PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions of ComCast's Spring Training coverage?

SOX ADDICT '73
04-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Now that ST is nearly over, I was wondering what everybody thought about ComCast broadcasting almost every game out of Tuscon. IIRC, this is the first time we've been privy to so much Spring coverage. In years past, we'd get the obligatory blurb and snippet of footage on the 10:00 news. But this year we were able to see just about every inning; we got to know the names, faces, and skills of the up-and-coming players; the roster moves make more sense because we've seen what everybody can do. A few questions/points you may ponder before replying:

1. How many of you were able to watch the games live? Due to the early game times, I was forced to record the weekday games and watch them at night.

2. Is this something ComCast plans to continue, or just a gimmick to begin their first year of broadcasting baseball? I'm sure ratings will play a big role in that decision (see #1).

3. Anybody have opinions of the actual broadcasts? Such as their screen graphics or camera work? It seemed to me it was a little harder (than on FSN) to tell if there were runners on base in the info-bar at the top of the screen, and I'm one who needs to see the MPH on every pitch.

4. Has seeing so much baseball in March tarnished the lustre of Opening Day for any of you? As for me, it's only whetted my appetite even more. I can't wait to see our boys pour it on when it matters.

Well, I'm offline until tomorrow night, as I'm leaving for both games in Milwaukee:bandance: ! Hope to see many of you there.

rdwj
04-01-2005, 03:50 PM
I'd give them an A!

1. The day games are tough, but many times, there was an evening replay - which was great.

2. I'm sure this will continue - they need to broadcast something. Hockey may make a difference - we'll see.

3. I, for one, don't need bars with stats running past me every second of the game. There wasn't anything obnoxious - so it's fine by me.

4. God no - I'm as excited, if not more excited than every year.

I want Mags back
04-01-2005, 05:42 PM
I'd give them an A!

1. The day games are tough, but many times, there was an evening replay - which was great.

2. I'm sure this will continue - they need to broadcast something. Hockey may make a difference - we'll see.

3. I, for one, don't need bars with stats running past me every second of the game. There wasn't anything obnoxious - so it's fine by me.

4. God no - I'm as excited, if not more excited than every year.

I Dont understand what hockey will do, if the Sox play at 2, and hawks at 7:30

Banix12
04-01-2005, 05:43 PM
1. Yeah, my work schedule allowed me to watch most of them live, though I did like that most of the games would get rerun at night, for when I couldn't watch them live.

2. I'm sure it will continue. It's original sports programming and it's gonna get higher ratings than indoor soccer, darts, and reruns of "The Tim McCarver Show". That and I bet in only helps to increase TV ratings for the team during the season. Word has it the cubs are gonna look into doing the same thing so I don't know how that would interfere.

3. The overall video and technical quality appeared to be better than that of Fox Sports Net. Yeah the info bar can be refined, but I think the actual picture and audio quality of the channel is so much better, I don't care. Across the board, comcast is a better channel.

4. If I don't get some baseball that counts soon, i'm gonna explode.

I do like that I have been able to see a lot of the minor leaguers, we got a look at Brandon McCarthy before everybody in the nation caught on to what a talent he is. However I think an added effect of watching most of the games on comcast, is I now agree with the players, Spring Training is at least a week too long.

SOXSINCE'70
04-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Personally,I love the coverage.The ST games are interesting in that
they give you a chance to see players you might not hear a lot about
in daily newspaper rundowns (Pablo Osuna).And if not for these games,
how would Sox fans know what they have to look forward to once
Brandon McCarthy comes to the big club??

PAPChiSox729
04-01-2005, 06:16 PM
I have only got to watch a couple games on CSN, but they seems pretty good to me. The only thing that bothered me was the runners on base info bar. I always had to double-check to make sure what bases were occupied. Maybe I am just blind. Overall, the coverage is pretty good.

zach074
04-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Considering I just got it 2 days ago from what I have seen I have liked.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2005, 07:01 PM
In the few games I saw (Dish Network) I thought it was tremendous. Why? For a few less then obvious reasons:

1. No goofy, redundent, stat geek ticker continually spewing the same statistics over and over and over and over and over on the bottom of the screen. (I mean I REALLY want to know how many hits Ichiro has against left handers pitchers with six or less letters in their last name!)

2. The game summery at the top of the screen isn't as large and obtrusive as the old Fox Sports one.

Seriously what's the point of getting larger and larger TV screens when more and more of the screen is being taken up by crawls, tickers, boxes, timers and other such garbage.

Comcast has gone 'back to the future.' The screen isn't as crowded and that allows the viewer to actually SEE what the hell is going on, on the field. Which is the point of the exercise isn't it friends and neighbors?

Lip

Alanzo
04-01-2005, 07:20 PM
IIRC sometimes they were a bit lazy showing the pitch count, # of outs, people on base... that whole bar I guess. A little annoying. I wish they would keep that up the entire time someone is batting.

The Racehorse
04-01-2005, 07:24 PM
I was able to check out almost every ST game, via mlb.tv. This situation is the most obvious example where more is better... kudos to comcast! :gulp:

Fenway
04-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Comcast had 3 goals

1. Filler programming to cover Blackhawks void

2. Have production team get to know each other

3 More games on meant more highlights on 5 and 10 PM news which at least video wise titled in the South Side favor this spring.

From all accounts it went well

Banix12
04-01-2005, 08:27 PM
You know what I kinda like about it, for sure we have seen more white sox baseball this preseason than any of the "experts" probably have seen this preseason. The experts who until now we had to rely on to get our information on the team. Now we can see it firsthand, instead of filtered through soundbites through them. Now maybe they will be ultimately be proven right and we won't finish well, but when it comes to looking at the specific details of the team and the makeup, we all have witnessed way more of the white sox than the "experts"

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
04-01-2005, 11:18 PM
i think it's been great. i've seen almost every game. i taped them while i was at work. i really hope they do it again next year. god help us if the scubs try to broadcast more games. another FIRST in baseball brought to you by the CHICAGO WHITE SOX.

ChiSoxRowand
04-02-2005, 01:40 AM
I have only got to watch a couple games on CSN, but they seems pretty good to me. The only thing that bothered me was the runners on base info bar. I always had to double-check to make sure what bases were occupied. Maybe I am just blind. Overall, the coverage is pretty good.

Yea, I have the same problem with the bases info bar. But that's the only problem I have with Comcast's coverage.

PAPChiSox729
04-02-2005, 10:57 AM
i think it's been great. i've seen almost every game. i taped them while i was at work. i really hope they do it again next year. god help us if the scubs try to broadcast more games. another FIRST in baseball brought to you by the CHICAGO WHITE SOX.

I wonder what Hawk thinks about it... I didn't get a chance to watch most of the games due to Dish Network just getting CSN. But from what I have heard, most people have enjoyed it. It seems to be a huge success. I hope they bring it back next year.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-02-2005, 07:31 PM
You know what I kinda like about it, for sure we have seen more white sox baseball this preseason than any of the "experts" probably have seen this preseason. The experts who until now we had to rely on to get our information on the team. Now we can see it firsthand, instead of filtered through soundbites through them. Now maybe they will be ultimately be proven right and we won't finish well, but when it comes to looking at the specific details of the team and the makeup, we all have witnessed way more of the white sox than the "experts"

:thumbsup: EXCELLENT point! Imagine if we'd had to depend on Bruce LeVineLine for all of our White Sox info this Spring. He'd have half the team traded away!

Realist
04-02-2005, 08:07 PM
It was great getting to see all those spring training games on TV but Comcast really needs to add captioning to their broadcasts. A lot of people watch the Sox games in bars and often the sound is turned down for the juke box.

danjames
04-02-2005, 08:42 PM
It was great getting to see all those spring training games on TV but Comcast really needs to add captioning to their broadcasts. A lot of people watch the Sox games in bars and often the sound is turned down for the juke box.

I don't know, the pictures make it easy enough to follow the game, I think.