PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sportsline's Preseason Power Rankings

mikehuff
03-31-2005, 04:49 PM
These preseason predictions keep coming out and the Sox are all over the board. Here's another one to get the WSI regulars fired up...

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8344122

# 17 - Chicago White Sox
The veteran pitching will keep them in things, but the lineup is too underwhelming.

JoseCanseco6969
04-01-2005, 12:21 PM
These preseason predictions keep coming out and the Sox are all over the board. Here's another one to get the WSI regulars fired up...

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8344122

# 17 - Chicago White Sox
The veteran pitching will keep them in things, but the lineup is too underwhelming.

and the Cubs at#8 with the cover story!!! such BS

"OK, Cubs fans, catch your breath and count to 10. Things are not as bad as they might have seemed this spring."

pssondacubs
04-01-2005, 12:24 PM
What a joke, although no surprise from the major media. Still on the Kool-aid after 96 yrs. The best thing about that link is the message board under the article. Notice how many Scrub haters are out there and it's not just on the south side or in St. Louis. :D:

mdep524
04-01-2005, 12:29 PM
17 - Chicago White Sox
The veteran pitching will keep them in things, but the lineup is too underwhelming. Haha, I love how all these "experts" keep using this superficial, unresearched analysis.

I predict we are going to see just the opposite: an elite, veteran offense with an underwhelming starting pitching staff.

DaleJRFan
04-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Can the admins create a sticky thread for all of us to post these URLs to so that when the Sox make the playoffs, we can email / call / etc these publications / authors / experts??

There have been a lot of these types of posts and it would be cool to have them all in one place...

zach074
04-01-2005, 12:50 PM
The poll must be an April Fools Day joke.

Ol' No. 2
04-01-2005, 01:05 PM
This stuff is getting old. All these predictions sound like they're written by the same person. The Sox have question marks, so they get ranked way behind such question mark-free teams as the Twins, Indians and Cubs.
:whatever:

nasox
04-01-2005, 01:22 PM
:whocares

We're beating the same dead horse.

ranger_bob
04-01-2005, 01:27 PM
What is good to note about any power ranking is that it is difficult for any one person to follow every team in detail. They become an overgeneralization. One thing I often do when looking at power rankings is to see how each team in the division stacks up.

So, looking at the AL Central:

#5 Twins
# 9 Indians
#17 White Sox
#18 Tigers
#30 Royals

While, most of us think the Sox will finish higher than third, I think the consensus of the national media is that is where they will finish. #17 is in the range (13-18 if evenly distributed) for a third place team. Do I think there are 16 teams better than the Sox in MLB? No. But I can also see how the ranking would be there if the person doing the rankings has the Sox pegged as third in the Central.

Now, to place the Cubs in this discussion, we need to look at the NL Central.

#3 Cardinals
#8 Cubs
#12 Astros
#16 Reds
#24 Pirates
#25 Brewers

Since this prognosticator likely has the Cubs pegged as the second best team in the Central it's not surprising that the Cubs fall in eight given what the range for a second place team is (8-12). Do I think there are only 7 teams better than the Cubs? Probably not, but when making power rankings, it is likely someone orders the divisions and then compiles the power rankings from those standings. There will be some variances in the ranges (Yankees and Red Sox finishing 1 and 2 respectively), but my guess is this is how it has been derived.