PDA

View Full Version : serious question for Bob Brenly

cheeses_h_rice
11-02-2001, 12:27 AM
Your team is leading 2-0 going into the 9th inning.

Do you

A) Start the same 22-year-old who choked away a 2-run lead the night before on a 2-out homer, and then lost the game on ANOTHER homer in the 10th?

or

B) Start a 42-year-old journeyman reliever who has been there, done that, and isn't likely to get rattled?

Gee, I think we know the answer to that question now...

Iwritecode
11-02-2001, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Your team is leading 2-0 going into the 9th inning.

Do you

A) Start the same 22-year-old who choked away a 2-run lead the night before on a 2-out homer, and then lost the game on ANOTHER homer in the 10th?

or

B) Start a 42-year-old journeyman reliever who has been there, done that, and isn't likely to get rattled?

Gee, I think we know the answer to that question now...

I vote for C. Get that big 6'10" lefty warming up about the 7th inning and use him in the 9th.

Funny, people always say "If I had to do it all over again, I would do it the same way." That's exactly what Brenly did...

kermittheefrog
11-02-2001, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I vote for C. Get that big 6'10" lefty warming up about the 7th inning and use him in the 9th.

Funny, people always say "If I had to do it all over again, I would do it the same way." That's exactly what Brenly did...

I agree why wasn't the Unit in the game?

Oh and Brenly didn't do it the same way, he did it worse. He went to a tired version of Kim. The guy had only thrown more than 50 pitches 5 times in the last two years. That's 139 apperances. So Brenly decides that he's fine even though he threw 61.

duke of dorwood
11-02-2001, 09:01 AM
:jerry

Must have read my book on strategy

Paulwny
11-02-2001, 09:19 AM
Part of an article by Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun:

It's never a good sign when the visiting team's closer arrives to resounding cheers. That was the case as the announcement of Kim's appearance was greeted with an ovation, as if he was a great New York Yankee of the past returning on old-timers day.

Soxheads
11-02-2001, 09:42 AM
I would've kept Swindell in. Kim is only 22 years old, and he is still a kid out there.

harwar
11-02-2001, 09:57 AM
I just can't believe that a team can make it deep into the World Series with a bullpen that is a total joke.Also,Brenley didn't want to mess with R.Johnson out of the pen.Several times this year when he let him throw too many pitches in a game,he was totally useless the next outting.I think that Johnson will slam the door on the yanks.The question is,if Schilling can come back AGAIN on 3 days rest.I say he can and the D-Backs win the series in 7.

Soxheads
11-02-2001, 10:02 AM
I would also keep Johnson fresh, because he is almost always a guaranteed win when he goes out, and I would rather lose gm5 and win gm6 & 7 with my two stud pitchers.

WinningUgly!
11-02-2001, 01:29 PM
If you guys know what's good for ya, you'll stop bad-mouthing my little brother!

Soxheads
11-02-2001, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
If you guys know what's good for ya, you'll stop bad-mouthing my little brother!

Welllll, ssssooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy :)

OfficerKarkovice
11-02-2001, 02:42 PM
The worst decision they made was bringing in Albie Lopez...that guy sucks.

CerberusWG
11-02-2001, 03:52 PM
We really should of tried a trade for JB and maybe Liefer for Durazo. That guy has some good hitting skills.