PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Scoreboard Answer

Lip Man 1
04-03-2005, 09:52 PM
A week or so ago someone asked about the exploding scoreboard and when was the first time it went off. I said I'd check and the answer is below. Apparently it wasn't ready when 'Minnie' Minoso hit his two home runs versus the A's on Opening Day 1960.

With thanks to Bob Vanderberg, associate editor Chicago Tribune, Sox author, Sox fan and friend of WSI:

"April 19 was the opener that year.......... for some reason, which I can't remember now, the two leagues opened a week apart, the NL going first, on Tuesday the 12th......... the Sox were home vs. KC............ Minnie hit a grand slam and another homer to win the game in the 9th inning 10-9, but the board was not ready for action quite yet, although it did list the complete lineups and added a few things, but not the explosives or the "light show" ... they beat the A's the next day, then went to Detroit for the weekend, on to KC for games the 26th and 27th (maybe the 28th too) ......... then back home again that weekend,,,,,,,

I guesss they didn't hit any homers Friday or Saturday, but Smitty (Al Smith) homered off Jim Bunning in the Sunday DH opener (May 1) .......... and Smitty told the story how Nellie Fox, batting next after Smith (who was leading off that day, due to a slow start by Luis Aparicio), refused to shake Smith's hand as he crossed home plate............ he told Smitty, 'Look.I don't want to act too friendly toward you and help continue the celebration, 'cause I know I'm going down the first pitch as it is." Bunning had been storming around the mound, pissed off about the bombs expolding and the Hallelujah Chorus going off....... And sure enough, Bunning's frist pitch was at Nellie's head, and down he went...............

Anyway, yes, the board first went off Sunday, May 1, 1960."

Lip

skobabe8
04-03-2005, 11:41 PM
A week or so ago someone asked about the exploding scoreboard and when was the first time it went off. I said I'd check and the answer is below. Apparently it wasn't ready when 'Minnie' Minoso hit his two home runs versus the A's on Opening Day 1960.

With thanks to Bob Vanderberg, associate editor Chicago Tribune, Sox author, Sox fan and friend of WSI:

"April 19 was the opener that year.......... for some reason, which I can't remember now, the two leagues opened a week apart, the NL going first, on Tuesday the 12th......... the Sox were home vs. KC............ Minnie hit a grand slam and another homer to win the game in the 9th inning 10-9, but the board was not ready for action quite yet, although it did list the complete lineups and added a few things, but not the explosives or the "light show" ... they beat the A's the next day, then went to Detroit for the weekend, on to KC for games the 26th and 27th (maybe the 28th too) ......... then back home again that weekend,,,,,,,

I guesss they didn't hit any homers Friday or Saturday, but Smitty (Al Smith) homered off Jim Bunning in the Sunday DH opener (May 1) .......... and Smitty told the story how Nellie Fox, batting next after Smith (who was leading off that day, due to a slow start by Luis Aparicio), refused to shake Smith's hand as he crossed home plate............ he told Smitty, 'Look.I don't want to act too friendly toward you and help continue the celebration, 'cause I know I'm going down the first pitch as it is." Bunning had been storming around the mound, pissed off about the bombs expolding and the Hallelujah Chorus going off....... And sure enough, Bunning's frist pitch was at Nellie's head, and down he went...............

Lip

Thats hilarious! :D:

tebman
04-04-2005, 12:23 AM

Lip

Ahh, Big Board, we miss you, man...

It really was a hell of a lot of fun.

wilburaga
04-04-2005, 10:31 AM

Lip

Thanks for the follow-up. Very much appreciated. As Nellie learned back then and Mark McGuire et al learned more recently, it's not a good idea to tick off Jim Bunning.

W