PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf Interview - ESPN1000 - He's pissed!

mikehuff
04-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Anyone just hear that interview with Carmen and Silvy? I just caught the last half, but he says that he will never come on with them again.

For some reason he got really pissed at questions about Skiles and Guillen. Maybe I missed something earlier, but from what I heard, he came off as a real jerk. I don't know what Carmen and Silvy did to upset him.

Flight #24
04-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Wow. JR just on with Silvy & Carmen with a number of zingers, and IMO somewhat unfairly getting upset with the hosts at the end.

Comments include:

- Reiterating the $60/5yr, no deferrals offer to Maggs after the injury
- Calls Scott Boras a liar, recites a tale from mid-90s when Alex fernandez was up for FA and Boras told JR "Don't even make him an offer, he wants to test the market and see what's there, then we can talk". Fernandez signed with Florida and then lamented the Sox not even making an offer
- Says that if an agent says another club's made an offer, MLB has a policy by which the club can check and confirm that that offer was indeed made
- He doesn't have anything but veto power in hiring/firing coaches, that's the GM's call
- He doesn't negotiate with agents for managers & coaches. They can have any advisors they want, but he will deal with the person
- Owners have wanted a tougher steroid pllicy "but one person stood in the way, and that person is Don Fehr". He supports the policy as better than what they had previously, but if Selig decides they need a tougher one, he'd support that.

I didn't think that the questioning was all that harsh, but he got somewhat upset when they pursued the "we don't negotiate with agents for coaches" line - specifically inquiring about Phil Jackson (who JR said was the one time he went against that policy and "that was a mistake"). JR also implied that he'd been given some parameters for the interview and that he felt ambushed by the guys so he wouldn't be back on with them again. The hosts said after he left that they were not given any parameters for the interview (so maybe there's a disconnect there between producers & hosts).

Overall, I thought he came off pretty well until the end. But that end really made him look bad. He seemed pretty honest in answering questions, and certainly didn't pull any punches. I'd guess we'll be seeing some responses from Boras & Fehr.

EDIT: Countdown to merging of the 3 threads: 5.....4...3...

Unregistered
04-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Reinsdorf called Boras a liar and when asked for clarification he talked about how when Alex Fernandez was a FA at the end of the season, Boras told JR that Fernandez didn't even want an offer from the Sox until he saw what other teams offered. Sure enough, he was signed by the Marlins, and was hurt that the Sox didn't give him an offer.

When asked about the contracts of Ozzie Guillen and Scott Skiles, JR said "I'm finished with this line of questioning."

When asked about the biggest surprise, JR said "Coming on to this show thinking it would be a nice conversation about Opening Day, and getting bombarded by these questions. I fell for it once, and it won't happen again."

What a sensitive guy...:?:

skottyj242
04-04-2005, 12:24 PM
I guess two threads are better than one.

CHISOXFAN13
04-04-2005, 12:26 PM
I especially liked his comment about them not getting another bite out of the apple

I felt bad for Silvy and Carmen. None of the questions were out of line, IMO.

veeter
04-04-2005, 12:27 PM
JR may just not been in a good mood today and thought it was going to be a light conversation. I'm not necessarily on his side but for the most part I hate the media. Carmen and Silvy seem o.k. but all media can just get under your skin. JR should have just declined an interview today. Go Sox!!

chaz171
04-04-2005, 12:28 PM
hmm......

Wirtz is out of touch...
McCaskeys are out of touch...
The Cubune is out of touch...

Who used to own the Sting? I bet they were out of touch too!

My Karl-Heinz Granitza Jersey is not for Sale!!!

Realist
04-04-2005, 12:28 PM
I guess two threads are better than one.

Actually, I've counted 3 threads so far.

chisoxlady
04-04-2005, 12:30 PM
I heard the whole thing. It started off just fine with talk about the 2005 White Sox. It turned ugly when C & S dug up old stuff about the Maggs drama and Scott Boras....and then the contract stuff. JR is not good on interviews at all. He's not a diplomat and doesn't know a PC way to wiggle out of the questions he doesn't really want to answer. I don't like Mike North at all, but he does know how to interview JR.

Unregistered
04-04-2005, 12:31 PM
I especially liked his comment about not getting another bite out of the apple.

I felt bad for Silvy and Carmen. None of the questions were out of line, IMO. Yeah, when he was telling the Alex Fernandez/Boras story and about how none of his players have deferred/strange salaries (except for Thomas), I was thinking that JR seemed like a straight shooter. It seemed like he was telling it like it is, etc.

It seemed like as soon as he started talking about negotiating with an agent for Phil Jackson's contract, and how it was the last time he's ever talk to an agent for a manager, was when he snapped.

He must've thought he revealed too much, and was kind of tricked (easily, apparently) into talking too much.

Weird.

mikehuff
04-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Well, they mentioned that this is what the listeners were asking about so that's what they asked. That's the same idea that Mac takes to interrviews. My God it's just questions Jerry. It's starting to make sense why he has so many problems getting along with people. He seems to hold a lot of grudges. Add two more guys to the list.

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Well, given that it is opening day, he might have a point. I'm no JR apologist, but comes a point in time, you have to say, "Why today? Why now?"

Who knows what they told him they wanted to interview him about, but maybe just maybe they did sucker punch him and maybe he has a reason to be upset.

JR sucks, but today is about the team and the boys of summer and feeling good and sunshine and the crack of the bat and all that other stuff. Heck, maybe they could have asked him about the increase in payroll and the money that is still left to acquire more talent or his opinion on the job KW did in remolding the team's image and abilities including the veteran pitching acquisitions.

Flight #24
04-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Well, given that it is opening day, he might have a point. I'm no JR apologist, but comes a point in time, you have to say, "Why today? Why now?"

Who knows what they told him they wanted to interview him about, but maybe just maybe they did sucker punch him and maybe he has a reason to be upset.

JR sucks, but today is about the team and the boys of summer and feeling good and sunshine and the crack of the bat and all that other stuff. Heck, maybe they could have asked him about the increase in payroll and the money that is still left to acquire more talent or his opinion on the job KW did in remolding the team's image and abilities including the veteran pitching acquisitions.

Having listened to the whole thing, IMO I believe that he believed this was not going to be a serious interview, more just a lighthearted one. He really seemed surprised by some of the digging into his answers, although in fairness to the hosts, his answers were controversial enough that he made the followup questions pretty much obvious. When you say "Scott Boras doesn't tell the truth", you're begging for a followup.

Palehose Pete
04-04-2005, 12:45 PM
So I guess this means we've seen the last of Carmen on TV calling Sox games...

Baby Fisk
04-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Wild. A supposedly lighthearted Opening Day interview regresses into nastiness and acrimony. :?: To those who listened, who is more to blame?

a) that's the JR we all know and hate.

b) that's the Chicago media we all know and hate.

Unregistered
04-04-2005, 12:48 PM
So I guess this means we've seen the last of Carmen on TV calling Sox games......or on the radio in general. :o:

Randar68
04-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I heard the whole thing. It started off just fine with talk about the 2005 White Sox. It turned ugly when C & S dug up old stuff about the Maggs drama and Scott Boras....and then the contract stuff. JR is not good on interviews at all. He's not a diplomat and doesn't know a PC way to wiggle out of the questions he doesn't really want to answer. I don't like Mike North at all, but he does know how to interview JR.

Actually, I thought he was great in a TV interview segment with Bob Sirot on WTTW last year, but there may have been a more defined "script" for that, but they talked about some hot-point topics, so...

Unregistered
04-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Wild. A supposedly lighthearted Opening Day interview regresses into nastiness and acrimony. :?: To those who listened, who is more to blame?

b) that's the Chicago media we all know and hate.It seemed like C+S were just talking to JR - I don't think they realized that they were exiting the "perimeters" of the conversation. I think JR is super sensitive and has a gigantic chip on his shoulder.

It wasn't like they were saying "Jerry, we know you're a cheap douchebag, why don't you just open the pocketbook and raise the payroll?'' They were asking seemingly innocent questions that if JR found inappropriate, he could have easily said "I can't really comment on that" and it would have been left at that.

Reinsdorf gets an "F" for this one...

wdelaney72
04-04-2005, 12:53 PM
I understand wanting to ask JR the questions Why today? My impression is that JR rarely will do an interview, so when you do get him on, you have to ask him while you can. Yet, I can understand being opening day, JR would have just wanted to talk about the upcoming season.

Sounds like someone's not telling the truth, though, 'cause I'm sure the parameters for the interview were set up front. Two things could have happened.

1) C & S didn't know the parameters for the interview: shame on them, they should know them.
2) C & S went around the discussed parameters: shame on them. Yeah, it may be what your audience wants, but that 's a sure-fire of alienating guests.

I for one am a fan of the Bulls and Sox, and WOULD NOT want to hear about contracts of managers. They're signed for the current seasons, I just want to worry about what's happening now.

Flight #24
04-04-2005, 12:54 PM

b) that's the Chicago media we all know and hate.

Personally, I'd say neither. Based on his answers, I found him fairly forthright and he didn't say anything that I really disagreed with. If you accept his contention that this wasn't supposed to be investigative at all, then I'd say that he played along pretty well by answering questions well and only got upset when they dug into some of his answers and made multiple followup questions.

That said, he did get upset rather quickly and did not respond well publicly. Even if he was upset, telling the guys on the air that that was their last "bite at the apple" was horrible PR. At least do it off the air, JR.

Unregistered
04-04-2005, 12:55 PM
I understand wanting to ask JR the questions Why today? My impression is that JR rarely will do an interview, so when you do get him on, you have to ask him while you can. Yet, I can understand being opening day, JR would have just wanted to talk about the upcoming season.

Sounds like someone's not telling the truth, though, 'cause I'm sure the parameters for the interview were set up front. Two things could have happened.

1) C & S didn't know the parameters for the interview: shame on them, they should know them.
2) C & S went around the discussed parameters: shame on them. Yeah, it may be what your audience wants, but that 's a sure-fire of alienating guests.

I for one am a fan of the Bulls and Sox, and WOULD NOT want to hear about contracts of managers. They're signed for the current seasons, I just want to worry about what's happening now. They even said after the interview that they weren't told anything about what they could and could not talk about, and that no parameters were discussed with them. Oh well.:dunno:

Jurr
04-04-2005, 01:27 PM
You know what? I'm tired of all the JR bashing. The man is going to look like a genius when the Bulls and Sox are in the playoffs---both totally under the radar.

Jjav829
04-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Congrats, Jerry. You came off like a complete tool. Not only did you throw a hissy fit because you didn't want to answer actual questions, then you had to throw it in Carmen and Silvy's face by saying you won't come on with them again. I have no great love or hate for Jerry. I'm fairly neutral on him for the most part. But I thought he came off as a complete ass.

Fenway
04-04-2005, 01:59 PM
WSCR just moved ahead in the flagship race.

WEEI just played parts of the interview....and Holley was laughing if JR thought that was tough he should try Boston.

No matter how you want to package it since JR and friends took over in 1981 they have seen the White Sox go from a nearly 50-50 split of the Chicago market to perhaps 70-30 Cubs ( or worse )

White Sox att 1980 1,200,365 att Cubs 1980 1,206,776

JR got lucky with the Bulls only because Portland went with Sam Bowie

1. Akeem Olajuwon (http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/greats/84/olajuwon.htm) Houston Houston
2. Sam Bowie (http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/greats/84/bowie.htm) Kentucky Portland
3. Michael Jordan (http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/greats/84/jordan.htm) North Carolina Chicago

The White Sox should dominate the AL central simply because they have far more resources than any other team because of market size. He and his partners bought the franchise for $19 million dollars... NINETEEN MILLION and it is probably worth at least 20 times that today.

He doesn't want to take the heat while going to the bank? Cash out for the sake of the baseball fans of the South Side.

A look back at what Jerry thought 5 years ago about $$$$$$

http://www.suntimes.com/savage/talk/jerry_reinsdorf.html

balke
04-04-2005, 02:26 PM
WSCR just moved ahead in the flagship race.

WEEI just played parts of the interview....and Holley was laughing if JR thought that was tough he should try Boston.

No matter how you want to package it since JR and friends took over in 1981 they have seen the White Sox go from a nearly 50-50 split of the Chicago market to perhaps 70-30 Cubs ( or worse )

White Sox att 1980 1,200,365 att Cubs 1980 1,206,776

JR got lucky with the Bulls only because Portland went with Sam Bowie

1. Akeem Olajuwon (http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/greats/84/olajuwon.htm) Houston Houston
2. Sam Bowie (http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/greats/84/bowie.htm) Kentucky Portland
3. Michael Jordan (http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/greats/84/jordan.htm) North Carolina Chicago

When does a team NOT get lucky in a draft? Its a DRAFT!!! Its an NBA Draft at that. You gotta be lucky to suck bad enough to get the #3 pick in the first place. That's an unfair statement IMO. And they still went out and got Pippen when other options were available, the Bulls have done well with their drafting. Of course there is "luck" its a freaking lottery pick.

Cubs attendance may have been the same then, I can believe it. I think the stadium change is the big reason things have turned around so much. I hate having "the cell" as a stadium, but I love the stadium itself. I like newer parks. If they could change the name back officially, and make it Commiskey Park of U.S. Cellular... or something like that maybe? It just seems that the stadium has been the biggest downer of the franchise to me.

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 02:31 PM
When does a team NOT get lucky in a draft? Its a DRAFT!!! Its an NBA Draft at that. You gotta be lucky to suck bad enough to get the #3 pick in the first place. That's an unfair statement IMO. And they still went out and got Pippen when other options were available, the Bulls have done well with their drafting. Of course there is "luck" its a freaking lottery pick.

Cubs attendance may have been the same then, I can believe it. I think the stadium change is the big reason things have turned around so much. I hate having "the cell" as a stadium, but I love the stadium itself. I like newer parks. If they could change the name back officially, and make it Commiskey Park of U.S. Cellular... or something like that maybe? It just seems that the stadium has been the biggest downer of the franchise to me.

Back then, there was no lottery and I am prety sure the Bulls lost a coin flip with Houston to get the top pick and ended up third.

Portland drafted Bowie because they already had Drexler and Tom Paxson holding down the 2-guard slot and didn't feel the need. If the Bulls get "lucky" and win that coin flip, they probably draft Olajuwan first - he was pretty much the top choice for anyone and everyone who knew basketball that year.

Fenway
04-04-2005, 02:43 PM

It is interesting to read Jr's words concerning USCF 5 years ago
"We don't have any definitive plans. We built a modern stadium with wide aisles and no obstructed seats, and I think it's a beautiful ballpark. The first year it was acclaimed, and then Camden Yards and Jacobs Field were built, and people came to like the retro look. But those ballparks have a lot of deficiencies, like obstructed seats.

The White Sox biggest problem is to get people to retry the new improved upper deck. All of us know people who sat up there once and said never again.

Still USCF is better than that fiasco in Detroit. Every single Tiger fan I know wishes they could go back to Tiger Stadium.

The national meda will fawn over Wrigley forever and soon it will be one of two remaining old parks as Yankee Stadium is the next to go.

MisterB
04-04-2005, 02:47 PM
The White Sox should dominate the AL central simply because they have far more resources than any other team because of market size. He and his partners bought the franchise for $19 million dollars... NINETEEN MILLION and it is probably worth at least 20 times that today.

Actually going by Forbes' recent estimates the White Sox franchise is worth $223M, just under 12x what JR & Co. paid for it (and worth just over 5x more when adjusting for inflation). By contrast, the Yankees under Steinbrenner, et al is worth 73x more (17x more adjusted for inflation). Obviously JR carries almost all of the blame for that figure not being higher.

balke
04-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Back then, there was no lottery and I am prety sure the Bulls lost a coin flip with Houston to get the top pick and ended up third.

Portland drafted Bowie because they already had Drexler and Tom Paxson holding down the 2-guard slot and didn't feel the need. If the Bulls get "lucky" and win that coin flip, they probably draft Olajuwan first - he was pretty much the top choice for anyone and everyone who knew basketball that year.

So we'd still have Olajuwan who won what 2 titles? I'm not sure how many he won. That's not 6, but we'd probably still dig some titles out of a team built around him. Its all fate/destiny/luck. You fight for the hire pick, and take the better of 2-3 evils... but what the players do from there is never certain. Like I said, we still had to get other players for Jordan to do what he did. If it wasn't him, maybe it would be Kobe or Shaq years later.

Its so weird to think of Jordan on another team. I still think that guy on the Wizards was a stunt double. He wore red and black too well.

balke
04-04-2005, 03:00 PM
The White Sox biggest problem is to get people to retry the new improved upper deck. All of us know people who sat up there once and said never again.

I've always been to scared to trek up there. My buddy says the 300 level is nice, especially if you wanna be kinda secluded so you can be obnoxious with some buddies, or if you wanna talk business. I kinda wish they would put a bar where they are putting the scout seats. Is it true Upper Level can't use the Bullpen Sports bar? There needs to be some more perks to sitting up there. I would do it if I had freedom to walk on the lower level and move to the bar if its cold or whatnot. Is that restaurant in upper Left Field open yet? Anyone know? Last I went it didn't look like you could get in there.

Fenway
04-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Would someone correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Blackhawks (Wirtz) sell the Bulls to JR just before the 84 NBA draft?

I do remember going to a Bulls game in 1981 and there could't have been more than 3,000 people there for a December weeknight game with Washington.

Fenway
04-04-2005, 03:07 PM
The first thing the new Red Sox ownership did on Opening Day 2002 was remove the gate that seperated the bleachers from the grandstand giving fans complete access to the park. That is something the White Sox have to do instead of making upper deck fans feel like second class citizens. No other MLB park that I have been in does this.

And to the beancounters on 35th St, it gives the people upstairs access to more cash registers during the game.

I've always been to scared to trek up there. My buddy says the 300 level is nice, especially if you wanna be kinda secluded so you can be obnoxious with some buddies, or if you wanna talk business. I kinda wish they would put a bar where they are putting the scout seats. Is it true Upper Level can't use the Bullpen Sports bar? There needs to be some more perks to sitting up there. I would do it if I had freedom to walk on the lower level and move to the bar if its cold or whatnot. Is that restaurant in upper Left Field open yet? Anyone know? Last I went it didn't look like you could get in there.

Unregistered
04-04-2005, 03:27 PM
The first thing the new Red Sox ownership did on Opening Day 2002 was remove the gate that seperated the bleachers from the grandstand giving fans complete access to the park. That is something the White Sox have to do instead of making upper deck fans feel like second class citizens. No other MLB park that I have been in does this.

And to the beancounters on 35th St, it gives the people upstairs access to more cash registers during the game. I'm pretty sure that people in the UD had complete access to the park from the day New Comiskey Park opened, but that changed after the KC 1st Base coach got attacked by that scumbag Ligue.

FoulTerritory
04-04-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that people in the UD had complete access to the park from the day New Comiskey Park opened, but that changed after the KC 1st Base coach got attacked by that scumbag Ligue.

Yeah, you're right about that. The Ligue attack is when they changed the rule and banned the UD people from the LD.

And FYI, upper deck people can go to the bullpen sports bar.

Fenway
04-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah, you're right about that. The Ligue attack is when they changed the rule and banned the UD people from the LD.

And FYI, upper deck people can go to the bullpen sports bar.

So if some rich drunk attacks somebody on the field from the lower level then what??

voodoochile
04-04-2005, 05:11 PM
So if some rich drunk attacks somebody on the field from the lower level then what??

Look, this is getting silly...

You ever tried to get from the Bleachers at Wrigley to the main concourse or vice versa? You can't.

You ever tried to walk down and walk around at floor level without the proper ticket at the UC? You can't.

Plenty of LD tickets available. Go buy one and then you can walk wherever you want to, including the UD.

As to Balke's comments about being terrified of even going to the UD...:rolleyes:

Jerome
04-04-2005, 05:22 PM
I like Carmen and Silvy alot. I alwys listen to them (when no school) and I feel that they are always fair. THey are not insulting (Like B&B can be). But I have not known them to ask fluff questions. Carmen is a really smart Bulls fan and Silvy is a smart Flub Fan.

JR was probably expecting some Hawk Harrelson fluff and probably didn't want to discuss finances.

paciorek1983
04-04-2005, 06:17 PM
I had no problem with what JR said. I was a little surprised by it though. They could havwe asked those questions on another day(which now they won't get the chance) It's opening day--time for positive feel good questions. Oh I forgot, this is the media we're talking about.:(:

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Just a few points:

Fenway...the Bulls were run by a totally unworkable group of owners including George Steinbrenner (yep) and Lester Hunt (AFL founder and still owner of the Chiefs). It was such an unworkable group that ALL owners had to be called and agree on things such as trades which is why there were times when Jonathan Kovler, (acting spokesperson / part owner) had deals in place but never completed them because he couldn't get in touch with all owners. Steinbrenner was having lunch with Reinsdorf when Jerry mentioned that he'd like to get involved with the Bulls, Steinbrenner took that info to Lester Crown who called Jerry to set up a meeting. Eventually he got the majority ownership although people like Hunt still have a small percentage. George is totally out and he has called it one of the worst decisions he ever made.

As far as the 'fairness' of the interview. I don't know of anyone, save the President who is allowed to see questions ahead of time and set ground rules for an interview. Under NO circumstances would I even do an interview if I was told I could only ask certain things. I have serious doubts that a 'deal' was arranged ahead of time and the announcers didn't know about it through a miscommunication. Sorry that doesn't wash.

The questions were asked because the owner of the Sox and Bulls refuses to allow himself to be interviewed often so when the opportunity comes about you take it. As long as the questions were done in a professional manner and there wasn't an attitude on the part of the hosts there should have been no problem. Reinsdorf simply could have said 'I'd rather not discuss that...' something like that.

Just another situation where the owner is blaming everyone else from agents, to the media for issues that he created.

As far as Phil Jackson. The agent in question was Todd Musberger, Brent's brother. Reinsdorf hated him as much as he hates Scott Boras.

According to Pulitzer prize winning author David Halberstam in his book 'Playing For Keeps', Reinsdorf made a very unprofessional comment to Musberger during the Jackson negotiations. It was along the lines of (I cleaned it up for this post) 'You 'screwed' up your brother's deal with CBS and you're going to 'screw' up this one.' Then he flew out to Montana to negotiate with Jackson directly. (Shades of Horace Grant, Roberto Alomar etc...)

To his credit Reinsdorf admitted in the book that his conduct was very unprofessional and that he should have never made that statement to Musberger because it poisoned the negotiations and made it personal.

I am not surprised Reinsdorf 'lost' it today. He has shown a history throughout the years that if something isn't totally under his control he has problems.

The guy is a walking embarassment.

Lip

Fenway
04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Just a few points:

Fenway...the Bulls were run by a totally unworkable group of owners including George Steinbrenner (yep) and Lester Hunt (AFL founder and still owner of the Chiefs). It was such an unworkable group that ALL owners had to be called and agree on things such as trades which is why there were times when Jonathan Kovler, (acting spokesperson / part owner) had deals in place but never completed them because he couldn't get in touch with all owners. Steinbrenner was having lunch with Reinsdorf when Jerry mentioned that he'd like to get involved with the Bulls, Steinbrenner took that info to Lester Crown who called Jerry to set up a meeting. Eventually he got the majority ownership although people like Hunt still have a small percentage. George is totally out and he has called it one of the worst decisions he ever made.

OK I was confused because in the book Career Misconduct ( about Wirtz) it suggested that Wirtz wound up with the Bulls ( or at least a part of it ) simply because he would not give a lease to anybody else.

JR has done very well in life but at times I find it hard to believe he grew up in Brooklyn as he appears to have no street smarts. ( or at least PR smarts )

We in Boston had an owner in Harrington that spoke less to the press than JR and it was brutal. Course now the owner is liable to post on a fansite at 3 AM which is mind boggling. But also make no mistake that the Boston ownership CLEANED house at all levels. Sometimes you have to do that.

I think everyone here will agree that perhaps the worst owner in baseball maybe the Carl Pohlad in Minnesota but he at least hires good baseball people.

I'll be frank I don't like Jerry simply because he is too close to Selig. If JR thinks Selig is doing a good job as czar of the game can one really expect him to run his own franchise?

StillMissOzzie
04-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I only heard bits & pieces of C & S's interview with JR on MJ&H on the ride home from the game today. What I did hear was partially out of context and not necessarilly with the "flow" of the rest of the interview. That said, I feel the same way about C &S's interview with JR as I do about Jim Grey's interview with Pete Rose during the All-Star festivities a few years ago. Valid questions, but the wrong place and wrong time for them.

SMO
:gulp:

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Ozzie:

With respect, there is never a 'wrong' time to ask a perfectly legtimate question especially if said question is asked with the proper respect and not in a confrontational manner.

If Uncle Jerry thought otherwise regarding today's interview then he is being sadly naive and he should know better being that smart person that he is. (No that is not a rip...the guy is a brilliant businessman)

Lip

MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that people in the UD had complete access to the park from the day New Comiskey Park opened, but that changed after the KC 1st Base coach got attacked by that scumbag Ligue.

Even before the Ligue attack, the White Sox would close off the LD from the UD during big games such as the Cubs-Sox series and opening day.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-04-2005, 08:29 PM
You know what? I'm tired of all the JR bashing. The man is going to look like a genius when the Bulls and Sox are in the playoffs---both totally under the radar.

His Sox teams win one playoff GAME a decade. He's got a LONG way to go before he qualifies for genius.

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Ozzie:

With respect, there is never a 'wrong' time to ask a perfectly legtimate question especially if said question is asked with the proper respect and not in a confrontational manner.

If Uncle Jerry thought otherwise regarding today's interview then he is being sadly naive and he should know better being that smart person that he is. (No that is not a rip...the guy is a brilliant businessman)

LipSure you can ask any questions you want. But when you have someone on Opening day to talk baseball and you ambush him with a lot of other stuff, don't be surprised when he won't give you another interview. Almost every interview is granted with some (often tacit) understanding of what's going to be discussed, and you, of all people, should know that. When you go outside that understanding with your questions, you do it at your own risk.

I heard the whole interview driving down to the game, and I agree with Reinsdorf 100%. It's bush league 60-minutes-type stuff, and I was shocked that S&C stooped to that.

soxwon
04-04-2005, 08:53 PM
JR is great- i love the guy, screw those two lugheads
jerry rocks lol

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2005, 08:54 PM

And to the beancounters on 35th St, it gives the people upstairs access to more cash registers during the game.Actually, IIRC, there are MLB guidelines about "ticket discipline" and preventing people from one level from moving to the other. They're not mandatory, but after the Ligue attack, there was a lot of pressure put on the Sox from MLB and other teams and they pretty much had to go along and follow the guidelines. This was also not that long after 9-11, and people were still pretty jumpy.

And there are plenty of cash registers upstairs, too. One thing you can count on is if someone wants to give them money, they're going to have someone on hand to take it.

BainesHOF
04-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Reinsdorf needs to relax. My goodness, the hosts were just trying to talk sports.

Screw the Chairman.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 09:31 PM
No.2:

'Ambush'....interesting choice of words don't you think? From all indications and reports the parties were talking in a relaxed friendly manner. I don't think it was an 'ambush' in any way shape or form.

Seems to me like Uncle Jerry can't take the heat, all he wants to do is give it.

Asking the owner of the Chicago White Sox questions about the operations of his baseball team doesn't seem to me to be out of line at all.

Going outside the 'understanding' as you put it would be asking things that have no baseball relavance.

Things like, Jerry how much did you pay in income tax last year? or Jerry how is your relationship with your wife? That's going outside the 'understanding...' Not asking questions about his dealings with his All Star right fielder or other baseball items.

Seems to me Uncle Jerry simply didn't want to be put on the spot answering questions about how he runs his operation.

Me thinks he'd rather take 'softball' questions from 'Hawk' Harrelson.

Lip

Frank the Tank
04-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Would they have asked Cubs top management questions like:

1. Given their actual numbers are Kerry Wood and Mark Prior disappointments?
2. After the homicide across the street from Wrigley......
3. Criticizing Wrigley for falling apart.
4. Dusty Baker being a disappointment
5. Why are you scalping tickets to your own fans
6. Why did you chase Steve Stone out?
7. Why after knowing Sosa was on his way out didn't you sign a big FA
(list could go on and on)

In my experience with listening to Chicago sports talk radio in general, if Hendry was on the phone, all they would talk about is how great his is and how the Cubs are going to win the world series. Maybe JR over-reacted, but I'm glad.

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Going outside the 'understanding' as you put it would be asking things that have no baseball relavance.

Things like, Jerry how much did you pay in income tax last year? or Jerry how is your relationship with your wife? That's going outside the 'understanding...' Not asking questions about his dealings with his All Star right fielder or other baseball items.You mean like asking about Phil Jackson's contract negotiations, and Eddie Curry's status? Or Scott Skiles' contract? Would THAT be outside of the 'understanding'?

I know an ambush when I see it and an ambush is exactly what it was. An interview with the principle owner on opening day would normally concentrate on the team and its chances. Magglio's situation was in the relatively recent past, but what was the point of bringing up ancient history dealings with Scott Boras if not to just try to get him to say something "sensational"? It's bush league.

kaufsox
04-05-2005, 12:02 AM
You mean like asking about Phil Jackson's contract negotiations, and Eddie Curry's status? Or Scott Skiles' contract? Would THAT be outside of the 'understanding'?

I know an ambush when I see it and an ambush is exactly what it was. An interview with the principle owner on opening day would normally concentrate on the team and its chances. Magglio's situation was in the relatively recent past, but what was the point of bringing up ancient history dealings with Scott Boras if not to just try to get him to say something "sensational"? It's bush league.

the only problem is JR brought up the ancient history. Also, S&C asked about the future of both of the current coaches, not exactly "60 minutes" tough. Finally as the hosts were teasing the interview they said we're going to talk some Bulls and Sox with the Chairman. To be completely paranoid, I think JR did this on purpose to give him even more justification when he switches the flagship to WSCR. JR is a crotchity old man who needs to lighten up

MRKARNO
04-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Reinsdorf's probably not pissed now, seeing that his dear friend Roy Williams won the tournament. Doesn't that just warm your heart?

Jjav829
04-05-2005, 12:18 AM
You mean like asking about Phil Jackson's contract negotiations, and Eddie Curry's status? Or Scott Skiles' contract? Would THAT be outside of the 'understanding'?

According to Carmen and Silvy, they weren't told what to talk about. And really, why not ask these questions? If you're going to do an interview, do a damn interview. Don't lob softball questions. Who the hell wants to hear Reinsdorf talk about why Pods struggled last year? I know I don't and I bet most others feel the same. Kenny Williams put this team together. It's his job to answer questions on the makeup of the team and the future of the team. Reinsdorf is the chairman of one team going to the playoffs and one team Opening its season. I know everyone here is more excited about the White Sox, but the bigger story in Chicago right now is the Bulls, not the Sox. It's Carmen and Silvy's job to ask about the Bulls. To do any less would be not only a disservice to the listens, but a failure on their part as interviewers. Most of these questions were follow-ups anyway. They asked about the Boras thing to which Reinsy called Boras a liar. They asked why he was a liar. That's a necessary follow-up question. The first thing I thought when I heard Reinsy call Boras a liar is "Ask Reinsy why Boras is a liar." They did. Reinsdorf kept leading them into these questions and it's their job to ask the necessary follow-up questions. Reinsdorf was under no obligation to answer, but the questions still had to be asked.

batmanZoSo
04-05-2005, 12:19 AM

The upper deck is awesome now with that roof. It is the coolest seating area in the whole park, the only one with real character and beautiful surroundings. If you ask me, it makes the park everything that it is. I said it before, if you don't have season tickets, the best place to sit is in that UD right behind the plate. Go on a Monday for 8 bucks. Come on....

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 12:29 AM
According to Carmen and Silvy, they weren't told what to talk about. And really, why not ask these questions? If you're going to do an interview, do a damn interview. Don't lob softball questions. Who the hell wants to hear Reinsdorf talk about why Pods struggled last year? I know I don't and I bet most others feel the same. Kenny Williams put this team together. It's his job to answer questions on the makeup of the team and the future of the team. Reinsdorf is the chairman of one team going to the playoffs and one team Opening its season. I know everyone here is more excited about the White Sox, but the bigger story in Chicago right now is the Bulls, not the Sox. It's Carmen and Silvy's job to ask about the Bulls. To do any less would be not only a disservice to the listens, but a failure on their part as interviewers. Most of these questions were follow-ups anyway. They asked about the Boras thing to which Reinsy called Boras a liar. They asked why he was a liar. That's a necessary follow-up question. The first thing I thought when I heard Reinsy call Boras a liar is "Ask Reinsy why Boras is a liar." They did. Reinsdorf kept leading them into these questions and it's their job to ask the necessary follow-up questions. Reinsdorf was under no obligation to answer, but the questions still had to be asked.The Bulls may be a story, but it's the leadup show to opening day. Reinsdorf is reasonably entitled to assume they're going to talk baseball, and more specifically, this year's team. I sure would if I were in that situation, and he obviously was under that impression.

And the whole "Boras is a liar" stuff came about when they asked him about long-past dealings with him. What was the point of that? Reinsy probably could have handled it better by just steering the conversation back before it got so far off track, but anyone who's ever heard him knows he's not the most adept at interviews.

Jjav829
04-05-2005, 12:37 AM
The Bulls may be a story, but it's the leadup show to opening day. Reinsdorf is reasonably entitled to assume they're going to talk baseball, and more specifically, this year's team. I sure would if I were in that situation, and he obviously was under that impression.

And the whole "Boras is a liar" stuff came about when they asked him about long-past dealings with him. What was the point of that? Reinsy probably could have handled it better by just steering the conversation back before it got so far off track, but anyone who's ever heard him knows he's not the most adept at interviews.

True, it's Opening Day. But as someone pointed out earlier, Reinsdorf's interviews are few and far between. It's not like you just pick up the phone and give Jerry a call. They got a chance to talk to him and they're assuming anything goes. They started off with baseball, but the Bulls are a huge story. While Reinsdorf might not know a lot about the situation, it's not unreasonable to ask him about the health of one of the key starters on the team. The Phil Jackson question was a follow-up from when Reinsdorf talked about not dealing with agents for management. He mentioned making that mistake once. Well any decent reporter is going to ask what that mistake was.

The Boras questions are the type he's going to have to answer. Like I said, he's the chairman, not the GM. You don't go to the chairman to talk about how the team was put together. That's a nice little question to start an interview. It gives him a little time to talk about his view of the team, but ultimately that's not his area of expertise. The line of questioning should be concerned with ownership issues (management/players contract situations, etc.) not GM issues.

I saw nothing wrong with the interview. These asked good questions. I think Reinsdorf was expecting a fluff interview and when he got hit with real questions, he got overly defensive and belligerent.

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 12:42 AM
True, it's Opening Day. But as someone pointed out earlier, Reinsdorf's interviews are few and far between. It's not like you just pick up the phone and give Jerry a call. They got a chance to talk to him and they're assuming anything goes. They started off with baseball, but the Bulls are a huge story. While Reinsdorf might not know a lot about the situation, it's not unreasonable to ask him about the health of one of the key starters on the team. The Phil Jackson question was a follow-up from when Reinsdorf talked about not dealing with agents for management. He mentioned making that mistake once. Well any decent reporter is going to ask what that mistake was.

The Boras questions are the type he's going to have to answer. Like I said, he's the chairman, not the GM. You don't go to the chairman to talk about how the team was put together. That's a nice little question to start an interview. It gives him a little time to talk about his view of the team, but ultimately that's not his area of expertise. The line of questioning should be concerned with ownership issues (management/players contract situations, etc.) not GM issues.

I saw nothing wrong with the interview. These asked good questions. I think Reinsdorf was expecting a fluff interview and when he got hit with real questions, he got overly defensive and belligerent.I'm sure there was some discussion beforehand. Reinsdorf is no fool. He's not going to come on knowing he's going to get grilled on Scott Boras questions. We may never know what was agreed to beforehand. S&C said they weren't aware of any limitations, but that doesn't mean there wasn't some discussion by someone else along the lines of "Come on the show. It's opening day and people will want to hear from you." That would lead anyone to believe the interview will be about current baseball stuff. It was obvious that Reinsdorf was assuming that was to be the topic of discussion. He got that idea from somewhere.

paciorek1983
04-05-2005, 01:23 AM
It's OPENING DAY IN BAEBALL... You do a Q & a session about baseball and the postitves and concerns about the upcoming season and that's it. If C&S did a good job that way, they'd have other opportunities to ask him about the Bulls and front office stuff. Now they blew it.

balke
04-05-2005, 01:32 AM
As to Balke's comments about being terrified of even going to the UD...:rolleyes:

I didn't say terrified, come on now. But before last season I'd been to the new stadium like twice on family trips. I just got back in to baseball big, I've been away from Chicago til recently.

All I know is what my buddy says and I can't trust him. I am just indirectly asking around what you guys think of the upper deck, and whether you can get into a bar w/ those tickets. I usually end up w/ Row 1 sec 115-116 tickets or I get tickets right next to the bullpen, or I just get a single cheap ticket and go to the sports bar.

I'll have to check out the upper deck this season for sure. What's with that restaurant up there anyway? How's 500 level compare to 300 level?

voodoochile
04-05-2005, 09:21 AM
I didn't say terrified, come on now. But before last season I'd been to the new stadium like twice on family trips. I just got back in to baseball big, I've been away from Chicago til recently.

All I know is what my buddy says and I can't trust him. I am just indirectly asking around what you guys think of the upper deck, and whether you can get into a bar w/ those tickets. I usually end up w/ Row 1 sec 115-116 tickets or I get tickets right next to the bullpen, or I just get a single cheap ticket and go to the sports bar.

I'll have to check out the upper deck this season for sure. What's with that restaurant up there anyway? How's 500 level compare to 300 level?

Well, they changed the way the seating is labeled in the UD since I last went to a game (moved to NC in Feb 2004). But, any seat between the on-deck circles is great and really even past that if you aren't all that high up. Down the lines up high, I don't care for the view, but I like to actually see the baseball and those seats are pretty far away, though a pair of binoculars would probably solve the problem.

Is there a new restaurant in the 500 level? I didn't realize they had actually built it yet. Sounds cool. 300 level is cool, but nothing behind the plate which is where I prefer to sit. I don't think 300 is worth the price, personally compared to the value of the UD.

soxdave
04-05-2005, 12:20 PM
I heard the interview with Jerry on ESPN Radio. I still think Reinsdorf shouldn't talk to the press. Unless it's a snowball interview like Bob Sirrott on Chicago Tonight, Jerry just doesn't get it.

Maybe the Boras questions made him mad, but I don't see being asked about Ozzie and Skiles as an attack. The questions Sliverman and Defalco asked seemed pretty business as usual to me. I doubt Bill Veeck, Peter Angelos
or even Steinbrenner would have problems with those.

Conspiracy theory- WMVP payed a lot of dough to the Sox for broadcasting rights. The Sox rights are worth a lot of money, but it has been mentioned they overpaid considerably. My guess is they will come out with the big bucks to retain them.

Reinsdorf is still absolutely fuming over the hiring of Mariotti, even though he is gone, he holds a grude. Jerry has been on the score quite a bit lately.

My theory is money, he will use yesterday's interview as another example of being mad at the station. He will use this as a bargaining chip with WSCR.

He will make them pay through the nose and then move the Sox games over there.

If he doesn't like the offer, he can always act like he plans to stay on WMVP.

My guess is he wants to make that move

SOXDAVE

soltrain21
04-05-2005, 12:32 PM
I think Reinsdorf was thrown off the by the interview. I am pretty sure he thought it was going to be a little more laid back.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Jjava completely understands the situation (unlike some others... :smile: )

Well said.

Lip

tacosalbarojas
04-05-2005, 01:35 PM
JR may just not been in a good mood today and thought it was going to be a light conversation. I'm not necessarily on his side but for the most part I hate the media. Carmen and Silvy seem o.k. but all media can just get under your skin. JR should have just declined an interview today. Go Sox!! Carm and Silvy forgot rule #1 in any convo with JR...: "Never mention the name Scott Boras"! Seriously, I think that Boras question unnerved JR and put him on the defensive. Too bad because otherwise they were really lobbing up the softballs.

SOXSINCE'70
04-05-2005, 02:45 PM
"Jerry, we know you're a cheap douchebag, why don't you just open the pocketbook and raise the payroll?''

This is the $64,000,000.00 question that some Sox fans
(myself included) have been asking for the last 10 years!!:angry: :angry:

(Oops,used up most of this year's payroll.Sorry.)

PatK
04-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Does anyone honestly think that they would have done the same thing if it were Jim Hendry or someone else in the Cubs organization?

Fenway
04-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I noticed the Sun-Times all over the story

Radio hosts irk Reinsdorf (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-reins05.html)
Jerry Reinsdorf threw the first fit of Opening Day as the chairman of the White Sox and Bulls accused two hosts at WMVP-AM (1000) -- the flagship station for both teams -- of conducting an ambush interview Monday.

In the fishwrap known as the Flubune

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-050404bullsbits,1,2254978.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

an interview Monday with WMVP-AM 1000, the flagship station of his teams, White Sox and Bulls Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf was asked about the futures of manager Ozzie Guillen and coach Scott Skiles.

"Scott Skiles works for John Paxson, and Ozzie Guillen works for Kenny Williams," Reinsdorf said. "They have to make the decisions if they want them or not. I only have veto power. Neither Scott Skiles' nor Ozzie Guillen's contract is up. It's all very premature."

Guillen and Skiles are in similar situations in that their teams hold options for their services for next season. Bulls GM Paxson has said he wants his handpicked coach around "for a long time."

Keith Glass, Skiles' agent from his playing days and adviser since 1986, said Skiles doesn't want his contract situation to become a distraction for his players.

"We have no problem where we are now," Glass said. "Scott loves the team. He's as excited as can be about doing his job. Jerry is the owner of the team. He has no obligation to offer an extension. That being said, we have no obligation to accept one if we don't want to.

"We're not disturbed at all about negotiations. What has disturbed me is the idea we're pressuring in any way to get an extension. That's ridiculous. Scott's busy doing an absolutely incredible job."

Negotiations on an extension are expected this summer. The Bulls' rapid rise to success can only help Skiles' value.

The Bulls gave long-term deals to Tim Floyd and Bill Cartwright that left them paying multiple coaches at once. In that light, it'll be interesting to see if the Bulls offer Skiles long-term security.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2005, 07:42 PM
I find it interesting that Uncle Jerry (according to the story) answered the same questions for Mr. Hot Dog Man, Mike North. Hmmmm....interesting sense of priorities when perhaps the most bigoted, inane radio guy in Chicago gets answers but two guys who don't appear to be arrogant or abrasive get dumped on.

Lip

wdelaney72
04-06-2005, 09:38 AM
I read the same article. "Things that make you go hmmmmm.".

A couple of points:
1) I don't believe for 1 second that there were no parameters of the interview setup in advance. There had to have been SOME preliminary discussion of what they wanted to talk about.

2) I don't believe Carmen & Silvy were out to get JR. However, they should have exercised common sense in that it was opening day. A new team. A new look. That should have been the scope of the interview.

3) JR has planned to leave ESPN ever since Moronotti was hired. Although, I think C & S should have left the managers contracts alone, JR over-reacted, or he is using this as a justification in leaving 1000, which would be stupid. The fans could care less what station has the game, as long as it's on the radio.

The good news with all of this is if the Sox move to WSCR, that leaves less time for their talk shows - something most of us agree would be a good thing.

Dan H
04-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Unless, there was a pre-arrangement about certain questions not being asked or certain topics not being talked about, Reinsdorf comes across as real low class. I hate to see how pissed he would be if someone really questioned him hard. I am sick of him whining about the media. He makes some of his own problems.

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2005, 11:16 AM
I read the same article. "Things that make you go hmmmmm.".

A couple of points:
1) I don't believe for 1 second that there were no parameters of the interview setup in advance. There had to have been SOME preliminary discussion of what they wanted to talk about.

2) I don't believe Carmen & Silvy were out to get JR. However, they should have exercised common sense in that it was opening day. A new team. A new look. That should have been the scope of the interview.

3) JR has planned to leave ESPN ever since Moronotti was hired. Although, I think C & S should have left the managers contracts alone, JR over-reacted, or he is using this as a justification in leaving 1000, which would be stupid. The fans could care less what station has the game, as long as it's on the radio.

The good news with all of this is if the Sox move to WSCR, that leaves less time for their talk shows - something most of us agree would be a good thing.Of course there was some understanding about the subject of the interview, even if it was only informal. Reinsdorf is not dumb enough to come on the show knowing he's going to get grilled. So they want to put him on the hot seat to make themselves feel like big-time journalists? Fine. But Reinsdorf also has every right to not give them any more interviews if he doesn't like the way this one was conducted. So what, exactly is S&C's beef?

ChiSoxBobette
04-06-2005, 01:39 PM

Jr's not my favorite White Sox owner but I heard the show in question and why on opening day for the Chicago White Sox could'nt they ask him about just that , the 2005 White Sox, the New features of the ballpark, the addition of all the new players and the direction we are going in now as opposed to the past with a power hitting lineup, those green seats everyone keeps wishing for( just so everyone who was'nt there knows there are green seats in the scout seat area and the club boxes). No we talk about all of those old issues. To top all of that off you would have thought they we annoucing the opening day for the scrubs, cutting in every two minutes to get updates from Bruce Levine about Aramis Urethra or whatever the scrubs 3rd basemans name is, to interview the scrubs GM Hendry, to interview the new scrub announcer that took over for chip carey. The only thing they did pertaining to the White Sox was interview JR , about the Bulls, and before all the updates about the scrubs in Arizona tell eveyone that it was the White Sox home opener on what they, jokingly, referred to as the White Sox flagship station WMVP , JR sign us up on the WSCR.

dor92
04-07-2005, 09:02 PM
hmm......

Wirtz is out of touch...
McCaskeys are out of touch...
The Cubune is out of touch...

Who used to own the Sting? I bet they were out of touch too!

My Karl-Heinz Granitza Jersey is not for Sale!!!

Lee Stern was not out of touch, and Don Levin and the Chicago Wolves are without a doubt are not out of touch.

dor

Fenway
04-07-2005, 09:55 PM
I would love to see Mike and Mad Dog (WFAN) get JR for 15 minutes. THEN he would know what rough is.