PDA

View Full Version : Sox Opening Day Story

Lip Man 1
04-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Folks:

Picked up one more bit of trivia after I had submitted the Sox Opening Day story to PHG.

It concerns 'Dummy' Hoy who was in the outfield for the first Sox Opening Day (in fact it was the first game ever played in the 'new' American League!)

Hoy was a deaf-mute who despite his handicaps would go on to have a long career in major league baseball but it was because of him, that a very big change was made... something that we take for granted today.

It was because he couldn't hear that umpires began using hand signals to indicate ball/strike, safe/out... that's the only way Hoy was able to know what the call was

Before this umpires merely vocalized the calls. Without those signals it would be virtually impossible today unless you were sitting near the field to know what was going on. The larger stadiums with the thousands of fans wouldn't allow you to 'hear' what the umpire shouted.

Lip

pudge
04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Awesome job with the historical look back Lip, thanks. I'm now sufficiently pumped to catch the first few innings on TV, and then shuttle over to Safeco to root against the Twinkies.

Medford Bobby
04-04-2005, 12:34 AM
:smile: I will tune to the M's game on TV and wear my Mariner's cap...let's beat the Twinks!!!! Man I hope it don't rain heavy like today....even with the roof closed it might feel a little chilly at Safeco........:whiner:

Medford Bobby
04-04-2005, 12:53 AM
me again..........

:D: I just enjoyed reading Lip's Opening Day article and just sent the link to my Dad to read as well...........:smile:

I shot home video at the last Opening Day back in 1990, but never recorded the actual TV version. Was that game shown on WGN or Sportsvision?? I did record that 1991 final Opening Day game at Baltimore on WGN if some one has a copy of the 1990 final Sox Opening Day to trade............:redface:

Lip Man 1
04-04-2005, 10:16 AM
The 1990 game was shown on WGN-TV. I took vacation that week from the station and watched it in Monroe, Louisiana.

Lip

Baby Fisk
04-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Awesome piece. Here's hoping for a future revision:

April 4, 2005: The World Championship season began on a sunny day at U.S. Cellular Field and Mark Buehrle launched his Cy Young campaign...

Paulwny
04-04-2005, 11:48 AM
As usual Lip, very interesting, good job.

pudge
04-04-2005, 12:41 PM
The 1990 game was shown on WGN-TV. I took vacation that week from the station and watched it in Monroe, Louisiana.

Lip

I was at that one, my favorite Opening Day by far.