PDA

View Full Version : Alex Sanchez tests positive for roids

ChiSoxRowand
04-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Per ESPNEWS. Maybe thats why Detroit released him.

NowBatting19
04-03-2005, 03:06 PM
They are now reporting on ESPN NEWS that Alex Sanchez - TB has been suspended for 10 days without pay after testing positive for steroids. And so it begins.

I wonder if Detroit suspected this and thus released him.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Wow! The first guy to get caught happened before opening day. That guy is a moron...

JUribe1989
04-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Wow, I used to like him too. He's gone from my fantasy team. How could players still be this dumb?

Banix12
04-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I never thought he would be the first one caught, but I did kinda think that the first one caught wouldn't be a big slugger.

Well it's been one strange offseason for him hasn't it. First he meets his family for the first time in like 11 years, gets dumped from the tigers a few days later, ends up making the final roster for Tampa and now he is the first official roid case to get caught in the testing

NowBatting19
04-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Mods...I see there is a thread in "Talking Baseball" if you want to combine.

Thanks

Fenway
04-03-2005, 03:18 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050403&content_id=998468&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball today announced that Alex Sanchez of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays has been suspended for 10 days, effective April 4, 2005, for violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

PAPChiSox729
04-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Kind of surprised me. I would have never suspected a guy with 4 career homeruns to be a steroid user. Sorry to see this happen, but hopefully it will send a message to everyone else.

Fenway
04-03-2005, 03:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2029037

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=tam) say Alex Sanchez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6739) has been suspended 10 days for violating major league baseball's steroid policy.

Alex Sanchez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6739)
Center Field
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6739.jpg

JUribe1989
04-03-2005, 03:28 PM
He was 3-5 with 1 RBI on July 31.
Those are his stats against us on July 31. We lost that game by 1. If you take await that cheating bastard's run he knocked in we really could have one that game and ended the big losing streak a day earlier. It maybe could have given us the jump start we needed. That really pisses me off.

Banix12
04-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Per ESPNews.

Sanchez claims that he never took roids and this occured because of milkshakes and pills he got over the counter.

So he's basically claiming he pulled a Jim Miller.

Soxzilla
04-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Those are his stats against us on July 31. We lost that game by 1. If you take await that cheating bastard's run he knocked in we really could have one that game and ended the big losing streak a day earlier. It maybe could have given us the jump start we needed. That really pisses me off.

Hindsight is 20/20.

The bat replacing him could have gone 5/5 knocked in 4 and we could have lost by 8 runs, sending us on a downward spiral and a finish under .500. Spurring a consensus to rebuild and trade away Konerko, Lee, and Buehrle.:redneck

JUribe1989
04-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Per ESPNews.

Sanchez claims that he never took roids and this occured because of milkshakes and pills he got over the counter.

So he's basically claiming he pulled a Jim Miller.

Yeah I didn't believe Jim Miller either.

Ol' No. 2
04-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Per ESPNews.

So he's basically claiming he pulled a Jim Miller.Were there Flintstone vitamins involved?:rolleyes:

dickallen15
04-03-2005, 04:23 PM
This is bogus. A guy with what, 4 career homers, gets suspended, yet muscle-bound roidheads will get through the testing unscathed. I will not buy this testing until a big-name slugger gets suspended. Palmeiro and Sosa tell Congress they have never done steriods. Do you really think it is baseball's best interest, at least as they see it, to suspend those 2 if they have a positive test?

Wsoxmike59
04-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Per ESPNews.

The milk shake has been an American classic for decades. Now it's back, and better than ever.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/baseball/mlb/04/03/bc.bba.sanchez.suspended.ap/t1_0403_sanchez_getty.jpghttp://www.kan-pak.com/products/graphics/milkshake.jpg

RKMeibalane
04-03-2005, 04:31 PM
I hope that Sanchez has another career lined up, because his career in baseball is over. This is only the beginning. There are probably several dozen similar cases that haven't been made public, yet. Regarding kittle42's post, I hope that MLB remains consistent when it's learned that big-name players have tested positive. It's easy to punish a player like Sanchez because no one's going to miss him once he's gone, but it takes some doing to go after a person like Bonds, Sosa, or Palmeiro.

Rocklive99
04-03-2005, 05:01 PM
So much irony! First off, the first guy caught with this new policy has 4 career home runs and just shows that anybody can suspected, you don't have to be huge. Also, so many experts and figureheads of MLB predicted no one using/getting caught, and the first person is revealed before Opening Night.

EDIT: I kind of believe him, is anyone that stupid to take steroids after all that has happened? Here's a quote from the article:

"I take some kind of stuff I buy over the counter. Multi-vitamin, protein shakes, muscle relaxers, that kind of stuff. Over-the-counter stuff. Stuff to give me energy," Sanchez said on Sunday in Florida. "I'm surprised because look at what kind of player I am. I never hit any home runs. I don't know. It surprised me."

He said he's going to appeal since he never took steroids. Who knows maybe the tests are faulty, similar to someone testing positive for marijuana if they have a hot dog bun from Portillos because of the poppy seeds.

Also, does anyone trust MLB in the releasing of these names? I'm not sure if they will be willing to release a name of a big name popular player, in the same nature that Selig believed when Corky said he used the wrong bat. Also, these players make a lot of money, who knows if baseball can just be payed off

TommyJohn
04-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Those are his stats against us on July 31. We lost that game by 1. If you take await that cheating bastard's run he knocked in we really could have one that game and ended the big losing streak a day earlier. It maybe could have given us the jump start we needed.

That's really s----t------r--------e---------t---------c-------h--------
i---------n------------g it!

fquaye149
04-03-2005, 05:47 PM
jeez i wonder who the summer spring and winter guys are going to be

because right now sanchez has the FALL GUY locked up.

MRKARNO
04-03-2005, 06:31 PM
This is bogus. A guy with what, 4 career homers, gets suspended, yet muscle-bound roidheads will get through the testing unscathed. I will not buy this testing until a big-name slugger gets suspended. Palmeiro and Sosa tell Congress they have never done steriods. Do you really think it is baseball's best interest, at least as they see it, to suspend those 2 if they have a positive test?

Maybe the problem is that our assumptions over who was actually taking steroids were incorrect. Maybe it wasn't the Palmeiros and the Sosas of the world who were really doing steroids. Maybe it was the electric reliever who used to thrown 95 but mysteriously lost their velocity. Maybe it was the scrappy player who was known mainly for fundamentals and speed like Sanchez. Maybe it was a soft-tossing lefty.

We just don't know as much as we would like to know about the true extent of steroids and I think with some of these suspensions that that idea that it was only 30+ home run hitters is going to be thrown out the window, but we shall see.

BridgePortNative
04-03-2005, 06:44 PM

The thing is, his testing was March 7 IIRC, which means all these people constantly go over the samples, so there could probably be more people tested positive, but the evidencejust isn't released yet. I expect big names being released.

(just a hunch, I have a feeling the Red Sox have some juicy players IMO)

Win1ForMe
04-03-2005, 07:02 PM
This testing policy is working.

The Racehorse
04-03-2005, 07:06 PM
'Alex Sanchez' is Selig-speak for 'sacrificial lamb'.

DumpJerry
04-03-2005, 07:16 PM
He said he's going to appeal since he never took steroids. Who knows maybe the tests are faulty, similar to someone testing positive for marijuana if they have a hot dog bun from Portillos because of the poppy seeds.
Urban myth time. It is commonly believed that poppy seeds will cause a positive result for Opiates (Herion). Opiates come from the poppy plant, hence the connection. You would have to eat 100's of buns to get a positive result. The number of poppy seeds in a bun or bargel will not give you a positive opiate result. I have friends who work in drug testing, they know what they are talking about.

There is a belief that the ingrediants in some sunscreens will cause a positive marijuana result. This, too, is highly doubtful.

fquaye149
04-03-2005, 07:24 PM
actually, according to snopes, a fairly accurate site, poppy seeds eaten in amounts actually humanly possible CAN cause positive results on drug tests.

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/poppy.htm

SluggersAway
04-03-2005, 07:54 PM
I highly doubt this guy tested positive for steroids, but rather some other banned "performance enhancing" substance. Baseball officials and the players' union agreed not to disclose the specific substance players test positive for.

Fredsox
04-03-2005, 08:34 PM
I highly doubt this guy tested positive for steroids, but rather some other banned "performance enhancing" substance. Baseball officials and the players' union agreed not to disclose the specific substance players test positive for.

Makes you wonder why, doesn't it? What is served by disclosing that the player was suspended for 10 days but not the banned substance. My guess is that this guy probably did test positive, but I wonder who is administering this testing and the publication of the results. If this is run by MLB directly I have to believe that there is the potential for abuse and selective disclosure i.e., let's suspend the not-so-famous-guy and let's hide the results of the big star.

Stroker Ace
04-03-2005, 11:17 PM
I believe Sanchez. You never know what's in some of these over the counter suppliments. Ephedra was in suppliments up until about two years ago, and we saw what that did. A company needs to get a list from the players of all of the supp. they use and test them for steroids. I bet at least 5%-10% of them will contain some type of steroid.

shoota
04-04-2005, 12:44 AM
I believe Sanchez. You never know what's in some of these over the counter suppliments. Ephedra was in suppliments up until about two years ago, and we saw what that did. A company needs to get a list from the players of all of the supp. they use and test them for steroids. I bet at least 5%-10% of them will contain some type of steroid.

Unrelated to your post, I think I remember a congressman rip Selig for STILL not having Ephedra on the MLB banned substances list.

Though my recollection may be incorrect.

Rocklive99
04-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Piedra is #2

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-drugs-piedra&prov=ap&type=lgns

Benjo
04-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Selig is taking out a major threat to baseball's integrity, Jorge Piedra.

NUCatsFan
04-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Unrelated to your post, I think I remember a congressman rip Selig for STILL not having Ephedra on the MLB banned substances list.

Though my recollection may be incorrect.

This situation may have just gotten a whole lot stickier.

From ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2037373)