PDA

View Full Version : New Sox Intro

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I did not see any thread titles regarding this, so I'll start one here.

The collage of White Sox history highlights in the first part of the intro was awesome. However, I did not like the player introductions with "Right Now." I liked the "Thunderstruck" intro better.

Also, I thought that Tom Shaer totally sucked as PA announcer today.

Palehose13
04-04-2005, 09:43 PM
I did not see any thread titles regarding this, so I'll start one here.

The collage of White Sox history highlights in the first part of the intro was awesome. However, I did not like the player introductions with "Right Now." I liked the "Thunderstruck" intro better.

Also, I thought that Tom Shaer totally sucked as PA announcer today.

I agree with everything you wrote.

Where was Gene Honda?

JRIG
04-04-2005, 09:45 PM

Where was Gene Honda?

NCAA Championship in St. Louis doing the PA.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-04-2005, 09:45 PM

Where was Gene Honda?
I'm guessing he's at the NCAA tournament right now, but I can't confirm because I'd rather watch the Sox replay than the Illini game. :D:

mcfish
04-04-2005, 09:46 PM

Where was Gene Honda?NCAA Championship Game. He'll be back probably Thursday, but maybe next homestand.

JUribe1989
04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Not a Van Halen fan? I liked the new intro and I'm probably biased because I know what a nice guy he is, but I really liked Tom Shaer as the PA Announcer. I did love Thunderstruck but I like Right Now too. They played the Pirates of the Caribbean theme song before that. I love that song, but it is more suited for the team that originally played it during their intro.........The Pirates (Battlin' Buccos).

Rocklive99
04-04-2005, 09:49 PM
I agree that Shaer sucked, I did a huge double take when watching the pregame on TV, and then remembered the NCAA duties. Like I said in the gameday thread, that was a little disappointing, since Honda's voice is a big part of a Sox game experience for me. Maybe I'm weird, but the voice helps pump me up, sometimes giving me shivers. They should start working on a way to make a computer replica and recording it so that they can use it forever ;)

Brian26
04-04-2005, 10:00 PM
The collage of White Sox history highlights in the first part of the intro was awesome.

It was BEYOND awesome. Whoever did the editing on that should be commended. They had every significant highlight one could possibly think of packed into that opening video. Off the top of my head: They showed the clip of LaRussa throwing third base in that Orioles game from '83, Joe Cowley jumping after his no-hitter, Frank Thomas with Robin over his shoulder after Ventura's 7/31/91 grandslam off Gossage, a real quick Disco Demolition explosion, Jose's May '03 walkoff against the Cubs...it goes on and on. Lots of obscure stuff in there though.

Brian26
04-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Did anyone notice whether or not Ivan Calderon's photo was flashed on the scoreboard during the moment of silence? I may have missed it.

HomeFish
04-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Calderon was not among the photos. I specifically looked for him.

I personally think the new intro is very weak, and gets me nowhere near as pumped up as the old one did. I want last year's back.

Brian26
04-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Did anyone catch both Buehrle AND Coop in the bullpen doing the "bow" to Mansoo Lee during the player introductions? That was hilarious.

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Did anyone notice whether or not Ivan Calderon's photo was flashed on the scoreboard during the moment of silence? I may have missed it.

He died the year before and was remembered Opening Day '04.

Brian26
04-04-2005, 10:09 PM
He died the year before and was remembered Opening Day '04.

I'm almost positive he passed after Opening Day '04. I'll google it...

Brian26
04-04-2005, 10:10 PM
No, you are correct. He passed away late Dec of '03.

Foulke You
04-04-2005, 10:16 PM
That new intro was indeed awesome. It was extremely cool and well put together. I'm not too crazy about the individual entrances for the players (haven't been since they started it last year). I used to like the whole team running out there together when Honda would go "And now, here are your 2005 Chicago White Sox!" Oh well.

Palehose13
04-04-2005, 10:16 PM
I personally think the new intro is very weak, and gets me nowhere near as pumped up as the old one did. I want last year's back.

I loved the first part. The video clips were awesome, and THEN....ugh. I am a Van Halen fan, but "Right now" is a song that I expect to be played during a video highlight. Something more kick ass is needed like "Thunderstruck", "Kick Start my Heart","TNT", something with an edge!!!!

bahn1225
04-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Who threw out the first pitch?

zach074
04-04-2005, 10:23 PM
I loved the first part. The video clips were awesome, and THEN....ugh. I am a Van Halen fan, but "Right now" is a song that I expect to be played during a video highlight. Something more kick ass is needed like "Thunderstruck", "Kick Start my Heart","TNT", something with an edge!!!!

I think back in black would work well, but i really liked the actual video part of the intro.

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Who threw out the first pitch?

Efrain Moreno, who fought in Iraq.

Palehose13
04-04-2005, 10:32 PM
I think back in black would work well, but i really liked the actual video part of the intro.

I was gonna list that one too, but I thought that may be too many AC/DC suggestions. :redface:

Missed ya' at the tailgate!

Norberto7
04-04-2005, 11:53 PM
I thought that the Van Halen was a pretty cool intro song. Sure, it doesn't quite have the kick-ass that some of the other options presented here do, but I'm a fan of its gradual build up to a pretty sweet crescendo.

If only Konerko hadn't taken so long, its timing would have worked out perfectly. :rolleyes:

batmanZoSo
04-05-2005, 12:09 AM

I knew that was him.

MeanFish
04-05-2005, 12:12 AM

If they wanted Van Halen, they should have gone with Unchained. It describes our baserunning, anyway.

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 12:16 AM
If they wanted Van Halen, they should have gone with Unchained. It describes our baserunning, anyway.If you watched them on Saturday, "Nowhere to Run" would be more appropriate.:(:

MeanFish
04-05-2005, 12:18 AM
If you watched them on Saturday, "Nowhere to Run" would be more appropriate.:(:

Speaking of the Brewers, are they using Panama?

Irishsox1
04-05-2005, 12:20 AM
The Van Hagar song flat out sucks!!!!!

They should use the song "Jailbreak" by AC/DC.

MeanFish
04-05-2005, 12:21 AM
The Van Hagar song flat out sucks!!!!!

They should use the song "Jailbreak" by AC/DC.

Jailbreak in the Cell? We want people to watch the game, not leave during the intro!:D:

shoota
04-05-2005, 12:34 AM
It was BEYOND awesome. Whoever did the editing on that should be commended. They had every significant highlight one could possibly think of packed into that opening video. Off the top of my head: They showed the clip of LaRussa throwing third base in that Orioles game from '83, Joe Cowley jumping after his no-hitter, Frank Thomas with Robin over his shoulder after Ventura's 7/31/91 grandslam off Gossage, a real quick Disco Demolition explosion, Jose's May '03 walkoff against the Cubs...it goes on and on. Lots of obscure stuff in there though.

Joe Cowley? Brian, isn't there a Joe Cowley in the media? If yes, is he the same Joe Cowley you mentioned? Did they show the highlight of Fisk tagging out two runners at the plate?

Didn't last year's player introductions have Crede take the field first? Who took the field first this year?

Right now seems more appropriate song for midseason for a team that is stuck in neutral or in decline. The lyrics are perfect for a team in need of motivation to salvage its season:

Now you gotta run to get even
Make future plans, donít dream about yesterday, hey
Címon turn, turn this thing around
Right now, hey
Itís your tomorrow

Catch a magic moment, do it
Right here and now
It means everything
Miss the beat, you lose the rhythm,
And nothing falls into place, no
Only missed by a fraction,
Slipped a little off your pace, oh,

Right now, hey
Itís your tomorrow.

Tell me, what are you waiting for
Turn this thing around.

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 12:36 AM
Didn't last year's player introductions have Crede take the field first? Who took the field first this year?Konerko

shoota
04-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Konerko

Thanks, and could you shed any light on last year's intro? Did Crede take the field first last season?

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Thanks, and could you shed any light on last year's intro? Did Crede take the field first last season?I don't recall. I think my eyelids were frozen shut.:(:

LauraJ14
04-05-2005, 12:48 AM
No the pitcher and catcher were first and then Crede.

shoota
04-05-2005, 12:48 AM
I don't recall. I think my eyelids were frozen shut.:(:

:D: I meant for the entire season, not just the freezing opening day. I thought I remember him being introduced first.

Anyone else?

shoota
04-05-2005, 12:50 AM
No the pitcher and catcher were first and then Crede.

I thought the pitcher was always introduced last, "[gene honda voice]and warming up in the bullpen, Mark Buehrle."

?

oeo
04-05-2005, 01:20 AM

I knew that was him when I was watching the game! He's awesome.

LVSoxFan
04-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Cheers to all of you who were there yesterday; I was too (first opening day ever!). BTW all those sailors who brought out the huge flag at the beginning? I was sitting in the middle of them, LOL.

But man o man was I disappointed when the starting lineup began--usually my favorite part of every Sox game. Last year, they would show the video of all the Sox greats from past to present, with the classical music. Then they'd fire up "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC, which was AWESOME. First half of the season, it would then segue into "Y'all Ready for This?" but second half it became "Let's Get It Started in Here."

And here we were, opening day, and it was all gone. The new video was boring, the music SUCKED, and what was the funnest opening montage in sports was gone. *** happened? Why fix somethin' that wasn't broken?

Anyone notice this?

DaveIsHere
04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
I didnt have any problems with them changing it, some of us Sox fans are never happy I guess

Kuzman
04-05-2005, 10:36 AM
I was slightly disappointed when I didn't hear Honda's voice at my first opening day. But its reassuring that what everyone around me was saying that he will be back.. there was talk he was gawn.

LVSoxFan
04-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Sorry I started a thread on this without seeing it, but the opening SUCKED.

First of all, that Van Hagar song is OLD and has been overused to DEATH for things like... sports montages. The old opening was awesome and something I looked forward to every time.

But that intro fell flat on its face--seeing it live--and I hope somebody changes it, and quick.

"Thundestruck" was simply awesome. What genius decided that needed to be fixed?

Palehose13
04-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Sorry I started a thread on this without seeing it, but the opening SUCKED.

First of all, that Van Hagar song is OLD and has been overused to DEATH for things like... sports montages. The old opening was awesome and something I looked forward to every time.

But that intro fell flat on its face--seeing it live--and I hope somebody changes it, and quick.

"Thundestruck" was simply awesome. What genius decided that needed to be fixed?

I disagree about the intro video. I thought this one was much better than last year and it really struck a chord. I did have a problem with "Right Now" as the song choice. The intro song needs to be more kick ass...the fireworks didn't seem to fit when they finished because of the song.

LVSoxFan
04-05-2005, 11:58 AM
It wasn't so much the video as the music.

And you're right: the fireworks usually were the climax after "Thunderstruck", but yesterday it all seemed really choppy and underwhelming.

mike squires
04-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Joe Cowley? Brian, isn't there a Joe Cowley in the media? If yes, is he the same Joe Cowley you mentioned? Did they show the highlight of Fisk tagging out two runners at the plate?

Didn't last year's player introductions have Crede take the field first? Who took the field first this year?

Right now seems more appropriate song for midseason for a team that is stuck in neutral or in decline. The lyrics are perfect for a team in need of motivation to salvage its season:

Make future plans, don’t dream about yesterday, hey
C’mon turn, turn this thing around
Right now, hey
It’s your tomorrow

Right here and now
It means everything

Right now, hey
It’s your tomorrow.

Turn this thing around.

I thought the same thing a few years ago, but it's a different Joe Cowley.

MtEverett
04-06-2005, 03:54 AM
The opening was very weak, I can only hope it was soley an opening day thing. It did not get the crowd exicted what so ever! IF they're gonna rock halen, at least let it be DLR.

Still craving the wills......"NNNNEEEEXXXXTTTTTTT"

wdelaney72
04-06-2005, 10:00 AM
You cannot seriousy diss Hagar fronting Van Halen. I agree that "Right Now" is a weak song, but let's not get carried away. 5150 and Carnal Knowledge are great albums.

Right NOw is SOOO overdone. I agree, bring back Thunderstruck or something else that has a bit more energy.

GregoryEtc
04-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Right NOw is SOOO overdone. I agree, bring back Thunderstruck or something else that has a bit more energy.

"Right Now" will always remind me of Crystal Pepsi..... remember that? what year was that like 1993? Their Super Bowl ad used Right Now. It was lame then. It's lame now.

FWIW, Comcast Sports Net used "Back in Black" for their intro before the game on Monday. It worked.

Jurr
04-06-2005, 12:56 PM

Make future plans, donít dream about yesterday, hey
Címon turn, turn this thing around
Right now, hey
Itís your tomorrow

Right here and now
It means everything

Right now, hey
Itís your tomorrow.

Turn this thing around.

All that damn song reminds me of is the flop known as Crystal Pepsi. And I have been trying to wash the taste of that crap out of my mouth for ten years. We need AC/DC at the park. Period.

Jurr
04-06-2005, 12:56 PM
:D: I meant for the entire season, not just the freezing opening day. I thought I remember him being introduced first.

Anyone else?
Crede was always first.

cbrownson13
04-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Are they still playing Carmina Burana before the player intro?

Jurr
04-06-2005, 01:29 PM
I would still rather see the new Sox intro than having to sit and watch the movie, "13 going on 30."

Horrible.

shoota
04-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Crede was always first.

Thank you.

FARMEO
04-06-2005, 02:58 PM

Yes, the video showed the highlight of Fisk tagging two Yankees out at the plate -I believe they were Dale Berra and Bobby Meacham. Best highlight ever!!