PDA

View Full Version : Is Prior a Wuss?

Fredsox
04-03-2005, 07:04 AM
This article in the Daily Herald this morning says he's not in any pain, he's just not happy with his mechanics after a 4-inning stint agianst the Padres AAA team. So why is he going on the DL? The Cubs say he didn't want to do it but their hand was forced by having to submit their final roster to MLB (not sure how that forces him to the DL).

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/cubs.asp?id=29749

I get the idea that the Cubs are concerned about his ego:
The Iowa Cubs open their season at Albuquerque, but the organization might not want Prior pitching there because the park is a hitter’s paradise. He could go to Class AA West Tenn or stay in Mesa for his action Thursday.

Is the idea to have him get ready for the season or is it to keep his fragile little emotional state from crashing? It appears to me that these people are, once again, ruining a really talented guy.

DumpJerry
04-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Maybe there is a reason why the Twins did not draft him that they did not want to articulate to the world. However, was Joe Mauer the guy they picked instead of Prior? If so, was this a jinxed draft?

Fredsox
04-03-2005, 10:06 AM
I don't know if the draft was jinxed, but after reading this morning's Cubune and the Sun-Times, the basic message out of Prior and the Cubs is that he's physically fine, he's just not pitching as well as he could be and he needs more practice.

Am I imbibing some sort of controlled substance here? Either the Cubs are lying and he's NOT physically fine, or they're putting him on the DL because he's not pitching well despite being physically fine. They can't have the messiah pitching poorly in front of the fans.

This would be like us putting Contreras on the DL because he had a crappy spring. Am I wrong?

DumpJerry
04-03-2005, 11:17 AM
I don't know if the draft was jinxed, but after reading this morning's Cubune and the Sun-Times, the basic message out of Prior and the Cubs is that he's physically fine, he's just not pitching as well as he could be and he needs more practice.

Am I imbibing some sort of controlled substance here? Either the Cubs are lying and he's NOT physically fine, or they're putting him on the DL because he's not pitching well despite being physically fine. They can't have the messiah pitching poorly in front of the fans.

This would be like us putting Contreras on the DL because he had a crappy spring. Am I wrong?
They might be telling the truth here, if you expand the definition of the word "truth." Prior missed a lot of pitching opportunities this spring because of whatever was bothering him (elbow, head, etc.). Physically, he may be fine in that there is nothing wrong with his elbow or other vital body parts, but since he has not pitched a full spring, he is not in Major League shape to pitch in a real game. Going on the DL gives him a chance to get his strength up so that in two weeks, he can live up to expectations.

Or............this could be the usual Flub BS and we won't see him until after Frank comes back to play for us. The White Sox are the opposite of the Flubs when it comes to being honest about the condition of their players. Two weeks ago the team all but said that Mark Buerhle's foot was being amputated before they announced that he was ok the next day. A Flub player can have a body part cut off and the team will announce he is have "slight" discomfort in the affected part.

SOXSINCE'70
04-03-2005, 11:18 AM
The question is "Is Prior a wuss"??

The answer is "anyone who wears a sCrUBS uni
is a wuss".:roflmao: :roflmao:

ChiSoxRowand
04-03-2005, 03:01 PM
I thought you had to have a reason to put a guy on the DL.

PAPChiSox729
04-03-2005, 03:19 PM

On ESPN's scroll bar, it said Prior was put on the DL for precautionary reasons.

TDog
04-03-2005, 03:19 PM

As I understand it, during the season, if you make a roster move using the DL, you have to have an injury. At the beginning of the season, not being ready because an injury set you back seems to be acceptable.

Fredsox
04-03-2005, 03:53 PM
As I understand it, during the season, if you make a roster move using the DL, you have to have an injury. At the beginning of the season, not being ready because an injury set you back seems to be acceptable.

I understand that this is within the letter of the law, it certainly seems to be outside the spirit of it, though. Can you imagine Buehrle acting like that? I can't.

Whitesox029
04-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Prior has said before that he didn't feel comfortable going into the season having missed his last ST start, but he's not going to be able to face major league hitters now that ST is over unless he comes back. As I understand it he started a game against minor leaguers. You have to want to go out there. The Cubs have been put him in a plastic bubble, and he's going right along with it. It seems to have shot his ego way up there. Notice how Buehrle was anxious to get back out there after his foot problem, and notice how Herm is the only thing keeping Frank from playing on opening day. In answer to the question, yes, Prior is a wuss.

TDog
04-03-2005, 06:25 PM
I understand that this is within the letter of the law, it certainly seems to be outside the spirit of it, though. Can you imagine Buehrle acting like that? I can't.

Even if it is outside the spirit of the law, it is not uncommon for pitchers who didn't get enough work in spring training because they were hurt to open the season on the DL as they get up to speed. I'm not even sure it violates the spirit of the law, which addresses midseason roster shenanigans.

ChiSoxRowand
04-03-2005, 08:02 PM
On the bottom line on ESPN2 it says this-"Cubs place P Mark Prior on DL(precautionary)"

Fredsox
04-03-2005, 08:12 PM
On the bottom line on ESPN2 it says this-"Cubs place P Mark Prior on DL(precautionary)"

Yeah, I saw that too. I've never seen that before, but whatever. Can they put him on the DL? Certainly. Teams have been playing games with injured lists since they were invented and it's part of the gamesmanship of professional sports (insert Phil Jackson & the Bulls here).

I just wonder if this guy is such a fierce competitor and a professional, why would he allow it? He's the friggin' Cubs Messiah, he can refuse and threaten to go to the press. Instead we get this line "he doesn't want to but the team feels it is for the best". That strikes me as a load of horse-hocky. If he wanted to play that bad he'd be on the roster getting ready with his team mates instead of going off to the minor leagues to work out.

munchman33
04-03-2005, 08:30 PM
While it says "precautionary," I have no doubts given the organization he's in that Prior most certainly is still hurt and will not be coming off the D.L. anytime soon.

baseball_fanatic
04-03-2005, 09:05 PM
The practice of putting a pitcher on the DL to begin the season is nothing novel or unusual. Prior is not the only pitcher who is throwing but isn't quite in shape for the season. Schilling threw 85 pitches today, but is on the DL to start the season. The Cardinals are doing it with Morris who has taken all his turns this spring. Vincente Padilla of the Phillies is also being handled the same way. With teams not needing a fifth starter in the first week, moves like this allow teams to have an extra player available.

Placing Prior on the DL actually is a prudent move. The Cubs don't need a fifth starter until April 12 and the move lets them carry an extra pitcher until then. Teams have been doing this for years, not just the Cubs. I know we want to read something sinister into everything the Cubs do, and there's plenty of legitimate times for that to happen. This really isn't one of them.

DrCrawdad
04-03-2005, 10:57 PM
This article in the Daily Herald this morning says he's not in any pain, he's just not happy with his mechanics after a 4-inning stint agianst the Padres AAA team. So why is he going on the DL? The Cubs say he didn't want to do it but their hand was forced by having to submit their final roster to MLB (not sure how that forces him to the DL).

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/cubs.asp?id=29749

I get the idea that the Cubs are concerned about his ego:
The Iowa Cubs open their season at Albuquerque, but the organization might not want Prior pitching there because the park is a hitter’s paradise. He could go to Class AA West Tenn or stay in Mesa for his action Thursday.

Is the idea to have him get ready for the season or is it to keep his fragile little emotional state from crashing? It appears to me that these people are, once again, ruining a really talented guy.

There should be a disclosure statement at the top of Bruce Miles articles saying that he's writing from the perspective of a happy-talk Cubbie fan.

chaz171
04-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Mary Prior was touted as this perfect model with a perfect Delivery and possibly one of the best prospects ever etc.

Bottom line- He gets broke too easy. Carrie Wood gets broke every year too.

Alex Fernandez had that "shoulders square to the plate" Tom Seaver-esque pitching style that was supposed to be safe. Fernandez Blew his arm out too.

Axiom #1- The Human Arm Is not meant to throw a Baseball.

Axiom #2- Cub fans are Losers.

Axiom #3- Carrie Wood and Mary Prior are broke down and overrated.