PDA

View Full Version : Layne Berry, son of 'The Bandit'

wilburaga
03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Apparently, Layne Berry drove in a run and stole a base for the Silver and Black in their Cactus finale today. Layne is the son of Ken 'The Bandit' Berry, IMHO, the best defensive Sox outfielder I ever saw.

W

DSpivack
03-31-2005, 03:43 PM
Apparently, Layne Berry drove in a run and stole a base for the Silver and Black in their Cactus finale today. Layne is the son of Ken 'The Bandit' Berry, IMHO, the best defensive Sox outfielder I ever saw.
W

For no real reason at all this reminds of Ray Liotta. How funny would it be if he made the big league club some day?

wilburaga
03-31-2005, 04:02 PM
For no real reason at all this reminds of Ray Liotta. How funny would it be if he made the big league club some day?

Funny you should mention Liotta since both Ray and Layne 'Boomer' Berry won some sort of team MVP awards for the Great Falls Rookie League team last year.

Linky:

http://www.greatfallswhitesox.com/04games/0902.html

W

p.s. Actually, the Sox signing of Layne Berry was serendipitous. They thought they were signing Lane Barry from the basketball family, but a paperwork foulup netted them The Bandit's son.

Unregistered
03-31-2005, 04:03 PM
He was actually the Player of the Game today, going 3-3 with 2 runs, 1 rbi and a SB.

hosieryofthegods
03-31-2005, 05:18 PM
He looked real good.

mealfred13
03-31-2005, 05:20 PM
He was actually the Player of the Game today, going 3-3 with 2 runs, 1 rbi and a SB.

Correction, 2 SB. Including his second stolen base which put him on 2nd base making him the go-ahead run on a single by Gload.

After he came home, he seemed to be having a good laugh with Ozzie, who couldn't wipe the smile from his face.

TDog
04-01-2005, 12:13 AM
...Ken 'The Bandit' Berry, IMHO, the best defensive Sox outfielder I ever saw....

In 1970, when I was 13, I thought Ken Berry was a great defensive centerfielder. Truth is, he was pretty good. He was sure-handed, but he played too deep. By the time he got to the Brewers in 1974, he was DHing.

I really liked him when I was a kid, though.

owensmouth
04-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Ken Berry and Tommie Agee in the same outfield gave the Sox a marvelous defense in left and center. Ken wasn't much of a hitter, but oh could he play defense.

ChiSoxBobette
04-01-2005, 06:09 AM
In 1970, when I was 13, I thought Ken Berry was a great defensive centerfielder. Truth is, he was pretty good. He was sure-handed, but he played too deep. By the time he got to the Brewers in 1974, he was DHing.

I really liked him when I was a kid, though.

Ken Berry was twice the centerfielder that espn's darling - tori hunter is. Ken's only drawback was he could'nt hit at least .275/.280 if he could have done that sportswriters would still be talking about him today because of the way he could play defense.

jackbrohamer
04-01-2005, 09:11 AM

He made some circus catches that were incredibly entertaining and were re-played a lot on TV at the time, which may have helped his reputation.

TomParrish79
04-01-2005, 09:29 AM
For some reason I thought this was gonna be a thread about Burt Reynolds.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Berry had the ability to time his leaps perfectly and take away home runs from dead center field at the original Comiskey Park.

In those days all they had was a chain link fence with some padding that stretched across from left center to right center, cutting the distance from 440 feet to the wall at the base of the scoreboard to 400. Here is a picture from the Sox audio/interactive theme, 'Sox of the 70's' that can be found here at WSI:

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/2004/70s01.jpg

One time on a catch like that Berry fell completely over the fence but hung on to the baseball and got the out.

Kenny also had a good arm. Example, this audio cut from August 1967. It can be found as part of the audio interactive theme piece 'the Sox of the 60's' here at WSI:

"We start with game #1 of a double header in Detroit. Ken Berry temporarily saved the day throwing out Denny McLain at home in the last of the 10th inning preserving a one all tie. J. C. Martin was behind the plate. McLain, the former Sox "bonus baby" was trying to score on a single by Al Kaline. Unfortunately one batter later with Wilhelm pitching, Martin allowed a passed ball which allowed Dick McAuliff to score the winning run. Itís "Red" Rush and Bob Elson calling the play and notice how much Rush sounded like former Sox radio man Milo Hamilton! Courtesy: WMAQ Radio.
Let Me Hear It! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/RealAudio/60s06.rm) "

Kenny was a worthy sucessor to guys like Jim Landis and Mike Hershberger in center field and a fine precursor to Chet Lemon, Rudy Law and Lance Johnson.

He's retired now living in Topeka, Kansas.

Lip

jackbrohamer
04-01-2005, 09:56 AM

Lip

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Haven't seen that in probably over 30 years. :bandance: :cheers:

Lip Man 1
04-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Jack:

You need to start reading the WSI Interviews and visit the WSI Audio memories!!! The links are directly under the 'baseball card of the week' feature on the main page (left side.)

:smile:

Lip

DaleJRFan
04-01-2005, 11:35 AM
He looked real good.

It's "He looked really good" ... Where's your skillz at, yo'?? you are the son of a professor, get it straight, G.

DannyCaterFan
04-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Only one player better in those days than Ken, that of course was Danny Cater.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Cater could hit better and had more power but Berry was the better fielder and base runner by far.

Lip

Wsoxmike59
04-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Berry had the ability to time his leaps perfectly and take away home runs from dead center field at the original Comiskey Park.

One time on a catch like that Berry fell completely over the fence but hung on to the baseball and got the out.

He's retired now living in Topeka, Kansas.

Lip

If you look closely in the movie "Eight men out" Ken Berry makes a cameo playing the leather lunged fan giving Shoeless Joe a hard time calling him "Professor" and asking him if he can spell the word CAT in an obvious assault on Joe Jackson's intelligence.

MikeW
04-01-2005, 10:09 PM
It's great to see that Ken has a son playing in the Sox organization. #16 was my favorite growing up in New Jersey. I'll never forget a catch he made against the Yankees at Comiskey in 1969. Joe Pepitone hit a ball that Phil Rizutto believed was a home run, until Berry leaped over the centerfield canvas and made the catch. One of the greatest catches I had ever seen.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Mike:

Are you being serious about Berry and 'Eight Men Out?'

Lip

owensmouth
04-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Lip:

Was it Berry or Landis that landed headfirst into the support while trying to make a catch in center field in Comiskey?

wilburaga
04-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Mike:

Lip

That claim checks out on imdb.com

Of course, our Ken Berry's thespian efforts should not be confused with those of the other Ken Berry, the one that brought frontier hero Wilton Parmenter into our living rooms.

W

Wsoxmike59
04-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Mike:

Lip

Yes Mark I am. That is Ken Berry heckling Shoeless Joe from the stands in the movie "Eight Men Out"

I believe Berry was also working as a consultant on the film, teaching the actors techniques on tracking and catching fly balls making the scenes as authentic as possible.

Wsoxmike59
04-02-2005, 01:57 PM
That claim checks out on imdb.com

Of course, our Ken Berry's thespian efforts should not be confused with those of the other Ken Berry, the one that brought frontier hero Wilton Parmenter into our living rooms.

W

LOL Wilbur, that comment had me rolling on the floor laughing. For all you younger posters who had that comment fly over their heads......observe, watch and learn.

http://www.kenberry.com/

http://www.timvp.com/ftroop.html