PDA

View Full Version : Good New York Times article on our curseless Sox

SouthSideHitman
04-03-2005, 11:02 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/03/sports/baseball/03curse.html?pagewanted=1

I'm surprised no one's posted this yet because this article pretty much hits the nail on the head. It talks about how the Sox used to be a cornerstone franchise but have fallen out of popularity, even in Chicago, how we're second-class citizens in the Second City, how we reject the curse mentality, etc. etc. It sounds like an obejective, uneditorialized recounting of our current plight and from the paper of record, no less. Who'da thunk it?

SoxFan78
04-03-2005, 11:07 PM
for those who dont feel like registering for the username and password use "foouts"

ChiSoxRowand
04-03-2005, 11:08 PM
You have to register, could you post some of it on the site?

ChiSoxRowand
04-03-2005, 11:09 PM
for those who dont feel like registering for the username and password use "foouts"

Thanks

Unregistered
04-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Did she [a fan] think her team was cursed?

"No," she said. "No way."

It was pointed out to Kuzlik that she was standing beneath a mammoth poster of Jackson, who was being honored as part of the White Sox' all-century team. On the wall next to the ticket window was a framed display of a ticket stub from Game 1 of the 1919 World Series.

Kuzlik shook her head.

"Leave that stuff to the Cubs fans," she said. "Let them have their curse. We'll win in due time."

Damn straight. Good article that paints Sox fans as no BS, knowledgable people. Thumbs up.

Palehose Pete
04-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks for posting the article's link. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, especially the parts that referred to the Cubs' popularity as a relatively recent phenomenon in Chicago baseball history. Also, I am happy being a fan of the curseless Sox and like seeing pieces like the aforementioned in high-profile papers like the NYTimes. Perhaps after reading the article, other baseball fans will realize that it's OK to root for the Sox without having a gimmicky curse to draw them in.

Oh, and one more thing...

Wooo hoooo! It's baseball time, again!!!! :gulp:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-03-2005, 11:28 PM
I love the quote by Rowand:

"Inventing a curse now would be an excuse."

Take that, sCrUBS fans!

Rocklive99
04-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Speaking of NY, the YES Network previews Cleveland-White Sox

http://www.yesnetwork.com/ap.asp?ap_story_id=77417&is_local=

Palehose13
04-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Good article, but *** is this:

"The White Sox are really a small-market team in a big city," said the White Sox fan Rick Mikuta, 48, of Berwyn, Ill., as he ate lunch at Harry Caray's Restaurant in downtown Chicago in March. "The Cubs have every advantage - financial, media coverage, location." White Sox fans, stewards of the most unnoticed championship drought in baseball history, seem happy to leave their failures uncelebrated.

:?:

Rick, What are you doing at Harry Caray's?

DumpJerry
04-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Good article, but *** is this:

:?:

Rick, What are you doing at Harry Caray's?
Do we know Rick? Is he a fan of ours or a trolling Flub fan trying to get quoted?

Palehose13
04-04-2005, 12:09 AM
Do we know Rick? Is he a fan of ours or a trolling Flub fan trying to get quoted?

I have no idea who the guy is, but my guess is the latter.

DumpJerry
04-04-2005, 12:12 AM
I have no idea who the guy is, but my guess is the latter.
I think this is a job for......The Sox Army!

SOX ADDICT '73
04-04-2005, 12:33 AM
I think this is a job for......The Sox Army!
:churrosarmy:
"Your fugitive's name is Richard Mikuta: What I want out of each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in Berwyn!"

Medford Bobby
04-04-2005, 01:10 AM
:o: Boy I hope Rick avoided the spaghetti at Harry Caray's....:(:
Interesting perspective from the Old York Times..........:mad:
Contact me when Hustler magazine does a spread on mascots.....:redneck

SOX ADDICT '73
04-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Contact me when Hustler magazine does a spread on mascots.....:redneck
Pun intended?:noevil:

Baby Fisk
04-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Good article. Sometimes -- especially living far away from the south side -- White Sox baseball feels like the lonliest passion. :(:

Stroker Ace
04-04-2005, 11:38 AM
I think it's funny that the NY Times is giving the Sox more positive attention than the Chicago papers. Too bad I hate the times. Too left wing for my taste.