PDA

View Full Version : Sox Roster Finalized

DickAllen72
04-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2005 Chicago White Sox.

Following their Saturday exhibition finale against Milwaukee, Chicago made a flurry of expected roster moves to complete their Opening Day roster, purchasing the contracts of Pablo Ozuna and Chris Widger, optioning left-hander Kevin Walker to Triple-A Charlotte and placing Frank Thomas on the disabled list.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050402&content_id=997600&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

PAPChiSox729
04-02-2005, 09:46 PM

Following their Saturday exhibition finale against Milwaukee, Chicago made a flurry of expected roster moves to complete their Opening Day roster, purchasing the contracts of Pablo Ozuna and Chris Widger, optioning left-hander Kevin Walker to Triple-A Charlotte and placing Frank Thomas on the disabled list.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050402&content_id=997600&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Nothing surprising. Ah, Opening Day is just one short day away. I can't wait!

A. Cavatica
04-02-2005, 10:28 PM
I feel like going down the roster and comparing it to what I thought of last year's team at the same point in the season.

Starting a season with a healthy Thomas beats starting one without him. I felt skeptical of Everett last year and I feel only slightly less skeptical of him now. Advantage: 2004 Sox.

Last year we had Olivo catching, and I was optimistic about him getting his chance. This year we have Pierzynski, who's a proven hitter. I might've felt a hair more comfortable with Alomar as the backup than I do with Widger, but this year I feel more comfortable with the emergency catchers (Davis/Burke) than I did last year. Advantage: 2005 Sox.

Last year Konerko was coming off a disastrous season; this year he's coming off a career year. I'm not positive Gload was on the opening day roster last year, and this year he's coming off a season where (IIRC) he led AL rookies in batting average. I like the tandem better this year, but it's still the same two guys. Advantage: 2005 Sox.

I like Iguchi a lot better than Harris. Advantage: 2005 Sox.

I thought the Valentin/Uribe combination would do well last year; this year I think Uribe will do well. I expect Ozuna to go 0-for-April after batting over .500 in March. Advantage: 2004 Sox.

Crede is Crede, and in both cases he's coming off a poor year. Advantage: neither.

Starting a season with a healthy Ordonez beats starting a season with Dye in right. Advantage: 2004 Sox.

Last year I was in the minority who argued Rowand was a pretty good player. Just because the rest of you wised up doesn't make me change my rating. And Timo is still Timo. Advantage: neither.

Lee is twice the hitter that Podsednik is, and he'll probably even get on base more. (Yes, I still liked the trade, but if you just look at left field, there's no comparison.) Advantage: 2004 Sox.

The starting rotation last year was Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Schoeneweis, Wright. Loaiza was coming off a near-Cy-Young season and we expected him to win 17 or 18; we knew Schoeneweis and Wright were crap. This year we have Buehrle, Garcia, Hernandez, Contreras, Garland. We think Garcia should win 17 or 18; we have high hopes for Hernandez (if he doesn't get hurt) and we think Garland will benefit from being the #5. We're nervous that Contreras could be crap, but he hasn't proved it yet. And if we have to call up someone from Charlotte, we all prefer B-Mac to Jason Grilli. Advantage: 2005 Sox, and count it double (two rotation spots worth).

The bullpen last year had Koch in it, and Adkins (who hadn't yet shown anything). 'nuff said. Advantage: 2005 Sox. Count it double again.

Overall: Last year, we felt the team had let huge holes go unplugged, and we had a rookie manager who we thought would be fiery but maybe not the best on-field decision maker. This year, the team feels more complete and better balanced, and the manager (we hope) has learned some things. This should be a better team than the 2004 model and I'm looking forward to the season.

DrCrawdad
04-02-2005, 11:31 PM
I feel like going down the roster and comparing it to what I thought of last year's team at the same point in the season.

Starting a season with a healthy Thomas beats starting one without him. I felt skeptical of Everett last year and I feel only slightly less skeptical of him now. Advantage: 2004 Sox.

Last year we had Olivo catching, and I was optimistic about him getting his chance. This year we have Pierzynski, who's a proven hitter. I might've felt a hair more comfortable with Alomar as the backup than I do with Widger, but this year I feel more comfortable with the emergency catchers (Davis/Burke) than I did last year. Advantage: 2005 Sox.

Last year Konerko was coming off a disastrous season; this year he's coming off a career year. I'm not positive Gload was on the opening day roster last year, and this year he's coming off a season where (IIRC) he led AL rookies in batting average. I like the tandem better this year, but it's still the same two guys. Advantage: 2005 Sox.

I thought the Valentin/Uribe combination would do well last year; this year I think Uribe will do well. I expect Ozuna to go 0-for-April after batting over .500 in March. Advantage: 2004 Sox.

Crede is Crede, and in both cases he's coming off a poor year. Advantage: neither.

Starting a season with a healthy Ordonez beats starting a season with Dye in right. Advantage: 2004 Sox.

Last year I was in the minority who argued Rowand was a pretty good player. Just because the rest of you wised up doesn't make me change my rating. And Timo is still Timo. Advantage: neither.

Lee is twice the hitter that Podsednik is, and he'll probably even get on base more. (Yes, I still liked the trade, but if you just look at left field, there's no comparison.) Advantage: 2004 Sox.

The starting rotation last year was Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Schoeneweis, Wright. Loaiza was coming off a near-Cy-Young season and we expected him to win 17 or 18; we knew Schoeneweis and Wright were crap. This year we have Buehrle, Garcia, Hernandez, Contreras, Garland. We think Garcia should win 17 or 18; we have high hopes for Hernandez (if he doesn't get hurt) and we think Garland will benefit from being the #5. We're nervous that Contreras could be crap, but he hasn't proved it yet. And if we have to call up someone from Charlotte, we all prefer B-Mac to Jason Grilli. Advantage: 2005 Sox, and count it double (two rotation spots worth).

The bullpen last year had Koch in it, and Adkins (who hadn't yet shown anything). 'nuff said. Advantage: 2005 Sox. Count it double again.

Overall: Last year, we felt the team had let huge holes go unplugged, and we had a rookie manager who we thought would be fiery but maybe not the best on-field decision maker. This year, the team feels more complete and better balanced, and the manager (we hope) has learned some things. This should be a better team than the 2004 model and I'm looking forward to the season.

I agree with you break-down.

I was at the Friday Sox/Brewers game and I followed today's game too. I know it's the preseason but there were two things in these games that happened last year all to often - porous bullpen and lack of clutch hits.

Every bullpen gives up runs. However the last few years it seems that the bullpen allows the opposition to add-on runs giving the opposition that extra down the stretch. And the last two games had that.

Opportunities to execute offensively and the team fails to come thru. This years team is supposedly geared for "small ball" and not reliant on the HR this team has to execute when the opportnity arrises.

I love the Sox and as I have hope for the team this year, as I have had for 40 years, if the trends I mentioned above continue this season then I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox finished behind Cleveland.

Have low expectations, then there is less chance of being wrong.

:)

chisox06
04-03-2005, 12:38 AM

Beautiful. A fair and objective view of the 2005 sox. No wonder you dont write for ESPN. :D:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Have low expectations, then there is less chance of being wrong.
Or, as I like to say, "Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed." :tongue:

At least they FINALLY decided what to do with Rowand and Pods in the outfield:

Monday's lineup is expected to be the following: Scott Podsednik (CF), Tadahito Iguchi (2B), Carl Everett (DH), Konerko (1B), Jermaine Dye (RF), A.J. Pierzynski (C), Aaron Rowand (CF), Joe Crede (3B) and Juan Uribe (SS).

Jjav829
04-03-2005, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by whitesox.com
Monday's lineup is expected to be the following: Scott Podsednik (CF), Tadahito Iguchi (2B), Carl Everett (DH), Konerko (1B), Jermaine Dye (RF), A.J. Pierzynski (C), Aaron Rowand (CF), Joe Crede (3B) and Juan Uribe (SS).

LOL, I like it! I always thought the left field position was overrated anyway. Screw left field, we'll play with two centerfielders! One can play shallow and the other can play deep. Nothing will fall in center field. Now we just have to hope they don't manage to hit the ball to left or we're in trouble. :tongue:

A. Cavatica
04-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Crede had better play deep.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Crede had better play deep.
:rolling:

Ol' No. 2
04-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Or, as I like to say, "Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed." :tongue:

Do the Indians have that many LH pull hitters?:o:

CPditka
04-03-2005, 06:24 PM
who drops when frank comes back?

DickAllen72
04-03-2005, 09:02 PM
who drops when frank comes back?

Maybe Timo.

DrCrawdad
04-04-2005, 11:12 AM

The Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/spx-news-soxpre04.html) lists Kevin Walker on the 25 man roster.

MeanFish
04-04-2005, 11:22 AM
The Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/spx-news-soxpre04.html) lists Kevin Walker on the 25 man roster.

They also list Paul Konerko with a .227 batting average.

MisterB
04-04-2005, 11:58 AM

Subtract Walker and add Ozuna and you got it.