PDA

View Full Version : List of ESPN "Experts" predictions

Banix12
04-02-2005, 05:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=05expertpicks

I'm noticing that the Twins winning the world series appears to be a popular pick with many of the head writers like Gammons, Stark, Olney, and Crasnick

Stark even has a nice big article on the subject... http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2027959

I personally see this as a great thing, since they historically seem to be wrong. I'm a bit disturbed that Neyer is the only person picking the sox to win the division, mostly because I don't really like Rob Neyer.

MeanFish
04-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Rob Neyer picking the Sox is a double-edged sword. On the one hand he's as arrogant as they come and tends not to know the specifics about lesser known teams, but on the other he probably understands the game better than any of the other, more sensationalistic ESPN writers.

Basically, if anyone working for ESPN could succeed as a general manager in today's era, he's it. Having said that, I feel pretty good that Rob Neyer picked us to win.

Foulke You
04-02-2005, 10:05 PM
So...will the Twins still go on their annual tirade about how they get no respect. I can hear Torii Hunter now "Man, we just don't get any respect, that's just the way it is...nobody gives us a chance, I don't know what we have to do!"

I hope someone points this out to the Twins that almost every single writer for ESPN picked them to win the AL Central.

ChiSoxRowand
04-02-2005, 11:00 PM
I can't believe stark said the Twins have depth in their rotation. My ass. You always hear ESPN people talking about how we have too many question marks in our rotation with Hernandez, Contreras, and Garland. Yet you never hear them say that about the Twins with Lohse, Silva, and Mays. Top to bottom, our rotation is the best in the division.

PAPChiSox729
04-02-2005, 11:23 PM
I can't believe stark said the Twins have depth in their rotation. My ass. You always hear ESPN people talking about how we have too many question marks in our rotation with Hernandez, Contreras, and Garland. Yet you never hear them say that about the Twins with Lohse, Silva, and Mays. Top to bottom, our rotation is the best in the division.

The Twins rotation is very good. It is pretty darn close between the Sox and Twinkies. Garcia and Buehrle are good but Radke and Santana are just better. Jon Garland is better then Kyle Lohse. Contreras and Hernandez are the keys to this rotation. They have potential to be great or horrible. No one can predict how they will do. Mays and Lohse are a little more consistent. That is probably why the experts pick the Twins rotation since ours is so unpredictable. We will see who has the better rotation once the season actually starts.

FedEx227
04-02-2005, 11:32 PM
I think I'm going to stop going to any baseball site and stop watching any baseball program until a good chunk of the season goes by....I mean would it kill SOMEBODY to give the Sox you know a little credit other than the annoyingly repetitive (they lost so much power).

Johnny Mostil
04-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Anybody notice Mark Simon has Brandon McCarthy as rookie of the year?

MRKARNO
04-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Rob Neyer really isn't that bad of a guy and I'm not just saying that because he picked the White Sox. He obviously sees something in the team that a lot of the other prognosticators over at ESPN do not. He's a lot better than a lot of the other idiots they have over there such as Steve Phillips.

ChiSoxJay
04-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Did anyone happen to hear Harold Reynolds on baseball tonight claiming that the Cubs have the best bullpen in the NL Central? That statement alone destroys what little credibility Harold might of had.

Banix12
04-03-2005, 10:58 AM

Radke and Santana are probably the best 1-2 punch in baseball but I mostly agree with you about the rest of the rotation.

I mostly think Silva was lucky last year and the product of a good defense. That's just my opinion but he has incredibly low strikeout totals (only 76 in over 200 innings) and he gives up a lot of hits (255). Only two other pitchers gave up more hits last season than Silva, Buehrle (who gave up 257 in 40 more innings) and Sidney Ponson, who had the worst season of his life. Lohse has been getting worse each year in the league at a worse rate than anybody in the sox rotation. Mays is coming off a 2 year layoff and wasn't all that great before that.

As for us, I'd say Buehrle and Garcia are a good 1-2 punch and probably around the 5th or 6th best in baseball, second in the division. If Hernandez is healthy he's better than any of the twins final three. Garland is a bad-luck pitcher but still consistantly wins 12, as good or better than anything they have. Contreras will lose big time 1/3 of the time but be lights out the other 2/3. He can be a 15-20 game winner with a +5 ERA. He's not consistant but he gives you his best more than half the time.

StockdaleForVeep
04-03-2005, 12:20 PM
I find it oddly humerous that many still pick the cubs to go far, despite losing 2 power hr hitters and that prior and woods health are suspect

I was in vegas when prior had his ulnar nerve issue and cubs were 4\1 faves for world series, i believe boston was 6\1

marlins03
04-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Some picks for us too.

woo go Cabs

mrzerofan
04-03-2005, 03:52 PM
See frontpage at espn.com :o:

What the heck? He is talking about the same Twins that are expecting to win with 2 kids at SS and 3B? You've gotta be kidding.:angry:

Let's begin the old "flyin under the radar" again...:D:

FGarcia34
04-03-2005, 04:01 PM
espn.com has released its "expert" predictions on who they believe will win the divisions and win it all...nealy all of them have the twins winning the division and most of them have the twins reaching the world series and some have them winning it all. they also released the pre-season power rankings where both the twins and indians are found in the top 10. i dont blame them for putting those teams in front of the white sox, however the chisox are at 22...and how can they justify these teams having that much better of a team than the white sox? our rotation is by far the best in the division and i would have to say the same about our infield as well. outfield and bullpen goes to the twins and catching would go to the tigers with cleveland being pretty solid at all the places except their bullpen.

im just anxious to get this season started tommorrow simply because of one reason, all the sox bashing and talk is just that, we can let our play do the talking for us and it will be humorous to see how many of these so-called "experts" jump on the bandwagon at the all-star break.

PAPChiSox729
04-03-2005, 04:02 PM
See frontpage at espn.com :o:

What the heck? He is talking about the same Twins that are expecting to win with 2 kids at SS and 3B? You've gotta be kidding.:angry:

Let's begin the old "flyin under the radar" again...:D:

Well, I hate to admit it but the Twins are a pretty darn good team. Yeah their shortstop and third basemen are unproven, but the Twins still deserve some respect. If the Sox don't make the playoffs, then I would rather see the Twins win it all rather then the Yanks or BoSox. I picked the Sox to win the division but it will be a good race throughout the season. I would rather finish second to the world champions rather then team that gets eliminated in the ALDS.

Banix12
04-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Well, I hate to admit it but the Twins are a pretty darn good team. Yeah their shortstop and third basemen are unproven, but the Twins still deserve some respect. If the Sox don't make the playoffs, then I would rather see the Twins win it all rather then the Yanks or BoSox. I picked the Sox to win the division but it will be a good race throughout the season. I would rather finish second to the world champions rather then team that gets eliminated in the ALDS.

The Twins do deserve a lot of respect. They are a very good team. I just think a lot of people are overrating them right now. The pundits are just looking at Santana, Mauer and Morneau and drooling on themselves.

That rotation isn't deep, they only really had four starters all last season and other than Nathan and their two primary setup man, the bullpen wasn't especially deep. Their defense has kept them dangerous, and losing the left half of the infield and using players who are essentially rookies at 1st and Catcher isn't gonna help that D. It's still gonna be a good defense but if that left side of the infield struggles defensively Silva is gonna have an ERA over seven

CPditka
04-03-2005, 10:37 PM
I didnt feel like this deserved its own thread but this bothered me...

Choices for AL Cy Young in ESPN's "Sportsnation Poll"

Jeremy Bonderman, DetroitZack Greinke, Kansas City

The rest you would rather expect, except for the fact there is NO Mark and no Freddy. I can live w/o Freddy, but MB as opposed to these jokes, Damn.

Oh yeah Paulie is the only WS who is included in the voting in any way shape or form, he is up for "AL Home Run Champ".

Enjoy

Fake Chet Lemon
04-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Did anyone happen to hear Harold Reynolds on baseball tonight claiming that the Cubs have the best bullpen in the NL Central? That statement alone destroys what little credibility Harold might of had.

:rolling:

Young Gun
04-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Yay for Rob Neyer!:rolleyes:

PAPChiSox729
04-06-2005, 08:03 PM
I didnt feel like this deserved its own thread but this bothered me...

Choices for AL Cy Young in ESPN's "Sportsnation Poll"

Jeremy Bonderman, DetroitZack Greinke, Kansas City

The rest you would rather expect, except for the fact there is NO Mark and no Freddy. I can live w/o Freddy, but MB as opposed to these jokes, Damn.

Oh yeah Paulie is the only WS who is included in the voting in any way shape or form, he is up for "AL Home Run Champ".

Enjoy

Well, in their defense, they are some nice young pitchers who will have future success. But this year for Cy Young? I don't think so. I would pick both Freddy and Mark over those two.

SOXPHILE
04-06-2005, 11:41 PM
:boston "Who are these 'White Sox' many of you keep refering to ? The only team with the word Sox in it's name has the word Red in front of it, and is fortunate to play in the greatest building ever built in the universe, in the city of Boston. Plus, the only profesional team in Chicago resides in a beautiful ivy covered paradise, which is in fact the 2nd greatest building in the universe. Now, here are my predictions..."

MeanFish
04-06-2005, 11:59 PM
:boston "Who are these 'White Sox' many of you keep refering to ? The only team with the word Sox in it's name has the word Red in front of it, and is fortunate to play in the greatest building ever built in the universe, in the city of Boston. Plus, the only profesional team in Chicago resides in a beautiful ivy covered paradise, which is in fact the 2nd greatest building in the universe. Now, here are my predictions..."

To be fair, Boston Gammons gives us a much fairer shake than, say, the BBTN crew. He projected us to make the WS as recently as 10 months ago.