View Full Version : Sox Vs. Cubs according to TimeOut Chicago

SoxFan78
03-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Take a look at this heap of crap.

http://www.timeoutchicago.com/article.jsp?xy=features/5.ft.smack

Let me warn you, it will get your blood boiling. :angry:

Here's a example

Best Chicago-based eats

Cubs: Wrigley's kosher dogs earn points because they're delish, topped with heaping piles of freshly grilled onions. But those points are immediately subtracted because the dogs are provided by Hebrew National, which is based in New York. The ballpark's concession stands also serve Chicago-style dogs (topped with everything short of a jockstrap), and Connie's Pizza, a Chicago deep-dish institution.
Sox: First off, the good people at U.S. Cellular don't serve any deep-dish pizza at all. They do, however, offer Best's Kosher dogs, which are trucked a mere two miles to the Cell.
Advantage: Cubs. It's a close race, but Wrigley pulls ahead with its severe loyalty to Old Style. It's not Goose Island, but hey, we'll take what we can get. —David Tamarkin

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-30-2005, 04:27 PM
The White Sox threw the 1913 World Series? This article sucks.

Hangar18
03-30-2005, 04:33 PM
The SOX were the 1st ones to offer deep-dish Connies Pizza,
for them to Credit the cubs, and not mention that the sox were first
is horrible. Ive had that hotdog at wrigley, its AWFUL, right
next to Detroits hotdog.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-30-2005, 04:35 PM
The SOX were the 1st ones to offer deep-dish Connies Pizza,
for them to Credit the cubs, and not mention that the sox were first
is horrible. Ive had that hotdog at wrigley, its AWFUL, right
next to Detroits hotdog.
Yeah, really. Giving the Cubs credit for something the SOX had first(isn't that something new, Hangar? *cough Harry Caray cough*). I would never eat one of those "hot dogs" from Wrigley topped off with rat droppings.

:chunks

Hangar18
03-30-2005, 04:39 PM
The cubs shouldnt get credit for offering Old Stale. The Old Stale
Brewery FELL DOWN FRANTIC over themselves trying to do Something ......Anything.......Everything
they could to pretend they were aligned with the cub bandwagon all along.
Schmucks. Hey OldStale, Budweiser took over. Deal with it.

ewokpelts
03-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Take a look at this heap of crap.

http://www.timeoutchicago.com/article.jsp?xy=features/5.ft.smack

Let me warn you, it will get your blood boiling. :angry:

Here's a example
the sox serve connie's too...deep dish

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Last time I was a Wrigley (2003) they were serving boiled Oscar Meyers, the poorest excuse for a hot dog that ever existed.

zach074
03-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Cubs food is better than ours are they crazy?:?:

sti3
03-30-2005, 05:57 PM
I guess I'm not a real Sox fan because while some of the facts were wrong the basic story had a LIGHT TOUCH, something that seems incomprehensible to the folks on this list.

Yellow sky outside. Scary stuff.

DrCrawdad
03-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Right. The Cubs have stunk up the joint so far this year. But I find it interesting that the only time the Sox have more than 15000 in the yard is when the Cubs show up. Bless the blue collar types and their hatred of the north side. Jump into their Ford's and head to Comiskey, suck down a few Old Style's and pretend that it's a ball park for a few hours. And to think Tampa Bay might have had them on the cheap. - Cubbie fan, "FmrRanger." (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.sports.baseball.chicago-cubs/msg/96364f756c1bdf39?dmode=source)

Oblivious to the fact that Old Style is the Cubbies house brew.

Uncle_Patrick
03-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Please, I would be surprised if any of the losers writing this article had even ever been to a baseball game. The fact that they said the Cubs food is better than the White Sox proves that they've never eaten at either park. You'd have a tough time even finding a Cub fan who's been to both parks to back up that claim. And the Cubs scoreboard is better because of its age and lack of info?

:whatever:

Banix12
03-30-2005, 06:31 PM
It's obviously hack writers who have been to a total of three baseball games in their lives trying to be funny by bringing up tired stereotypes.

The only thing that gets me a bit upset is this description of die hard sox fans...

Sox fan: Prefers to let Chicago breezes caress bare, heavily tattooed torso; doesn't need no stinking pencil to remember every play; provides immediate, hands-on feedback to umpires' poor decision-making or opposing team's uppity first-base coach.

When can we put that stupid Ligue incident to rest. It happened one time two years ago.

We had one shirtless moron in the park 2 years ago who attacked someone on the field, the cubs have had thousands of shirtless morons in the bleachers for years, many of whom will attack you if you don't throw back an opposing hitter's homer.

As for the food, i've been to Wrigley as recently as last year and the only thing I really found edible there was the Nachos, cause frankly they can't screw that up. Bragging about stadium pizza is idiotic, pretty much no stadium makes great pizza, at least when you compare it to places you can go outside the park.

skobabe8
03-30-2005, 07:09 PM
It's obviously hack writers who have been to a total of three baseball games in their lives trying to be funny by bringing up tired stereotypes.

The only thing that gets me a bit upset is this description of die hard sox fans...

When can we put that stupid Ligue incident to rest. It happened one time two years ago.

We had one shirtless moron in the park 2 years ago who attacked someone on the field, the cubs have had thousands of shirtless morons in the bleachers for years, many of whom will attack you if you don't throw back an opposing hitter's homer.

As for the food, i've been to Wrigley as recently as last year and the only thing I really found edible there was the Nachos, cause frankly they can't screw that up. Bragging about stadium pizza is idiotic, pretty much no stadium makes great pizza, at least when you compare it to places you can go outside the park.

All true, and just to elaborate about Ligue, since no one seems to care. HE WAS A CUBS FAN! His girlfriend said to reporters, "I don't know what he was doing there. He's a huge Cubs fan." He attended the Cubs game in the day time, and got drunk there, then came to the Sox night game and got more drunk.

HomeFish
03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
That may be the most retarded thing I have ever read.

Banix12
03-30-2005, 07:37 PM
What I find most idiotic about this is this is a chicago entertainment guide, obviously their main focus should be to sell magazines to people who are looking for entertainment around the city. What good does it do your magazine to completely irritate a good chunk of the city population? It would have been much more productive to make two separate articles writing about what to find at each stadium instead writing one really nasty one that obviously favors one over another.

Those morons don't realize the magazine business is about selling subscriptions and writing articles that lead people to your magazine. That's how hacks like these keep their jobs. What reason would I or any self respecting sox fan ever have to read this magazine now that we have read this?

Please, if any of you get this thing, cancel your subscription and tell them this is the reason why.

TheBull19
03-30-2005, 07:39 PM
You guys may have been too disgusted to read to the end - the final score -

"Final score: 12–12

Since our deadline precludes extra innings, we're handing this one to the Cell. Sure, it may look like a rock arena, but at least it isn't turning into one. With the prospect of the friendly confines being turned over to Jimmy Buffett and his flock of Parrotheads for a Labor Day-concert—and the stadium's uncertain structural integrity—we're sticking to the South Side this summer. Here's hoping a chunk of concrete doesn't land in your cheeseburger in paradise"

Considering the obvious error in the "best food" category, it shouldn't have come to that, but at least this makes up for it a bit.

robertks61
03-30-2005, 07:47 PM
You guys may have been too disgusted to read to the end - the final score -

After reading about the food I gave up.

sti3
03-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Right. Cause SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING BAD ABOUT THE SOX I went and torched every display of Time Out Chicago I saw the rest of the afternoon.

Is it a requirement for every Sox fan to have a thin skin? Lighten the f__k up people.

CubKilla
03-30-2005, 11:30 PM
All true, and just to elaborate about Ligue, since no one seems to care. HE WAS A CUBS FAN! His girlfriend said to reporters, "I don't know what he was doing there. He's a huge Cubs fan." He attended the Cubs game in the day time, and got drunk there, then came to the Sox night game and got more drunk.

That was the idiot the year after who attacked the 1B umpire. His last name was Dybas or something like that.

fquaye149
03-31-2005, 06:38 AM
Right. Cause SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING BAD ABOUT THE SOX I went and torched every display of Time Out Chicago I saw the rest of the afternoon.

Is it a requirement for every Sox fan to have a thin skin? Lighten the f__k up people.

ask the camel's back about the straw.

BigEdWalsh
03-31-2005, 07:20 AM
What a load of crap. There might be one baseball fan amongst the contributers and he's a Cubbie fan.:whoflungpoo

irish rover
03-31-2005, 10:54 AM
As a former resident of Bridgeport I found this completly offensive

"As you pass a crowded porch party, a bleary-eyed lout removes his lips from the keg tap long enough to monosyllabically note that you are: (a) not Caucasian; (b) not obviously Catholic; (c) not wearing a Sox jersey; and (d) walking upright, using your opposable thumbs to manipulate a device that marks you as a member of the liberal, cultural elite (an iPod). You stare straight ahead and quicken your pace as the motley troop begins chattering in some guttural dialect and moving off the porch onto the lawn. Keep walking, Bridgeport tourist, keep walking. "

sti3
03-31-2005, 11:00 AM
If ipods had existed when I lived in BP I would have jacked anyone I saw with one, that's for sure.

batmanZoSo
03-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Last time I was a Wrigley (2003) they were serving boiled Oscar Meyers, the poorest excuse for a hot dog that ever existed.

Boiled Oscar Meyer=lips and a-holes. That's really what they sell at wrigley? Hm. I guess you really are what you eat.

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
I happen to prefer Old Style to most any other mass-marketed beer (they do sell it at Beers of the World at the Cell, btw, Crawdad), but to say Wrigley's food is superior is pretty ignorant. If the writer is giving the food nod to Wrigley just because of Old Style, he's obviously oblivious to the Beers of the World stands, which feature about a dozen different brands of beers.

Whatever. The whole thing is a steaming POS geared towards morons.

PatK
03-31-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm sorry, but any grown man that writes "delish" in an article has no credibility whatsoever.

That article sucked.

I'm surprised they didn't give the edge to Wrigley for being closer to Boystown.

Brian26
03-31-2005, 12:36 PM
I saw that rag at the newstand the other day. I thought about picking it up since we're running low on toilet paper at home.

Cellview22
03-31-2005, 07:44 PM
What a horrible article.

That didnt get my blood boiling as much as seeing a guy in Dominick's today wearing a Sox Suck t-shirt (in Oak Brook). HE just looked like a punk. I noticed it first because on the front in bold letters it read THEY GONE!

Why would you wear that anywhere other than the game? He must be obsessed with the Sox.

Stroker Ace
03-31-2005, 10:37 PM
How could the shrines food possibly be better than ours?

skobabe8
03-31-2005, 10:54 PM
That was the idiot the year after who attacked the 1B umpire. His last name was Dybas or something like that.

My fault.

StillMissOzzie
04-01-2005, 12:51 AM
I happen to prefer Old Style to most any other mass-marketed beer (they do sell it at Beers of the World at the Cell, btw, Crawdad), but to say Wrigley's food is superior is pretty ignorant. If the writer is giving the food nod to Wrigley just because of Old Style, he's obviously oblivious to the Beers of the World stands, which feature about a dozen different brands of beers.

Whatever. The whole thing is a steaming POS geared towards morons.

Let alone the Heineken, Beck's, Leinenkugel Red, etc. that are on tap at various locations as well. Preference of Dog Style clearly demonstrates their supeior taste.

SMO
:gulp:

TommyJohn
04-01-2005, 08:52 AM

I suppose I should have a sense of humor about the Ligue incident, even as
it is rehashed 1,423,347 times by writers like this twit. What really bothers me
is that none of these jerks ever mention John Murray. Anybody out there
remember who John Murray was? Anybody? Does this ******* writer even know?
I doubt it.

DrCrawdad
04-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I suppose I should have a sense of humor about the Ligue incident, even as
it is rehashed 1,423,347 times by writers like this twit. What really bothers me
is that none of these jerks ever mention John Murray. Anybody out there
remember who John Murray was? Anybody? Does this ******* writer even know?
I doubt it.

Who can forget the 51 games John Murray (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/murrare01.shtml) played for the Cubbies back in 1915?

:)

Ok, actually I don't know who the John Murray you're referring to. Is that the guy who attacked the Cub pitcher back in about '94 or '95?

Lip Man 1
04-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Actually when the fight broke out between the Dodgers and Cub fans the Randy Myers incident was mentioned quiet often.

Lip

sendimjoey
04-01-2005, 10:36 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-0504010319apr01,1,7965421.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

This article puts the lie to the notion that Wrigley has better food than the Cell.

TommyJohn
04-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Who can forget the 51 games John Murray (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/murrare01.shtml) played for the Cubbies back in 1915?

:)

Ok, actually I don't know who the John Murray you're referring to. Is that the guy who attacked the Cub pitcher back in about '94 or '95?

Yes it is.

TommyJohn
04-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Actually when the fight broke out between the Dodgers and Cub fans the Randy Myers incident was mentioned quiet often.

Lip

I was living in LA at the time, so of course it was news out there too. Obviously
I don't know what the Chicago papers said. However, it is safe to say that both
incidents have pretty much faded into the background, while Ligue jokes still
fly around fast and furious. Where are Kass and Roeper when you truly need
them? *sigh*

DrCrawdad
04-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Yes it is.

It is funny how the Sox and Sox fans get painted with the broad brush as a result of the Ligue's and that Cub fan's isolated actions at the Cell and virtually no one knows or talks about violence and fan misbehavior at The Shrine.

DSpivack
04-01-2005, 02:31 PM
you know what the funniest thing is? they contradict themselves at the end, not surprising given the stupidity of the article before that:

Since our deadline precludes extra innings, we're handing this one to the Cell. Sure, it may look like a rock arena, but at least it isn't turning into one. With the prospect of the friendly confines being turned over to Jimmy Buffett and his flock of Parrotheads for a Labor Day-concert—and the stadium's uncertain structural integrity—we're sticking to the South Side this summer. Here's hoping a chunk of concrete doesn't land in your cheeseburger in paradise.

sti3
04-01-2005, 03:37 PM
how is that contradicting the rest of the article.

guys, they said the Sox had BETTER BARS. How many other pieces comparing the two teams have said that?