PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Diamond Mind projections

Fenway
03-30-2005, 07:43 PM
don't shoot the messenger :smile:

The author of Diamond Mind baseball has released his projections for 2005

His computer doesn't like the South Side

Chicago White Sox (79-83, division title 9%, wild card 2%)

Aided by the league's best park for home run hitters, Chicago finished third in the league in scoring last year. Well, that was last year. With Magglio Ordonez gone via free agency and Carlos Lee having been traded to Milwaukee, White Sox fans will be hoping their team can win with pitching, defense and speed.

The new faces are a leadoff hitter who's better stealing bases than getting on in the first place (Scott Podsednik, 70 SB and a .313 OBP in 2004), two guys who have been limited by leg injuries in recent years (Jermaine Dye and Carl Everett), a good-hitting catcher (A.J. Pierzynski), and a second baseman from Japan (Tadahito Iguchi) who projects to be an above-average hitter. Everett finished 2004 with Chicago, so he's not really a newcomer, but a full season at his peak level would go a long way toward replacing Ordonez's bat.

The Sox staff, which was 10th in the AL in runs allowed a year ago, is anchored by Mark Buehrle and Freddy Garcia. The rotation could be a plus if those two get some help from Jon Garland, 25, who was once considered a top prospect, and the Cuban duo of Orlando Hernandez and Jose Contreras. The bullpen looks thin despite the additions of Luis Vizcaino and Dustin Hermansen.

DVsoxfan
03-30-2005, 07:53 PM
The bullpen looks thin despite the additions of Luis Vizcaino and Dustin Hermansen.

huh.....:?: :?: :?: .....

Banix12
03-30-2005, 08:01 PM
I just saw this thing too. My feelings on this thing is that the Sox are basically a team that doesn't do well in these kind of pseudo-scientific projections.

They use a three year track record on these projections and the three year track record of most of our players frankly isn't that great. Uribe had a great year last year, average a few years before. Konerko had the two good years, with a lousy year sandwiched in between. Podsednik had the breakout season and last season. Pierzynski and Everett both coming off down seasons. Rowand comes off a breakout season. el duque missed all of one season in his 3 year projection. Contreras, well, is contreras.

It's just not an easy team to project because you don't know what team will show up. I'll just watch the games and hope for the best.

PAPChiSox729
03-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Enough with these projections! We need the season here fast!

veeter
03-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Although it's only spring training I think it's a fair sample in showing the Sox are STILL going to hit homeruns. This is just another retread thought that's been going around every press room. The Sox lost all their power ...blah, blah, blah. the Sox bullpen will be one of the tops in baseball.

jabrch
03-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Diamond Mind = Mindless Computer

There is no "mind" involved.

Banix12
03-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Enough with these projections! We need the season here fast!

Exactly...

If there has been one thing having all the games on Comcast has taught me this year is that the players are right, spring training is way too long. Should have been over a week and a half ago.

zach074
03-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Its official, anyone can make money guessing what is going to happen in baseball with no clue about the game at all.

shoota
03-30-2005, 10:47 PM
huh.....:?: :?: :?: .....

ditto. In all of the offseason projections of the 2005 White Sox, I have never read the bullpen being weak.

That comment gets a big huh? :?: