PDA

View Full Version : Ordonez aiming to play in opener

Ol' No. 2
03-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Can you get diverticulitis in your knee?

Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050331&content_id=982065&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

DaveIsHere
03-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Maybe it is just an excuse, who know, I have a feeling he will be riddled with "ailments" all season, and none will be in his knee, trying to pull a fast one?

ma_deuce
03-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Diverticulitis results from an inflammation of the walls of colon when it becomes infected or inflamed.

Wow, this guy is even a pain in his own butt. :D:

balke
03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Hopefully he'll get a good start to his 25 game limit. That's still in his contract right?

hose
03-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Charlie Manuel had to have an operation right before the season started when he was managing the Tribe. I think he was on a colostomy bag for the rest of the season and then got his colon re-attached in the off season.

Rolf Beneriska the place kicker for the San Diego Chargers has had the same operation. I'm not sure if he was re-attached or not.

Crones disease is another problem similar to diverticulitis. My buddy's wife has Crones and they had to cut out the bad section of her colon and now she is on a colostomy bag for the rest of her life.

Magg's condition could become very serious and lead to infection and rupture. He has to be in some major pain.

hose
03-31-2005, 04:59 PM
Picture your colon as a garden hose. When the tube is smooth the water runs through with no problems.

Now picture the wall of the garden hose having to much pressure causing the walls to expand and forming what looks like bubbles on the outside. Looking in the inside of the hose you would see pockets.

Diverticulous are pockets in your colon. They are from the walls of your colon breaking down .

Diverticulitis is when these pockets are inflammed.

Nuts, fennel seeds or popcorn are a couple of types of foods that can get lodged in these pockets and become infected.

any ....losous is bad
....itis is worse

DaveIsHere
03-31-2005, 05:01 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

so is there a clause in his contract that if he misses 25 games due to a swollen Colon his contract is still valid????:D:

Ol' No. 2
03-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Picture your colon as a garden hose. When the tube is smooth the water runs through with no problems.

Now picture the wall of the garden hose having to much pressure causing the walls to expand and forming what looks like bubbles on the outside. Looking in the inside of the hose you would see pockets.

Diverticulous are pockets in your colon. They are from the walls of your colon breaking down .

Nuts, fennel seeds or popcorn are a couple of types of foods that can get lodged in these pockets and become infected.

any ....losous is bad
....itis is worseGreat. Now I'm not going to be able to eat nuts, fennel seeds or popcorn without wondering if the pockets in my garden hose are going to ...losous, or even worse, ...itis all over the place.:(:

Edit: Do me a favor. If churros are bad for me, just keep it to yourself, OK?:tongue:

bafiarocks03
03-31-2005, 05:10 PM
:(: poor magglio! Well guess that means he won't be playing tomorrow, cuz the tigers are on tv! :(:

hose
03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Great. Now I'm not going to be able to eat nuts, fennel seeds or popcorn without wondering if the pockets in my garden hose are going to ...losous, or even worse, ...itis all over the place.:(:

Edit: Do me a favor. If churros are bad for me, just keep it to yourself, OK?:tongue:

Churros are all good, no problem there.:)

gosox41
03-31-2005, 05:33 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

so is there a clause in his contract that if he misses 25 games due to a swollen Colon his contract is still valid????:D:

What if it's a swollen Bartolo Colon? It means you're an overweight player with a huge butt and not anything perverse.:D:

Bob

mealfred13
03-31-2005, 05:47 PM
What if it's a swollen Bartolo Colon? It means you're an overweight player with a huge butt and not anything perverse.:D:

Bob

LMAO...Beat me to it. I hope this Swollen Colon can throw a few good innings this year for my fantasy team...

tlebar318
04-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Maybe this is all just a cover for a bad knee? :?:

Flight #24
04-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Maybe it is just an excuse, who know, I have a feeling he will be riddled with "ailments" all season, and none will be in his knee, trying to pull a fast one?

Any truth to the rumors that the best treatment center in the world for diverticulitis happens to be in Austria???

:maggs "uhhh...that bandage on my knee is because that's where they had to go in to get to my colon"

Jerko
04-01-2005, 09:42 AM
I just saw this morning that he is questionable for the opener with "stomach flu" now. He'll miss way more than 25 games, but will they be "knee related" misses? He got a pretty good deal going there.

SOXSINCE'70
04-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Be it Diverticulitis or a "stomach flu",Kenny Williams looks
like a genius for letting this doofus get away.:yup: :yup:

Good riddance,Gagglio!!:angry:

TomC727
04-02-2005, 12:46 AM

any ....losous is bad
....itis is worse

Your explanation is not entirely correct. Pressure is not the cause of Diverticulitis. Diverticulum are little outpouchings that can be anywhere along the intestines (large or small), the most common spot is 2ft from the ilieocecal junction (where the large and small intestine connect. 2ft may seem like a whole lot but the small instestine stretched out is extremely long. Diverticulum are from structures that are left over from development in utero (as a fetus). They are structures that are normally absorbed before birth but sometimes the structures stay, causing diverticulum, which if present, MAY become inflamed with what you said. Sorry for the long explanation but deverticulitis is a common GI disfunction and there is a lot of misinformation on them.

hose
04-02-2005, 05:17 AM
Your explanation is not entirely correct. Pressure is not the cause of Diverticulitis. Diverticulum are little outpouchings that can be anywhere along the intestines (large or small), the most common spot is 2ft from the ilieocecal junction (where the large and small intestine connect. 2ft may seem like a whole lot but the small instestine stretched out is extremely long. Diverticulum are from structures that are left over from development in utero (as a fetus). They are structures that are normally absorbed before birth but sometimes the structures stay, causing diverticulum, which if present, MAY become inflamed with what you said. Sorry for the long explanation but deverticulitis is a common GI disfunction and there is a lot of misinformation on them.

outpouchings .....that will really simplify things .

voodoochile
04-02-2005, 06:29 AM

It sounds like a timebomb - if you've got it, then it can show up at anytime in your life. Is 30 a normal age to have it appear for the first time? Is it recurrent?

hose
04-02-2005, 08:08 AM
It sounds like a timebomb - if you've got it, then it can show up at anytime in your life. Is 30 a normal age to have it appear for the first time? Is it recurrent?

You can have it and not even know it, sometimes a doctor will say that you have a "nervous" stomach. The severity is what makes the difference obviously, and yes it can be reoccurring.

A rupture of the colon is the extreme with peritonitis in the abdominal cavity to follow.

If a person does end up having to have a operation for diverticulitis, the bad section section is removed and hopefully most of the diverticulli causing the problems are gone. After the operation a strict diet is usually followed to avoid any future flare ups.

this link pretty much explains the situation and has good graphics .

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diverticulosis/

hose
04-02-2005, 08:14 AM

You are saying it is from birth, fine. Then the whole world is born this way.

I tend to believe our diet is the main culprit leading to problems. If everybody is born with the "outpouchings" only the Western world , especially the USA is having major problems in comparison.

......Constipation makes the muscles strain to move stool that is too hard. It is the main cause of increased pressure in the colon. This excess pressure might cause the weak spots in the colon to bulge out and become diverticula.

DumpJerry
04-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Ok, I'm nominating Willie Harris for team MVP. Seriously.

BTW, say what you want about Borasssss...the man is a genius (and a jerk).

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Your explanation is not entirely correct. Pressure is not the cause of Diverticulitis. Diverticulum are little outpouchings that can be anywhere along the intestines (large or small), the most common spot is 2ft from the ilieocecal junction (where the large and small intestine connect. 2ft may seem like a whole lot but the small instestine stretched out is extremely long. Diverticulum are from structures that are left over from development in utero (as a fetus). They are structures that are normally absorbed before birth but sometimes the structures stay, causing diverticulum, which if present, MAY become inflamed with what you said. Sorry for the long explanation but deverticulitis is a common GI disfunction and there is a lot of misinformation on them.Can it be caused by shock wave therapy to the knee?

Lip Man 1
04-02-2005, 09:04 PM
According to many doctors, G.I. incidents and issues are now thought to be heredity. The old 'nervous' excuse doesn't wash anymore. Apparently new research indicates that this is passed down in the genes, that diet is not the cause, nor is simply being high strung or because of 'stress.' (Although stress does complicate the symptoms and hampers a cure.)

Seeing a psychiatrist, or thinking that's 'just the way I am' won't solve the problem because according to doctors it's 'not in your head.'

Many doctors do recommend regular exercize, and trying relaxation techniques to keep things in check but the above poster is correct... these can occur at any time.

Certain medicines (some sulfa based) do help shrink the internal tissue back to normal and stop the swelling, inflamation and production of mucus. Many G.I. problems result in pain, fever, increased uses of the toilet and a loss of appetite. Some incidents result in a constant feeling that your insides are burning.

In more serious cases infection can set in. This is nothing to laugh at or be ashamed of. It happens to more people then you think.

Lip

hose
04-02-2005, 10:53 PM
According to many doctors, G.I. incidents and issues are now thought to be heredity. The old 'nervous' excuse doesn't wash anymore. Apparently new research indicates that this is passed down in the genes, that diet is not the cause, nor is simply being high strung or because of 'stress.' (Although stress does complicate the symptoms and hampers a cure.)

Seeing a psychiatrist, or thinking that's 'just the way I am' won't solve the problem because according to doctors it's 'not in your head.'

Many doctors do recommend regular exercize, and trying relaxation techniques to keep things in check but the above poster is correct... these can occur at any time.

Certain medicines (some sulfa based) do help shrink the internal tissue back to normal and stop the swelling, inflamation and production of mucus. Many G.I. problems result in pain, fever, increased uses of the toilet and a loss of appetite. Some incidents result in a constant feeling that your insides are burning.

In more serious cases infection can set in. This is nothing to laugh at or be ashamed of. It happens to more people then you think.

Lip

Lip there is no proof that it is hereditary. Many doctors think......isn't conclusive.

The term nervous stomach is a very vague term and was usually used when the doctor couldn't actually find a real cause of a patients occasional pain.

A colonoscopy is a pretty good method for detecting problems with the colon. Most people don't have it done and live with the pain.

The lack of fresh fruits and vegtables and to much processed fast food could be a factor. Sounds like a typical western diet.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Can it be caused by shock wave therapy to the knee?
:roflmao:

:borass:
"Of course not! But it IS common for people afflicted with divertucku...dimertickle...with colon pockets to walk with a limp and require the use of crutches."

Lip Man 1
04-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Hose:

If you are asking me to quote medical journals, studies and such to verify my comment about it being hereditary, you are out of luck. I am only relating to you what I have read and heard from people in the industry.

Take it or leave it.

Lip

TomC727
04-03-2005, 03:35 PM
You are saying it is from birth, fine. Then the whole world is born this way.

I tend to believe our diet is the main culprit leading to problems. If everybody is born with the "outpouchings" only the Western world , especially the USA is having major problems in comparison.

......Constipation makes the muscles strain to move stool that is too hard. It is the main cause of increased pressure in the colon. This excess pressure might cause the weak spots in the colon to bulge out and become diverticula.

No No. You must have missed something. Everyone is not born with it. SOME people are. To be exact, 2% of the population have them. To get technical, they follow the 2x2x2 rule. 2ft. from the iliocecal junction 2in long 2% of the population. So now you know, some of it is heredity, some of it is not. Some people may live with them their whole life and not know about it and some people will have so many problems that they have to have surgery.
I am done with the technical talk.

Baby Fisk
04-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Magglio Ordoņez has started Opening Day in RF for Detroit.

MeanFish
04-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Magglio Ordoņez has started Opening Day in RF for Detroit.

Magglio Ordonez has struck out in his first AB with Detroit.