PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC predictions - Sox NOT under the radar.

daveeym
03-31-2005, 01:30 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6841776/ Predicting a central division championship.

NonetheLoaiza
03-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow. Probably the most solid interpretation of the White Sox offseason moves. MSNBC, huh? Looks like they can make a run at ESPN...

DaleJRFan
03-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Isn't Everett 33, not 31?

DaleJRFan
03-31-2005, 01:42 PM
read the MVP prediction story... they make several mention of Sox players for ROY honors: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7277579/page/2/

chisoxmike
03-31-2005, 01:44 PM
:threadrules:

chisoxmike
03-31-2005, 01:45 PM
Dale- I love the sig! :cool:

DaleJRFan
03-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks chisoxmike!

What bothers me is that they automatically give RJ the Cy Young. No mention of any pitchers outside of Schilling, RJ and Santana. There are lots of Cy Young quality pitchers in the AL, one of them is on the White Sox.

Flight #24
03-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Remember, they played the second half of last season without Ordonez and Thomas, and still won 83 games. And this is a better, deeper team possibly good enough to get GM Kenny Williams an executive of the year award if all goes well.

I'm continually stunned by how the vast majority of publications fail to recognize this simple fact. Rolling the right field trio of Gload, Borchard, & Perez out there for half the season, the keystone kops duo of Davis & Burke at C, and the cast of "Dude, where's my strike zone?" in the 5th starter spot, not to mention "Action" Jackson in the 'pen, the team put up 83 wins. Replace those guys with solid to above average major leaguers, get even 3 solid months out of Frank compared to 2 last year and you somehow drop to the 78 win mark?:?:

DaleJRFan
03-31-2005, 01:51 PM
"Dude, where's my strike zone?"

MUHAHAHAHA :roflmao:

Iwritecode
03-31-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm continually stunned by how the vast majority of publications fail to recognize this simple fact. Rolling the right field trio of Gload, Borchard, & Perez out there for half the season, the keystone kops duo of Davis & Burke at C, and the cast of "Dude, where's my strike zone?" in the 5th starter spot, not to mention "Action" Jackson in the 'pen, the team put up 83 wins. Replace those guys with solid to above average major leaguers, get even 3 solid months out of Frank compared to 2 last year and you somehow drop to the 78 win mark?:?:

That's POTW material right there... :D:

In response to your post, that would take actual research. Something most of the people who write these predictions seem to be incapable of. The Twins are the defending champs and the Tigers and Indians are the "trendy" picks for the year. That must put the Sox somewhere around 4th place right?

Foulke You
03-31-2005, 02:35 PM
"Closer: RHP Shinjo Takatsu;"

Funny, I thought his name was Shingo.:?:

Corlose 15
03-31-2005, 02:39 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Fredsox
03-31-2005, 02:47 PM
I don't want to play "Captain Bring-down", I'm as happy as anyone that some national media at least acknowledges the possibility of the Sox winning the division. It's nice to see. The truth is, however, that is means no more than the negative predictions. It's put-up or shut-up time starting Monday.

We play a tough first month and we can make a real statement by slapping around the Twins and the Indians. Then I'll allow myself a little arrogance.

FightingBillini
03-31-2005, 03:01 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6841776/ Predicting a central division championship.

OH NO! Must... be... under... radar...
Quick, someobody tell them we lost all of our power

DSpivack
03-31-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't want to play "Captain Bring-down", I'm as happy as anyone that some national media at least acknowledges the possibility of the Sox winning the division. It's nice to see. The truth is, however, that is means no more than the negative predictions. It's put-up or shut-up time starting Monday.

We play a tough first month and we can make a real statement by slapping around the Twins and the Indians. Then I'll allow myself a little arrogance.

True, but many publications don't have even the Pale Hose finishing in 2nd. As sure as the Twins seem on winning the division the last four years, the Sox seems as sure to finish second. Let's hope that trend ends this year. Right now I'd predict the Twins, for simple reason that they are the defending division winners and I see no reason for that not to continue. It'll be another great year, two-team race in the AL Central.

Jjav829
03-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Isn't this the part where we rip on the unknown guy who wrote the article because of his opinion? (ie Who the hell is Tony DeMarco and why should we believe what he wrote?)

This means nothing, just like every other article that so many gripe over.

Shorty1983
03-31-2005, 04:14 PM
For god sakes they picked the flubs to win their division so that alone tells you this person is a action hero suck up. Who cares about predictions, lets just go out there and win it all.

MRKARNO
03-31-2005, 05:16 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. Many fail to realize how some of the holes on this team have been filled and their filling will likely improve the overall win total, despite the loss of Lee and Ordonez. I'm less offended by the comments that the White Sox will finish 2nd or third, however, than those which state that we'll finish below the Tigers. I see the White Sox as an 85 win team that has the ability to get beyond that number if the starting pitching really puts it together. The Indians just might have enough to surpass that total (doubtful) and the Twins are probably looking at an 87-88 win team for themselves at this point, but we'll see.