PDA

View Full Version : 38 Minor League Players Test Positive

NSSoxFan
04-04-2005, 05:48 PM
One White Sox on the list, Jose Espinal from Birmingham.

Dirty Deeds (http://espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/2005/0404/2029818.html)

BigEdWalsh
04-04-2005, 05:53 PM
:bundy "SEVEN Cubbies?!"

SluggersAway
04-04-2005, 05:57 PM
38 minor leaguers and only one major doesn't seem to add up.

SABRSox
04-04-2005, 06:06 PM
3 Kane County Cougars... for shame.

Unregistered
04-04-2005, 06:45 PM
wow, Damian Moss... he was pretty good for about 10 seconds.

And whats up with the dude from Kane County getting a 60 game suspension? Was he shooting up when they walked in the room to test him or something?

SoxxoS
04-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I must have missed the Kane County switch from the Marlins to the A's.

StillMissOzzie
04-04-2005, 09:15 PM
I must have missed the Kane County switch from the Marlins to the A's.

IIRC, 2005 is either their 2nd or 3rd year for the KCC as the Class A franchise for the A's

SMO
:gulp:

mealfred13
04-04-2005, 09:24 PM
wow, Damian Moss... he was pretty good for about 10 seconds.

And whats up with the dude from Kane County getting a 60 game suspension? Was he shooting up when they walked in the room to test him or something?

LOL, that's what i said, but seriously, it was his 3rd offense. What a moron.

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2005, 10:58 PM
LOL, that's what i said, but seriously, it was his 3rd offense. What a moron.It's not really a drug test. It's an intelligence test.

DiGiSyKo
04-04-2005, 11:37 PM
How does everyone have a 15 game suspension while David Castillo has a 60 game? Maybe he was caught before? :dunno:

Rocklive99
04-04-2005, 11:40 PM
How does everyone have a 15 game suspension while David Castillo has 60 a game? Maybe he was caught before? :dunno:

Thanks to the post above, it was his 3rd offense :redneck

DiGiSyKo
04-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Lmao...

FarWestChicago
04-05-2005, 01:32 AM
5 from the A's farm system. :o:

:fobbgod:

Hey, it's one way to get cheap talent!

Chrisaway
04-05-2005, 01:52 AM
I can see the Tribune headlines now...

CUBS ROUT DIAMONDBACKS!!!!

1 SOX MINOR LEAGUER TESTS POSITIVE FOR STEROIDS!!!!!
Piddly Sox offense barely holds off Tribe 1-0.

TomParrish79
04-05-2005, 02:23 AM
Talk about dropping the hammer.

GiveMeSox
04-05-2005, 02:40 AM
One White Sox on the list, Jose Espinal from Birmingham.

Dirty Deeds (http://espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/2005/0404/2029818.html)

There is something strange about these test and results. From what I heard in various media sources is that these steriod tests comeback positive for non-illegal steriods. Non illegal meaning federal law, still outlawed in basbeall i presume. Like going to GNC store and buying legal steriod supplement. Kind of like a prednisone, which is a steriod. I actually take prednisone daily to keep my sinuses strong enough to fight off infection. So i think its quite possible someone on prednisone, which is like $5 prescription, could test positive. Thats a little strange.

mealfred13
04-05-2005, 04:09 AM
Yeah I think this is kind of turning into a witch hunt. It's starting to seem like they're suspending guys for random supplements and then putting out headlines about them using "steroids." Where can we get a list of MLB banned substances? For all we know, they might be suspending guys for using Creatine or something....:?:

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Yeah I think this is kind of turning into a witch hunt. It's starting to seem like they're suspending guys for random supplements and then putting out headlines about them using "steroids." Where can we get a list of MLB banned substances? For all we know, they might be suspending guys for using Creatine or something....:?:This sounds a lot like the Jim Miller situation. Lots of over-the-counter supplements have stuff in them that is banned. Usually stimulants of one kind or another. The manufacturers sometimes change formulation and if you're not reading the label on every bottle you buy, you risk a violation. Tough. There is no testing program anywhere in which not knowing you've taken a prohibited substance is an excuse. And that includes "flaxseed oil". If you take it, it's your responsibility to know what's in it.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2005, 12:47 PM
According to the story seven of those players were in the Cubs organization.

Lip

NowBatting19
04-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Any chance Jose Espinal and Willy Espinal (Texas) are related?

Rocklive99
04-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Yeah, this over-the-counter situation was the same stuff I was talking about in the Sanchez thread. I didn't see the actual press release, so Morgan had a point on SNB when he said that the press release just says he violated the drug testing policy, everyone else is putting in steroids. I have no clue on why they didn't publicise what substance came up positive. Is technology not fast enough in this field to show what the test came up positive for, or is it just a general drug test that only says positive or negative?

daveeym
04-05-2005, 08:42 PM
There is something strange about these test and results. From what I heard in various media sources is that these steriod tests comeback positive for non-illegal steriods. Non illegal meaning federal law, still outlawed in basbeall i presume. Like going to GNC store and buying legal steriod supplement. Kind of like a prednisone, which is a steriod. I actually take prednisone daily to keep my sinuses strong enough to fight off infection. So i think its quite possible someone on prednisone, which is like $5 prescription, could test positive. Thats a little strange. First off, I just picked yours out of the many i could choose. But when you're tested, college or pro, you fill out a form, that asks what you've been prescribed and what you're "taking" i.e. over the counter supplements etc. Someone taking prednisone for sinus problems or any other banned substance for legit reasons will not get caught. maybe .01 percent of people are dumb enough to not list something legit that would make them "caught." As someone said it's probably stimulants in a lot of cases but these guys get the "memo's" and are regularly informed by trainers etc if something knowlingly can cause a problem that's being widely used. There is no excuse except for either ignorance (dr. prescribed but a bit unknown) or they're a moron. Yes there are stupid people out there that might not know better but the trainers and doc's are always available and listing everything these guys are on "legitly" before they take a test.

Also more than likely prednisone isn't a banned substance, I'm not the dr. here but we've had the discussion about anabolic v. cortico steroids, big difference in what they do and what's illegal.