PDA

View Full Version : Aramis Ramirez a fit for the Sox in 2006?

Clement's beard
04-02-2005, 11:20 PM
It appears that the Cubs may not get a long-term deal done with Ramirez before the opening day deadline he set. From the Tribune:

The two sides will continue to talk Sunday in Phoenix, but neither side appeared to budge in negotiations over a four-year extension.

"If it doesn't [happen], then we certainly are open to revisiting it at the end of the year," Hendry said. "Both sides have agreed to get something done by Opening Day or table it to a later date."

Ramirez reportedly is seeking a four-year deal worth between $50 million and $55 million, based on recent deals given to Houston's Lance Berkman ($85 million, six years) and Seattle's Adrian Beltre ($64 million, five years).

If Crede bombs this year, should the Sox make a play for him in the off-season?

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2005, 11:27 PM
It appears that the Cubs may not get a long-term deal done with Ramirez before the opening day deadline he set. From the Tribune:

The two sides will continue to talk Sunday in Phoenix, but neither side appeared to budge in negotiations over a four-year extension.

"If it doesn't [happen], then we certainly are open to revisiting it at the end of the year," Hendry said. "Both sides have agreed to get something done by Opening Day or table it to a later date."

Ramirez reportedly is seeking a four-year deal worth between $50 million and $55 million, based on recent deals given to Houston's Lance Berkman ($85 million, six years) and Seattle's Adrian Beltre ($64 million, five years).

If Crede bombs this year, should the Sox make a play for him in the off-season?If Crede bombs, I don't think they'll wait until the off-season. I think they'll replace him mid-season. I don't think Ramirez is a good fit long-term since they're obviously looking at Fields possibly in 2006 or maybe 2007. Someone they can sign for one year makes more sense.

DumpJerry
04-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Let's get started with 2005 first. Fields may be a great replacement in '06 if Crede does not blossom. A team with McCarthy and Fields will look real good.

PAPChiSox729
04-02-2005, 11:39 PM
I think that management views Fields as the future if Crede blows this year. Aramis Ramirez isn't going to want to sign a one-year deal. Who knows though. Maybe Crede will figure things out at become the +.280, 30, 90 guy we know he can be.

:D:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-02-2005, 11:55 PM
I guess building your own batting cage can only get you so far.

But after an abysmal start to ST, Crede's looked pretty good at the plate lately. Maybe he and Walk got that whole "swing plane" thing figured out.

And there aren't many 3B that are better defensively.

To all the Crede and Contreras haters out there, give the J.C.s a chance!

crector
04-03-2005, 01:55 AM

If Crede bombs this year, should the Sox make a play for him in the off-season?

Why should the Sox load up with Ex-Cubs trash? Are you not aware of the Ex-Cubs Factor that helped do in the Cardinals last year?

doublem23
04-03-2005, 05:19 AM
Why should the Sox load up with Ex-Cubs trash? Are you not aware of the Ex-Cubs Factor that helped do in the Cardinals last year?

The ex-Cub factor is as real as curses. I would like Ramirez, I think he'd be a nice, young RBI guy to compliment Konerko in the way the Caballo and Maggs did, however, he's going to command a greater salary than the Sox are willing to spend, IMO, especially with Josh Fields on target to be MLB ready in a few years.

Lets' let Joe lose the job first, though.

TommyJohn
04-03-2005, 05:51 AM
I can't wait for the Tribune banner headlines:

RAMIREZ WILL COME TO WHITE SOX
Third baseman should ink deal with South Siders because we say he should.

Do you think it a possibility?

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Well...it won't be happening in 2006..

Cubs sign Ramirez to four-year contract
Slugger agrees to $42 million deal with option for fifth year

link
(http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050404&content_id=999196&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

TaylorStSox
04-04-2005, 05:30 PM
I'll take Crede's defense over Field's offense for right now. Let Fields work on that glove in the minors for another year. It's Crede's job.

Ramirez? No thank you.