PDA

View Full Version : Carl Everett calls fans "Fly by night"

The Wimperoo
04-04-2005, 02:05 PM
In an interview with the Score's Zac Zaidman, Carl was asked about the lack of respect and attention the Sox have been getting this offseason. He said it doesn't matter what the media says because he doesn't pay attention to them, it doesn't matter what the fans say because they are "Fly by night". The only thing that matters is those 25 guys in the locker room. While I agree with that completely. The comment about the fans rubs me the wrong way.

Obviously Carl doesn't really understand this team's fanbase, because I would have to say that is probably the biggest insult someone could say to this fanbase. He sure doesn't read this website. :cool:

Fenway
04-04-2005, 02:08 PM
:rolleyes:

Now that is the Carl I remember

Jurr
04-04-2005, 02:09 PM
It's not the wisest thing in the world to put any validity into the stuff that flies out of Carl's mouth. However, as long as the ball is flying off of his bat, we'll all be happy.

NonetheLoaiza
04-04-2005, 02:15 PM
I would have to say with the past experiences he has had with fans, that is the reason he said that. You have to look at the context in which he says it. He knows Sox fans are passionate, but he is the kind of guy that plays for the team and for everyone in the lockerroom, not for anyone else. That can be a good thing....

Iwritecode
04-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Obviously the Chicago media has gotten to Carl already.

*Note obvious lack of teal

chaz171
04-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Goes Right in line with that Fun Lovin Ozzie Guillen.

In the Mid 1990's (96?) I recall hearing Ozzie indicating that the fans are not releveant because "we are playing for ourselves".

We should commend Carl Everett for trying to get that Club House Cancer stigma off of AJ by regaining his past title....

Soxzilla
04-04-2005, 02:28 PM
:rolleyes:

Now that is the Carl I remember

That's the fenway I know.:rolleyes:

I'll just pretend to reiterate what everyone above me said.

I doubt that is an intentional dig at white sox fans, just fans in general.

SluggersAway
04-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Obviously, there are "fly-by-night" fans associated with every team which is why we also have the term "fair weather fans." If you look on any message board there are fans ready to stick the knife into the back of any player/team who has one bad outing (Fenway's link to the Red Sox message board from last night's loss being the most recent example). It isn't smart for Carl to be talking about it, but we don't call him Crazy Carl for nothing. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

On the other hand, maybe Carl was talking about the "fly by night" used in England in the 1800's as a term for a type of light, two-wheeled carriage.

Uncle_Patrick
04-04-2005, 02:32 PM
I heard this on the radio, today. I took it as Carl's opinion on naysayers and doubters. I don't really get the big deal. He didn't say "All Sox fans are fly by night."

I guess some people are just more sensitive than me.

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 02:33 PM
That's the fenway I know.:rolleyes:

I'll just pretend to reiterate what everyone above me said.

I doubt that is an intentional dig at white sox fans, just fans in general.

Exactly, like it or not many fans are bandwagon fans. In addition most of the posters on these forums probably go to more games when the Sox are doing well than when they are out of the race in early July.

soltrain21
04-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Exactly, like it or not many fans are bandwagon fans. In addition most of the posters on these forums probably go to more games when the Sox are doing well than when they are out of the race in early July.

We also see "the sky is falling" posts all the time, and these are by fans dedicated enough to post on a message board!

Carl is right, he IS playing for the guys in the clubhouse. I see absolutly nothing wrong with that.

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 02:40 PM
We also see "the sky is falling" posts all the time, and these are by fans dedicated enough to post on a message board!

Carl is right, he IS playing for the guys in the clubhouse. I see absolutly nothing wrong with that.

If the whole team does that it will result in more "chemistry" and in theory more wins. Then ALL of the fans, "fly by night", "fairweather", "bandwagon" and "diehard" will be happy.

minastirith67
04-04-2005, 03:26 PM

Of course. Who wants to torture themselves with a losing team?

SOX ADDICT '73
04-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Of course. Who wants to torture themselves with a losing team?
Was that supposed to be in teal? If not, you just personified the "fly-by-night" mentality Carl was talking about. I hated the "Thick and Thin" Bulls promo, but it still rang true. Being a Sox fan is like being in a tumultuous but loving marriage; you take your lumps along with the good times, and you stick it out.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Man, I can't wait to get Frank back......

ma_deuce
04-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Man, I can't wait to get Frank back......
:everett:

"See, this is what I was talkin' about. Fake Chet Lemon is night flyer, and Carl doesn't care."

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Chaz:

As Dan Helpingstein explains in his book that comment from Ozzie was taken out of context. The entire comment was much different in meaning and as Ozzie explained in the interview it was said because some fans in Toronto were using racial terms towards Frank Thomas. Also the comments took place in 1995 after the labor impasse was settled, not 1996.

Lip

DickAllen72
04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
I heard this on the radio, today. I took it as Carl's opinion on naysayers and doubters. I don't really get the big deal. He didn't say "All Sox fans are fly by night."

I guess some people are just more sensitive than me.

You got it right. Some people may be trying to take Carl's remarks out of context. He was being asked about people who don't give the Sox any credit for their off season moves and therefore don't give the Sox a chance to win this year. He was referring to the media members who are saying this, and the fans who are saying this.

Those same fans who think the Sox don't have a chance this year because they traded away Lee, let Maggs go and got Podsesnik, Vizcaino, El Duque, Pierzynski, Iguchi, Hermanson, etc. will probably be back on the bandwagon should the Sox get hot. They'll also be the first ones jumping back off should the Sox falter. That's who he's talking about.

Dan H
04-04-2005, 07:36 PM
It's not the wisest thing in the world to put any validity into the stuff that flies out of Carl's mouth. However, as long as the ball is flying off of his bat, we'll all be happy.

I agree with this completely. The more this guy talks, the more I don't want to listen. But look who is calling who fly by night?

Palehose13
04-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Chaz:

As Dan Helpingstein explains in his book that comment from Ozzie was taken out of context. The entire comment was much different in meaning and as Ozzie explained in the interview it was said because some fans in Toronto were using racial terms towards Frank Thomas. Also the comments took place in 1995 after the labor impasse was settled, not 1996.

Lip

Thanks Lip. I knew he had it wrong, but wasn't exactly sure how.

Brian26
04-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Obviously Carl doesn't really understand this team's fanbase, because I would have to say that is probably the biggest insult someone could say to this fanbase. He sure doesn't read this website. :cool:

I'm pretty sure the Chicago media doesn't understand the fanbase either. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

PAPChiSox729
04-04-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm not worried. All I care about is that he performs on the field. If he doesn't, then I will start to question Carl. Besides, enough athletes these days just say what the fans want them to say. It is actually nice to see some honesty even though Carl's comment is pretty dumb.

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Man, to read this thread one would think no one here ever played. When I played, my teammates were ALWAYS #1, and I would be severely disappointed with any professional player who wouldn't put his teammates over the fans.

Soxfest
04-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Everett has always been about Carl and he really is not more than an average player

batmanZoSo
04-05-2005, 01:15 AM

Hell, I pretty much stopped watching in late August last year. I knew it was over and it hurt too much to watch. But I still cared and I never stopped posting here all winter, so...

soltrain21
04-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Everett has always been about Carl and he really is not more than an average player

Everett is not about Carl...he is about his team mates.

NSSoxFan
04-05-2005, 01:51 AM
Hell, I pretty much stopped watching in late August last year. I knew it was over and it hurt too much to watch. But I still cared and I never stopped posting here all winter, so...\

See, that is something I would never be able to do. As much as it hurts me everytime the Sox fall out of contention, I still go to game, let alone watch them on television.

To each his own I guess...

FightingBillini
04-05-2005, 02:34 AM
Was that supposed to be in teal? If not, you just personified the "fly-by-night" mentality Carl was talking about. I hated the "Thick and Thin" Bulls promo, but it still rang true. Being a Sox fan is like being in a tumultuous but loving marriage; you take your lumps along with the good times, and you stick it out.

Lets put it this way... I am a college student. I have very limited money. I will be a season ticket holder someday, but for now I can only afford to go to 6-8 games a year. When the Sox are in it, I will sacrifice things such as food, beer, and other necessities in order to attend more games. For me, there is NOTHING better than going to the Cell. I absolutely love it. When I am there looking at the beauty of baseball played on the magnificent Roger Bossard field, all is right with the world. I will go to games no matter how bad the team is, but I will go to more when the team is good.

mcfish
04-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Man, to read this thread one would think no one here ever played. When I played, my teammates were ALWAYS #1, and I would be severely disappointed with any professional player who wouldn't put his teammates over the fans.That doesn't mean you have to take a shot at the fans in the media. Crazy Carl now joins the disturbingly long list of Chicago athletes to take shots at Chicago fans for no reason over the past year:
1 All of the Chicago Cubs, notably Dusty Baker and others whining about the booing of Corey Patterson when he clearly deserved it
2 Michael Haynes
3 Crazy Carl
I'm sure I missed at least 1.
And for good measure: those Bulls commercials at the beginning of the year telling me that I wasn't a good person if I didn't spend all of my waking hours worring about a team that hadn't come close to a winning record in 6 years.

Whether Crazy Carl likes it or not, baseball is not only a game, it is also a business. Putting down your customers is not a smart way to operate a business, unless you run a business catering to people who like that sort of thing. It really annoys me to hear athletes say stupid things about the fans, especially considering how much crap Chicago fans have had to put up with recently - 6 years of crap from the Bulls, 10+ years of crap (sans 2000) from the Bears, 90+ years of drought from both baseball teams, and a hockey team that is too awful to even get into in this post.

D. TODD
04-05-2005, 03:50 AM
I have no problem with his comment. Everyone has an opinion, and if he takes notice of every fan or media-type and what they have to say it will tear a team apart. I don't think it is meant as an insult to fans, just a statement about focusing within the clubhouse and not on outside influences.

rdwj
04-05-2005, 09:09 AM
...it doesn't matter what the media says because he doesn't pay attention to them, it doesn't matter what the fans say because they are "Fly by night". The only thing that matters is those 25 guys in the locker room.

He probably could have said it better, but I agree with him. You can't worry about what the media says - we're all well aware of that! And many fans aren't much better. If the Sox play exciting ball - more "fans" will be in seats. If they lose, fans will hate them - you can't worry too much about it. Take care of the 25 guys in the locker room, and the rest takes care of itself.

34 Inch Stick
04-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Would you be insulted if an obviously insane person called you a name on the street? That is exactly the way I consider Hot Carl's comments about anything. He is amusing and I like to observe him from a safe distance.

LVSoxFan
04-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Carl's a little weird so who cares what he says?

As far as the "fair weather" accusation, I think Sox fans are just as passionate as those of any team. I take exception to the idea that because attendance drops off when the Sox are out of it (August, sometimes July), the fans suck.

No, the fans are voting with their feet. Cubs fans support their team no matter what, which is probably a big factor in why they've sucked for so long--there's no financial incentive to win.

Sox fans may be rabid, but they don't drink the koolaid like that, which in the end will make it more financially attractive--one would hope, we are talking JR here--to the owners to field a winning team.

Then again, this is Chicago...

Palehose13
04-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I have no problem with his comment. Everyone has an opinion, and if he takes notice of every fan or media-type and what they have to say it will tear a team apart. I don't think it is meant as an insult to fans, just a statement about focusing within the clubhouse and not on outside influences.

I took his comment the same way. Heck, most fans are "fly by night"...we usually call them "bandwagon fans". But wait...Illini basketball has ALWAYS had that many fans. I am glad that Carl is more worried about his teammates than the fans. If you had it the other way around, you would have:

:shammy

Infallible
04-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Burn Carl! The blasphemous crazed Carl has gone too far!!! BURN HIM I SAY!!!:angry: Big deal, this is the same Carl who was signing balls for the kids at the MILWAUKEE exhibition game on Saturday when there wasn't even a single Brewer out doing the same.

Sad
04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Carl:

hit the damn ball & don't worry about us...