to 37th, across the tracks, through residential streets for 45 minutes, just to arrive back at 35th and the train tracks?

Never again.

Iwritecode
04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
That's being too kind.

It's beyond incompetent. It's an insult to anyone that pays money to attend Sox games. And it's not that it's bad on days that are sold out, it's ALWAYS bad.

The only time I really had a problem with the parking was on opening day last year. It wasn't even that bad, I just had to park in the lot that was the furthest away from the park. I've never had that much of a problem getting out. Regular season games that aren't sold out are especially nice and easy.

I hate to say it, but it's a sad fact that it's more of a pain and more time consuming to get in and out of the lots at the Cell than it is to go to Wrigley WHERE THEY DON'T HAVE LOTS.

I've only been to Wrigley a few times in my life and have had 10X the amount of trouble parking there compared to the Cell. I'm not sure what's worse, getting through the neighborhoods to get near the park or finding a place to park once you get there. One time I missed the first two innings of a game because I was driving around looking for somewhere to park. Ended up having to pay $20 to park in someone's driveway.

Another time I went into one of those "pay to park" lots where they stuff the cars in tighter than sardines in a can. Luckily the people parked in front of me came out around the same time we did so we were able to get out before midnight...

irish rover
04-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Every year since 1998, I've parked in lot G and got in1/2 price 1.5 hrs before the game. It is usually where the workers park. I didn't park there Mon because we tailgated in E

ewokpelts
04-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Every year since 1998, I've parked in lot G and got in1/2 price 1.5 hrs before the game. It is usually where the workers park. I didn't park there Mon because we tailgated in E
que? jerry's offering half off parking?
Gene

irish rover
04-05-2005, 04:01 PM
its not like it is an offical offer to fans, it is where the workers park and everyone who parks there 1.5 hrs before the game gets in for 1/2 price. It is the only lot that does this

irish rover
04-05-2005, 04:07 PM
some hints about avoiding 35th on heavy traffic days

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_directions.jsp

soxwon
04-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Blue Line from harlem to us cellular

45 minutes $1.75

left harlem at 11:50 arrived 12:35
thats the ticket.

SpammySosa
04-05-2005, 05:16 PM
its not like it is an offical offer to fans, it is where the workers park and everyone who parks there 1.5 hrs before the game gets in for 1/2 price. It is the only lot that does this

I had no problems exiting on 35th from the expressway and I got there at 12:50. Obviously most of the lots closer to the stadium were full,so I went by LOT G. I couldn't tell if it was open or not because a lot of people were passing through and I didn't want to hold up traffic so I kept going.Right past LOT G there was a private lot advertising parking for 17,same as the Sox.But when I pulled in there the guy said it was THIRTY BUCKS! So I turned around and found LOT G was open and parked there.I was there an hour before game time-never heard of that hour and a half discount-sounds kinda shady to me.

irish rover
04-05-2005, 05:41 PM
why would I lie about the 1/2 price, I've posted that deal here many times before.

AGAIN it is the lot mainly used by gameday workers, THUS anyone who parks there 1.5 hours before the game gets in 1/2 price. They keep it low key to allow workers to park there

There is NOTHING shady about it, if you don't believe me, continue to pay the full amount it is no skin off my nose, just trying to pass on some info

SpammySosa
04-05-2005, 05:56 PM
why would I lie about the 1/2 price, I've posted that deal here many times before.

AGAIN it is the lot mainly used by gameday workers, THUS anyone who parks there 1.5 hours before the game gets in 1/2 price. They keep it low key to allow workers to park there

There is NOTHING shady about it, if you don't believe me, continue to pay the full amount it is no skin off my nose, just trying to pass on some info

I wasn't accusing you of lying.I just think that being a businessman,Uncle Jerry would inventory the parking vouchers and know 1)how many the attendants start out with 2)how many were used and 3)how much $$ to expect from sales. Maybe I am not thinking everything out(wouldn't be the first time),but it makes sense to me.

zach074
04-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Me and my dad got around the park an hour early, but of course no where to park so we drove around and just ended up parking at Wallace and Pershing for free and there were were not any no parking signs.

Foulke You
04-05-2005, 06:42 PM

45 minutes $1.75

thats the ticket.

Amen brother. I get on the Blue Line at Cumberland or Rosemont, take it to Washington, transfer to the Red Line and get off at Sox 35th. Took about 50 minutes total and I arrived at the park at 1:10. Ate my hot dog on the concourse and was sitting comfortably in my seat by 1:40. $1.75 for the ride and no hassles. Let's you off right by the park. For green line riders, you can get off at 35th-Bronzeville and walk two blocks to the park.

I've sworn off driving to Comiskey since the debacle in 2000 (the sellout vs the Tribe after the "infamous road trip"). I couldn't find parking and the traffic was backed up for miles. My tale of woe is well documented in Dan Helpingtine's White Sox 1959 and Beyond so I don't want to get into it again. :D: The L is the absolute only way to go to Sox games for me.:cool:

beckett21
04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
At least after reading this thread I don't feel like such an idiot.

I got to the park at about 1:15 and didn't find a place to park until 2:30. I just kept driving around in circles, getting more and more ticked off. :angry:

Finally I found a spot in an apartment complex lot around 37th and Halsted for $10. From what it sounds like, I'm lucky I didn't get towed. My fear was getting boxed in, but by the time I finally parked no one got in behind me and I was able to make a clean getaway. :cool:

Horrible horrible experience. Didn't get to my seat until the 3rd inning. Almost ruined Opening Day completely for me, but the W took the bad taste out of my mouth. :redneck

Daver
04-05-2005, 10:00 PM
You can usually find parking right off of State street on the street for free, if you don't mind the walk. I usually take my Go-Ped and ride it to the park.

Viva Medias B's
04-05-2005, 10:10 PM
My father and I arrived at the park sometime between 11:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. I had the green parking coupon for my car, and we were lucky enough to get into Lot E. 15 minutes later, it was filled. What really bothered me was not the space issue, since I was early enough to get one. Instead, there were these moronic parking attendants standing on 37th Street yelling at drivers. Maybe I'm being too sensitive here, but I think that is extremely unprofessional. If I was these jerks' boss and saw them doing that, they would be at the unemployment office today.

cwsox
04-05-2005, 10:19 PM

45 minutes $1.75

thats the ticket.

bingo, we have a winner

why anyone would drive when you know its a sell out, I don't know, I take the el every time I can and I live in Michigan... my friends like to meet at Rosemont or Cumberland and we take the el from there. That is out of my way but then if I stay over I stay with my friends out there so it works.

Games like yesterday when I return home same day, I do drive, but I also planned on getting there early enough to avoid the parking hassles which I did. I got there a little after 12 Chicago time and zipped right in.

From the time the old Logan Square line was extended to Jefferson park in 1970, the el has always been the far superior way to go.

cwsfannick
04-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Me and my brother had many of the same problems as others in this thread. Exited at 35th street and instead of diverting traffic east to IIT and Micheal Reese that had us go on a Wild Goose Chase for parking. Finally, made it over to 31st and Cottage Grove and took the Shuttle over to the park. Here's were the plot thickens. Bus driver let's us off at 35th St were the pedestrian bridge is and states that were I leave you off at is were I will pick you up at after the game. Guess what? Games over and no bus in that location. Both of us walking around aimlessly looking for help to locate these buses. We locate them at the 35th St. ramp, but of course they won't let us in and the damn TMA folks start yelling at the bus drivers to move. We finally locate a Sox security guard and he let's us know that the pick up station is 34th and Shields. I say thanks and let him know that this whole process is one big cluster f--- and he nods his head in agreement. I believe it took us longer to get to our car and back home than it did to play the game. I believe this will be the last time I drive to opening day. Red line here I come.

rwcescato
04-05-2005, 10:30 PM

My suggestion to anyone going to opening day. Get to the parking lot by 11 am. or 3 hrs before the game starts. You will be able to tailgate. Eat your lunch and relax. Drink some beer.

Sargeant79
04-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Finally I found a spot in an apartment complex lot around 37th and Halsted for $10. From what it sounds like, I'm lucky I didn't get towed. My fear was getting boxed in, but by the time I finally parked no one got in behind me and I was able to make a clean getaway. :cool:

I think I know the spot you're talking about. If you would have parked on a side street west of Halsted, probably only a few feet from the lot where you parked, you could have saved $10. I definitely recommend the side streets for anyone who doesn't mind the walk. It sounds like you were already there anyway.

I hate seeing Sox fans get hosed by having to pay $10, $15, even $20 for parking. It's ridiculous. However, the businesses who rent out their lots on Halsted tend to be legitimate, to the best of my knowledge, so at least you don't have to be worried about being towed from them. I used to live next door to a car wash on Halsted that rented out their lot across the street for $10. The kicker is that there was no residential sticker required on the street that was in full view of the lot right off Halsted and the people selling their spots in these lots are banking off the fact that they know you don't know that.

Factor in the incompetence of the people directing the parking traffic, and it really makes trying to deal with the pay lots not worth the energy. Go for the side streets or the El, even if you have to park near a different El stop in different parts of the city. Don't give these people your money for what amounts to a lousy service.

tacosalbarojas
04-06-2005, 12:45 PM

There is NOTHING shady about it, if you don't believe me, continue to pay the full amount it is no skin off my nose, just trying to pass on some infoI'll corroborate for you, rover. We get there 1 1/2 hours early just about every game - and they kept that at $8, even though full price was raised the one dollar.

mzol11
04-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Its called get there earlier! Any self respecting Sox fan knows that on opening day all the wannabe "thing to do" fans are out. You people should know better and get there aerlier or dont bother. As I was sipping my beer and eating my brat I was watching you circle the block

ewokpelts
04-06-2005, 05:18 PM
cobblestones on 39th charges 10 bucks to park, but you get 10 bucks in drink tokens to spend inside.

Gene

Fake Chet Lemon
04-06-2005, 10:07 PM
I attended the first 8 openers in the new stadium, and have a few horror stories. We now make it a point to attend game #2 instead. The stress is eliminated, easy to get tickets, and the baseball is just as great. This year even better!!!

cubhater
04-07-2005, 11:51 AM
If you don't mind a little walk, park west of Halsted where it is no longer resident only permits. Zero dollars......yesssssss.

There are a few day-of-game parking resitrictions west of Halstead but you're in the clear once you past Morgan (1000W). It takes me 20-30 minutes to walk from there. I wouldn't park on Morgan since there are still some gangbangers on the block.

shoota
04-07-2005, 07:53 PM

Are you not allowed to tailgate in lot G? I don't know what I'd do for 1.5 hours if I couldn't tailgate.

Are the incompetent traffic workers the ones in the bright green outfits? I've seen them last year, but I haven't been to the park this year yet.

ChicagoHoosier
04-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Seems this is garnering interest from me as well. I just checked the Sox website and didn't even see G listed in the directions, but they obviously show on the map where it is.

Anyone know if tailgating is allowed in Lot G? I noticed the website states...

Tailgating
Can fans tailgate before White Sox games?
Tailgating is allowed and encouraged in White Sox parking lots A-F before every home game until game time. Parking lots open two hours prior to game time. Please use personal-size grills and bring one gallon of water to extinguish the coals. In order to maintain a family atmosphere, kegs are not permitted in the lots.

If so, that seems to be a great deal to save the $9 if you're already getting to the park early. If not as it appears, guess I'll just go to Lot E, which I did once last year for the Red Sox and it worked out great. I usually take the L as well, but for the Dodgers game I'll be tailgating Friday night for sure! The big question is whether to buy a 1959 hat in advance from Grandstand or to get the free hat with some dumb logo on it at the game (and leave my beers and brats early to get it).

shoota
04-07-2005, 10:34 PM
cobblestones on 39th charges 10 bucks to park, but you get 10 bucks in drink tokens to spend inside.

Gene

Sounds like a deal I will consider. Here's what Metromix has to say about Cobblestones:
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/search/26437,0,1015439.venue

Gene, I'm assuming you've been there before for a Sox game, so I have a couple questions to ask you. Is it safe to walk to and from the park from Cobblestones? Is it safe to park my car there and leave to go to a Sox game?

Metromix says that it closes at 9 p.m. Monday-Friday, and since a 7:05 game can go for 3 hours + the walk back, does Cobblestones allow cars to be parked in its lot after they've already closed?

Sorry to throw all this on you, it's just that you got me curious now. :gulp:

Parrothead
04-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Sounds like a deal I will consider. Here's what Metromix has to say about Cobblestones:
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/search/26437,0,1015439.venue

Gene, I'm assuming you've been there before for a Sox game, so I have a couple questions to ask you. Is it safe to walk to and from the park from Cobblestones? Is it safe to park my car there and leave to go to a Sox game?

Metromix says that it closes at 9 p.m. Monday-Friday, and since a 7:05 game can go for 3 hours + the walk back, does Cobblestones allow cars to be parked in its lot after they've already closed?

Sorry to throw all this on you, it's just that you got me curious now. :gulp:

I have parked there many times....it is safe to park, walk and they are open after the game. Go there....have a muffeleta. they are great.

shoota
04-07-2005, 10:53 PM
I have parked there many times....it is safe to park, walk and they are open after the game. Go there....have a muffeleta. they are great.

Don't mind if I do. Thanks! :gulp:

SpammySosa
04-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Are you not allowed to tailgate in lot G?

Opening Day was the first time I ever used Lot G and there were plenty of people tailgating then.