PDA

View Full Version : Thurs USA Today's Sports Biz column rips Cell promotions

Bisco Stu
03-31-2005, 11:12 PM
"Which of these won't be a CWS promotion--Mullet Night, Rat Pack Night, Dog Day, Halfway to St. Patrick's Day, This-Team-Sells-Itself Night? The last one isn't scheduled." (By Michael Hiestand)

I kinda agree with the sentiment. Since Bill V died the promotions on the South Side have always rung hollow to me.

Gimme Disco Demolition or gimme death.

South Side
03-31-2005, 11:26 PM
At this point I'd prefer if the Sox were just not written about at all. Ripping promotional nights? Come on...

oeo
04-01-2005, 01:25 AM
At this point I'd prefer if the Sox were just not written about at all. Ripping promotional nights? Come on...

Exactly, I really wouldn't care if they had no promotional nights because they don't bother me. Why do people keep going on about how bad they are (ie Mullet Night)...WHO CARES!

Banix12
04-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Doing things like ripping promotional nights are an easy target for writers of newspapers, because it makes more than adequate filler when you need to shove a story in there when you have nothing else. The information is readily available on all team websites and it's an easy topic to get all high and mighty about. It's a very easy topic for new freelance writers to tackle because the info is so easy to find and newspapers will usually print them.

Case in point, Spiderman 2 day last year, everybody started to get all high and mighty about how "this is the end of baseball as we know it". I worked in talk radio last year during that and the calls were never dumber than that week. Even if they had done the spiderman base thing, nobody would have cared about it a week after it happened.

Ripping promotional nights is largely stupid because the writers are probably never going to go to the game in question. Let the fans go and decide for themselves how dumb the promotion is, and let them have their fun. The writers need to get off their high horse and come out to the park with mullet.

The Racehorse
04-01-2005, 07:04 AM
Another national media-type :dtroll: on the SOX?
Next!

robertks61
04-01-2005, 07:33 AM
I guess Mia Hamm day is a good promotion?

itsnotrequired
04-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Definitely a filler article but I have to admit, I think Mullet Night is one of the dumbest promotions ever. Yeah, Sox fan stereotypes are stupid and all but look for more articles in the future regarding this promotion.

skottyj242
04-01-2005, 08:11 AM
I think these theme nights are alot of fun. Last year's Elvis night was one of the funnest nights I've ever had at the ballpark. It almost made me forget about the beating the Sox just took. Halfway to St. Patrick's day is also a brilliant promotion...anyone who lives or grew up in the Mt. Greenwood/Beverly area knows this is a big night for going out so why not spend it at Comiskey?

Hitmen77
04-01-2005, 08:24 AM
"Which of these won't be a CWS promotion--Mullet Night, Rat Pack Night, Dog Day, Halfway to St. Patrick's Day, This-Team-Sells-Itself Night? The last one isn't scheduled." (By Michael Hiestand)

I kinda agree with the sentiment. Since Bill V died the promotions on the South Side have always rung hollow to me.

I don't get his point. Is he saying that any team that has any promotions is selling itself? Isn't that what teams are supposed to do?

Let's face it, the media will hold the Sox to any standard necessary to portray them in a poor light.

ChiSoxBobette
04-01-2005, 08:50 AM

I think Bill Veeck would love the promotions that we have on the southside, all you have to do is look at other ball teams promotions and I would bet they're a copy in some form of what the White Sox do. as far as Michael Hiestand(?) This team sells itself night who is this guy anyway never heard of the idiot but be assured every scrub promotion would be genius right. Has he attended one of our team promotion nights - NOT! He probably has never even been to US Cell. All you have to do is look throughout this country's sports media outlets whether its TV or newspaper , even our own TV/Newspapers the White Sox get NO Respect None and the morons who say this is just White Sox fan sour grapes are just that MORONS.This team is ripped on for its ballpark, its players, its owner, its promotions, everything why because the White Sox are located in the same city as that other team and its oh so correct to be that other teams fan. All I hope is all this crap about this team is being told to the ballplayers and this year they stepup I would love all of these jerkoffs to have to attend the WS at US Cell. that way real White Sox fans can let them know what we think of them.

COME ON , RIPPING A TEAMS PROMOTIONS

daveeym
04-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Case in point, Spiderman 2 day last year, everybody started to get all high and mighty about how "this is the end of baseball as we know it". I worked in talk radio last year during that and the calls were never dumber than that week. Even if they had done the spiderman base thing, nobody would have cared about it a week after it happened. Oh god do I remember that week. I wonder how many people that made a stink over that because of "tradition" "integrity of the game" etc. where bitching about congress and defending the players saying it's all about entertainment. The threads over the spidey bases were horrendous.

The Racehorse
04-01-2005, 09:43 AM
All you have to do is look throughout this country's sports media outlets whether its TV or newspaper, even our own TV/Newspapers the White Sox get NO Respect None and the morons who say this is just White Sox fan sour grapes are just that MORONS.This team is ripped on for its ballpark, its players, its owner, its promotions, everything why because the White Sox are located in the same city as that other team and its oh so correct to be that other teams fan.
POTW :cool:

PatK
04-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Definitely a filler article but I have to admit, I think Mullet Night is one of the dumbest promotions ever. Yeah, Sox fan stereotypes are stupid and all but look for more articles in the future regarding this promotion.

I dunno, I think the Mullet Night is a brilliant idea.

It's kind of like poking fun at the pre-conceived notion that Sox fans are nothing more than tattoo-laden, drunken white trash.

Tekijawa
04-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Seems to have gone over very well for a Manchester, NH hockey team:

Edit (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=UL&p_theme=ul&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_dispstring=allfields(mullet%20night)%20AND%20dat e(last%206%20months)&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=-6qzM&p_field_advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0=(): Link didn't work, but the Hockey team just had their 3rd Mullet night and announced that it would be the last one, evidently the fans weren't to pleased. It also said that it was their most successful promotion ever.

pssondacubs
04-01-2005, 11:05 AM
How about combining a Trash the Media Day and Dog Day. The fans can lay papers out on the field and the dogs can give them the attention they deserve by crapping on them.

itsnotrequired
04-01-2005, 11:12 AM
I dunno, I think the Mullet Night is a brilliant idea.

It's kind of like poking fun at the pre-conceived notion that Sox fans are nothing more than tattoo-laden, drunken white trash.

It just seems like some flash-in-the-pan promotion. What, Ashton Kutcher has a mullet now? *snore*

JKryl
04-01-2005, 11:45 AM
I guess Mia Hamm day is a good promotion?

Only if she promises to pull off her jersey!

DaleJRFan
04-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Only if she promises to pull off her jersey!

It's a good thing you put that in teal.

Jerko
04-01-2005, 12:11 PM
It's a good thing you put that in teal.

True. I mean, who wants to go where no-mar has gone before?

Stroker Ace
04-01-2005, 01:15 PM
It's pretty sad when a writer starts ripping a teams promotions.

mantis1212
04-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Seems to have gone over very well for a Manchester, NH hockey team:

Edit (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=UL&p_theme=ul&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_dispstring=allfields(mullet%20night)%20AND%20dat e(last%206%20months)&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=-6qzM&p_field_advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0=(): Link didn't work, but the Hockey team just had their 3rd Mullet night and announced that it would be the last one, evidently the fans weren't to pleased. It also said that it was their most successful promotion ever.

Yeah, but that's for a hockey team, a minor league hockey team. The mullet has always been popular in the hockey culture, which is why its also called the hockey-player-haircut by some.

So are we saying the mullet is a popular haircut for the sox fan? I sure hope not

Banix12
04-01-2005, 01:43 PM
So are we saying the mullet is a popular haircut for the sox fan? I sure hope not

It's just something to do, those who want to celebrate mullet night will, those who don't won't. It's not meant to be taken to the level of seriousness that people are taking it. A week after it's done, nobody will care. Hopefully we'll be too busy with a playoff chase to care about it while it's going on.

Charno
04-01-2005, 01:48 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/blackbarbiebaseballLG.gif
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/precious.gif

mantis1212
04-01-2005, 01:57 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/blackbarbiebaseballLG.gif
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/precious.gif

Exactly! Those are the promotions we need!