PDA

View Full Version : ESPN "Expert" Phillips at it again!

tlebar318
04-03-2005, 10:56 AM
I was just watching SportsCenter and this idiot said the Twins have the best bullpen in the American League and the White Sox will be the biggest "backsliders" this year and will most likely win 72 games! :angry: He is quite the talent evaluator!:D:

zach074
04-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Under the radar! Even the players are getting into it, I forgot who it was yesterday maybe MB who said that they are under the radar.:bandance:

dickallen15
04-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Phillips does suck, but there are a lot of "experts" out there who are predicting similar things from the White Sox this season. With the improvement of Cleveland and Detroit, the schedule is a lot tougher than it has been in years. I don't know how ESPN can have a guy who assembled one of the worst teams in baseball on a $100 million+ budget, give "expert" opinions.

Fredsox
04-03-2005, 12:14 PM
I can't wait for Monday. It's put-up-or-shut-up for us and the Sox and I have a feeling we'll know real soon if this team is going to play with brass spheroids or not.

socko82
04-03-2005, 12:32 PM
This guy's been bashing the Sox all spring. A couple weeks ago on Mike & Mike this expert said Aaron Rowand was nothing more than a 4th outfielder and Juan Uribe just a utility infielder that the Sox were expecting too much of. This is the guy who had over a hundred million dollar payroll and couldn't finish .500 so I don't put too much into his talent evaluation.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Steve Phillips was fired by the New York Mets. That's all that needs to be said about him.

bigdommer
04-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Phillips does suck, but there are a lot of "experts" out there who are predicting similar things from the White Sox this season. With the improvement of Cleveland and Detroit, the schedule is a lot tougher than it has been in years. I don't know how ESPN can have a guy who assembled one of the worst teams in baseball on a $100 million+ budget, give "expert" opinions.

I'm not arguing anything you said, I just don't understand how Cleveland improved so much this offseason. They lost Omar Vizquel and gained Aaron Boone. They gained Juan Gone and then lost him to the DL (huge surprise). They picked up Arthur Rhodes and Kevin Milwood, both of whom were disasters last year in preventing their respective clubs from reaching the playoffs. I just don't see how they improved so much. At least DET got an MVP caliber OF and an All-star, world series winning closer.

Ol' No. 2
04-03-2005, 01:24 PM
From Phil Rogers' column (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0504030325apr03,1,712866.column?coll=cs-columnists) today.

The Indians are an interesting team, but from here they look more like a fourth-place finisher than a contender.

TDog
04-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Last year everyone was hot for the Royals.

FedEx227
04-03-2005, 02:23 PM
the best part of Phillips little 'expert' talk was his pick for NL MVP...

Alex Rodriquez

no, I'm not joking he said Al-then stopped himself then said Alex Rodriquez. and even funnier Rece Davis stopped and said "You sure its not Albert Pujols?" "Nope, Rodriquez"

AntoneSmith2
04-03-2005, 02:40 PM
:?::?:

ChiSoxRowand
04-03-2005, 03:18 PM
I was just watching SportsCenter and this idiot said the Twins have the best bullpen in the American League and the White Sox will be the biggest "backsliders" this year and will most likely win 72 games! :angry: He is quite the talent evaluator!:D:

What he said about the Sox is stupid, but he might be right about the Twins bullpen being the best in the AL. I say its between them, the Angels, and the Yankees.

SoxWillWin
04-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Ssdd

delben91
04-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Ssdd

^ = Post of the Week.

SOXSINCE'70
04-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Please remember,as pointed out earlier in this post,
that this dirtbag picked "Alex Rodriguez" as his NL MVP
when he meant Albert Pujols."Experts" are paid to give
opinions.And opinions,as the late great jazz drummer
Art Blakey once observed,"are like a-holes;Everybody's
got one". My opinion is that Steve Phillips is a horrible
evaluator of talent (he'd still have a job if the Mets had
not taned it the last 2 years).He is about as valid as a
dead fly on wallpaper to me.Screw him!!:angry: :angry:

I'd rather see the Sox fly "under the radar" for a while and
surprise a few teams.Then,when the naysayers try to jump
aboard the bandwagon,forget it.Tell 'em there's no damn room.
You're either with the Sox or against 'em.And if you're against
'em,don't claim to be a life long fan when they challenge for the
division,bee-yotch!!:angry: :angry:

TheBull19
04-03-2005, 04:52 PM
What he said about the Sox is stupid, but he might be right about the Twins bullpen being the best in the AL. I say its between them, the Angels, and the Yankees.

Texas might have the best pen in the AL, too. They're going to need it with that starting staff, though.

tstrike2000
04-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I think it's funny out of all the "expert" predictions on ESPN, only Rob Neyer picked the Sox to win the division. And a couple of people like Jayson Stark and Peter Gammons pick the Twins to win the World Series. As much as I hate the Yankees, tell that prediction to them or the Red Sox. Outside of Santana, the Twins starters are mediocre with Radke being the most overrated starter in the American League. Like people have said, this is a great spot for the Sox to be in with no expectations. Sure the division is tougher but it had nowhere to go but up. The Sox can quietly win games and just add to the growing list of wrong predictions these "experts" make every year.

JUribe1989
04-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Absolutely no one picked the Cardinals to win the division in 2004. I looked back at all my magazines and archives of ESPN stories. No one picked the Cardinals. No one had the Marlins in 2003 and no one had the Angels in 2002. This is our year and we are gonna show those "experts" how wrong they actually are.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-03-2005, 10:05 PM
What a shocker! Mike & Mike were talking baseball and it WASN'T solely about the Red Sox and Yankees? I'm almost impressed they made the time to slam on the "other" Sox.

Tragg
04-03-2005, 10:37 PM
On his behalf, I will say that he's an expert on 72 win teams.

MRKARNO
04-03-2005, 10:42 PM
On his behalf, I will say that he's an expert on 72 win teams.

LOL! Excellent work on that one Tragg.

MHOUSE
04-04-2005, 02:52 AM
I'm not buying all this crap about the Twinkies bullpen. They go three deep with Romero, Rincon, and Nathan. IMO, the White Sox pen goes off the 25-man roster with Walker, Adkins, Bajenaru, and even Diaz or Munoz waiting in the wings just in case. The Twins have Terry Mulholland, Jesse Crain, and Matt Guerrier backing up their top three guys. I think Hermanson, Vizcaino, and Cotts and a lot better middle relievers than theirs. Plus their rotation is only three deep. I don't buy it for a second.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
04-04-2005, 03:06 AM
its all a popularity contest, just like it always is. a ton of "experts" picked the cubs to go to the world series last year, and they didnt even make the playoffs. those "experts" are always gonna pick the same teams as the best. i for one dont mind the sox not picked ever to win anything, when they do its gonna be the greatest cuz all those experts will be able to do is eat their words. wilbon, on PTI, is an analist i like, even though he is a cubs fan. at least he is honest, he picked the cubs to win like 63 games this year or somethin like that. he is a diehard cubs fan and i am a diehard sox fan and i wouldnt pick a number that low, but it does put a smile on my face :D:

ChiSoxRowand
04-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Plus their rotation is only three deep.

Actually, it is only 2 deep.

mike squires
04-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Geez, just watched Steve Phillips on Sportscenter on the runs, hits and errors. Positives he mentioned the Marlins and some others but no Whitesox. But yet for the errors he was quick to point out relief pitching meltdowns including Takatsu the other day. Here we are with the best record in the American leauge!!! Unless I tuned in late and missed it...:angry:

ChiSox14305635
04-10-2005, 11:11 AM
As a followup, they had this dunce back on Sportscenter with his thoughts on the 1st week of the season. He praised Atlanta, Oakland, & the Marlins for their team ERA. Also praised Hideki Matsui & Joe Randa for their hot starts. No mention of the 4-1 record, or the fact that the Sox have beat the 2 teams most of the "experts" are picking for the AL Central title...................

But he did mention Shingo by name about his meltdown on Thursday.:D:

mike squires
04-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Oops someone beat me to it. Sorry..

santo=dorf
04-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Has any other team in the MLB had 5 quality starts yet? :?:
I'm sure Joe Morgan will point this out tonight.