PDA

View Full Version : Colorado acquires Byung-Hyun Kim, Fans in coors bleachers run for cover

Banix12
03-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Cnnsi article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2005/03/30/kim.trade.ap/index.html)

Kim was sent Wednesday to the Rockies for left-handed pitcher Chris Narveson, 23, who was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket, and catcher Charles Johnson, who was immediately designated for assignment and released.

The Red Sox will pick up almost all of Kim's $6 million salary, general manager Theo Epstein said.

SluggersAway
03-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Trouble in bean town? Boston's pitching ain't looking so hot. Wells had an ERA of 7.94 this ST and their top guy was Arroyo with a 3.86 (and bound to climb once the season starts).

FedEx227
03-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Why did they move Charles Johnson? I hope they plan on getting him back, hes still a solid player.

Banix12
03-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Why did they move Charles Johnson? I hope they plan on getting him back, hes still a solid player.

Colorado wanted to go with JD Closser at Catcher and didn't want to pay his salary. I wonder how this works if somebody picks up Johnson now, if colorado had released him they would have had to pay him anyway if some other team picked him up, as far as I understood. So are the Red Sox on the hook for him now? Somebody explain?

Infallible
03-30-2005, 11:15 PM
his stats weren't that bad, of course he had trouble closing the big ones. Let me guess though, its all his fault just like Pedro and just like Carl.........

NonetheLoaiza
03-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Should be an interesting year for the Red Sox with their pitching. Like alot of teams, their rotation goes into the season with alot of if's. It just seems like they are going to rely on their ifs alot more. With their offense, the starting rotation can stand to take a step back from last year, but I see the Red Sox starting off rather slow, like last season, and never getting the momentum they need to make another successful run. JMO

Irishsox1
03-31-2005, 02:22 PM
I remember when the Red Sox traded Shea Hillenbrand, that ESPN/Red Sox dope Peter Gammons said this was a brilliant trade by the Red Sox. Someone should ask that old fart what he thinks of Kim now?

Unregistered
03-31-2005, 02:26 PM
Theo Epstein actually publicly apologized today for signing him to a 2 year, $10 Million contract last year...

Foulke You
03-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised the Cubs weren't involved in trying to get Byun Yun Kim. The Red Sox paid for $5.5 million of his $6 million salary, and the Cubs are in desperate need of bullpen/closer depth. Kim would have come cheap and has been successful as a closer in the NL. Instead, they add the ultra mediocre Cliff Bartosh? Hmmm...I'm starting to think that Hendry might only be the genius everyone says he is when he is dealing with the Pirates.:cool:

Fenway
03-31-2005, 02:44 PM
I remember when the Red Sox traded Shea Hillenbrand, that ESPN/Red Sox dope Peter Gammons said this was a brilliant trade by the Red Sox. Someone should ask that old fart what he thinks of Kim now?

The only good that came from the trade was that Grady Little then was forced to put David Ortiz in the lineup everyday. That went well. :smile:

Fenway
03-31-2005, 02:45 PM
Colorado wanted to go with JD Closser at Catcher and didn't want to pay his salary. I wonder how this works if somebody picks up Johnson now, if colorado had released him they would have had to pay him anyway if some other team picked him up, as far as I understood. So are the Red Sox on the hook for him now? Somebody explain?

Kim on the road to Rockies (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/03/31/kim_on_the_road_to_rockies)
(By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff)
The Red Sox yesterday gave the Colorado Rockies the chance to solve the riddle that is Byung Hyun Kim, and took a major financial hit to do so.

The Red Sox, agreeing to pay all but roughly $315,000 (the major league minimum) of the $6 million owed in salary to Kim, traded the 26-year-old Korean reliever to the Rockies for a midlevel minor league prospect, lefthanded pitcher Chris Narveson, who was optioned to Triple A Pawtucket.

And in a bit of creative bookkeeping that resulted in a considerable tax savings for the Red Sox, Boston also received catcher Charles Johnson and his $9 million contract from the Rockies, then designated him for assignment and released him. The Rockies sent the Red Sox cash considerations to cover the difference in the salaries of Johnson and Kim, and because the cash in the deal flowed the Red Sox' way, they got the taxbreak. Johnson is poised to sign with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Flight #24
03-31-2005, 02:55 PM
Kim on the road to Rockies (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/03/31/kim_on_the_road_to_rockies)
(By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff)
The Red Sox yesterday gave the Colorado Rockies the chance to solve the riddle that is Byung Hyun Kim, and took a major financial hit to do so.

The Red Sox, agreeing to pay all but roughly $315,000 (the major league minimum) of the $6 million owed in salary to Kim, traded the 26-year-old Korean reliever to the Rockies for a midlevel minor league prospect, lefthanded pitcher Chris Narveson, who was optioned to Triple A Pawtucket.

And in a bit of creative bookkeeping that resulted in a considerable tax savings for the Red Sox, Boston also received catcher Charles Johnson and his $9 million contract from the Rockies, then designated him for assignment and released him. The Rockies sent the Red Sox cash considerations to cover the difference in the salaries of Johnson and Kim, and because the cash in the deal flowed the Red Sox' way, they got the taxbreak. Johnson is poised to sign with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Huh?

The Sox sent Kim+$6mil to Colorado, the Rockies sent prospect+CJ+"the difference in salaries", which appears to be $3mil to the Red Sox. But the Red Sox had to take on CJ's $9mil contract.

So by my math, that means Boston just traded Kim + $12mil (6 to CO, 9 to CJ minus 3 from CO) for a prospect. Am I wrong here? Or is this Narveson guy so good that he's worth the extra $6mil they paid versus just releasing Kim?

:?:

Fenway
03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Huh?

The Sox sent Kim+$6mil to Colorado, the Rockies sent prospect+CJ+"the difference in salaries", which appears to be $3mil to the Red Sox. But the Red Sox had to take on CJ's $9mil contract.

So by my math, that means Boston just traded Kim + $12mil (6 to CO, 9 to CJ minus 3 from CO) for a prospect. Am I wrong here? Or is this Narveson guy so good that he's worth the extra $6mil they paid versus just releasing Kim?

:?:

There has to be some magic accounting at work here

HomeFish
03-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Wait, Johnson is now a FA?

Kenny...how about you switch backup catchers just one more time.

Ol' No. 2
03-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Huh?

:?:http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Boofdee/ralphie.gif My head hurts!

Fenway
03-31-2005, 04:16 PM
Johnson on his way to Tampa Bay

The Boston Herald sheds a little more light

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=75814

The Red Sox and Colorado Rockies agreed to a complicated deal late yesterday that will send Kim to the National League club and land pitching prospect Chris Narveson in the Boston organization.

As part of the process, the Red Sox will briefly have control of former All-Star Charles Johnson before releasing the overpaid, veteran catcher so he can sign on with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays [stats (http://146.145.120.3/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=bostonherald&page=mlb/teams/056/teamstats.aspx?team=056), schedule (http://146.145.120.3/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=bostonherald&page=mlb/teams/056/schedule.aspx?team=056,season=2004)]. The Rockies will also send $2.6 million to Boston to help toward balancing out the 2005 salary difference between Johnson ($9 million) and Kim ($6 million).

The complex transaction will result in the Red Sox picking up $400,000 on Johnson's contract, but they will be responsible for only $84,000 after the catcher is picked up by the Devil Rays for the Major League Baseball minimum salary of $316,000.

When all is said and done, the Red Sox will see their competitive-balance tax figure reduced by approximately $1 million, resulting in a luxury tax savings believed to be in the $300,000-$400,000 range.

I will never understand why Theo resigned Kim because there was no way he would be able to pitch in Fenway after doing this to the fans durin g the intros before Game 3 of the 2003 ALDS

http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/2004/BK_10.4_04.jpg

SoxSpeed22
03-31-2005, 05:18 PM
And all this because he threw three meatballs against the Yankees in November.

StillMissOzzie
03-31-2005, 05:31 PM
Johnson on his way to Tampa Bay

The Boston Herald sheds a little more light

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=75814

The Red Sox and Colorado Rockies agreed to a complicated deal late yesterday that will send Kim to the National League club and land pitching prospect Chris Narveson in the Boston organization.

As part of the process, the Red Sox will briefly have control of former All-Star Charles Johnson before releasing the overpaid, veteran catcher so he can sign on with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays [stats (http://146.145.120.3/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=bostonherald&page=mlb/teams/056/teamstats.aspx?team=056), schedule (http://146.145.120.3/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=bostonherald&page=mlb/teams/056/schedule.aspx?team=056,season=2004)]. The Rockies will also send $2.6 million to Boston to help toward balancing out the 2005 salary difference between Johnson ($9 million) and Kim ($6 million).

The complex transaction will result in the Red Sox picking up $400,000 on Johnson's contract, but they will be responsible for only $84,000 after the catcher is picked up by the Devil Rays for the Major League Baseball minimum salary of $316,000.

When all is said and done, the Red Sox will see their competitive-balance tax figure reduced by approximately $1 million, resulting in a luxury tax savings believed to be in the $300,000-$400,000 range.

I will never understand why Theo resigned Kim because there was no way he would be able to pitch in Fenway after doing this to the fans durin g the intros before Game 3 of the 2003 ALDS

http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/2004/BK_10.4_04.jpg

Well, that certainly clears things up. If Boston is only picking up $84K, and the D-Rays are covering the MLB minimum of $316K, then who is paying Johnson the remaining $8.6M on his contract?
Seems to me that Boston is on the hook for ($9M - $316K) = $8.684M. What am I missing here?

SMO
:dunno:

MHOUSE
04-04-2005, 03:23 AM
Johnson said he's interested in the D-Rays who are the pick to sign him. The have Toby Hall and Kevin Cash at catcher. Kim's velocity was down to the mid-80s and he gave up 7 runs in 0.1 IP in his Rockies debut. This trade was based on salaries of guys neither team needed or wanted to pay. I bet Kim is out of baseball within 2 years.

Mohoney
04-04-2005, 03:50 AM
Well, that certainly clears things up. If Boston is only picking up $84K, and the D-Rays are covering the MLB minimum of $316K, then who is paying Johnson the remaining $8.6M on his contract?
Seems to me that Boston is on the hook for ($9M - $316K) = $8.684M. What am I missing here?

SMO
:dunno:

Once Johnson was released, he became a free agent. Isn't Johnson's old contract void if he signs a new one with the Devil Rays?

Since he's playing with the Devil Rays instead of sitting at home, doesn't he kiss the rest of the money goodbye?

Did the Red Sox pay any kind of a buy-out when they released him?

MisterB
04-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Once Johnson was released, he became a free agent. Isn't Johnson's old contract void if he signs a new one with the Devil Rays?

Since he's playing with the Devil Rays instead of sitting at home, doesn't he kiss the rest of the money goodbye?

Did the Red Sox pay any kind of a buy-out when they released him?

The only time (I know of) that a major league contract voids is if a veteran player refuses a minor league assignment and opts for free agency. If a player is released, they have to pass through waivers. If he's claimed the claiming team picks up his current contract; if he clears waivers (becoming a free agent) and signs with another team, his former team is on the hook for that contract while the new team only has to pay league minimum.