PDA

View Full Version : Sox Army, Go National!

Spicoli
03-31-2005, 11:56 AM
Today, ESPN has a poll asking which AL team has the best chance to make the playoffs. The White Sox are one of the options and are currently in last place. Go vote!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index

Ol' No. 2
03-31-2005, 12:05 PM
Today, ESPN has a poll asking which AL team has the best chance to make the playoffs. The White Sox are one of the options and are currently in last place. Go vote!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/indexThe Indians are leading? :thud:

mccombe_35
03-31-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm in. lets vote! as of 11:15 March 31st:

A's 20.9%

Indians 34.9%

Rangers 25.9%

Sox 18.2%

Realist
03-31-2005, 12:17 PM
The Indians are leading? :thud:

Meh, Indians fans in Cleveland have been awake an hour earlier than us. Don't worry, we'll bury 'em. :wink:

mccombe_35
03-31-2005, 12:25 PM
"A good drinking buddy will bail you out of jail, but a great drinking buddy will be sitting in the cell beside you, saying, “Man, that was awesome!”

--------
I love it!

but which Cell?:?: :wink:

NonetheLoaiza
03-31-2005, 12:54 PM
The Indians are leading? :thud:

My thoughts exactly when I first saw the poll results thus far. I mean, the Indians are going to be a pretty good team and have a good chance of doing well this year. However, I don't see them in the playoffs. And...going off on a tangent..Even though us Sox fans sort of get used to getting left behind in the media, you have to wonder if Media Guides distributed throughout the country have forgot to put the White Sox in. All the better when we win the division and cruise to the World Series...At least us Sox fans will know we had the team all along.

iftypofixit
03-31-2005, 12:58 PM
How are the A's in front of the sox...sad

WhiteSoxFan84
03-31-2005, 01:33 PM
ESPN is full of :dtroll: who listen to whatever the Baseball Tonight crew tells them. That maybe a tough task. Here's a much easier task that we can win on a national floor....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-03-30-al-central-preview2_x.htm

Spicoli
03-31-2005, 01:56 PM
We have actually dropped to 17% now...wow, the ESPN propaganda machine really is effective...

Spicoli
03-31-2005, 01:59 PM
ESPN is full of :dtroll: who listen to whatever the Baseball Tonight crew tells them. That maybe a tough task. Here's a much easier task that we can win on a national floor....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-03-30-al-central-preview2_x.htm

We are getting slaughtered in this poll, too. Currently we are in a distant 4th place with 10% of the vote: Detroit 32%; Twins 31%; Indians 21%; SOX 10%; and KC 4%.

Ol' No. 2
03-31-2005, 02:03 PM
We are getting slaughtered in this poll, too. Currently we are in a distant 4th place with 10% of the vote: Detroit 32%; Twins 31%; Indians 21%; SOX 10%; and KC 4%.All you're seeing is people regurgitating what they've read. If they awarded championships based on pre-season ESPN polls I'd probably give a rat's ass. But they don't and I don't.

SoxxoS
03-31-2005, 02:06 PM
I don't know about you guys...but I like the Indians too. That whole "bullpen" thing is massively overrated. Plus, THEY HAVE JUAN GONE!

A lot of morons on ESPN. Lots.

Jurr
03-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey...we're winning on USA Today! Sox fans kick ass. Good work, guys.

winning ugly 72
03-31-2005, 08:48 PM
just voted right we are still in fourth with 17.7%. i don't get why everyone loves the indians? is b/c espn says they will be good?

Jurr
04-01-2005, 09:42 AM
No...it's because the team hit well last year, and because they hit well in '04, they should be even better in '05. These people also thought that Joe Crede was going to get better and better after he set the world on fire a few years ago (in that half season he played in '02.)

Figure in the fact that the Indians got Kevin Millwood (who was getting rocked besides the fact he threw to the pitcher every day), and the Indians have a great staff! Why? Because Kevin Millwood is one of those "proven" guys that has been good in the past.

It's all pretty much hogwash. The Indians might very well be good and win the World Series. Nobody knows. But these prognosticators come off the cuff with some pretty bold expectations for a team that clicked for a while and then fell off the map (and not due to injury).

ranger_bob
04-01-2005, 09:45 AM
We have actually dropped to 17% now...wow, the ESPN propaganda machine really is effective...

Why is it always labeled propaganda? Maybe others actually thought for themselves and are voting the way they believe? (Just a thought)

Jurr
04-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Ranger Bob wastes no time in adding a touch of sanity to this message board. Good job, Bob!

Spicoli
04-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Why is it always labeled propaganda? Maybe others actually thought for themselves and are voting the way they believe? (Just a thought)

An interesting insight, if only we mean my thinking, "random ideas entering the mind." Other philosophers, on the other hand, have been prone to more nuanced conceptualizations of what constitutes "thinking."

ranger_bob
04-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Let me clarify. I think it weakens your argument and ideas in general when you claim anytime someone else chooses another team to be a victim of propaganda. It is conceivable that baseball fans with just as much knowledge as the posters here could look at the facts, evidences, etc and choose another team.

If the Sox were winning the poll, no one would be claiming propaganda here. What would we think if fans on other sites claimed that we were choosing the Sox because of propaganda or bias? Would that be insulting our baseball knowledge? I think it would.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. This site has a lot of knowledgeable Sox fans. It's why I chose to post here, but I think we would do ourselves a big favor to the integrity of our arguments if we didn't claim media bias or propaganda everytime someone disagreed with a positive assessment of the Sox.

Spicoli
04-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Let me clarify. I think it weakens your argument and ideas in general when you claim anytime someone else chooses another team to be a victim of propaganda. It is conceivable that baseball fans with just as much knowledge as the posters here could look at the facts, evidences, etc and choose another team.

If the Sox were winning the poll, no one would be claiming propaganda here. What would we think if fans on other sites claimed that we were choosing the Sox because of propaganda or bias? Would that be insulting our baseball knowledge? I think it would.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. This site has a lot of knowledgeable Sox fans. It's why I chose to post here, but I think we would do ourselves a big favor to the integrity of our arguments if we didn't claim media bias or propaganda everytime someone disagreed with a positive assessment of the Sox.

Fair enough. However, one thing that is well documented on WSI, as far as I can tell, is that there IS a media bias. You are right to say that given equal attention/coverage, if the poll resulted in the White Sox dead last, then perhaps that is where they belong. However, ESPN in particular, consistently overlooks the White Sox and/or when they do report on them, do so mistakenly. They have inconsistent internal logic (for example, claiming that pitching is what wins, then slamming the Sox for diminshing home run power in favor of pitching).

We are not claiming this EVERYTIME. But where it is fitting to do so, you ought not to make the fallacy, appealing to absurdity. In fact, this is a legitimate critique of some baseball news reporters/networks. If we did, for example, a statistical analysis about how much ink was given to the Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox vs. the White Sox, we would find a lopsided figure. Thus, it begs criticism as to the validity of polls taken of those dependent upon this particular source.

At any rate, I agree, yet disagree with you. If it was the only attack/defense employed by Sox fans, that would be erroneous and misleading. But it is not. It is one many of the posters here have spent a great deal of time documenting and discussing. When the shoe fits...

whitesox_1
04-01-2005, 03:23 PM
We are getting slaughtered in this poll, too. Currently we are in a distant 4th place with 10% of the vote: Detroit 32%; Twins 31%; Indians 21%; SOX 10%; and KC 4%.

I hate that people pick the tigers because they have mags and i-rod i think their just like the rangers a few years ago all hitting no pitching they wont go to far with that