PDA

View Full Version : *Offical* How do the renovations look thread

lths06
04-04-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm not getting home until 6 so, how do they look? Is the fundamentals deck a "monstrosity"?

mcfish
04-04-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm not getting home until 6 so, how do they look? Is the fundamentals deck a "monstrosity"?The fundamentals deck looks really good. I was surprised by how nice it looks. I didn't think it would be bad, but it was better than I thought it would be. There is not much more obstruction from the concourse and all of the seats are fine. Someone will post a picture soon I'm sure, but it just looks like a porch extended off the upper deck to me. Very well done.

HomeFish
04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Are you allowed into the FUNdamentals area if you're not a kid, or don't have a kid with you? I was in Section 558 today, and got a good look at it from above. When I walked up to the Upper Deck entrance for FUNdamentals, I got a very dirty look from the redshirt assigned to guard it and backed off.

HebrewHammer
04-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Actually the FUNdementals deck looked pretty cool. I was worried it would be an eyesore, but it works. It only covers about maybe a quarter of the LF concourse and the multi-levels looked pretty sweet.
I was fully expecting a group of WSIers to put their shoes on their knees and try to play some wiffle ball. Sadly, to the best of my knowledge this didn't occur.

Jjav829
04-04-2005, 07:15 PM
I wasn't at the game so take my opinion for what it's worth. By looking at it on TV, the fundamentals area looks fine. From what I saw, all those people who cried about it being an eyesore were wrong.

NSSoxFan
04-04-2005, 07:23 PM
The Fundamentals Deck looks excellent. It kinda fills in the left field area a little more if you know what I mean. I love the bricks. Big thumbs up on the scout seats as well.

Dibbs
04-04-2005, 07:26 PM
here is a couple pics....had to crop them a little to make the file size allowable. Not sure how to shrink the photo....

A.T. Money
04-04-2005, 07:31 PM
I thought everything looked great. The green bleachers, scout seats, and club level looked nice too. You can see they had some green seats left over because they did replace a couple of the non-scout seats around the plate.

HomeFish
04-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Dibbs, I can see myself in that flag picture you posted. Half of myself, rather.

Fenway
04-04-2005, 07:36 PM
from the Flubune

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-04/16993342.jpghttp://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-04/16993313.jpghttp://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-04/16993254.jpg

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Not being there, it's difficult to see but it looks like there's less of a "netting" over the field, could also just be that they didn't get to it yet..

LOVE THE PINWHEELS THOUGH!! HOPE THOSE GO OFF WHEN A HOMER HAPPENS!

lths06
04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Wow, the Fundementals deck looks awesome. Much better than in the computer-generated picture that whitesox.com posted a while back. I see that Jerry still got the advertising in too.

HomeFish
04-04-2005, 07:53 PM
I think they do.

Also, they now have a daily contest (well, every home game) where they give a kid 3 tries to hit a homer off a tee in the FUNdamentals area. If he hits one, he wins something.

kevingrt
04-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Renovations looked beautiful.... the scout seats were nice but the fundamentals area looked marvelous. O:nce again good job Sox brass

lths06
04-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Also, how did the scout seats look on T.V.? When they are using the "behind-the-pitcher view", does it look much better? Do you still see a tunnel?

jake27
04-04-2005, 08:03 PM
i thought the fundimentals would be nicer. from all the pictures, even the one in the drawing in the program, it shows that there would be dirt and real grass, its nothing but concrete. and through out the game not many kids were there, not many before the game either. the green seats look good from wahts in. it will look even better when all the seats are green.

Fenway
04-04-2005, 08:04 PM
looks much better on TV 100% improvement

oeo
04-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Also, how did the scout seats look on T.V.? When they are using the "behind-the-pitcher view", does it look much better? Do you still see a tunnel?

And yes, you still see a tunnel, but it's much, much smaller and you see people walking in and out of it. It's actually not centered totally on the TV but to the right side a little, so you still see fans back there. And yes, it looks WAY better on TV now.

whitesoxwilkes
04-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Eyesore? No. Looks great!

Pain in the butt for someone sitting in LF who keeps score and needs to see the lineups? Yes.

"Hey dude, what's the score?"

:bandance:

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Two things:

-The fundamentals deck looks pretty good asthetically and not as visually intrusive as a clone of the one in San Francisco, for instance (Coke bottle slide and all) might have been.

-Having seats and fans directly behind home plate makes watching the game on television a lot better than the open pit that we used to see from TV.

cheeses_h_rice
04-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Eyesore? No. Looks great!

Pain in the butt for someone sitting in LF who keeps score and needs to see the lineups? Yes.

"Hey dude, what's the score?"

:bandance:

That's my only beef about the Fundamentals area now -- even sitting almost behind home plate, I couldn't read numbers and parts of players' names on the scoreboard that shows the batting team's lineup. I was surprised at how tiny the actual diamond area is, and how huge the rest of it is, with multiple staircases, etc.

I couldn't see much of the Scout Seats, though, and though I tried, I could only locate one small area of the outfield with green seats; I was under the impression that more sections would have been converted by now.

And what was up with the broken up escalator between the 300 and 500 levels on Opening Day? Sheesh!

Young Gun
04-04-2005, 08:30 PM
I haven't personally been to the park since the rennovations but from what I saw on the TV they looked pretty good. I am looking forward to going there this year.

Go Sox!

-Young Gun

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Actually the FUNdementals deck looked pretty cool. I was worried it would be an eyesore, but it works. It only covers about maybe a quarter of the LF concourse and the multi-levels looked pretty sweet.
I was fully expecting a group of WSIers to put their shoes on their knees and try to play some wiffle ball. Sadly, to the best of my knowledge this didn't occur.:redface:

Hitmen77
04-04-2005, 08:40 PM
from the Flubune

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-04/16993342.jpghttp://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-04/16993313.jpghttp://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-04/16993254.jpg

Nice pics. An improvement over last year when the Cubune showed 2 photos taken behind posts in the upper deck as their opening day "renovation" pics.

Brian26
04-04-2005, 08:51 PM
The Fundamentals Deck looks gorgeous, and it really provides a great architectural transition from the high upper deck to the low concourse area. I wouldn't be surprised if they built something similar in the same area in rightfield...maybe some sort of multi-tiered party deck. I think it looks fabulous.

I noticed they weren't really hitting balls around during the game. I guess they were working on throwing and catching pop-ups. Maybe they don't want wiffle balls flying out of there onto fans during the game.

soxwon
04-04-2005, 08:57 PM
now do i have to worry about getting bombarded with wiffle balls as i sit in the lf stands.

that could prove annoying.

Palehose13
04-04-2005, 09:14 PM
now do i have to worry about getting bombarded with wiffle balls as i sit in the lf stands.

that could prove annoying.

I was in lf directly under it and the only ball that came flying out was the one "HR" the kid hit during the contest. A guy in the row behind me caught it and held it up...and then wasn't quite sure what to do with it. :smile:

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2005, 09:19 PM
I was in lf directly under it and the only ball that came flying out was the one "HR" the kid hit during the contest. A guy in the row behind me caught it and held it up...and then wasn't quite sure what to do with it. :smile:He's supposed to throw it back.:redneck

LuvSox
04-04-2005, 09:22 PM
The fundamentals deck looks incredible. The park now, imo, is absolutely beautiful.

I also dig the girls dancing on the dugouts and throwing t-shirts into the crowd. If they only wore a little less.............:bandance:

lths06
04-04-2005, 10:22 PM
The fundamentals deck looks incredible. The park now, imo, is absolutely beautiful.

I also dig the girls dancing on the dugouts and throwing t-shirts into the crowd. If they only wore a little less.............:bandance:

So are there cheerleaders now?:?:

Palehose13
04-04-2005, 10:35 PM
So are there cheerleaders now?:?:

I think he is referrign to the T-shirt toss girls that were there last year also. I am just thankful that we don't have anything like Milwaukee with the two chicks in between innings talking to fans, etc.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-04-2005, 11:20 PM
to be honest with u i didn't even notice, just focused on the game

jake27
04-04-2005, 11:37 PM
to be honest with u i didn't even notice, just focused on the game

it was between innings... the girls looked good looking :smile:

JohnBasedowYoda
04-04-2005, 11:40 PM
it was between innings... the girls looked good looking :smile:

i was reffering to the renovations, saw the t-shirt broads tho...and they looked tasty

DrCrawdad
04-04-2005, 11:55 PM
I think he is referrign to the T-shirt toss girls that were there last year also. I am just thankful that we don't have anything like Milwaukee with the two chicks in between innings talking to fans, etc.

The Sox did have something similar in the early days of The Cell. There was a goofy DJ who'd stand on the Sox dugout with a microphone.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
04-05-2005, 12:26 AM
that was Joe Stephen, and he was HORRIBLE.

GiveMeSox
04-05-2005, 12:28 AM
i thought the fundimentals would be nicer. from all the pictures, even the one in the drawing in the program, it shows that there would be dirt and real grass, its nothing but concrete. and through out the game not many kids were there, not many before the game either. the green seats look good from wahts in. it will look even better when all the seats are green.

Im sorry but I dont think the fundamentals deck is done yet. I mean its finished construction wise, but they haven't brought in the games and still have some touching up to do.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/ballpark/fundamentals_638x358.jpg

There is still a lot missing. They haven't painted the wiffle ball field, nor brought in the little bleachers. They haven't added the little refreshement cabana thing on the highest level closest to the upper deck concourse. They haven't brought in the batting cages and throwing areas yet either. While the strucuture is in place, after thurday when the sox leave town for 2 weeks I believe we will see them finish up the FUNdamentals deck.

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Im sorry but I dont think the fundamentals deck is done yet. I mean its finished construction wise, but they haven't brought in the games and still have some touching up to do.

There is still a lot missing. They haven't painted the wiffle ball field, nor brought in the little bleachers. They haven't added the little refreshement cabana thing on the highest level closest to the upper deck concourse. They haven't brought in the batting cages and throwing areas yet either. While the strucuture is in place, after thurday when the sox leave town for 2 weeks I believe we will see them finish up the FUNdamentals deck.The batting cages and throwing areas are there.

Jerko
04-05-2005, 12:39 AM
The fundamental area is nice, but it is HUGE. Dracula can live underneath it because he will never see the sun.

Jerko
04-05-2005, 12:41 AM
The batting cages and throwing areas are there.

Nice photo, but those huge columns are 30 feet closer to the field in real life.

WagMan
04-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Having just been at SBC park on Sunday and then returning to watch the home opener today, I liked what they have at SBC better (for now). The kids wiffle ball area at SBC has artificial turf and looks more like a mini-ballpark. I hope they finish the fundamentals area to be closer to the picture they posted on the website. I think it's a great improvement over the nothingness that was there. But it just needs a bit of fine tuning.
http://www.donotenter.com/cool/ucgraphics/small/page2/uc2_small22.gif

paciorek1983
04-05-2005, 01:06 AM
The fundamental area is nice, but it is HUGE. Dracula can live underneath it because he will never see the sun.

Good. I think I'd live under there. I hate the sun.

Gosox1917
04-05-2005, 01:48 AM

There is still a lot missing. They haven't painted the wiffle ball field, nor brought in the little bleachers. They haven't added the little refreshement cabana thing on the highest level closest to the upper deck concourse. They haven't brought in the batting cages and throwing areas yet either. While the strucuture is in place, after thurday when the sox leave town for 2 weeks I believe we will see them finish up the FUNdamentals deck.

I can't recall who posted it, but someone mentioned back in Early March they went to the stadium and talked to a construction worker who said it wouldn't be done by the Cubs/Sox series in June. I think he was right. From seeing it on television and the pics today, it doesn't look done. Maybe there will be more work to do. Either way, I like it. I'm gonna get my first look on Thursday. YES!

mcfish
04-05-2005, 03:50 AM
I hadn't really thought about it before, but it's going to be a huge problem for anyone sitting on the left side of the field now to see linups on the scoreboard. I don't like how they don't show both teams lineups all the time anymore - it'll be worse if I can't see either lineup.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-05-2005, 08:14 AM
I hadn't really thought about it before, but it's going to be a huge problem for anyone sitting on the left side of the field now to see linups on the scoreboard. I don't like how they don't show both teams lineups all the time anymore - it'll be worse if I can't see either lineup.

Wasn't there a comment made, eother public or on these boards, about moving the lineup to the far right side where the LaSalle Bank billboard is?? Or, am I just wishing that would be done?

wdelaney72
04-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Let me go on record to eat my previous words on this. I ripped it when it was announced, but after seeing it, I think it's really cool looking.

Great job by the White Sox organization.