PDA

View Full Version : Golden opportunity for White Sox to make dent on North Side

Fenway
03-31-2005, 03:34 PM
I hope somebody on 35th St reads this because for a small amount of money, the White Sox can generate so much goodwill on the North Side.

Chances like this don't happen often. The White Sox can really make a statement here.

Thillens Stadium runs out of money (http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-fin-thillens31.html)
Thillens Stadium, a shrine to neighborhood baseball for 66 years, is closing because the foundation that supports it has run out of money.

OG4LIFE
03-31-2005, 03:39 PM
I hope somebody on 35th St reads this because for a small amount of money, the White Sox can generate so much goodwill on the North Side.

Chances like this don't happen often. The White Sox can really make a statement here.

Thillens Stadium runs out of money (http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-fin-thillens31.html)
Thillens Stadium, a shrine to neighborhood baseball for 66 years, is closing because the foundation that supports it has run out of money.

wow. who didnt have their little league championship games there? (i guess if you lived on the s.s. it would be a drive...). that really, really sucks. cmon jerry, lets build a fanbase here!

Flight #24
03-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Someone with Brooks email quick: send him that link. I'd think that having your name on the stadium that tons of LLers dream to play at would be worth the $200k/yr investment.

It fits very well with their apparent strategy to target families, develop the young Sox fan consumer base, and appeal to hardcore baseball fans.

DaveIsHere
03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
That would be a great idea, if I had the money I would do it myself. N othing like the old fileds you would play on as a kid. While I played in the burbs, whenever I pass a field i play in you always get those memorable flashbacks

Ol' No. 2
03-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Someone with Brooks email quick: send him that link.I'll do it. This is an outstanding idea.

jabrch
03-31-2005, 04:07 PM
I wish I could do it myself too....JABRCH Field at Thillens Stadium has a nice ring to it!

The Sox, even in partnership with US Cellular could come up with a fantastic support package that would be worth 100X what each would have to contribute.

DSpivack
03-31-2005, 04:19 PM
just blocks from my house.... what an excellent opportunity... get on it, Brooks!

Rocky Soprano
03-31-2005, 04:27 PM
I'll do it. This is an outstanding idea.

Let us know if he responds.

zach074
03-31-2005, 04:30 PM
The White Sox are always doing good things in the community and this seams like a perfect thing for them to contribute to.

mikesouthside
03-31-2005, 04:34 PM
This would be a class act!!!

Foulke You
03-31-2005, 04:57 PM
I played at Thillens as a young lad in the 80s. My little league had their "all-star" game there. I remember how cool I thought that stadium was. The electronic scoreboard and real bleachers. To a little leaguer, it felt like playing at a major league park. I also remember how excited I was when I got to play 2B in that game. They also used to have this contest where if you hit a home run that hit the scoreboard you won $1000.

It would be a damn shame to see that ballpark close. Hopefully, the White Sox will save it. Honestly though, I'd be happy if anyone saved that park...even the Cubs.

Ol' No. 2
03-31-2005, 05:20 PM
Brooks' response:

Thanks for the note. I am very familiar with the situation and it is an extremely complicated situation.

Brooks

Flight #24
05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
This just reported on ESPN1000 - Cubs donate 500k to the Chicago Park District as part of a district plan to keep Thillens open.

DOH!

Brian26
05-11-2005, 01:05 PM
This just reported on ESPN1000 - Cubs donate 500k to the Chicago Park District as part of a district plan to keep Thillens open.

DOH!

Glad to see the Tribune Company is keeping tabs on WSI.

Fenway
05-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Sigh

Well the main thing is it stays open

shoota
05-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Glad to see the Tribune Company is keeping tabs on WSI.

I've been flipping to WGN on Sox commercials to watch the Cubs, and in the 3rd inning the Cubs had some guy in the booth who was thanking the Cubs organization for the donation.

Brian, I had the same first reaction as you. Someone from the Trib read fenway's thread and decided to buy some off-the-field press since their team sucks on the field.

FARMEO
05-11-2005, 05:40 PM
The Sox had a campaign "So the Kids Can Play" where they donated $ to the Park District for softball and baseball fields. I played on the Fields in Grant Park that had a Sox donation sign on the backstop. This is the closest I will ever get to playing on a field with the Sox emblem.

NSSoxFan
05-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Sigh

Well the main thing is it stays open

Meanwhile, does this get any press?

Utica and Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050511&content_id=1046313&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

voodoochile
05-12-2005, 12:07 AM
The Sox have long been involved in community baseball fields. I believe they had a program in the early-mid 90's where they effectively rebuilt hundreds of park district ballparks around the city with matching funds they donated.

This is as I recall. Perhaps someone else has more information.

Rocklive99
05-12-2005, 01:11 AM
They had a big ceremony in walking distance from my house last year. They built a nice field with special turf for the handicapped, and had a nice ceremony with former players. Ozzie and some currents were supposed to be there but they had a rain out the night before and had to get to the Cell early for a double header. It's cool to pass by and see the big sign with the White Sox logo and name on it

firejauron
05-12-2005, 01:39 AM

DOH!

man alive, they need to dump 500K into the Urinal and clean that dump up before they start taking care of parks around the city...

Viva Medias B's
05-12-2005, 08:19 AM
man alive, they need to dump 500K into the Urinal and clean that dump up before they start taking care of parks around the city...

500K might not do the job there.

Jaffar
05-12-2005, 11:04 AM
I don't recall seeing much on the White Sox mircale league work. There is a ball field near my parents house on the Marklund site and it was paid for by the Sox. I do believe they have several parks around IL.

QueerGirrl
05-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't recall seeing much on the White Sox mircale league work. There is a ball field near my parents house on the Marklund site and it was paid for by the Sox. I do believe they have several parks around IL.

Actually, I saw a Real Sports episode last summer that talked about handicap accessible baseball fields and how the Sox were sponsoring several here in Chicago. I remember a thread about it here.

Fenway
05-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Brooks said he was aware of it so

from WLS-TV

North Side little league park saved by Cubs, park district (http://ww2.abc7chicago.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?clipid1=419838&at1=News&vt1=v&h1=North+Side+little+league+park+saved+by+Cubs%2C+ park+district&d1=139000&redirUrl=www.abc7chicago.com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage)

For the little league boys and girls of summer, it looked like this was going to be a season without the famous Thillens Stadium on Chicago's North Side. Since 1938, Thillens was the little league park with the major league feel. Two months ago came the announcement that the park would close.

Kilroy
05-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Meanwhile, does this get any press?

Utica and Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050511&content_id=1046313&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Or this???

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, May 13, 2005
MEDIA ADVISORY:

MAYOR DALEY TO CELEBRATE OPENING OF WHITE SOX FIELDS AT MT. GREENWOOD PARK

WHAT: The Chicago White Sox, the City of Chicago and the Chicago Park District will celebrate the grand opening of the White Sox Fields at Mt. Greenwood Park.

WHO: Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley; Chicago Park District General Superintendent Tim Mitchell; White Sox executives, including chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and advisor Roland Hemond; Field honorees Billy Pierce, Harold Baines and the family of Jack Gould; 19th Ward Alderman Virginia Rugai; Miracle League national executive director Diane Alford; and White Sox head groundskeeper Roger Bossard.

WHEN: Monday, May 16, 2005 11:00 a.m.

WHERE: White Sox Fields at Mt. Greenwood Park Behind the Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences. 3857 W. 111th Street, Chicago (near 111th and Pulaski)

WHY: Chicago White Sox Charities committed $1 million to build the fields, which include a Miracle Field for children with special needs and fields for softball, little league baseball and high school baseball.

irish rover
05-13-2005, 12:20 PM
was watching the cubune show on comcast lastnight and they talked about Thillens(McDonough was on) Jiggs gave props to the sox