PDA

View Full Version : Droughts by Division

Whitesox029
04-02-2005, 11:56 PM
I was bored, so I did some research on championship droughts by division with interesting results:
(If a team has never won, their drought is simply their number of years in existence)
Division Average Drought Shortest Drought Longest Drought
NL Central 39.33 Years 14 Years (Reds) 96 Years (Cubs)
AL Central 39 13 (Twins) 87 (White Sox)
NL West 23.4 3 (D-Backs) 50 (Giants)
AL West 22.25 2 (Angels) 44 (Sens/Rangers)
NL East 17.6 1 (Marlins) 36(Expos/Nats)
AL East 8.6 0 (Red Sox) 21 (Orioles)
I think it's interesting that all 3 categories
are in descending order. The NL Central just edged out the AL Central and the NL West edged out the AL West. You can see the concentration of success on the East Coast though by looking at these numbers.
Another interesting fact is that the AL Central is the only division in which every team has at one point won a World Series.
Teams that have never won, in descending order of age:
Senators/Rangers: 44 years
.45s/Astros: 43 years
Brewers: 36 years
Expos/Nationals: 36 years
Padres: 36 years
Mariners: 28 years
Rockies: 12 years
Devil Rays: 7 years

batmanZoSo
04-03-2005, 12:14 AM
I was bored, so I did some research on championship droughts by division with interesting results:
(If a team has never won, their drought is simply their number of years in existence)
Division Average Drought Shortest Drought Longest Drought
NL Central 39.33 Years 14 Years (Reds) 96 Years (Cubs)
AL Central 39 13 (Twins) 87 (White Sox)
NL West 23.4 3 (D-Backs) 50 (Giants)
AL West 22.25 2 (Angels) 44 (Sens/Rangers)
NL East 17.6 1 (Marlins) 36(Expos/Nats)
AL East 8.6 0 (Red Sox) 21 (Orioles)
I think it's interesting that all 3 categories
are in descending order. The NL Central just edged out the AL Central and the NL West edged out the AL West. You can see the concentration of success on the East Coast though by looking at these numbers.
Another interesting fact is that the AL Central is the only division in which every team has at one point won a World Series.
Teams that have never won, in descending order of age:
Senators/Rangers: 44 years
.45s/Astros: 43 years
Brewers: 36 years
Expos/Nationals: 36 years
Padres: 36 years
Mariners: 28 years
Rockies: 12 years
Devil Rays: 7 years

No team from either "Central" has ever won a World Series. Only three appearances overall (95, 97, 04...right?) since existence.

This is interesting. If you want to win it all, you're best bet is to play in the AL as close to the east as possible.

Whitesox029
04-03-2005, 12:18 AM
No team from either "Central" has ever won a World Series. Only three appearances overall (95, 97, 04...right?) since existence.

This is interesting. If you want to win it all, you're best bet is to play in the AL as close to the east as possible.
Well I meant that in the history of the teams themselves, not so much the divisions. You can't compare them that way because the Wests and Easts have a big head start on the Centrals. Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, KC and the Sox have all won at some point.