PDA

View Full Version : 4 years $42 million for Ramirez?...

Tragg
04-04-2005, 06:02 PM
you've got to be kidding.

HomeFish
04-04-2005, 06:23 PM
It may well be worth it; this guy is going to be a stud for years to come.

Still, I'm disapointed that Aramis didn't get more. Now they may have payroll to actually afford other players. :(:

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 06:31 PM
It may well be worth it; this guy is going to be a stud for years to come.

In his short career he's been pretty inconsistant, so I'd give him a few years before I'd declare him the second coming of Mike Schmidt, but I think more likely than not this will end up a good move for the Cubs, but I definitely can't be all that certain of it.

shoota
04-04-2005, 06:53 PM
The Cubs argument that Ramirez should be open to signing a 3-year deal instead of the 4-years he wants, is so weak and insulting to Ramirez. The Cubs have said that since errormuch Ramirez is so young, that he shouldn't worry about cashing in an even MARKET VALUE 4-year deal, since by the time the Cubs 3-year deal expires, he will still be young enough to pursue a long-term deal at that point.

The Cubs didn't have much positioning with this contract since they have repeatedly said they wouldn't negotiate once the season starts, and AmRam would have been a free agent after this season, forcing the Cubs to have to compete with other teams offering him market value. This gave errormuch the leverage to get his 4-year deal that he requested, though I think 10.5 per year is less than market value for him.

Vsahajpal
04-04-2005, 07:43 PM

Why?

Tragg
04-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Why?
First of all, not that it makes any difference, the Pirates absolutely gave him to the Cubs. Why can't anyone give us a player?

I think 10 mill is a tad high for a player who's had 1 good year out of 3.

buehrle4cy05
04-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey, we will be laughing when that $42 million is on crutches, or is letting a ground ball through his legs in the 9th:bandance:

Fake Chet Lemon
04-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Ramirez can opt-out after '06. He made six errors in the spring thinking about all the money he was going to cash in on. He may reclaim his old nickname, E5.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-04-2005, 08:23 PM
First of all, not that it makes any difference, the Pirates absolutely gave him to the Cubs. Why can't anyone give us a player?

I'm certain they didn't want to trade him in the division, so he was available to us if we had just made an offer. But why would we, when we already have Joe Crede?

Vsahajpal
04-04-2005, 08:38 PM

I think 10 mill is a tad high for a player who's had 1 good year out of 3.

The Spos did give you Colon.

He had a terrific season in '01 and another great season last year. He had a horrible foot injury in '02 and yet he played through it.

When you consider what Glaus and Beltre received, I think the Cubs did pretty well.

Ramirez looks alright so far...

gosox41
04-05-2005, 09:56 AM

Just a quick question:

Would you rather have PK or Ramirez for 4 years/$42 mill?

Bob

daveeym
04-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Just a quick question:

Would you rather have PK or Ramirez for 4 years/$42 mill?

Bob Ramirez actually.

balke
04-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Aramis has the Cubs by the cajones. He could've gotten the 13-15 mil he reportedly wanted if he played hardball. If the CUbs lost another 3rd basemen after 03' both we Sox fans, and Cubs fans would be all over that organization.

He still has a great contract. Not only does he have the 5th year option, he can renegotiate his contract after I believe the 3rd year if he feels he's worth more on the market. The way he's progressed, I'm sure he'll be restructuring. I like him as a player a lot.

gosox41
04-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Ramirez actually.

Me too. Some think that Ramirez got to big of a contract (relative to the world of MLB not the real world.) But my gut feeling is that KW is going to sign PK for similar money and thus overpay for the guy a second time.

Bob