Hey-oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

South Sider
04-04-2005, 04:02 PM
undefeated season....here we come

oeo
:supernana: WOO!! :supernana:

Did you see Shingo's reaction? :redneck

Let's take it one game at a time, one at a time.

Frater Perdurabo
Small Ball!

MrRoboto83
first place already!!! ESPN don't know ****

Jurr
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
All I gotta say is that was prototype Ozzie ball right there. Great pitching, timely DP's, aggressive baserunning, and taking advantage of the other team's mistakes. Sounds great.

I love Gload's glove.

Fake Chet Lemon
I love that GREAT Cleveland offense we've been hearing about all Spring!!!!:D:

Hondo
Now that's how you do opening day!!!

Jjav829
04-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Nice job, Mark Buehrle! Truly a great outing to start the season. Give Westbrook his due, he pitched just about as well. But Buehrle was a little better!

White Sox winner! Good win! :bandance: :gulp: :bandance:

Jurr
04-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Hey...Westbrook was good, but we got the gloves, baby!!!

elrod
04-04-2005, 04:06 PM
That was one of the more entertaining games I've seen in a long time, period. I love 1-0 pitcher's duels. Every pitch can change the whole game. Buehrle was just amazing, and Westbrook was on fire too. I would have loved to have been there because these kinds of games are my absolutely favorite.

BTW, what is Mark Buehrle's WHIP? 2H 1BB in 8IN. 0.375 WHIP!!!

voodoochile
All I gotta say is that was prototype Ozzie ball right there. Great pitching, timely DP's, aggressive baserunning, and taking advantage of the other team's mistakes. Sounds great.

I love Gload's glove.

Say that last line 5 times fast.

Great win. The only run scores on a leadoff double, a sac fly and a sharply hit grounder that handcuffed the pulled in IF. Last year they would have lost this game...:)

chaz171
For a victorious White Sox opener.... Yes!!!!!!!!

gobears1987
That's A White Sox Winner!!!!

SoxWillWin
That's A White Sox Winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

LongLiveFisk
04-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Way to go, Buehrle!! :gulp:

Wish I could have been there...&#*@#! work! :angry:

I want Mags back
04-04-2005, 04:08 PM
SOX WIN

what an outing by Buehrle
8 innings just 2 hits outstanding

faneidde
04-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Good games by Konerko and Dye. Paulie hit it hard 3 times and Dye hit it well twice. Oh yeah, and that Buerhle fellow pitched amazing today.
Crede, Iguchi, Podsednik, and Everett looked terible. Iguchi was down 0-2 his first 3 at bats and Everett's swing is longer than it was during the spring.

Overall, good effort to start the year. Glad to be 1-0.

cburns
04-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I gotta say, I'm in a much better mood after opening day 05 than opening day 04.

ChiSox7
04-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Good games by Konerko and Dye. Paulie hit it hard 3 times and Dye hit it well twice. Oh yeah, and that Buerhle fellow pitched amazing today.
Crede, Iguchi, Podsednik, and Everett looked terible. Iguchi was down 0-2 his first 3 at bats and Everett's swing is longer than it was during the spring.

Overall, good effort to start the year. Glad to be 1-0.

Westbrook was 3rd or 4th in the AL in ERA last year. It's not like we were facing chopped liver. Iguchi also crushed one ball, just right at the 3rd baseman.

Baby Fisk
04-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Listening to the crowd whoop it up while Shingo was tossing those origami baseballs was AWESOME! :bandance:

DrCrawdad
04-04-2005, 04:12 PM
GREAT WIN!

I was ticked that Crede hit into that inning ending DP with a runner at third, hoped that run didn't end up costing the Sox a win. It didn't and I'm thrilled at the great win!

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:
:gulp:

Oh, and great that the Sox had a sell-out. Keep note of that fact when dopey Cubbie fans say, "The only time the Sox sell-out is when they play the Cubs..."

Jurr
Couple of quick notes:

-Carl Everett did a great job working counts. He fouled off a lot of pitches, and that's going to help the power guys further down the lineup.

-Tadahito's got a little adjustment time ahead. He looked a little confused, but that will ease when he gets his nerves out of the way. It was his first ever MLB game, for God's sake!

-Buehrle...wow.

-Podsednik on first absolutely terrified Westbrook. I believe they need to put Uribe in the 2 hole, due to the fact he loves fastballs. Whoever's in the 2 hole is going to get a steady diet of heat from the stretch with Pods on base.

Great Win!!!!!!!

mweflen
Iguchi will be fine. I watched him saturday, this guy knows how to hit. Everyone has a little adjustment coming out of Spring Training. Besides, as mentioned, Westbrook is a pretty darn good pitcher.

Who said Beuhrle didn't have #1 stuff? Woo hoo!

gf2020
04-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Thank god that we won today. The last thing I wanted do tonight was watch Baseball Tonight and hear a bunch of talk about how the Tigers and Indians are both serious contenders.

I loved watching Pods reek havoc once he got on base. Jason Westbrook was so paranoid. It was great.

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 04:13 PM
MARK BUEHRLE!

That just about sums up my feelings about this game. :D:

Lemme just say that it was 1000000x better than last year's debacle against Kansas City.

Iwritecode
04-04-2005, 04:14 PM

Great win. The only run scores on a leadoff double, a sac fly and a sharply hit grounder that handcuffed the pulled in IF. Last year they would have lost this game...:)

No kidding.

Dare I say that this win reminds me of about half the Twins games I saw last year? How many times have we seen them win a close 1-0 or 2-1 game?

daveeym
04-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Hey first big league game Iguchi seemed like he was just a bit agressive, nerves and excitement is all.

Jerome
04-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Burhle should win about 20 this year. And i LOVE how fast he pitches:smile: (I don't mean velocity, I mean how games take way less time when he's on the mound.)

Something I didn't like-

I didn't know Westbrook was this good. Was he this good last year? I though he started out good and then kind of faded.

Jurr
04-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Hey first big league game Iguchi seemed like he was just a bit agressive, nerves and excitement is all.
Absolutely. He'll be fine, though I'd still love to see Juan in the 2 hole. But, they say Iguchi is a great bunter, so he'd be very useful up there.

ChiSox7
04-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Burhle should win about 20 this year. And i LOVE how fast he pitches:smile: (I don't mean velocity, I mean how games take way less time when he's on the mound.)

Something I didn't like-

I didn't know Westbrook was this good. Was he this good last year? I though he started out good and then kind of faded.

Like I said above, yah he was really good last year. 3rd or 4th in the AL in ERA.

Bucky F. Dent
Great game by Buehrle.

Nice small ball in the bottom of the 7th.

Joe Crede, what ya doin man?

Undefeated, hot damn!:)

SoxEd
Great way to start the 2005 campaign - long may it continue!

fquaye149
04-04-2005, 04:19 PM
period.

superhuman healing abilities? check

opening day heroics? check

Baby Fisk
04-04-2005, 04:20 PM
period.

superhuman healing abilities? check

opening day heroics? check

The Stealth pilot has completed his first sortie. Beauty!

Jurr
04-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Totally off subject...but why is Radke starting today?????????????

mweflen
04-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Westbrook was 14-9 with a 3.38 ERA for a relatively mediocre Indians team last year. So he's obviously pretty darn good.

maurice
04-04-2005, 04:23 PM
It's a shame that Buerhle is an overpaid #3, that MLB caught up to Shingo, and that Cleveland is outstanding offensively.

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 04:24 PM
It's a shame that Buerhle is an overpaid #3, that MLB caught up to Shingo, and that Cleveland is outstanding offensively.

I know! Buerhle is clearly no better than a no. 3 pitcher and Shingo's done. Cleveland is clearly greatly improved from their 80 wins of last year.

skobabe8
04-04-2005, 04:25 PM
How much better does everyone feel today compared to last year at this time?!?
Cant wait until Wednesday!

The Racehorse
04-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Mark Buehrle is EASILY baseball's most underrated ACE pitcher...

... four straight opening day starts... led the league last year in innings pitched... leads all pitchers the last four years averaging 220+ innings pitched per season... he even has a hellacious pick-off move to 1B... the guy is a one man gang...

... and he just turned 26 years old! Time to lock him up long term...

... why he's not featured nationally is beyond me.

The Minimum Buehrle'] :bandance:

Shorty1983
Good job by ozzie replacing Gload in the 9th. Not to knock on Konerko defense but I don't think he would of made that play like the Gloadinator.

Sox win, now Illini needs to win! :D:

Ugarte
This is my first post, and what a place for it. This was a great game by the team, with one glaring exception:

Joe Crede

That double play he hit into really made me mad. He can't even hit a fly ball when the team needs it. I am tired of people defending him. He has no bat, and is clearly the weak link on this team. It reminds me of last year. I don't want to wait until he heats up (one defense for him), I am tired of hearing about his "potential" (another defense for him, and a word once described by Steve McMichael as French for "you're not worth a ****"), and he is not a great fielder as some say (above average I will grant). He is a consistent rally killer, with the exception of the couple of big home runs he hit last year. Those moments stand up in memory, but they are far outnumbered by the times he had a simple fundamental job to do and does not come through. He has had more than ample time to prove himself and failed. We need more at third base.

One other thing, can you believe how bad Comcast's coverage was???? They would go to video of someone's comments on opening day, and no audio. First pitch, you hear some guy very loud saying time of first pitch, temperature etc. over Hawk trying to start his commentary. Not to mention how many freeze-ups the screen had. It was far worse than even WCIU's coverage!

Back to the positive, great win, great attitudes today!!! When do playoff tickets go on sale???

gobears1987
04-04-2005, 04:27 PM
I know! Buerhle is clearly no better than a no. 3 pitcher and Shingo's done. Cleveland is clearly greatly improved from their 80 wins of last year.
:tealpolice:
"Is there a problem officer?"

ChiSox7
Sexson with a 3-run BOMB!!!! His first pitch.

Reed popped up....

M's up 3-0 in the first.

Jurr
In other news, the Mariners are teeing off of Radke (who already has an error)...Sexson went yard. 3-0 M's.

wmusox9
Great opening day win. Buerhle made that power hitting Indians team look like fools. Score that win ESPN crew zero, people who actually know baseball 1.

Go Sox
and Mariners for the next 3 days!
SEA 3 MIN 0 Bot. 1

I want Mags back
04-04-2005, 04:29 PM
When do playoff tickets go on sale???

lets not get cocky we still got 161 left

minastirith67
04-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Great game from Buehrle...simply amazing.

Let's go White Sox!!

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 04:31 PM
This is my first post, and what a place for it. This was a great game by the team, with one glaring exception:

Joe Crede

That double play he hit into really made me mad. He can't even hit a fly ball when the team needs it. I am tired of people defending him. He has no bat, and is clearly the weak link on this team. It reminds me of last year. I don't want to wait until he heats up (one defense for him), I am tired of hearing about his "potential" (another defense for him, and a word once described by Steve McMichael as French for "you're not worth a ****"), and he is not a great fielder as some say (above average I will grant). He is a consistent rally killer, with the exception of the couple of big home runs he hit last year. Those moments stand up in memory, but they are far outnumbered by the times he had a simple fundamental job to do and does not come through. He has had more than ample time to prove himself and failed. We need more at third base.

One other thing, can you believe how bad Comcast's coverage was???? They would go to video of someone's comments on opening day, and no audio. First pitch, you hear some guy very loud saying time of first pitch, temperature etc. over Hawk trying to start his commentary. Not to mention how many freeze-ups the screen had. It was far worse than even WCIU's coverage!

Back to the positive, great win, great attitudes today!!! When do playoff tickets go on sale???

Not to be picky, but Crede did start two DP's that were pretty damned huge in this game, the second one ended the Jndjans only threat of the day in the 7th inning with the score still knotted at zero.

Yeah, he sucked it up on the grounder that ended the 7th, but how come no one is mad at ARow for effectively doing the same thing but getting the benefit of a pulled in infield and getting lucky when the SS bobbled the ball (something that probably helped make Crede's easier to handle as good players rarely make two mistakes back to back like that).

Sox Win! and the rest is simply filler...:D::cool:

faneidde
04-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Reed popped up....

How could that happen? I thought he was never going to make a major league out, at least that is what Jeremyb1 told me.

TaylorStSox
04-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Not to be picky, but Crede did start two DP's that were pretty damned huge in this game, the second one ended the Jndjans only threat of the day in the 7th inning with the score still knotted at zero.

Yeah, he sucked it up on the grounder that ended the 7th, but how come no one is mad at ARow for effectively doing the same thing but getting the benefit of a pulled in infield and getting lucky when the SS bobbled the ball (something that probably helped make Crede's easier to handle as good players rarely make two mistakes back to back like that).

Nice post.

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 04:33 PM
:tealpolice:
"Is there a problem officer?"

Um... that is teal...:?:

TaylorStSox
04-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Let's not get too cocky guys. This Cleveland team's gonna be there all year. Hopefully, we'll be right in front of them. Plus, we need 1 more to take the series.

Ugarte
04-04-2005, 04:36 PM

BA: .310

I think that is why, and Aaron is a good fundamental player. Even great players can't get it done everytime. When players fail consistently in the situation is the difference.

MRKARNO
At 1 hour 51 minutes, I really doubt we'll see more than 3 or 4 games shorter than this game in the entire major leagues this year, and I am speaking of all 2420 games or so remaining....

WikdChiSoxFan
I've got to give props to Little Paulie and Little Aarond that were sitting behind me!!

Yeah baby!!!

Sox win!!! and I witnessed it from Section 540, row 10...1 down 161 to go...

Undefeated!!!!

Ch...ch...ch, ch, ch!!!

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Let's not get too cocky guys. This Cleveland team's gonna be there all year. Hopefully, we'll be right in front of them. Plus, we need 1 more to take the series.

Party Pooper...

Come on... live a little...

The Sox just one a game 1-0 behind solid defense, timely smallball and otherworldly performances from their ace and closer...

Un-De-Feat-Ed (Clap clap clapclapclap) :D:

mike squires
04-04-2005, 04:37 PM
This new guy that took Wills' spot

Sucks!!!!!!!!!!

Nard
04-04-2005, 04:38 PM
http://img18.exs.cx/img18/7212/feelsgood7ic.jpg

Look at the passion.

WikdChiSoxFan
04-04-2005, 04:38 PM
lets not get cocky we still got 161 left

161 wins that is....

SoxSpeed22
04-04-2005, 04:39 PM
That's A White Sox Winner!!!! Buehrle was awesome, got the runners over, timely hits, that's how to win! Let's hope for this all year. Ozzieball is for real this time.

BTW, :supernana: 100 For Me!! :supernana: :gulp:

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 04:39 PM
BA: .310

I think that is why, and Aaron is a good fundamental player. Even great players can't get it done everytime. When players fail consistently in the situation is the difference.

Actually, he is batting .000, but who's counting... oh that's right, you are...:?:

5-4-3
5-4-3

When you win a game by one run the little things matter and Crede started both of those crucial DP's and actually did it so well they wern't even close. That HAS to count for something...

WikdChiSoxFan
04-04-2005, 04:40 PM

Look at the passion.

I love you Shingo, could we maybe meet for coffee sometime!!!

I saw you pitch from section 540, but I think we've got something in common.....

LIKE A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!

Fenway
04-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Congrats to the Sox who wear their socks White :smile:

but we only 1 game behind in the Wild Card :cool:

http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/icons/CHW.gifChi. White Sox (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/CHW) 1-0 1.000 -

http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/icons/BOS.gifBoston (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/BOS) 0-1 .000 1

Jurr
04-04-2005, 04:43 PM

Look at the passion.

We could have so much fun quoting this one.

" I reeary happy right nooooooooowwwww!!!!!!!!!!!"

Soxzilla
04-04-2005, 04:43 PM
I'd cut Crede slack today because everyone was hitting ground balls all day, with the exception of Jermaine Dye.

And Crede, like voodoo pointed out, had two huge defensive double plays for the burly-mon. Just think if he had Brandon Inge patrolling the hot corner... we might not win that game.:smile:

Soxzilla
04-04-2005, 04:45 PM

http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/icons/CHW.gifChi. White Sox (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/CHW) 1-0 1.000 -

http://images.sportsline.com/images/mlb/icons/BOS.gifBoston (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/BOS) 0-1 .000 1

Wild card?

Sorry, we're in first.:redneck

Jurr
04-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Maybe my sig really has significance this year! So far so good!

Soxzilla
04-04-2005, 04:46 PM
BTW - No front page, and no headline links to white sox win from ESPN.com.

But hey, the cubs signed Aramis Ramirez, which is apparently, more important.:cool:

Jurr
04-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Did y'all know that Wilson Valdez is STARTING for the M's???????? Wow!

ondafarm
04-04-2005, 04:49 PM

Last year the White Sox won no games when they scored only one run. Thier lowest scoring victory was 2-1 against the Twins (Carlos Lee hit a homer with Frank aboard.)

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Last year the White Sox won no games when they scored only one run. Thier lowest scoring victory was 2-1 against the Twins (Carlos Lee hit a homer with Frank aboard.)

It's a brand new day...:bandance:

Baby Fisk
04-04-2005, 04:50 PM

Not so fast fenway -- we can all hear the fear and anxiety in your voice. ha ha ha!

The Racehorse
04-04-2005, 04:53 PM
We could have so much fun quoting this one.

" I reeary happy right nooooooooowwwww!!!!!!!!!!!"

Nice pic you uploaded. It just got added to my collection, thanks! :cool:

EDIT: My mistake, thank you Nard! [no offense Jurr :wink: ]

:)

ondafarm
04-04-2005, 04:53 PM
PTC has to be Buehrle !!!!

Jurr
04-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Nice pic you uploaded. It just got added to my collection, thanks! :cool:
Thank Nard for the great pic.

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 04:54 PM
PTC has to be Buehrle !!!!

What gave it away? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47587)

bafiarocks03
04-04-2005, 04:55 PM
YEA!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!! I was watching it at home, and my voice is almost gone! well and i was watching that awesome reds game! yea!!!!!

GO SOX!!!!!!

CHISOXFAN13
04-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Did y'all know that Wilson Valdez is STARTING for the M's???????? Wow!

You beat me to it. I just turned on the game and caught his name on the grounder to end the third.

Crazy.

Ugarte
04-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Actually, he is batting .000, but who's counting... oh that's right, you are...:?:

5-4-3
5-4-3

When you win a game by one run the little things matter and Crede started both of those crucial DP's and actually did it so well they wern't even close. That HAS to count for something...

I think I came off the wrong way, the play in question made my emotions run high. I am not one of those that says I don't like a player, so they can do no right.

Those were nice plays Crede made. I hope he does well, and I will still cheer for him every time he comes to bat. I still believe that he is a hole in the batting order, and I hope he proves me wrong. Interesting about Aaron Rowand, as doubted him after his stupid dirt bike accident and he certainly proved me wrong. I hope Joe does the same thing. He has had chances before, and I guess I just get upset about people who do not make the most of the opportunities they have.

It is great to see the team win a 1-0 game. Let's keep it up!

Unregistered
04-04-2005, 04:58 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2638
"That's 1-0, bitches."

shoota
04-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Please don't defend Crede's failures with the bat by praising him for starting two routine double plays.

IMO, if Crede didn't start those two double plays, he would have received errors. Mark Buehrle is the man most responsible for those two double plays.

But if you feel the need to praise someone's defense, IMO, Ross Gload made the best defensive play of the game.

Not only did Crede fail to score a runner from third with less than two outs, he grounded into a double play that prevented the next batter, Uribe, from having the chance at driving in that same runner with a two out hit. GBDP is the worst possible outcome in that scenario, and since that is what Crede did, he opens himself up to criticism of his failure.

Jurr
04-04-2005, 05:02 PM
You beat me to it. I just turned on the game and caught his name on the grounder to end the third.

Crazy.
You know Wilson's saying, "Take that, Pablo Ozuna!"

Jurr
04-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Look out!!! Sexson two homers...five RBI in the bottom of 3. M's 5 Twinks 0.

HomeFish
04-04-2005, 05:05 PM
The new player intros are weak. Bring back the old ones. Also, I hope this new announcer is just a temporary thing; Honda is down in St. Louis, right?

Anyway, it was a great game to be at. I was surrounded by Cleveland fans up in Section 558 (well, Cub fans in Indians hats), and, well, they didn't have much to cheer about. I did.

HITMEN OF 77
04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
I liked how Farmer ripped Steve Philips? of ESPN about 3 or 4 times about his remarks on the Sox.

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
I hope this new announcer is just a temporary thing; Honda is down in St. Louis, right?

Yes, he should be back on Wednesday.

Baby Fisk
04-04-2005, 05:11 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2638
"That's 1-0, bitches."
That 1-0 score was like the Sox giving a different kind of "digit" to the collective media. HELL YEAH! :cool:

The Racehorse
04-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Today's win is a sense of redemption... the national media will HAVE to mention Buerhle's underrated abilities... the media will HAVE to acknowledge the SOX winning via the small ball [validating KW's efforts]... just hearing the media acknowledging the SOX beating [their] Cinderella pick is going to be sweet...

... and last but not least, today's win erases some of the bitterness I swallowed
after sitting behind the SOX dugout in last year's opening day 9th-inning debacle in K.C.

Gosox1917
04-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Only got to see the first seven innings then I had a intramural softball game, but thank goodness for the radio. SOX WINNN!!! YESSS!!! Interesting side note, there were more people in the lounge watching the Sox game than the Cubs game right now. WHOSE THE BETTER TEAM?!?! SOX BABY!!! Great game and a great day. Now for some more dancing 'naners.:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Woo hoo! Only 70 more wins to beat Joe Sheehan's and Steve Phillips's predicted win total.

zach074
04-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Parking was horrible, i got there an hour early and we had to park at least a mile away, but guess who saved $17!:bandance:

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 06:01 PM
An absolutely supurb performance by Mark Buehrle.

As far as the offense....(crickets chiping) It needs a little work. Westbrook is not the second coming of Randy Johnson, Sandy Koufax and Nolan Ryan.

It needs to show more then it has shown the past week or so.

Go get em' Wednesday.

Lip

Brian26
04-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Just a quick word of advice... The Green Line is the best kept secret in Chicago! I passed about 3,000 people standing on the Red Line platform as I walked the few extra blocks to the Green Line. I got home in record time.

ChiSox7
04-04-2005, 06:11 PM
An absolutely supurb performance by Mark Buehrle.

As far as the offense....(crickets chiping) It needs a little work. Westbrook is not the second coming of Randy Johnson, Sandy Koufax and Nolan Ryan.

It needs to show more then it has shown the past week or so.

Go get em' Wednesday.

Lip

But he was the 3rd in the AL in ERA last year. He is a darn good pitcher. ANd he was on.

Brian26
04-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Didn't the Sox deserve a day like this (Gorgeous weather and a magnificent win) after the disasters that have occurred on the last two opening days in Kansas City?

Jjav829
04-04-2005, 06:13 PM
You know, I have a problem with the way some of these posts go. It seems the theme is, "Buehrle was great, the offense sucked." If you're going to credit Buehrle, then you have to give Westbrook credit. If you wanna say the offense sucked, then Cleveland's offense sucked too. Westbrook pitched a gem out there. Buehrle was just a little better. The difference was that Peralta couldn't make a play. I'm happy it happened to the other team. In previous years, that's the type of game where we'd lose. It would be Jose Valentin botching a grounder that allows a run to score with the Sox losing 1-0. We won. We faced a pitcher who pitched a very good game. On Wednesday we face Kevin Millwood and should score some more runs than today.

I'm just happy we won on Opening Day after last year's debacle. I'll give it a few games before I declare the offense inept or Joe Crede a horrible player.

Soxzilla
04-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Zambrano got tossed from the d-backs game.

What a hot-head.

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 06:16 PM
:tomatoaward

Jjav829
04-04-2005, 06:16 PM
You know, there's a game thread in Talking Baseball for all other baseball comments. This is a White Sox thread. Place all your other comments in the thread in Talking Baseball.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Jjva:

My problem is that Westbrook is no Mark Buehrle. The Sox should have tatooed him. If he is for real then Cleveland's pitching staff just got much better. (I don't think he is for real)

By the way the last time the Sox had a 1-0 win in the home opener was back in 1992. April 13th. Greg Hibbard beat Craig Swan thanks to an RBI double by Frank Thomas.

Lip

SoxxoS
04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Jjva:

My problem is that Westbrook is no Mark Buehrle. The Sox should have tatooed him. If he is for real then Cleveland's pitching staff just got much better. (I don't think he is for real)

Lip

EARTH TO LIP-

Although Buehrle is better than Westbrook...GUESS WHICH ONE MADE THE ALL-STAR team last year?

I'll give you two guesses. So to say the Sox should have tattooed him is fairly ignorant.

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 06:22 PM
EARTH TO LIP-

Although Buehrle is better than Westbrook...GUESS WHICH ONE MADE THE ALL-STAR team last year?

I'll give you two guesses. So to say the Sox should have tattooed him is fairly ignorant.

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5368.jpg

"I wish that making the All Star team was as big of an indicator of future success as you indicate! Then maybe I would have made 40 million this offseason instead of the puny contract I got with the Nationals!"

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Soxxos:

And who has a 'track record?' All Star games are meaningless... it's a popularity contest plus there is a lot of politics involved depending on who the manager is...just ask Frank Thomas and a number of Sox players about Joe Torre.

Try to use facts O.K. and not personal insults.

Lip

Jjav829
04-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Jjva:

Lip

He doesn't have to be Mark Buehrle. That still doesn't mean he isn't a good pitcher. Look at all the examples in this thread. He was an all-star last year with a very low ERA. The guy can pitch. He made some of the Sox hitters look bad. There's no way you can say the Sox should have tattooed him. IMO, there's few Opening Day starters that you can say should be tattooed. Westbrook isn't one of them. Just give the guy his due. You wanna find something to bitch about, you'll have plenty of opportunities to do so during the season. This isn't one of them, though. Westbrook is a good pitcher who pitched very well today. That's it. Give him his due, enjoy the win, and move on.

SoxxoS
04-04-2005, 06:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5368.jpg

"I wish that making the All Star team was as big of an indicator of future success as you indicate! Then maybe I would have made 40 million this offseason instead of the puny contract I got with the Nationals!"

KARNO, that wasn't the point. Come on.

Point being, Westbrook did make the all star team last year (who, by the way, is young enough with enough proven sucess to not be a one year wonder...KEY POINT)...so to think the Sox were going to score 7 runs on him in 4 innings is ignorant thinking.

PAPChiSox729
04-04-2005, 06:26 PM
EARTH TO LIP-

I agree. Plus, Westbrook was just on his game today. I know that bad hitters make pitchers look good, but it seemed that no matter who he was facing, he was looking good. His stuff was moving well and, for the most part, he was locating. Your not going to tattoo a pitcher when he is on his game. Thankfully for us, Buehrle pitched better.

Brian26
04-04-2005, 06:27 PM

Lip

Lip- Do your homework. Westbrook has a hell of an arm and is a solid pitcher.

JUribe1989
04-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Mark Buehrle Cy Young 2005! And no that should not be in deep pink.

Brian26
04-04-2005, 06:29 PM

Westbrook had a 3.38 ERA last year in 216 innings pitched. He's no slouch by any stretch of the imagination.

SoxxoS
04-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Soxxos:

And who has a 'track record?' All Star games are meaningless... it's a popularity contest plus there is a lot of politics involved depending on who the manager is...just ask Frank Thomas and a number of Sox players about Joe Torre.

Lip

What was the personal insult? As Brian said, do your homework because saying the sox should of tatooed him sounds ignorant.

Last I checked, Westbrook isn't very well known (and in a fairly small market like Cleveland) and still made the all-star team who isn't a household name. Looks to me like the 3.21 ERA in the first half did if for him.

chaz171
04-04-2005, 06:33 PM
A win, My friends A Win!!!!

Can we not split hairs over the state of Cleveland's starting pitching?

A Win!!!

A 2 hit shutout win!!!!!!

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 06:34 PM
KARNO, that wasn't the point. Come on.

Point being, Westbrook did make the all star team last year (who, by the way, is young enough with enough proven sucess to not be a one year wonder...KEY POINT)...so to think the Sox were going to score 7 runs on him in 4 innings is ignorant thinking.

That would be ignorant, but at the same time I think it's fair to expect more than one run on a poor defensive play by the Indians.

I didnt think coming into the season that he'd be able to repeat his success, but I guess I might be wrong. There were some bad indicators there, but he just might be as good as he was last year.

Kudos to him on the complete game 1 run loss as he pitched even better than the one run would indicate.

SoxxoS
04-04-2005, 06:35 PM
:notwinks

First place, game ahead of the Twins..they lose 5-1.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-04-2005, 06:36 PM
:twinslose :bandance:

SoxxoS
04-04-2005, 06:36 PM
That would be ignorant, but at the same time I think it's fair to expect more than one run on a poor defensive play by the Indians.

I didnt think coming into the season that he'd be able to repeat his success, but I guess I might be wrong. There were some bad indicators there, but he just might be as good as he was last year.

Kudos to him on the complete game 1 run loss as he pitched even better than the one run would indicate.

I did think we should score more than one run, just don't think we should assume about "tatooing" an All-star pitcher.

Dan H
04-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Buerhle is the best left hander to start for the Sox since the days of Wilbur Wood and Gary Peters. If the Sox need a big win, he's the man I want on the mound. Who cares about Prior and Wood? This guy is he best in Chicago right now.

Paulwny
04-04-2005, 06:41 PM
I did think we should score more than one run, just don't think we should assume about "tatooing" an All-star pitcher.

I don't know this answer, was any other tribe player selected to the AS team or was Westbrook chosen because the tribe had to have a reprsentative?

JUribe1989
04-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Too bad the Cubs are killing the joke of a team Diamondbacks. But for now it will be Sox win, Twins lose A PERFECT DAY. I also heard Maggs went 0-4. Wow that place was electric today. The jet fly-over was amazing.

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 06:46 PM

It appears that we're pretty much on the same page. I do not share the same belief as Lip does that we should do be tatooing Westbrook, but I was just saying that All Star appearances have no bearing on future success, something to which I'm sure you agree with.

California Sox
04-04-2005, 06:47 PM
The Tribe had several representatives last year. Including, I believe, Victor Martinez.

ChiSox7
Jjva:

By the way the last time the Sox had a 1-0 win in the home opener was back in 1992. April 13th. Greg Hibbard beat Craig Swan thanks to an RBI double by Frank Thomas.

Lip

You've got pretty high standards of our team and offense if you think we should tatoo a guy with the 3rd best ERA in the AL last year in over 200 IP.

Brian26
I don't know this answer, was any other tribe player selected to the AS team or was Westbrook chosen because the tribe had to have a reprsentative?

No, the Tribe also had Sabathia, Lawton and Belliard on the All-Star team last year.

MRKARNO
Who cares about Prior and Wood? This guy is he best in Chicago right now.

I might give the edge to Zambrano, but I'd say that Buehrle is better than those two. He's clearly better than Wood and I'm not so sure that Prior is going to be as good as Cubs fans keep proclaiming he will be. The one pitcher on that team that actually has developed a track record of success is Zambrano, but out of bias, I'll give the edge to Buehrle :D:

HomeFish
04-04-2005, 06:55 PM
No, the Tribe also had Sabathia, Lawton and Belliard on the All-Star team last year.

Cliff Lee also, no?

In any case, Lip, I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. The Indians have a lights-out 1-3 that is going to cause a lot of pain for Sox fans this year.

ChiSox7
04-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Cliff Lee also, no?

In any case, Lip, I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. The Indians have a lights-out 1-3 that is going to cause a lot of pain for Sox fans this year.

I'll agree with 1-2, one of which is hurt, but I'm not seeing the third? Millwood? Lee? Both were rocked last year, and in ST, not that ST means anything. It's not gonna help now that Millwood has to pitch to DH's now too.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Folks:

Brian says : "Lip- Do your homework"

I did my homework....here it is. (Apologies accepted at any time :smile: )

According to 'Hawk', Westbrook's ERA against the Sox last year was 4.7

In his career, his ERA against the Sox is close to seven!

I stand by my statement. He may be an All Star to the rest of the league but the Sox have owned him and should have again today.

Go get em' Wednesday.

Lip

NSSoxFan
04-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Folks:

According to Hawk, Westbrook's ERA against the Sox last year was 4.7

I stand by my statement. He may be an All Star to the rest of the league but the Sox have owned him and should have again today.

Go get em' Wednesday.

Lip

I agree with you Lip, except for the part where you say should have owned him. I think could have owned him is a better use of words.

jake27
anyone notice crazy carls stance? for his 1st pitch he had his normal last year closed stance then the rest of the pitches he had an open stance. mbaye it was just a brain fart.

samram
Folks:

According to Hawk, Westbrook's ERA against the Sox last year was 4.7

Go get em' Wednesday.

Lip

Well, his career ERA against the Sox is inflated because, IIRC, he made his major league debut in the Saturday game when the Sox swept the Yankees four straight in 2000. He gave up seven or eight runs in about 4 innings. He's a lot better now, obviously.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Samran:

Point taken....but how does that explain last year? Obviously he hasn't been fooling a lot of Sox hitters in the past.

Lip

faneidde
04-04-2005, 07:12 PM
I agree with that statement, and we really didn't "earn" our run, it was given to us by Johny Peralta. This Indians team reminds me a lot of the White Sox in '01. They are going to hit a lot of homers but their pitching, especially relief, and defense are going to do them in.

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Point taken....but how does that explain last year? Obviously he hasn't been fooling a lot of Sox hitters in the past.

Iguchi, Podsednik, Pierzynski and Dye were not on the team last year, so that could come into play.

Konerko, the hitter with the most previos success on the team against Westbrook, did go 2 for 3 against him today however...

Paulwny
Samran:

Lip

This maybe the normal development of a good young pitcher becomming better.

Rocklive99
To answer earlier questions, the Indians had 5 all stars last year, I remember there being a huge uproar about it. Westbrook (he replaced another pitcher), Sabathia, Victor Martinez, Matt Lawton, and Ron Belliard.

Even if they wouldn't of scored today, or scored 12, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. This is game 1 out of 162. There are plenty of ups and downs in a season, and good games and bad games. I watch every game but can't imagine obsessing over every thing that happens or if someone goes into a slump, it would ruin it for me. Great win today though, I love pitcher's duels.

In my eyes, the most important thing was the pitching. Buehrle did great, even after the original '4-6 week injury,' against, if you go by the "experts", a great hitting team that should be contending, and Shingo made 3 lefties look silly.

What are they saying if we are looking at ERA against a specific team, IIRC Buerhle also had a high ERA facing the Tribe?

Jjav829
anyone notice crazy carls stance? for his 1st pitch he had his normal last year closed stance then the rest of the pitches he had an open stance. mbaye it was just a brain fart.

Carl opens up his stance with 2 strikes. He's done that for a while now.

Soxzilla
04-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Samran:

Lip

A White Sox lineup that has consisted of players like Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, and Carlos Lee over the past 3 years.

To compare his career record against the White Sox of the past isn't fair since we have newly acquired talent in Jermaine Dye, Scott Podsednik, Tadahito Iguchi, and A.J. Pierzynski. You can also argue Carl Everett as well, since he's only played two half seasons with the Chisox.

Of course, I could omit facts too, in order to add sustanance to my cause.:cool:

ChiSox7
04-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Folks:

Go get em' Wednesday.

Lip

He faced us twice last year. In one start he gave up 6 runs in 5.1 innings pitched. In the other start, he shut us down, giving up NO earned runs in 6 IP.

While we certainly could have gotten to him like we did late last year, it was also viable that he shut us down just like last year. As evidenced by his THIRD BEST ERA in the AL last year, he can be dominating at times, no matter who he was facing. (Had a complete game shutout against a very good Baltimore hitting team last year).

CWSGuy406
04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Oyyyy.

We won the game, and we're still yellin' at each other.

Let's enjoy the win. The offense was off it's game today, but over the course of 162 games, that happens. Let's be happy that Mark Buehrle is awesome, and pitched one excellent game.

And, like Lip says, go get 'em Wednesday. :smile:

Young Gun
04-04-2005, 07:32 PM
I was impressed with Mark's accuracy today, it looked as if everything was in the strike zone or really close. It is only the first game of the year and I think the hitting will come together within the next couple games. I am excited for this year.

Go Sox!

-Young GUn

Fake Chet Lemon
04-04-2005, 07:45 PM
The new player intros are weak. Bring back the old ones. Also, I hope this new announcer is just a temporary thing; Honda is down in St. Louis, right?

Anyway, it was a great game to be at. I was surrounded by Cleveland fans up in Section 558 (well, Cub fans in Indians hats), and, well, they didn't have much to cheer about. I did.

I think every last one of us should own a St. Louis Cardinals hat.

Brian26
04-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Folks:

Go buy a baseball magazine, Lip. The guy was a workhorse last year with a super solid ERA (especially for the AL). The season ERA of 3.38 is a hell of a lot more important than an ERA based on two or three starts against the Sox (which have completely overhauled their lineup anyway).

chisoxmike
04-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Probably the best opening day I've been to, the weather was beautiful, the park looked great, the fans were really into the game, and holy **** Mark Buehrle. I got a bit nervous when Shingo came in, but what a great game. Westbrook pitched a gem too, if the Indians Defence didnt cough up some of those balls they still may be playing the game.

1-0 baby! :bandance: :bandance:
:gulp: :gulp:

Brian26
04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Probably the best opening day I've been to, the weather was beautiful, the park looked great, the fans were really into the game, and holy **** Mark Buehrle. I got a bit nervous when Shingo came in, but what a great game. Westbrook pitched a gem too, if the Indians Defence didnt cough up some of those balls they still may be playing the game.

1-0 baby! :bandance: :bandance:
:gulp: :gulp:

After the last two nightmares in Kansas City, I was a little worried bringing a reliever in for the 9th too....but all is good. It was a great day to be a Sox fan!

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2005, 08:13 PM
I was impressed with Mark's accuracy today, it looked as if everything was in the strike zone or really close. It is only the first game of the year and I think the hitting will come together within the next couple games. I am excited for this year.

Go Sox!

-Young GUnBuehrle is going to be a serious candidate for the Cy Young this year. He had an awesome spring and is carrying it into the season. Say what you want about the meaninglessness of ST games, but he wasn't throwing at cardboard cutouts. Those are real players all trying to get a hit, and he was all but unhittable for most of ST.

Buehrle is just approaching his prime, and he's going to be among the top pitchers in MLB for quite a few years to come. He might even make the Chicago media forget about a couple of fragile, overrated prima donnas on the other side of town.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 08:42 PM
No. 2:

Let's just hope he is one of the best pitchers in the game in two years with the Sox and not the Cardinals after his deal expires.

Lip

Whitesox029
04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Sox win=Life is good. Enjoy it for crying out loud! we got beautiful weather on top of that. I hope it's 45 degrees and raining starting on Friday all the way through next Wednesday.
EDIT: On second thought, it's not worth it for a whole week. I'll settle for 45 and rainy on Friday.

Bucktown
04-04-2005, 09:47 PM
How much better does everyone feel today compared to last year at this time?!?
Cant wait until Wednesday!
Amen to that. Replacing Shingo for the closer, whose name must not be spoken, should mean 10 more wins for this team and a lot more relaxation for us.

Bucktown
04-04-2005, 09:53 PM
I love you Shingo, could we maybe meet for coffee sometime!!!

I saw you pitch from section 540, but I think we've got something in common.....

LIKE A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!

I think he is old enough to be your Dad.

Hank Kimball
04-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Sorry,

Just saw the end of the Illini game, and intend to remain positive.

Hank

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 10:34 PM
That's the spirit!

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 11:01 PM
One thing Ozzie seems to be able to do very well is handle the pitching staff. He gets the most out of his pitchers without pushing them to the breaking point and then gives the most important outs to the best relief pitcher for that role. Kudos to Ozzie on this aspect of his managing!

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Was anyone listening to MJH after the game? Harry was criticizing Ozzie for bringing Shingo into the game and not letting Buehrle finish the SO. Good thinking, Harry. That kind of thinking is why YOUR team has it's two best pitchers on the shelf.

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Was anyone listening to MJH after the game? Harry was criticizing Ozzie for bringing Shingo into the game and not letting Buehrle finish the SO. Good thinking, Harry. That kind of thinking is why YOUR team has it's two best pitchers on the shelf.

That's also why Harry's sitting in a radio station booth and Ozzie's on the field managing.

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2005, 11:11 PM
That's also why Harry's sitting in a radio station booth and Ozzie's on the field managing.As a matter of fact, that's EXACTLY what Mac said to him.:D:

Shoeless Joe
04-04-2005, 11:19 PM
It was great being at the ballpark again, although I should have brought a sweater along, also the Fundamentals area looked great. Anyways, Buehrle's performance was expected, this guy is a true ace for us, and Shingo finished the job without a hitch as usual. In particular our defense was great, especially that diving pick by Gload. Our offense wasn't too spectacular but we mustered a run when we needed it the most. This was a fantastic start to the season and I hope we're able to rack up some more wins in this pivotal month.

OzzieBall
04-04-2005, 11:25 PM

That second double play you speak of was a huge turning point in the game. When Paulie and the boys were running off the field, he saw me in the crowd and flipped the ball to me. I now have a great memory of Opening day 2005

voodoochile
04-05-2005, 08:23 AM
That second double play you speak of was a huge turning point in the game. When Paulie and the boys were running off the field, he saw me in the crowd and flipped the ball to me. I now have a great memory of Opening day 2005

You got the second DP ball on opening day?!??!?!!:o::D:

Oh you lucky so and so... I am SOOOOO jealous.

wdelaney72
04-05-2005, 08:36 AM
I was ticked that Crede hit into that inning ending DP with a runner at third, hoped that run didn't end up costing the Sox a win. It didn't and I'm thrilled at the great win!

Ding Ding Ding!!!

Just when I was getting excited about these guys FINALLY "playing the game right", in comes Crede with a run on third AND ONE OUT. All he needs to do is hit a fly ball to the outfield.

I was livid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about the win, but Joe is not a rookie anymore. I wasn't able to see the game due to work, but I was following along on Gameday.

Did it look like Joe was swinging for the fences?

wdelaney72
04-05-2005, 08:40 AM
One thing Ozzie seems to be able to do very well is handle the pitching staff. He gets the most out of his pitchers without pushing them to the breaking point and then gives the most important outs to the best relief pitcher for that role. Kudos to Ozzie on this aspect of his managing!

As far as this game, Ozzie made the right call, but I'd hardly say his managing of the pitching staff is one of his strengths.

1) Last year playing musical closer at the beginning of the season, after repeatedly saying "Koch is my closer".
2) Allowing Koch to continue to close games and continue to lose them. Koch should have lost the closer title much sooner than he did.
3) Neal Cotts start

I like Ozzie as a manager and I think he'll do better this year, but let's keep things in perspective.

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Ding Ding Ding!!!

Just when I was getting excited about these guys FINALLY "playing the game right", in comes Crede with a run on third AND ONE OUT. All he needs to do is hit a fly ball to the outfield.

I was livid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about the win, but Joe is not a rookie anymore. I wasn't able to see the game due to work, but I was following along on Gameday.

Did it look like Joe was swinging for the fences?No, he wasn't swinging for the fences. And it's not that easy to just hit a sac fly any time you want to. The pitcher is no fool, and he's going to be pitching down to try to get you to put it on the ground. It's not as if Crede was the first guy ever to GIDP in that situation.

Palehose13
04-05-2005, 09:21 AM

That is exactly what I was thining when I was listening to the program. Buehrle had thrown 103 pitches, it's early in the season, and Buehrle missed a start in ST. Why push him and risk injury when he will be needed the most?

DrCrawdad
04-05-2005, 09:29 AM
No, he wasn't swinging for the fences. And it's not that easy to just hit a sac fly any time you want to. The pitcher is no fool, and he's going to be pitching down to try to get you to put it on the ground. It's not as if Crede was the first guy ever to GIDP in that situation.

You're right. Not to be overlooked is that Westbrook is a sinker ball pitcher, which makes a grounder more likely.

After the great performance by Buehrle I just hated to see that missed opportunity cost Mark a win. In the end the Sox won, and that's all that matters.

The Racehorse
04-05-2005, 10:43 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking when I was listening to the program. Buehrle had thrown 103 pitches, it's early in the season, and Buehrle missed a start in ST. Why push him and risk injury when he will be needed the most?

Yeah... in fact, I was [pleasantly] surprised Ozzie left Buehrle in for the 8th because of that very reason [pitch count and injury risk]. I thought for sure Marte would come in. My guess is since Buehrle was so smooth & efficient, and the game was so close, Ozzie left him in.

SSN721
04-05-2005, 02:37 PM
What a perfect day. Sox win, Twins lose, already a game up in the standings and leading the division. I was already joking at the game abou the comments on the post game thread would be. Didnt think it would turn into such a debate about Westbrooks pitching merits. He was on yesterday, nothign else to it. As was stated before if you give credit to Burlymon for pitching awesome you have to recognize how good Westbrook was yesterday too. I am still a bit suspect of the offense or at least Iguchi so high in the order when he might need some time to adjust. But not enough to not enjoy the win, and to still think it will all come together. I was happy with ehat I saw yesterday and it was great coming back to the ballpark. Its a White Sox WInner, lets at least enjoy it for a day.:D: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :gulp: :)