PDA

View Full Version : Boston.com looks at AL Central

Fenway
03-30-2005, 02:24 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/03_30_05/

Ah, the excitement of the AL Central. Send us your poor, baseball, and we shall house them.

In a division featuring also-rans Detroit and Cleveland, as well as stuck-in-the-muck Kansas City, the Central will once again be a two-team race, and has the potential to be a one-team race by the Fourth of July.

Chicago White Sox

In losing their best player in Magglio Ordonez to the Detroit Tigers, and trading away Carlos Lee to the Brewers, the White Sox are going to have to rely primarily on their pitching to compete in the AL Central. Calm down, Esteban Loaiza is no longer here (thank you, Brian Cashman), so they might have a shot at doing so. In fact, the starting rotation could be considered one of the top five in the American League, which might not say so much about the White Sox as a staff as much as the dearth of quality hurlers in the junior circuit.

SoxSpeed22
03-30-2005, 02:29 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/03_30_05/

Ah, the excitement of the AL Central. Send us your poor, baseball, and we shall house them.

In a division featuring also-rans Detroit and Cleveland, as well as stuck-in-the-muck Kansas City, the Central will once again be a two-team race, and has the potential to be a one-team race by the Fourth of July.

Chicago White Sox

In losing their best player in Magglio Ordonez to the Detroit Tigers, and trading away Carlos Lee to the Brewers, the White Sox are going to have to rely primarily on their pitching to compete in the AL Central. Calm down, Esteban Loaiza is no longer here (thank you, Brian Cashman), so they might have a shot at doing so. In fact, the starting rotation could be considered one of the top five in the American League, which might not say so much about the White Sox as a staff as much as the dearth of quality hurlers in the junior circuit.Where do they get their facts from? ESPN?

Soxzilla
03-30-2005, 02:33 PM
I think we found out where ESPN gets their facts from.

Fixed.:wink:

Kuzman
03-30-2005, 02:33 PM
For some reason this doesn't seem possible with the power houses in the East.
Possible wild card entrants: Chicago White Sox

Iwritecode
03-30-2005, 02:35 PM
I guess I can't really argue with it too much. He picks the Twins to win again with the Sox as a possible WC team. There's plenty of reasons the Twins are the favorites.

Gets some pretty good shots at the Indians, Tigers and Royals though. :D:

wdelaney72
03-30-2005, 03:52 PM
I guess I can't really argue with it too much. He picks the Twins to win again with the Sox as a possible WC team. There's plenty of reasons the Twins are the favorites.

Gets some pretty good shots at the Indians, Tigers and Royals though. :D:

I agree with the article. The Twins are favored, and they should be. They have the Whtie Sox as a possible spoiler. At least they didn't jump on the Cleveland and Detroit bandwagon.

I can't wait to see the Indians and Tigers finish in 3rd and 4th place.

Fenway
03-30-2005, 07:04 PM
I think Wilbur is being objective as well when doing Wild Card math. With the unbalanced schedule anything can happen.

Kansas City looks like dogmeat and I don't see Detroit and Cleveland improving by much. The key to the White Sox season is hold your own against the Twins and have the other 3 teams for lunch.

In the West, you have to assume Seattle HAS to be better. Oakland maybe the 4th place team but no way do they have 90 or more losses so that will make it that much harder for the Wild Card to come from there.

The East? Yankees and Boston will probably once again cancel each other out during the regular season and the division will be decided by the games against Baltimore, Tampa and Toronto. That was the case last year as the Yankees owned the Orioles and the Red Sox had problems with The Birds.

Look in 2003 the White Sox SHOULD have been much closer than 9 games out in the Wild Card but for whatever reason you had problems with Detroit.

So yes the White Sox "should" be considered for the Wild Card if KW's moves turn out to work.

Foulke You
03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
CLEVELAND INDIANS-
"Kevin Millwood is here to steal $11 million for winning eight games."

:roflmao:

Fenway
04-01-2005, 03:01 PM
The Globe had its huge baseball section today and the so called experts made their picks

On the White Sox they all seem to think that if Frank comes back healthy it could be a good season on 35th

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/graphics/04_01_05_picks/

Iwritecode
04-01-2005, 03:07 PM
The Globe had its huge baseball section today and the so called experts made their picks

On the White Sox they all seem to think that if Frank comes back healthy it could be a good season on 35th

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/graphics/04_01_05_picks/

Wow, they really went out on a limb with that "prediction". That's like saying that if it rains everything is probably going to get wet... :rolleyes:

Fenway
04-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Wow, they really went out on a limb with that "prediction". That's like saying that if it rains everything is probably going to get wet... :rolleyes:

Hey they knew he was hurt so they are paying attention :smile:

Iwritecode
04-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey they knew he was hurt so they are paying attention :smile:

Good point. :D:

Tekijawa
04-01-2005, 03:25 PM
:boston
"Who's Frank Thomas?"

Fenway
04-01-2005, 03:30 PM
My Kind of Town
http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/music/other_stories/images/03501763.gif

MeanFish
04-01-2005, 03:54 PM
If Frank doesn't come back healthy, we've still got a good chance at being competitive if Carl does what we all think he's going to do this year.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-01-2005, 11:47 PM
If Frank doesn't come back healthy, we've still got a good chance at being competitive if Carl does what we all think he's going to do this year.

I like Carl, a lot. But he isn't Frank. We'll need Frank to win the division.