PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo!/Ryne Sandberg Predictions

Sell Jerry Sell!
03-30-2005, 02:37 PM
He predicts the Sox to come in second in the division but predicts them to win the wild card

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-spring05alcentral&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

DaleJRFan
03-30-2005, 02:41 PM
He predicts the Sox to come in second in the division but predicts them to win the wild card

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-spring05alcentral&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Sox only hope of playoff baseball is to win the division. Wildcard will go to the team finishing second in the AL East, unfortunately.

spawn
03-30-2005, 03:07 PM
AL Central Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqdjIzNzFqBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwNl Y2w-?slug=rs-spring05alcentral&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

wdelaney72
03-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Well, that shows how much Ryno follows AL baseball.

The wildcard coming out of the AL Central?
:rolling:

veeter
03-30-2005, 04:12 PM
The Sox only hope of playoff baseball is to win the division. Wildcard will go to the team finishing second in the AL East, unfortunately. I disagree. I think Boston is in for a long year. Aside from Schilling I just don't like their pitching at all. Clement is in for a rude awakening in the AL. And David Wells? I think an AL central wildcard is possible. With the A's looking down and Texas being Texas, the West overall might be weak. I just think either the Sox or Twins can equal anyone's record in the AL except for the 200 million dollar Yanks.

brewerfan
03-30-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm gonna agree with Veeter here. Look at their rotation:
1. Schilling is hurt
2. Wells is old
3. Clement is Clement, wild and not clutch as he is.
4. Wade Miller is coming back from injury, and has never stayed healthy.
5. Wakefield just isn't that good.

There is a lot that could go wrong.

samram
03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm gonna agree with Veeter here. Look at their rotation:
1. Schilling is hurt
2. Wells is old
3. Clement is Clement, wild and not clutch as he is.
4. Wade Miller is coming back from injury, and has never stayed healthy.
5. Wakefield just isn't that good.

There is a lot that could go wrong.

True, but their offense is very good and they will try to fill any holes before the trade deadline.

Foulke You
03-30-2005, 07:26 PM
I disagree. I think Boston is in for a long year. Aside from Schilling I just don't like their pitching at all. Clement is in for a rude awakening in the AL. And David Wells? I think an AL central wildcard is possible. With the A's looking down and Texas being Texas, the West overall might be weak. I just think either the Sox or Twins can equal anyone's record in the AL except for the 200 million dollar Yanks.

You summed up my thinking in a nutshell Veeter. I would say the Red Sox are far from a Wild Card lock. Clement/Wells is a significant downgrade from Pedro/Lowe in my opinion. I think a flyball pitcher like Wells who is over the age of 40 could be a disaster at Fenway, Clement is unproven in the AL and coming off a year where he won 9 games, and the back end of the rotation is still Bronson Arroyo and Tim Wakefield. Solid, yes, but not exactly overwhelming. I like the White Sox rotation better to be honest, however, the Red Sox have the superior offense.

samram makes a good point though, if pitching is a weakness, you know the Carmines will make a big trade at the deadline but by then they may be far behind the Yankees and have to fight off other possible AL Wild Card suitors like the White Sox or Rangers.

TheBull19
03-30-2005, 07:28 PM
... by then they may be far behind the Yankees and have to fight off other possible AL Wild Card suitors like the White Sox or Rangers.

Don't you mean the Twins or Rangers?

owensmouth
03-30-2005, 07:34 PM
True, but their offense is very good and they will try to fill any holes before the trade deadline.

As the Yankees found out last year, it's difficult to replace your starting staff at the trading deadline.

Put another way, of all the in season trades of starting pitchers last year, the White Sox probably got the best one (Freddie).

samram
03-30-2005, 07:45 PM
As the Yankees found out last year, it's difficult to replace your starting staff at the trading deadline.

Put another way, of all the in season trades of starting pitchers last year, the White Sox probably got the best one (Freddie).

That's why I said "try.":D:

PAPChiSox729
03-30-2005, 08:09 PM
I still don't think the wild card coming from the AL Central is very likely to happen. I mean, yes the Red Sox rotation can have a few problems, but with Contreras and a injury-prone El Duque, I really can't truthfully say that our rotation is much better. They have a better lineup. We have a better bullpen, but still it is going to be 'AL Central Crown or Bust' for our Sox.

HITMEN OF 77
03-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Why even worry or argue over us getting the wildcard? Were going to win the division. Let the twinks and motor city kitty fans argue over that.

zach074
03-30-2005, 10:08 PM
You can buy a playoff spot in Major League Baseball but not a World Series, there is no hope for the Sox to win the wild card it will be the Red Sox or Yankees.

MrRoboto83
03-31-2005, 12:13 AM
The fact of the matter is, Ryan Sandberg thinks the Sox are going to be the surprise of the AL this year, it is nice to have some support out there. Since no one else is paying us any attention.

JB98
03-31-2005, 12:54 AM
The fact of the matter is, Ryan Sandberg thinks the Sox are going to be the surprise of the AL this year, it is nice to have some support out there. Since no one else is paying us any attention.

Don't get too excited. Sandberg picked the Cubs to win the NL wild card as well, so I don't know how much I trust his opinion.

Tragg
03-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Did Sandberg talke black jack's place on yahoo?

wdelaney72
03-31-2005, 08:45 AM
The Red Sox also have Bronson Aroyo to start. They're SP isn't as good as last year, but I think it's a little deeper. A few things need to be kept in mind:

Matt Clement's breakdown is most likely a result of being an overworked pitcher. His manager was Dusty Baker, he statistically is the hardest on his starting pitchers, and with the bullpen they've had, I don't necessarily blame him.

David Wells may be a tool and old, but like Randy Johnson, until he proves otherwise, he's a VERY good starting pitcher. He's not Pedro, but he's likely to be better than Lowe. Remember, take away the playoffs and Lowe was pretty bad last year.

Schllling will be back fairly early in the season. He'll be fine.

I'm not a Red Sox fan. Like many others on this board, I'm tired of all the Boston love, but their team is good... period.

BigEdWalsh
03-31-2005, 09:10 AM
:worship: Rhino

MrRoboto83
03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Don't get too excited. Sandberg picked the Cubs to win the NL wild card as well, so I don't know how much I trust his opinion.

not that I trust his prediction, it is just nice to see some Sox support in a prediction.

NardiWasHere
03-31-2005, 12:47 PM
With the unbalanced schedule, I dont think it would be impossible to have the wild card come out of the central. Remember, we play a lot of games against Kc and the over-rated tigers. I dont know how much tougher the tribe will be compared to balt. If BOS falters and CWS/MINN take care of the Central cellar-dwellers, dont be supprised if only one east team will be in the postseason.

doublem23
03-31-2005, 09:50 PM
... but Sox to win the Wild Card.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpa2lpNnFzBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=rs-spring05alcentral&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

MRKARNO
03-31-2005, 10:03 PM
There's a thread on this already...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47347