PDA

View Full Version : NOT a chicken little thread, BUT...

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Is it just me or do they not look ready? Two guys getting caught in rundowns today; completely unable to string together hits. How many LOB today? Dino looked like he needed a tennis racket instead of a bat. Garland was the typical Jon Garland: not good, not bad, just...well...adequate.

I'm bracing myself for a sub-.500 April. I just hope either I'm wrong or they don't dig themselves too big of a hole before they finally start clicking. Playing like they did today they'll be lucky to compete with the Royals.:(:

DaveIsHere
04-02-2005, 09:49 PM
:chickenlittle

Relax, lets see how April goes before we start:gulp: :gulp: our sorrows

PAPChiSox729
04-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Is it just me or do they not look ready? Two guys getting caught in rundowns today; completely unable to string together hits. How many LOB today? Dino looked like he needed a tennis racket instead of a bat. Garland was the typical Jon Garland: not good, not bad, just...well...adequate.

I'm bracing myself for a sub-.500 April. I just hope either I'm wrong or they don't dig themselves too big of a hole before they finally start clicking. Playing like they did today they'll be lucky to compete with the Royals.:(:

Today was just an ugly game. I don't think Ozzie is going to let his team continue to play like they did today. They can and will play better. This is a good team. But even the best teams have bad games.

FightingBillini
04-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Yes, it IS a chicken little thread.

A) The season hasnt started yet

-and-

B) Players have off nights all the time

I understand what you are saying, but I wont worry unless they play like this in the regular season, and for an extended period of time.

MRKARNO
04-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Garland looked fine in my view. He was throwing a lot of strikes and the only runs he gave up were on a Vladamir Guerrero-style golfswing home run by Lee. The pitch was way out of the zone and that was pretty flukey. 6 hits allowed is mediocre, but there werent many extra-base hits besides the flukey home run by Lee. Otherwise I saw him strikeout 4 batters and walk none and give up no other runs besides that homer.

A big concern: Number of hitters left on base. I counted something like 16 left on base that game (it might have been as low as 13, but I think it was closer to 16). You can't leave that many on base and score only 2 runs.

Also: Carl Everett looks totally lost at the plate right now. Some of his hacks recently have looked absolutely foolish and there have been many of those. He struck out three times today and I think each time it was on a ball thrown out of the zone. He needs to figure it out before Opening Day if the White Sox are going to cope for a month and a half without Thomas.

Lip Man 1
04-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Of course if you paid attention to the entire spring period of games, the Sox have been making base running blunders from the get-go.

It's been four weeks now. I would think they would have gotten it out of their system.

We'll see.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Today was just an ugly game. I don't think Ozzie is going to let his team continue to play like they did today. They can and will play better. This is a good team. But even the best teams have bad games.They played exactly the same way yesterday. Teams take time to gel, and with so many new faces, maybe there wasn't enough time in ST. But they just looked very flat. Lots of teams start out slow, and even being a few games under .500 in May is not a disaster. I still think they will be OK eventually. Maybe a little home cookin' on Monday will be just what the doctor ordered.:smile:

voodoochile
04-02-2005, 09:59 PM
They played exactly the same way yesterday. Teams take time to gel, and with so many new faces, maybe there wasn't enough time in ST. But they just looked very flat. Lots of teams start out slow, and even being a few games under .500 in May is not a disaster. I still think they will be OK eventually. Maybe a little home cookin' on Monday will be just what the doctor ordered.:smile:

It may also have to do with just wanting to play games that actually mean something and knowing they had Sunday off and being back home (or close to it) and able to see friends and family. There are plenty of mundane explanations for why the team might have lacked some focus today. Hopefully Monday they are geared up and ready to rock...

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Of course if you paid attention to the entire spring period of games, the Sox have been making base running blunders from the get-go.

It's been four weeks now. I would think they would have gotten it out of their system.

We'll see.

LipI don't call getting thrown out at the plate a baserunning blunder. But getting caught in-between on a comebacker to the pitcher is something that just shouldn't happen. And doing this stuff early in ST is one thing. Doing it 2 days before opening day is another.

MRKARNO is right. Everett looks like he might just as well close his eyes. He was just guessing. I stopped counting the LOB. No one could come up with the timely hit.

It's one thing to lose. But losing while looking that bad is something else again. They really looked awful. Maybe it's a side-effect of the long spring training. But they'd better snap out of it, because if the Brewers make you look bad, who can you expect to beat?

dickallen15
04-02-2005, 10:07 PM
It is only spring training, but the White Sox are having the same problems they have always had. Contreras falls in love with his forkball, Garland looks good, but still has the 1 big inning ruin his outings. El Duque is a health questionmark. The baserunning is atrocious. Its not like they are not effective because they are working on different things. My dissapointment is in Podsednik. I know its only spring training, and I know his numbers were pretty good this spring, but this guy plays just like John Cangelosi to me. I can't believe KW traded Carlos Lee, and all he got back was a journeyman middle reliever and John Cangelosi Jr.

Lip Man 1
04-02-2005, 10:12 PM
No. 2:

I was speaking about base running in general. Things like Borchard slipping rounding third because he didn't see the stop sign from Cora in time and getting thrown out. Guys getting picked off base things like that.

It's to early to say anything for sure, but I recall saying something last year about this, something to the tune of 'a manager can only do so much, eventually it's up to the players to execute. There is a possibility that for whatever reason, the Sox by and large are simply 'stupid' in the baseball sense and that all the teaching and practice in the world won't make up or change it.'

We'll see.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2005, 10:18 PM
It is only spring training, but the White Sox are having the same problems they have always had. Contreras falls in love with his forkball, Garland looks good, but still has the 1 big inning ruin his outings. El Duque is a health questionmark. The baserunning is atrocious. Its not like they are not effective because they are working on different things. My dissapointment is in Podsednik. I know its only spring training, and I know his numbers were pretty good this spring, but this guy plays just like John Cangelosi to me. I can't believe KW traded Carlos Lee, and all he got back was a journeyman middle reliever and John Cangelosi Jr.I don't think you can lay it on one or two players. Actually, Garland didn't pitch badly today. He wasn't great, but he wasn't the reason they lost, either. When you get 6 IP and 3 R from your starter, that's a quality start. You're supposed to be able to win those games. And Contreras didn't really look as bad as his numbers indicated yesterday. Other than the one HR, they really weren't hitting him hard. They were just falling in.

But the whole team looks like they just haven't gelled. They're just not sustaining rallies. Maybe Voodoo is right and it's just a lack of focus from being away from home for so long. We'll see on Monday.

On a side note, does anyone else think they should move Iguchi down to the 9 spot until he gets acclimated? They could easily bat Aaron #2. They talked about this early in ST. Once Iguchi gets clicking, they can always change back if they wanted to.

NSSoxFan
04-02-2005, 10:24 PM
But the whole team looks like they just haven't gelled. They're just not sustaining rallies. Maybe Voodoo is right and it's just a lack of focus from being away from home for so long. We'll see on Monday.

On a side note, does anyone else think they should move Iguchi down to the 9 spot until he gets acclimated? They could easily bat Aaron #2. They talked about this early in ST. Once Iguchi gets clicking, they can always change back if they wanted to.

I would tend to say that the team hasn't gelled yet. Something that no one has brought up so far are the hits by the Brewers on Friday night that were falling in between Dye and Rowand, I counted two. It seemed that on both occasions, Rowand and Dye got crossed up on whose ball it was, and as both of their feet hit the warning track, the ball fell a couple feet in front of the warning track.

We have seen the worse when it comes to hitting, namely the corpseball era of our Sox. Listen, this team is going to come together eventually and it will be fun to watch.

Hopefully the boys could start off the season with a couple series wins.

PAPChiSox729
04-02-2005, 10:25 PM

That is a great idea to me. Iguchi is a solid player, but I think that he may start slow. Batting Rowand second isn't going to hurt your offense. The Sox don't need a struggling Iguchi batting second. Let him adjust. He will eventually come around, become the no. 2 hitter, and have a good season. Until then, bat Rowand second.

RKMeibalane
04-02-2005, 10:27 PM
1. The season hasn't started, yet.

2. Frank Thomas will be back.

3. Spring Traning doesn't mean anything.

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2005, 10:28 PM
I would tend to say that the team hasn't gelled yet. Something that no one has brought up so far are the hits by the Brewers on Friday night that were falling in between Dye and Rowand, I counted two. It seemed that on both occasions, Rowand and Dye got crossed up on whose ball it was, and as both of their feet hit the warning track, the ball fell a couple feet in front of the warning track.

We have seen the worse when it comes to hitting, namely the corpseball era of our Sox. Listen, this team is going to come together eventually and it will be fun to watch.

Hopefully the boys could start off the season with a couple series wins.Corpseball is exactly what I was thinking. That's what they looked like the last couple of days. Maybe when they start playing for real they'll sharpen up. I sure hope so.

mdep524
04-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Even with the lackluster performance of the last few days, I am not worried about the Sox' offense. I really think they are going to step up as solid pros and hit consistenly well this season. I think the Sox just phoned it in today; I don't put much stock in the performance.

As for the starting pitching....

JB98
04-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Corpseball is exactly what I was thinking. That's what they looked like the last couple of days. Maybe when they start playing for real they'll sharpen up. I sure hope so.

This spring, this team has been all about giving away outs with atrocious baserunning. Let's hope the bad habits don't carry over into the season. We don't have the pitching to beat teams 3-2 and 2-1. We have to capitalize on our scoring opportunities. It isn't going to happen when you continually run yourself out of innings.

soxtalker
04-02-2005, 11:05 PM
It is early, and ST play is not necessarily a predictor of regular season play (either direction). Having said that, I'm starting to become a bit concerned.

The overwhelming majority of media predictions are that the Sox will not be a very good team. Now, each time that happens, the WSI faithful have pointed out several factors that the prognosticator has overlooked. Well, maybe the majority on this board is right. Maybe. Or maybe all the question marks that the various media pundits have seen are indeed question marks.

No the sky insn't falling. We haven't played one regular season game yet. But it is looking like a lot of pieces still need to fall into place.

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2005, 11:14 PM
It is early, and ST play is not necessarily a predictor of regular season play (either direction). Having said that, I'm starting to become a bit concerned.

The overwhelming majority of media predictions are that the Sox will not be a very good team. Now, each time that happens, the WSI faithful have pointed out several factors that the prognosticator has overlooked. Well, maybe the majority on this board is right. Maybe. Or maybe all the question marks that the various media pundits have seen are indeed question marks.

No the sky insn't falling. We haven't played one regular season game yet. But it is looking like a lot of pieces still need to fall into place.It isn't that ST games are meaningful, but one purpose of ST is to get the team tuned up and clicking on all cylinders and going into the season with some momentum. Judging by the last few days, they're not.

Maybe it's nothing, but I was hoping to see a team today that was already on a roll, and what I saw was a lot of sputtering. If they come out next week and shellack the Indians three straight, I'll happily forget about it, but you never want to see the team playing the way they played today.

mike squires
04-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Guys, today I knew we lost. I didn't watch the game nor did I have to (I was at work) I didn't need to see the score on the ticker or listen to the radio on the way home from work...I knew we were going to lose today and I knew we were going to look bad. I've always had that ESP kind of thing. Just like I know how this season is going to go...Um, I'll end this post right now...:angry:

Bucktown
04-02-2005, 11:24 PM
I know Spring is the time for optimism, but I am not impressed. This is the first year in recent memory where I did not feel like we were the best team in the division. I hope I am wrong this year too.

mike squires
04-02-2005, 11:33 PM
For some reason I just have that feeling in the pit of my stomach that we are going to blow it. I really think some of those reviews may be right. 3rd maybe. Sorry...

NSSoxFan
04-02-2005, 11:39 PM
For some reason I just have that feeling in the pit of my stomach that we are going to blow it. I really think some of those reviews may be right. 3rd maybe. Sorry...

Why are you saying sorry? It is everyone's right to have predictions.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-02-2005, 11:41 PM
But the whole team looks like they just haven't gelled.

If I'm not mistaken, today was the FIRST day all spring that the regular season starting lineup has played together. Until now, there's always been a Borchard here or a Widger there. I'm in agreement that what we saw from the offense today was a total disappointment, but it isn't as though they've had time to "gel".

That said, Carl does have to knock it off with those STUPID-LOOKING SWINGS!

PAPChiSox729
04-02-2005, 11:46 PM
That said, Carl does have to knock it off with those STUPID-LOOKING SWINGS!

Those were ugly swings. He looked totally lost up there. I hope that doesn't carry over. He had such a good ST minus the series in Milwaukee, it would be bad to see Carl have a tough time as the DH until Frank comes back.

infohawk
04-02-2005, 11:47 PM
A big concern: Number of hitters left on base. I counted something like 16 left on base that game (it might have been as low as 13, but I think it was closer to 16). You can't leave that many on base and score only 2 runs.

I'll be an optimist, glass half-full guy here.

I was cognizant of all of the men left on base too. At least, even during losses, the team is giving itself opportunities to score. Unlike last year they don't look "sluggish" (i.e. corpseball) even when they lose. A couple of clutch hits, or even sacrifice flies, at key points and they could have just as easily won. Hopefully they will get more clutch hits than not. I thought Garland had a really good outing. I believe it was considered a "quality start." I don't think he walked anyone, but if he did it was only one or two batters. Crede even had a couple of hits and Paulie went from first to third on a single. I had to rewind Tivo to make sure I wasn't imagining things!

Interestingly, it occured to me that Milwaukee may have the same problem this year as the Sox have had the past few years. Milwaukee won the game principally because Carlos hit that 3-run homer. Had he not hit the homer, it is possible the Sox could have won the game 2-1 (assuming the Brewers wouldn't have scored in the bottem of the 9th). My point is that we used to almost require 3-run homers -- or multiple homer games -- to win. If the big bomb(s) didn't happen, we lost. Milwaukee seems to be built around the sluggers in the middle of their line-up. We know the problems with that.

I didn't catch all of the Friday night game, but I don't think the Sox hit any homers. If this is the case, we scored 8 runs over two games without the benefit of a home run. Milwaukee scored 11 runs in the two games, with a Spivey homer on Friday and a 3-run homer on Saturday. I know a loss is a loss, but I like out chances of being more consistent offensively this year. Just trying to be an optimist. :redneck

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2005, 11:54 PM
I'll be an optimist, glass half-full guy here.

I was cognizant of all of the men left on base too. At least, even during losses, the team is giving itself opportunities to score. Unlike last year they don't look "sluggish" (i.e. corpseball) even when they lose. A couple of clutch hits, or even sacrifice flies, at key points and they could have just as easily won. Hopefully they will get more clutch hits than not. I thought Garland had a really good outing. I believe it was considered a "quality start." I don't think he walked anyone, but if he did it was only one or two batters. Crede even had a couple of hits and Paulie went from first to third on a single. I had to rewind Tivo to make sure I wasn't imagining things!

Interestingly, it occured to me that Milwaukee may have the same problem this year as the Sox have had the past few years. Milwaukee won the game principally because Carlos hit that 3-run homer. Had he not hit the homer, it is possible the Sox could have won the game 2-1 (assuming the Brewers wouldn't have scored in the bottem of the 9th). My point is that we used to almost require 3-run homers -- or multiple homer games -- to win. If the big bomb(s) didn't happen, we lost. Milwaukee seems to be built around the sluggers in the middle of their line-up. We know the problems with that.

I didn't catch all of the Friday night game, but I don't think the Sox hit any homers. If this is the case, we scored 8 runs over two games without the benefit of a home run. Milwaukee scored 11 runs in the two games, with a Spivey homer on Friday and a 3-run homer on Saturday. I know a loss is a loss, but I like out chances of being more consistent offensively this year. Just trying to be an optimist. :redneckLonger term, I think they're going to be OK, too, which is why I titled the thread "NOT a chicken little thread". But what I've seen the last week or so (not just the last two days) leads me to think they may struggle early, which is not good since 22 of the first 28 games are divisional opponents. Not an insurmountable obstacle, but not the way you'd like to start out the season, either. We want a coast-to-coast lead.

Tragg
04-03-2005, 12:06 AM

I don't know if you're right, because I haven't seen the team play and haven't been following preseason much. BUT I do believe that you can tell how the team will start based on the way they are playing. It's not about winning in preseason - it's whether they have the fundamentals down and are mentally ready.

In 1995, LaMont didn't have the team anywhere near ready to play the season; ditto Manuel in 2001, imo.

DrCrawdad
04-03-2005, 12:35 AM
What if the Sox are a small ball team that doesn't play small ball all that well?

SOX ADDICT '73
04-03-2005, 12:41 AM
What if the Sox are a small ball team that doesn't play small ball all that well?
It's a short trip from "small ball" to "not-at-all ball."

Big or small, these guys need to start hitting. You can't steal first base.

DMarte708
04-03-2005, 03:50 AM

Williams should find his pink slip awaiting him. No more excuses.

If Williams revamps the team to model a "smallball" philosophy, and the system doesn't produce a division title, who is left to blame besides the general manager? EVEN IF there are numerous players with season long slumps or injuries, Williams absolutely warrants criticism.

However, because of numerous contracts which extend through 06', Williams will likely remain our GM these next two seasons; regardless of results. Hopefully this won't be an issue. I pray this squad overcomes the Twins and captures their first divisional title (wildcard) in five years.

beck72
04-03-2005, 07:52 AM
What has to be considered is the makeup of this team. Most of the roster is filled with guys who will do anything to win--guys who will take risks, exert every ounce of energy to make a play, take an extra base, etc. In spring, the players main objective is to get their work in and come out healthy. Players have to show some restraint in spring or risk being injured for the season.

Once the games count, I think we'll see that "win at any cost", fearless mentality show up on a daily basis. Because that is the biggest edge the Sox have. They have to outwork and outplay the opposition. They haven't done that in spring, but the regular season is where these guys should bring it

DrCrawdad
04-03-2005, 09:10 AM

If Williams revamps the team to model a "smallball" philosophy, and the system doesn't produce a division title, who is left to blame besides the general manager? EVEN IF there are numerous players with season long slumps or injuries, Williams absolutely warrants criticism.

However, because of numerous contracts which extend through 06', Williams will likely remain our GM these next two seasons; regardless of results. Hopefully this won't be an issue. I pray this squad overcomes the Twins and captures their first divisional title (wildcard) in five years.

This is Kenny's fifth season as GM. If the team doesn't make the playoffs, it should be time for change. Although that probably won't happen (that being KW getting terminated).

MRKARNO
04-03-2005, 10:29 AM

The White Sox are a balanced offensive team that is trying to pass itself off as being of the smallball variety. This really isn't a smallball team as there is only one Timo Perez type of player (Timo himself) that's only there for "execution of fundamentals." Otherwise I see a team of gap hitters vs the home run hitters that we had before.

Lip Man 1
04-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Crawdad:

Unless a major scandel takes place or unless the Sox fall apart and finish last in the division two or three years in a row, Williams isn't going anywhere.

Because of his close personal relationship with the owner as well as said owner's unquestioned loyalty to those who 'do right' by him, only if the above events were to take place would anything happen.

Now Kenny may resign for personal reasons but I think the odds of him being 'fired' are slim and none.

Not saying if that's good or bad just the way it is.

By the way this comment was from Phil Rogers interview with WSI in August 2002:

ML: I know many Sox fans feel frankly, that Williams isn’t qualified for his job. Let’s say things remain the same next season, around 82 or 83 wins and on the edge of "contending." Would ownership consider making a change, would they be willing to admit they were wrong?

PR: "They’d have to make a change. Next year is a critical year for the team, ownership should demand improvement after three years."

Lip

santo=dorf
04-03-2005, 03:37 PM

I can't the Sox getting rid of KW because
1.) Who would replace him?
2.) Ozzie Guillen's contract is up after this season, and IMO, the offense is what he wanted, and the pitching staff is what KW wanted. If the offense sucks this year, you should look at Guillen first.

PAPChiSox729
04-03-2005, 04:09 PM
I can't the Sox getting rid of KW because
1.) Who would replace him?
2.) Ozzie Guillen's contract is up after this season, and IMO, the offense is what he wanted, and the pitching staff is what KW wanted. If the offense sucks this year, you should look at Guillen first.

I agree. This team is Ozzie's making, not KW's. Ozzie wanted the speed, defense, and "smallball" team and KW got Ozzie the players he wanted. If this season is a disaster, then Ozzie should go before KW does.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-03-2005, 11:18 PM
I was at Suturday's game in Milwaukee and I think every hit was a single. We are going to scuffle until Frank gets back. I'm afraid that's reality. I was in Tuscon the week before and I have to say the base-running was below average. It's going to take some time for this team to gel. If we can stay within a couple of games of .500 and then get Frank back some time in May, we'll be on track for a shot at the division.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-03-2005, 11:21 PM
I agree. This team is Ozzie's making, not KW's. Ozzie wanted the speed, defense, and "smallball" team and KW got Ozzie the players he wanted. If this season is a disaster, then Ozzie should go before KW does.

But Kenny hired Ozzie. I'm a fan of Kenny Williams and I'd like to see him keep the position long term. For one, I think he himself squeezes a couple extra mil out of JR every year. But the bottom line is the bottom line. Kenny has yet to have a team win a single playoff GAME. Jeez! This team has to change that or Kenny should be the one on the hot seat.

Mohoney
04-04-2005, 04:26 AM
Garland looked fine in my view. He was throwing a lot of strikes and the only runs he gave up were on a Vladamir Guerrero-style golfswing home run by Lee. The pitch was way out of the zone and that was pretty flukey. 6 hits allowed is mediocre, but there werent many extra-base hits besides the flukey home run by Lee. Otherwise I saw him strikeout 4 batters and walk none and give up no other runs besides that homer.

Personally, I don't trust Garland as far as I can throw him, but you're right on the money when you say that he looked good. He was throwing some HEAVY sinkers at 91, 92 mph and locating pretty much exactly where he wanted. He threw good pitches, and I don't know how Lee hit that pitch out.

That was right up there with the best I've ever seen him look, both in stuff and command.

santo=dorf
04-04-2005, 04:29 AM
But Kenny hired Ozzie. I'm a fan of Kenny Williams and I'd like to see him keep the position long term. For one, I think he himself squeezes a couple extra mil out of JR every year. But the bottom line is the bottom line. Kenny has yet to have a team win a single playoff GAME. Jeez! This team has to change that or Kenny should be the one on the hot seat.

Kenny wanted Gaston, but Reinsdorf requested for KW to have a second interview with Guillen (I believe at an airport.)

Let's stop looking at the worst case senario and just enjoy some baseball! :gulp:

Iwritecode
04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
About the 2 baserunning "blunders" that occured on Saturday.

IMO, there really wasn't anything the guys could have done. Both times they were a good 10-15 feet off the bag and the ball got to the pitcher in less than a second. They were caught in no-man's land and couldn't have made it back to the bag if they tried.

At least when it happend to Uribe, he was smart enough to head towards 3rd and take enough time to allow Pods to get to second.

BTW, did anyone catch exactly what happened when Iguchi got run over/tackled? I watched the throw to first and when I looked back, he was laying on the ground with somebody on top of him. :?: