PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of Miller Park

MarkZ35
04-02-2005, 05:17 PM
What a fabulous park? This weeked being my first time there i was very impressed with it. I liked everything in the park except the food. I thought it was a little below par and they didn't have churros. I got Rowand's autograph at Fridays game. They have so many different angles and views of the field that you don't get at Comiskey or most other parks. Parking was very cheap at $6. Dissapointing that the Sox dropped both games but at least they were close. I met some great Sox fans up there and ran into a few people from the site. But overall I think it's a great park and I know I'll make more trips up there.

What did everyone else think of it?

Whitesox029
04-02-2005, 05:19 PM
What a fabulous park? This weeked being my first time there i was very impressed with it. I liked everything in the park except the food. I thought it was a little below par and they didn't have churros. I got Rowand's autograph at Fridays game. They have so many different angles and views of the field that you don't get at Comiskey or most other parks. Parking was very cheap at $6. Dissapointing that the Sox dropped both games but at least they were close. I met some great Sox fans up there and ran into a few people from the site. But overall I think it's a great park and I know I'll make more trips up there.

My only beef was that the lower deck is not sloped enough. This means that the person in front of you is less than 6 inches lower than you, which is tough for a short guy like me.

Banix12
04-02-2005, 05:24 PM
The only problem I ever had with the food is the selection. There really isn't much. However you can't really go wrong with any of the sausages. Gotta love the brats.

I was still a bit dissapointed when I figured out the secret stadium sauce was just Arby's Sauce with another label.

GiveMeSox
04-02-2005, 06:53 PM

I like the park a lot. Very modern, clean, fan friendly. The sight lines were great. THe only thing i didn't like was the food selection and the utter size of the facility. For being a retro park it really doesn't have that cozy feeling you find at Camden Yards, SBC, PNC, etc. Its a large facility yes, but the structures gigantic framing pieces are out in the open. You walk around and are dwarfed by a huge upper deck, huge steel I beams, trusses, supports and such. While I like the layout of the park its size is a little intimidating and I think the Cell even provides more for that cozy feeling. I did love the $6 parking however. All in all a good place to see a game, very hassle free.

whitesoxwilkes
04-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Miller Park is my favorite NL park, hands down.

MRKARNO
04-02-2005, 07:36 PM
I thought it was decent, but I thought it wasn't as good as the other retractable dome stadium I've been to (the BOB). It's a solid park but I could see how on an overcast day with 15,000 fans that the stadium would seem pretty dreary, as some have stated in other places about the park. Food selection was just decent compared to other newer parks I've been to (SBC and the BOB come to mind as having significantly better food selection, but also at sky-high prices).

cwsfannick
04-02-2005, 07:41 PM
I enjoyed my first experience to Miller Park. It was very clean, spacious concourse and tailgating area is above average with the covered clubhouses.

I wonder if milwaukee would ever decide to utilize this facility for a college bowl game?

SOX ADDICT '73
04-02-2005, 07:47 PM
The retractable roof is nice, since you'd never have to worry about a rain-out.

The food quality was pretty good, particularly the brats and sauerkraut, and other than the blatant lack of churros, I don't know that I'd agree that the selection left something to be desired. I ate until I was sick both days, and never had the same type of food twice!

The view of the game was great, but then we were right behind home plate (17 rows up on Friday, 16 today).

They sure do have a lot of unusual traditions/gimmicks/giveaways up there! It makes it pretty interesting for the fans, but I was waiting for the emcee-chick to say, "Okay Brewers fans, it's the middle of the sixth inning! Time to rotate in place while hopping up and down on one foot and rubbing your belly, and someone from our staff will give you free sausages!"

This concerns the Milwaukee fans rather than the park, but they seemed okay to me. They gave Pods a warmer reception than we gave Carlos, but most of them were duds. None of the people I was sitting near today felt like talking much, but at least they weren't obnoxious. I did notice 2 major exceptions, though to be fair, one of them was a sCrUBS fan. He kept calling AJ "C.C." (clubhouse cancer), and like most of their idiot following, couldn't get his facts straight (said Frank was refusing a minor league rehab assignment - not true! Frank just thinks it'll take fewer at-bats to work his way back up).

The other was the guy who kept blowing his trumpet. Did anyone else want to shove a handful of cheese fries right into his blow-hole? I guess I wouldn't have minded as much if he'd only done it between ABs, rather than when Garland or Politte were in their windup. I'm surprised they allow that sort of thing. If I showed up with an air-horn and blew it every time a Brewer was about to pitch or swing, I'd have gotten tossed out!

Overall, a very good experience, despite the outcomes of the games!

C-Dawg
04-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Today was my second visit to Miller Park. Since I went by myself, I got there right when the gates opened so I could explore the place and check out as many views as I could. I found a lot of narrow stairways and low ramps I never noticed before; I think there are actually places where you might bump your head if you're tall. I like how the Friday's bar is so handily available from the main concourse and not down in a corner like our Bullpen Bar is (its not near the entrance I use since I come from the CTA).

Another area I liked was the "Beerpen" in the UD above RF; its just a small patio area with tables and a serving area, and a cool graphic of a catcher. But it seemed to me to be a cool area to hang out during a game.

Brian26
04-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Interesting thread. I was able to go up there for the first ever game in March of 2001. I've driven by it several times since then on trips up north. The thing that stands out most about the park that it is completely out of proportion for the size and population of Milwaukee. It's just such a monster of a structure. Otherwise, it's a pretty cool park...somewhat of a nice combination of classic baseball field design and 21st century architecture.

DaveIsHere
04-02-2005, 08:11 PM
The wife nad I enjoyed ourselves, we were in Section 120, just to the 3rd bas side behind home plate in Row 3. THese seats were very close, we learned this in the 1st when overbay fouled a pitch that just went over our heads. We had a good time as there were some young guys right behind us and we cheered on whoever was in the on deck circle for our Sox. We got nods from most of he players, most noteably was Iguchi, he was on deck and we were all chanting "GOOCH GOOCH..." and he gave us a look and smile followed by a nod.

I missed the play when he got plowed over, what happened there?? I was looking over at 1st base and then saw Ichich flopping on the ground. Nice park, I did not like the food, beer was goo of course. I thought the lay out was weird on the concourses. In addition, I didnt like having to walk around the whole concourse to have a smoke, I like to have a smoke when I wun up to grab a beer. Anyway it was a good time

SOX ADDICT '73
04-02-2005, 08:16 PM
The thing that stands out most about the park that it is completely out of proportion for the size and population of Milwaukee. It's just such a monster of a structure.
Agreed - we were marvelling at the vastness of it. Anyone know the seating capacity off-hand? And has it ever been filled (like when the sCrUBS fans migrate north, fulfilling Selig's wet-dream scenario)? Didn't they host a recent All-Star game?

cwsfannick
04-02-2005, 08:19 PM
One big thing I noticed on Friday was that the roof was leaking in different areas. Most noticeably was 4 seats to my right. This went on for the first half of the game.

NSSoxFan
04-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Agreed - we were marvelling at the vastness of it. Anyone know the seating capacity off-hand? And has it ever been filled (like when the sCrUBS fans migrate north, fulfilling Selig's wet-dream scenario)? Didn't they host a recent All-Star game?

42,400. I'm sure it has been filled several times since opening. The did host the ASG in 2002, the infamous tied game.

C-Dawg
04-02-2005, 09:04 PM
And has it ever been filled (like when the sCrUBS fans migrate north, fulfilling Selig's wet-dream scenario)?

I've always assumed that was the one and only reason the Brewers moved over to the NL.

MIgrenade
04-02-2005, 09:32 PM
I've been to the park a few times and I've always felt the same way about it. I feel like I'm watching a gigantic big screen with the game on. I don't know how else to explain it but my girlfriend agreed with that assesment. It's clean, cheap, and nice but there's something that isn't right. Maybe I'm just used to the Cell.

The Critic
04-02-2005, 10:10 PM
I like the park quite a bit, but I do have a couple very minor complaints:

We were in the RF bleachers and the second level of bleachers seem too close overhead. A bit of a claustrophobic feeling, but not too much so.
Can't see the scoreboard as a result of the overhanging 2nd deck. TVs on the pillars were a nice touch.
Noticed the leaks as well. Kinda funny.

Other than that, it's a really nice place. I too liked Bank One Ballpark a little better - you don't get as much of a warehouse feel from BOB as you do at Miller, but it's not bad.
People were nice, even to "the enemy". Of course, I married a Wisconsinite, so I may be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.:D:
Beer was good, as is to be expected. Didn't eat there, so I can't comment.
6 dollar parking is a rare treat - even the "preferred" parking is 5 bucks cheaper than USCF.

I'm going there again in September for Carlos Lee bobblehead day. Should be fun.

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2005, 10:21 PM
I like the park quite a bit, but I do have a couple very minor complaints:

We were in the RF bleachers and the second level of bleachers seem too close overhead. A bit of a claustrophobic feeling, but not too much so.
Can't see the scoreboard as a result of the overhanging 2nd deck. TVs on the pillars were a nice touch.
Noticed the leaks as well. Kinda funny.

Other than that, it's a really nice place. I too liked Bank One Ballpark a little better - you don't get as much of a warehouse feel from BOB as you do at Miller, but it's not bad.
People were nice, even to "the enemy". Of course, I married a Wisconsinite, so I may be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.:D:
Beer was good, as is to be expected. Didn't eat there, so I can't comment.
6 dollar parking is a rare treat - even the "preferred" parking is 5 bucks cheaper than USCF.

I'm going there again in September for Carlos Lee bobblehead day. Should be fun.Why can't we sing "Roll Out the Barrel" at Comiskey, too?

Also, did you catch the April 16th promotion?

April 16: WDA Anti- Spit Tobacco Kids Comic Book
The first 10,000 kids 16 and under will receive a Brewers Comic Book featuring Damian Miller and Ben Sheets of the B-Force fighting off the evil Spit Tobacco Monster "Gross Mouth" while teaching kids the dangers of chewing tobacco. Compliments of the Wisconsin Dental Association.
What does that say about their fan base when they have to start handing out comic books discouraging the kids from chewing tobacco?:o:

The Critic
04-02-2005, 10:27 PM
More than a few of the people I've met through my wife's friends look like they started chewing at 16 or younger, or at least smokin' and drinkin'....
...not that there's anything WRONG with that.....:D:

FedEx227
04-02-2005, 10:30 PM
What does that say about their fan base when they have to start handing out comic books discouraging the kids from chewing tobacco?:o:

Whatever it takes to stop that evil "Gross Mouth" is okay with me!!

ewokpelts
04-02-2005, 11:26 PM
overall nice...but better with roof open..THEn it FEELS like a ballpark...feels like a sams club with roof closed.

Gene

TDog
04-03-2005, 03:52 PM
I...We were in the RF bleachers and the second level of bleachers seem too close overhead. A bit of a claustrophobic feeling, but not too much so.
Noticed the leaks as well. Kinda funny....

I haven't been to Miller Park since 2003, and I'm surprised to read that the roof STILL leaks. The retractable roof really is the only thing the park has going for it. I have been in the RF bleachers a few times, because I went to the games to see someone in the visiting bullpen. Seeing the game, as well as the scoreboard, is a problem there. There also are acoustic problems in those seats. And they aren't the worst seats in the park. There are a lot of bad seats in Miller Park.

BOB is a better stadium, although (and you won't hear anyone write about this or complain about this in Phoenix) it has the steepest upper deck I've ever sat in.

robertks61
04-03-2005, 04:14 PM
I like it but I think they could have done a few things better. I've been there about 6 times. Playing with the roof closed makes you feel like your in a warehouse. Much better during a day game with the sun out and the roof opened. I do miss County Stadium though. The food was better and it had some excellent sight lines.

Wsoxmike59
04-03-2005, 04:56 PM
While I wasn't up at Miller Park for this particular series, I have been there twice. Once for an early season game in April with the roof closed, (which was very nice on that chilly Sunday) and once a little later in the year and the roof was open.

My take on Miller Park is that is an excellent facility, it's very clean and laid out very well. I loved their Diamond Vision Scoreboard, it's a 1000% improvement over the old County Stadium video board.

The first time I visited the park I got there very early and I got to go around and explore all the seating views on the 2nd Level (where our seats were) and I came away very impressed with the sightlines.

The 2nd time I went we got there late to the game due to a bad traffic jam on the expressway heading to the park. That game we were in the 3rd Level behind home plate. Miller Park's 3rd Level is considered "Club Level" and it's at least as high as where our Upper Deck begins.

I haven't sat in the 1st or 4th deck there, and I really have no desire to sit way up there unless the Brewers are playing the White Sox in the World Series! :D:

Rocklive99
04-03-2005, 05:05 PM
It was a real nice park, I'd pick the Cell any day of the week. I thought the whole indoor/retractable cool thing was cool at first, but at the game I thought it felt a little fake, everything else of the park was great though, and it is obviously great for April and rainy days. Still, for me, nothing beats walking into the Cell and the whole environment; the smell, the vendors we are familiar with and their style, I love it.

Palehose13
04-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I've been there a few times, and I think it is a bit over rated. While it is a nice facility, I don't think that it has anything on Comiskey. Here is what I don't like about Miller Park:

1. The roof: Warehouse feel when it's closed, and something still not right when it is open (I think it is because of the glass panels on the sides. It feels like someone wanted a convertible car, but ended up getting one with a sunroof instead.

2. Lower concourse: Zig-zags and a pain in the butt. Why can't I see the game when I'm walking around?

3. I feel that levels 2-4 are too far from the field. I have sat in level 4 down the RF line and you can't see a good portion of the corner from there.

4. Sure, it's clean...but I feel that it is sterile. That's too bad for a city that is definitely full of character like Milwaukee.

Regarding the food...I agree that there isn't much of a choice, but did anyone try the Cactus League Nachos? They are sold in carts around the concourse. WE NEED THOSE at Comiskey. They're awesome!

robertks61
04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Regarding the food...I agree that there isn't much of a choice, but did anyone try the Cactus League Nachos? They are sold in carts around the concourse. WE NEED THOSE at Comiskey. They're awesome!

They were awesome, I had them with chicken and a cold Leinenkugel Red.

C-Dawg
04-03-2005, 07:15 PM
2. Lower concourse: Zig-zags and a pain in the butt. Why can't I see the game when I'm walking around?

Yeah ain't that the truth! I actually had the feeling that it was easy to get lost; I came out of the gift shop and due to the flow of people going by I actually had to think about which was the direction I needed to go. I can't imagine what a cluster it would be if there was a full house.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-03-2005, 11:43 PM
A couple scoreboard issues, PK must've hit some lights in BP ;)
Yeah, I noticed that too. I kept thinking, "Isn't it somebody's job to get the scoreboard ready for the season?" I mean, they've had roughly six months to make sure it was functioning properly. I also noticed that their scoreboard showed an "upcoming" promotion taking place on April 10, 2004!

Irishsox1
04-04-2005, 12:27 AM
My complaint about Miller is the outfield. If a homerun is hit, it often hits a beam or a wall and bounces back on the field. Homeruns there usually don't land in the stands, and thats boring. As for the roof, the design is really stupid once you've been to Seattle's park. On the whole, Safeco is a lot better than Miller. The Brewers older stadium was better, but it had no luxury boxes, so tear it down!

ewokpelts
04-04-2005, 10:00 AM
My complaint about Miller is the outfield. If a homerun is hit, it often hits a beam or a wall and bounces back on the field. Homeruns there usually don't land in the stands, and thats boring. As for the roof, the design is really stupid once you've been to Seattle's park. On the whole, Safeco is a lot better than Miller. The Brewers older stadium was better, but it had no luxury boxes, so tear it down!
:tool
see...someone agreed with me!

Procol Harum
04-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Burning question--do they still have the scoreboard video featuring the Rally Bunny????

maurice
04-04-2005, 02:10 PM
I liked the park. The dome came in handy on a drippy, early-April day. The food was adequate, and the parking was inexpensive and convenient.

On the flip side, the park is completely separated from any discernable neighborhood . . . much more so than the Cell. I agree with PH13 that Milwaukee neighborhoods are nice (I walked around the city for hours on Friday) and that the zig-zag concourse (reminicent of Jacob's Field) is annoying.

Iwritecode
04-04-2005, 04:30 PM
I liked the park as well. Easy to get to and really cheap parking. Having the roof was nice because although it was fairly warm, the wind chill was a bit cool in the shadows. Maybe it was just me but I thought the park felt pretty small. It might have been because of the roof and/or the size of the crowd as well.

The seats I had were awesome (club level) and even included food service. The only time I had to get out of my seat was to hit the restrooms.

Except for the Sox losing, it was a good experience overall. Hope to go again some day. :D:

skobabe8
04-04-2005, 05:07 PM
I liked the park. The dome came in handy on a drippy, early-April day. The food was adequate, and the parking was inexpensive and convenient.

On the flip side, the park is completely separated from any discernable neighborhood . . . much more so than the Cell. I agree with PH13 that Milwaukee neighborhoods are nice (I walked around the city for hours on Friday) and that the zig-zag concourse (reminicent of Jacob's Field) is annoying.

That was one thing I didnt like about The Jake, and was wondering if Miller Park was modeled the same way. Thats what it sounds like. For anyone who has been to Jacobs Field, are the concourses similar?

joepoe
04-05-2005, 08:53 AM
I was real near you Saturday. I was the guy with the 11 yr old twin girls in white white sox caps. You are right about trumpet guy. I was two rows directly in front of him. My ears are still ringing.

The view of the game was great, but then we were right behind home plate (17 rows up on Friday, 16 today).

The other was the guy who kept blowing his trumpet. Did anyone else want to shove a handful of cheese fries right into his blow-hole? I guess I wouldn't have minded as much if he'd only done it between ABs, rather than when Garland or Politte were in their windup. I'm surprised they allow that sort of thing. If I showed up with an air-horn and blew it every time a Brewer was about to pitch or swing, I'd have gotten tossed out!

Overall, a very good experience, despite the outcomes of the games!

whitesoxwilkes
04-05-2005, 09:18 AM
That was one thing I didnt like about The Jake, and was wondering if Miller Park was modeled the same way. Thats what it sounds like. For anyone who has been to Jacobs Field, are the concourses similar?

Yes they are.

crazyozzie02
04-05-2005, 10:06 AM
To tell you the truth i was disappointed by the park. I thought it was going to be so cool just by seeing the movie "Mr. 3000" but it is sooo overly hyped. Rowand and Everett said they couldnt see the ball becasue of the glass and i would believe them. I have been to 5 stadiums:

1-Cominskey (sorry about the spelling)
2-Skydome
3-Jacobs Field
4-Wrigely
5-Miller Park

By far i think Miller Park is the worst one that i have been to since. If anyone want to pitch in on this ranking of parks listed above go right ahead. Also if you need reasoning for these rankings i am more than ready with a response.

maurice
04-05-2005, 02:37 PM
If I had to rank just those five, it would look something like this:
1- The Cell
2 - Jacob's Field
3 - Miller Park
4 - SkyDome
. . .
473 - The Urinal

:gulp:

Tekijawa
04-05-2005, 03:07 PM
We weren't able to take advantage of one of the better Aspects of the park, they have $5 seats in the upper deck, and yo can actually see a good game from them! I think that the corners at Comiskey should have $5 price tags on most nights.

Ol' No. 2
04-05-2005, 03:36 PM
To tell you the truth i was disappointed by the park. I thought it was going to be so cool just by seeing the movie "Mr. 3000" but it is sooo overly hyped. Rowand and Everett said they couldnt see the ball becasue of the glass and i would believe them. I have been to 5 stadiums:

1-Cominskey (sorry about the spelling)
2-Skydome
3-Jacobs Field
4-Wrigely
5-Miller Park

By far i think Miller Park is the worst one that i have been to since. If anyone want to pitch in on this ranking of parks listed above go right ahead. Also if you need reasoning for these rankings i am more than ready with a response.You must be kidding. Skydome is awful.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-05-2005, 09:12 PM
It's a VERY ANNOYING park to try and talk baseball between innings. Every flippen half inning some fake-blond SCREAMS into a microphone about something generally stupid. I was actually sitting around some cool Brewers fans. We kept trying to talk baseball betwen innings, but just gave up trying to yell over the bim. Get rid of her, and we really enjoyed the rest of the entire Miller Park experience.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-05-2005, 09:19 PM
I did notice 2 major exceptions, though to be fair, one of them was a sCrUBS fan. He kept calling AJ "C.C." (clubhouse cancer), and like most of their idiot following, couldn't get his facts straight (said Frank was refusing a minor league rehab assignment - not true! Frank just thinks it'll take fewer at-bats to work his way back up).

My apologies.:redface: I brought that goofy Scrub fan with me. He's my Uncle John and he tends to think that if you repeat something that is wrong about the Sox over and over and louder and louder, it somehow becomes true in his Cub-mind. Your assessment of him is dead on, he generally doesn't get his facts straight. But yet it doesn't seem to bother him.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-05-2005, 11:43 PM
everyone thinks i'm crazy...but m.p. sucks. maybe it's the hokey atmosphere, the roof that works like a rusted-out door on a 82 honda civic, or lack of sunlight even when the roof is open.

that being said i'll be there for their opening day getting trashed with the crew from points east pub